Common Advice Needed for Visa Interview

Answers to your qestions about moving to, and living in, Peru,
Cenzo6945
Silver Member
Silver Member

Common Advice Needed for Visa Interview

Postby Cenzo6945 » Thu Sep 15, 2011 9:58 pm

Hi Compadres!...
As is such the common question... Any Advice, for my Peruvian wife, who is going for her visa interview soon? She was turned down 2x years ago, as a tourist, so she is a bit nervous. This time we are married(in Peru) and there will be a whole batch of new questions she will face. She also speaks little english, but not enough to understand anything that is said to her. Also she will need to start at the medical, and saw a list of vaccines that she needs to have. She is so terrified of this, she wants to cancel the whole thing!! jajaja So I am looking for ANY and ALL advice possible. Yes I am also looking on visajourney, but I feel more comfortable here... THANKS GUYS!!!

kazalex

Re: Common Advice Needed for Visa Interview

Postby kazalex » Fri Sep 16, 2011 12:21 am

You do not specify what country you are talking about. We have been through the interview process, but it was for Australia. If you are talking about the States, then its different, and I won't go through our experience.
falconagain
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby falconagain » Fri Sep 16, 2011 1:21 pm

First thing that you need to take in account is if you will get the good cop or bad cop
interviewer. This happens completely at random at the US Embassy as on different
days the same interviewer plays one or the other.

After that they will start with the questions: Name, DOB, Place where you leave,
relatives (specially if any of them are in the US), do you keep contact with them,
how many times have you traveled abroad (sometimes they request the official
record of all your trips abroad, I do not remember the name of the Peruvian Paper),
how did you meet your husband, how long have you been together, do you live
together, sometimes they will ask you some personal questions like what kind
of cologne he uses, or if you met his parents already. The questions are all
shuffled and made in rapid progression (everything is recorded). The purpose
of the interview is to find if there is any discrepancy between what you say
and what the paperwork provided says. So as long as you come relaxed and
tell the truth there will be no problems.

Now, this is knew, sometimes because of the economic crisis the interviewer
may make a comment that is not a question and is completely out of place;
something like "I hope that you are not looking for employment in the US"
(I have heard this from some new Peruvian residents that got their interview
in the last year) or other words to that effect. It is obviously unprofessional
but is better to just ignore it and continue with the interview.
Cenzo6945
Silver Member
Silver Member

Postby Cenzo6945 » Fri Sep 16, 2011 2:45 pm

Hey Sorry I didn't say what country it was for.. its US embassy. Thanks for the great info Falcon. I get that question about the work, But what is it they are looking for? I would asume the would not want her to work in USA but should she be honest and say, "well one day I may work here in the future?"
Any knowledge of these vaccines? thanks!
falconagain
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby falconagain » Fri Sep 16, 2011 3:03 pm

In regards to the work question, is improper for them to make it. The best possible
answer is: "I will always follow the law" and continue with the interview.

In regards to the vaccines I do not know. I am male so I got only 4. After getting
them I was extremely dizzy the whole next day. I do not know what kind of vaccines
apply to females.
el conquistador

Postby el conquistador » Fri Sep 16, 2011 4:24 pm

Cenzo6945 wrote:Hi Compadres!...
As is such the common question... Any Advice, for my Peruvian wife, who is going for her visa interview soon? She was turned down 2x years ago, as a tourist, so she is a bit nervous. This time we are married(in Peru) and there will be a whole batch of new questions she will face.

If she's your wife, she normally has automatically the right to join you and has the right to work as well without any restrictions. They cannnot turn down the visa application unless they have prove that you just got married to get a visa.
Kelly

Postby Kelly » Fri Sep 16, 2011 4:59 pm

That's simply not true. They can turn her down for a variety of reasons. In fact, people who have been living in the US and already have a visa can be deported for the same variety of reasons.
el conquistador

Postby el conquistador » Fri Sep 16, 2011 5:04 pm

Kelly wrote:That's simply not true. They can turn her down for a variety of reasons. In fact, people who have been living in the US and already have a visa can be deported for the same variety of reasons.

Oh, I forgot I was for the US. That's more complicated of course.

In december my novia and I will be travelling to Turkey. The visa for Turkey is giving on the spot. She just needs a return ticket and travel insurance. But the cheapest flights are via the US. Although she will only be on the airport to transfer, she needs a visa. Strange.
So we will be flying via Rio De Janeiro. A bit more expensive but no visa required for us.
jimmyglen
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby jimmyglen » Fri Sep 16, 2011 6:38 pm

did you search the archives?

search for "visa interview" for an older thread on the same subject

best of luck!
TE AMO PERU!
KateW
Silver Member
Silver Member

Postby KateW » Sat Sep 17, 2011 12:13 pm

You didn't specify if your wife is applying for a tourist visa again or an immigrant visa. I am a US citizen and my husband, a Peruvian, applied for a tourist visa when we were engaged (denied) and again after we were married (denied again). After the second denial, the interviewer told him to hot waste his money applying for a tourist visa because he will never qualify because he's married to a US citizen. I'm sure people have been granted a tourist visa after marriage, but our experience was not successful.

Another alternative you have is an immigrant visa, but of course this means that you will be obligated to move to the states within 6 months of the granting of the visa. If you have been a legal resident here in Peru for more than 1 year, you can apply for an immigrant visa through "Direct Consulate Filing" which in total took us 2 months to get his immigrant visa, green card and permanent residency. This gives his the opportunity to work, drive and travel as soon as we move to the states.

My husband did not need any vaccines for the tourist visa, but he did for the immigrant visa. The visa interview was very simple. All he was asked was when/how we met, and how long we had been together. Of course we do have a son together which probably works to our advantage when it comes to justifying a legitimate relationship in the US Embassy's eyes.

We very recently went through the whole process and all the details are still very fresh, so please let me know if you have any other questions! Good Luck and relax!
el conquistador

Postby el conquistador » Sat Sep 17, 2011 4:08 pm

KateW wrote:You didn't specify if your wife is applying for a tourist visa again or an immigrant visa. I am a US citizen and my husband, a Peruvian, applied for a tourist visa when we were engaged (denied) and again after we were married (denied again). After the second denial, the interviewer told him to hot waste his money applying for a tourist visa because he will never qualify because he's married to a US citizen. I'm sure people have been granted a tourist visa after marriage, but our experience was not successful.

We very recently went through the whole process and all the details are still very fresh, so please let me know if you have any other questions! Good Luck and relax!

And then the US government is thinking, why are there so many illegals in the US?
Simply, it's almost impossible to enter legally.

A friend of mine, got married to a Mexican girl. He's American. They applied many times for a visa. Always denied. At the end, they paid someone to smuggle her accros the border. She found a job, got a child (born in the US) and after 5 years got amnesty and got a green card.
But he told me that his wife was better off when she was illegal. No taxes to pay, free healthcare and free education.
Mr. X
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby Mr. X » Sat Sep 17, 2011 10:52 pm

Cenzo,
Regarding the list of vaccines, it's a long list but not all vaccines will be required. I gasped at the length of the list but the doctor only required two from the list.

If your wife is apprehensive you can accompany her to the interview. My Peruvian wife made it here (to the US) this year after the embassy asked for more documents at the original interview.
rama0929
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby rama0929 » Sun Sep 18, 2011 11:24 pm

el conquistador wrote:A friend of mine, got married to a Mexican girl. He's American. They applied many times for a visa. Always denied. At the end, they paid someone to smuggle her accros the border. She found a job, got a child (born in the US) and after 5 years got amnesty and got a green card.
But he told me that his wife was better off when she was illegal. No taxes to pay, free healthcare and free education.

Of course one has to ask if she was better off illegally, why go through the process of applying and getting amnesty and a green card... ^_^

No such thing as free healthcare, nor is there a such thing as free education. The taxpayers are paying for it.
jude
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby jude » Mon Sep 19, 2011 2:21 pm

This is going to be easier than an interview for a tourist visa. As long as it's provable that the marriage is a real one, and that you have the financial means to support her in the US she'll get the visa.

I'd definitely go along to the interview with her, and maybe take along some photos and other things that show you are living happily together.
Rickee

Postby Rickee » Mon Sep 19, 2011 2:59 pm

This is a litle off topic but has anyone had experience with applying for an Schengen (EU) tourist visa for their spouse? We're getting ready to apply and I'm hoping is a lot less arbitrary and anxiety ridden than the US visa process.

Return to “Expat Information”

Login  •  Register