What are my possibilities????

Answers to your qestions about moving to, and living in, Peru,
liz51790

What are my possibilities????

Postby liz51790 » Mon Sep 19, 2011 2:25 am

Hello everyone!

This is my situation. I'm 22 years old woman and i lived in the US for around 8 years. i entered the country with a turist visa. i was suppose to come back after 6 month which i didnt do it, so i stayed as an ilegal resident. The point is that im engage to an American Citizen, my fiance is originally from Iran, but because of the circustances i had to come back to Peru. Now im living here for around a year we want to get married but i dont what should we do. would be more difficult for me to come back to the US? How long will this process last?

Arroz con Pollo
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: What are my possibilities????

Postby Arroz con Pollo » Mon Sep 19, 2011 10:32 am

Contact an immigrations lawyer in the US.
jude
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby jude » Mon Sep 19, 2011 2:17 pm

You definitely need a lawyer.

Overstaying a visa by years is serious, you're barred from re-entering the US for 10 years. That can be waived if your spouse can prove he will suffer "extreme hardship" if you're denied entry for so long. Hardship to you is irrelevant, just to the US citizen spouse. I've no clue how you prove that, a lawyer would know how to work it.

Still, nothing stops you from marrying and living happily ever after in Peru.
el conquistador

Postby el conquistador » Tue Sep 20, 2011 5:25 pm

8 years illegal in the US??? You could easily have got amnesty. If you work in the US and pay taxes as an illegal citizen then you could have got amnesty.

I suggest that you contact www.casademaryland.org (301) 431 4177

It's an organisation supported by the US government that helps illegal immigrants with various things.
Such as amnesty, job search, paying taxes, illegal parents with US born children, avoiding deportation, affordable housing, refugees, free education (Maryland dream act), etc.

Most people who work for them speak Spanish.
inscop
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby inscop » Fri Sep 23, 2011 7:37 pm

You leave a lot of questions unanswered that would help to determine what you need to do.

You state that your finance is originally from Iran. What is is his current US immigration status? If he is a US citizen, he can petition on your behalf, and barring any other legal difficulties arising from your illegal overstay, you could be back in the US in mere months. You would be required to either be married or get married within in four months. (The funny part of that law is that you do not have to marry HIM. You can marry ANYONE.).

If he is a lawfully admitted permanent resident alien, then your status is lower than that of the spouse of a US citizen and it could take many months or years to get your visa.

No one else will say it so I will. Think long and hard about marrying an Iranian. Read some of the stories from mothers whose children are taken to Iran or other countries like that and never returned to the US. Everything seems wonderful and like a bowl of cherries right now, but when things become bad, they can get very bad indeed in that kind of situation. I am not saying it will happen to you. I am just saying, there are plenty of handsome, intelligent young men in Peru who would love to have someone just like you.
viernes
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby viernes » Fri Sep 23, 2011 10:21 pm

Well, I'm wondering why the fact that he's from Iran is even relevant if he's an american citizen.?.?

But yeah, the biggest thing is that you should have never left the U.S. once you got engaged. You should have been married there to make things much easier, but now that you have you'll have to apply for a fiance visa with an 129-f, or get married in Peru and then apply for the visa as the spouse of an american citizen. Either way, there are consequences for overstaying a visa in the US, and even if you apply, and the embassy approves your visa, you could still be denied entry when they see that you should have left and didn't previously. So first things first, get that resolved. On the other hand, you just never know with USCIS, the embassy, and the people in charge at the border....

Check out Visajourney, you might find someone who's been there or is now there...

Return to “Expat Information”

Login  •  Register