Favorite Breakfast Places

Answers to your qestions about moving to, and living in, Peru,
edgeclinger
Gold Member
Gold Member

Favorite Breakfast Places

Postby edgeclinger » Thu Sep 22, 2011 7:16 pm

Do you have a favorite place for breakfast? Like maybe a place to meet up with friends on a Sunday morning for good conversation and relaxed eating?
I know San Antonio and Tanta are always good. And we recently "discovered" VLady on Av. Paseo de la República con Junín (http://www.vlady.com.pe/locales/). Any other ideas?
Lauris

Loving Living in Lima
MarcoPE
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: Favorite Breakfast Places

Postby MarcoPE » Thu Sep 22, 2011 9:58 pm

dxynpg
Last edited by MarcoPE on Wed Dec 21, 2011 11:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
edgeclinger
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby edgeclinger » Thu Sep 22, 2011 10:08 pm

You probably did, Mike! We were trying to learn and absorb a lot of stuff 10 months ago. But just like La Bistecca, we may have heard about it, but had no idea it was around the corner from our house! What a cool place! So thanks for the recommendation, even if I didn't remember it!
Lauris
Loving Living in Lima
MarcoPE
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby MarcoPE » Thu Sep 22, 2011 10:10 pm

dxynpg
Last edited by MarcoPE on Wed Dec 21, 2011 11:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
yoenlima
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby yoenlima » Fri Sep 23, 2011 11:17 am

Food is great at Vlady's (I'm a regular), but service is awful! Two months ago, I was with my 4 year old and she wanted an ice cream. I purchased one and asked the lady to have her cone placed in a cup (my daughter would have made a mess in the car if she was to handle the cone by herself. The server told me that she either gave me the cone or the cup but not both. I asked if I could pay for the cup, she said no. It was either one or the other. I don't understand. This was just one example. We have numerous ones. So, be prepared to put up with attitudes and total lack of customer service. Unfortunately, the 'zambitos' are my husdand's weakness and we keep coming back. We have complained to the management, but they don't seem to change their ways.
-Yoenlima
el conquistador

Postby el conquistador » Fri Sep 23, 2011 3:39 pm

The jugerias at the markets are the best places for breakfast.

Fresh juices, delicious breadrolls.

I hardly wake up before noon, so I rarely eat breakfast.
TonyLeslie
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby TonyLeslie » Fri Sep 23, 2011 4:06 pm

Between Edgeclinger and Marcope, does this mean the Weekly Coffee Group, who are already into their afternoon coffee meets, evening meals and Spanish conversation discussions, are now going to expand into group breakfasts as well?

There is no doubt about us, we must be one of the most active social groups operating out of Expat Peru.

I do not know any good breakfast spots, but I am now thinking that maybe I should try and broaden my experiences in Lima even further.
ehat
Silver Member
Silver Member

Postby ehat » Fri Sep 23, 2011 5:09 pm

Don Mamino´s is pretty tasty, and seems like a nice place for relaxed eating and conversation. A place that is not really for relaxed eating, but is good for yummy breakfasts is Chicharrones del Inca, for pan con chicharron with some juice.
calygirl
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby calygirl » Fri Sep 23, 2011 7:03 pm

Gianfranco's on Av. Angamos Oeste (about two blocks from Comandante Espinar) is a great place, fantastic coffee and great atmosphere. Tasty breakfast foods, juices, etc.
rama0929
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby rama0929 » Fri Sep 23, 2011 7:04 pm

TonyLeslie wrote:I do not know any good breakfast spots, but I am now thinking that maybe I should try and broaden my experiences in Lima even further.

And your waistline! :lol:
TonyLeslie
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby TonyLeslie » Sun Sep 25, 2011 10:15 am

No problem Rama0929, I am sure the waistline will catch up with my self image within a year or two. In any case, always happy to walk from Breña to Miraflores for breakfast just for the company and conversation of the Weekly Coffee Group Members.
bmike1
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby bmike1 » Mon Sep 26, 2011 5:09 pm

I was just thinking about something like this earlier. I was helping someone with his English who was going to Tempe, Arizona for a couple of months and I advised him to go to IHOP. That is what Peru needs!
:-)~mike~(-:
rama0929
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby rama0929 » Mon Sep 26, 2011 5:14 pm

bmike1 wrote:I was just thinking about something like this earlier. I was helping someone with his English who was going to Tempe, Arizona for a couple of months and I advised him to go to IHOP. That is what Peru needs!

Are there dedicated breakfast spots in Peru? I usually get a homecooked meal, be it ham and eggs or oatmeal or cebada (I forget the name of it)
renodante
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby renodante » Mon Sep 26, 2011 5:31 pm

rama0929 wrote:
bmike1 wrote:I was just thinking about something like this earlier. I was helping someone with his English who was going to Tempe, Arizona for a couple of months and I advised him to go to IHOP. That is what Peru needs!

Are there dedicated breakfast spots in Peru? I usually get a homecooked meal, be it ham and eggs or oatmeal or cebada (I forget the name of it)

the hotel doubletree's breakfast buffet is BALLIN
calygirl
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby calygirl » Tue Sep 27, 2011 12:53 pm

Here's another place...didn't make it here last year, but hopefully I get there next year. They are supposed to have fantastic eggs benedict, one of my favorite breakfast items . If anyone has gone here, or goes in the future, give us a review.
http://www.lafoliecafe.com/
bmike1
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby bmike1 » Wed Sep 28, 2011 1:17 pm

they have an incredible website! I forgot to mention that the guy who went to IHOP thought it was very good.
:-)~mike~(-:
sanbartoloian
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby sanbartoloian » Wed Sep 28, 2011 5:55 pm

bmike1 wrote:they have an incredible website! I forgot to mention that the guy who went to IHOP thought it was very good.

I was driving from Key West to Miami and I happened to say, that I wish I could find an IHop and I swear the next turn there it ways. I have never seens such a flaiming gay staff in my life and the were all fighting and crying. The food was great and I refused to take sides, but I decided next time to be a little more definitive in my wishes.
el conquistador

Postby el conquistador » Wed Sep 28, 2011 8:40 pm

When I eat breakfast (rarely), I go to the refrigerios at the markets. Fresh juices (often a free refill), fresh bread, eggs ham, salad and always a friendly service and all for 2.50 soles.
jcn7vc
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby jcn7vc » Thu Sep 29, 2011 9:00 pm

California Cafe.

Oh sorry, did you mean in Lima? 8)
-Joe

"A man's character may be learned from the adjectives which he habitually uses in conversation." -Mark Twain

http://www.flickr.com/jcn7vc
falconagain
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby falconagain » Thu Sep 29, 2011 9:56 pm

Kios in Universitaria Avenue, 2 blocks away from La Marina Avenue.

One pork sandwich and you will be happy for breakfast.
BYoung

Postby BYoung » Fri Sep 30, 2011 11:09 pm

You allh ave said some great places I'm sure, however does anyone know where I can find a breakfast menu like IHOP?? Or is pancakes and waffles not in fashion here?

Thanks in advance,
B
edgeclinger
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby edgeclinger » Sun Nov 13, 2011 11:26 pm

calygirl wrote:Here's another place...didn't make it here last year, but hopefully I get there next year. They are supposed to have fantastic eggs benedict, one of my favorite breakfast items . If anyone has gone here, or goes in the future, give us a review.
http://www.lafoliecafe.com/

Finally got there today. Loved it. Sat out back on the patio, nice soft jazz playing, pleasant service. Charming decor. Fabulous food. There were three of us We shared 4 piqueo plates (mushroom, shrimp, queso, tuna) and one of us also had eggs benedict. Additionally we consumed 1 bloody Mary, a juice and 3 glasses of wine. We were full and content after all that and thus had to forgo the pasta dishes that we had thought about ordering! Total bill was S/ 190. Definitely a splurge day, but we enjoyed it immensely and plan to go back.
Lauris
Loving Living in Lima

Return to “Expat Information”

Login  •  Register