xr 650 l vs. xr 400 falcon

Answers to your qestions about moving to, and living in, Peru,
sanbartoloian
Gold Member
Gold Member

xr 650 l vs. xr 400 falcon

Postby sanbartoloian » Tue Sep 27, 2011 5:26 pm

It kills me that I will be paying almost 3000 dollars more for a xr 650 l honda dual purpose motorcycle in Nov. I have been offered a 400cc Honda Falcon but I can' t find anyone who knows about the Falcon. I have seen some U-Tube stuff but have not heard or talked to anyone who has one. Does anyone have an experience? I have a feeling I'll be getting the 650.

el conquistador

Re: xr 650 l vs. xr 400 falcon

Postby el conquistador » Wed Sep 28, 2011 7:56 pm

Woww, I didn't know they sell bikes with such big engines in Peru.

The biggest I've seen is a Honda Tornado with a 250cc.

My bike is a Honda XR125. Bought it new for 6400 soles.
Gary
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby Gary » Thu Sep 29, 2011 12:28 pm

I have an amigo that owns a NX 400 Falcon, he says it is a great moto, very comfortable, he's riding a Versys now, the 400 is for sale. I know another rider who recently bought a three year old, low mile 650 KLR for $5000, new 2011 KLR's sell for $7995, for Peru that's an OK deal.

el conquistador

Postby el conquistador » Thu Sep 29, 2011 4:34 pm

Gary, where's that picture taken. Looks nice.
sanbartoloian
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby sanbartoloian » Tue Oct 11, 2011 8:36 pm

I broke down and I am buying the 650. I pick it up Nov 15. They are telling me it takes 15 days to register it. Is that true?
el conquistador

Postby el conquistador » Wed Oct 12, 2011 5:56 pm

sanbartoloian wrote:I broke down and I am buying the 650. I pick it up Nov 15. They are telling me it takes 15 days to register it. Is that true?

If your dealer does it for you, then it can take 15 days. But if you go yourself to el notaria and then to el registro publico, then it may go quicker if they are not busy. I go my tarjeta in 10 days. The placa can take 1 month to get but it's not a problem to drive around without placa if your bike is new. Just take your boleta or factura with you to prove that the bike is new and you are waiting for your placa.

But SOAT is necessary and you must have your tarjeta in order to buy your SOAT.

SOAT COSTS 100 SOLES A YEAR FOR A SOAT REGIONAL OR 130 SOLES FOR A SOAT NATIONAL AND THEN YOU CAN DRIVE IN THE WHOLE COUNTRY. (PRICES OF SOAT DEPENDS OF THE PROVINCE. ABOVE ARE PRICES FOR SAN MARTIN) SOAT IN LIMA, I HEARD IS VERY EXPENSIVE
Gary
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby Gary » Wed Oct 12, 2011 8:46 pm

el conquistador, that photo was taken near Cusco.
My dealer in Lima took care of the paperwork for my moto, it took ten days for both the tarjeta & placa . I should mention that if you don't have a CE the process takes a lot longer, you are required to get a permiso especial para firmar contractos, I'm only aware of only one rider who has done that, the paperwork took 55 days
SOAT is expensive in Lima, Mapfre charges 800 soles for the first year, 700 soles for renewal.
el conquistador

Postby el conquistador » Thu Oct 13, 2011 5:56 pm

Gary wrote:el conquistador, that photo was taken near Cusco.
I should mention that if you don't have a CE the process takes a lot longer, you are required to get a permiso especial para firmar contractos, I'm only aware of only one rider who has done that, the paperwork took 55 days
SOAT is expensive in Lima, Mapfre charges 800 soles for the first year, 700 soles for renewal.

I don't have a CE or permisso para firmar contratos and got all paperwork in 10 days. My driving licence, I got in 3 days.

In Lima of course, it's more hassle. They are dishonest and ask for CE's or permisso para firmar contratos.

Woww, the scenery on the picture is nice. Unfortunately, too far away from San Martin otherwise if might go for a ride up there.
sanbartoloian
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby sanbartoloian » Tue Oct 25, 2011 1:42 pm

el conquistador wrote:
sanbartoloian wrote:I broke down and I am buying the 650. I pick it up Nov 15. They are telling me it takes 15 days to register it. Is that true?

If your dealer does it for you, then it can take 15 days. But if you go yourself to el notaria and then to el registro publico, then it may go quicker if they are not busy. I go my tarjeta in 10 days. The placa can take 1 month to get but it's not a problem to drive around without placa if your bike is new. Just take your boleta or factura with you to prove that the bike is new and you are waiting for your placa.

But SOAT is necessary and you must have your tarjeta in order to buy your SOAT.

SOAT COSTS 100 SOLES A YEAR FOR A SOAT REGIONAL OR 130 SOLES FOR A SOAT NATIONAL AND THEN YOU CAN DRIVE IN THE WHOLE COUNTRY. (PRICES OF SOAT DEPENDS OF THE PROVINCE. ABOVE ARE PRICES FOR SAN MARTIN) SOAT IN LIMA, I HEARD IS VERY EXPENSIVE

I am sorry about my delay in thanking you for the information. Thanks
Francois

Postby Francois » Tue Oct 25, 2011 10:24 pm

Hi Ian, the XR650 is definitely a great choice. Well depending on what you expect to do with it... but at least you'll be able to ride the dirt roads as well as the panamericana, cruising quietly at 130km/h.
I'm looking for a bike too, where do you live and ride?
Warm regards

Francois from Arequipa

Return to “Expat Information”

Login  •  Register