Recommended vaccines for South America?

Answers to your qestions about moving to, and living in, Peru,
Tanner

Recommended vaccines for South America?

Postby Tanner » Wed Sep 28, 2011 10:17 am

Hi,

I will be traveling to Peru in a few months and I did some research a while back about vaccines. I wrote down that i should get vaccinated for Yellow Fever, Typhoid, and Malaria. I am also going to be traveling to other countries in South America. I talked to a clinic here in America that specialized is giving vaccines to people traveling abroad and they said some of the vaccines can cost as much as $250. I dont know if i will need one this expensive but im sure it will not be cheap.

What do you reccomend? What vaccines do i need and where should i get the vaccinations from. The US or Peru?

Thanks for you help,
Tanner

trevor33
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: Recommended vaccines for South America?

Postby trevor33 » Thu Sep 29, 2011 7:17 am

Tanner wrote:Hi,

I will be traveling to Peru in a few months and I did some research a while back about vaccines. I wrote down that i should get vaccinated for Yellow Fever, Typhoid, and Malaria. I am also going to be traveling to other countries in South America. I talked to a clinic here in America that specialized is giving vaccines to people traveling abroad and they said some of the vaccines can cost as much as $250. I dont know if i will need one this expensive but im sure it will not be cheap.

What do you reccomend? What vaccines do i need and where should i get the vaccinations from. The US or Peru?

Thanks for you help,
Tanner

It all depends on where you're going, if you know in advance you'll be able to look at the malaria map and decide for yourself if you feel you're going to need to carry some tablets. I've been in 7 different countries in S. America and not once taken an anti-malaria tablet.

As for yellow fever, if you're planning on going into Brazil and then to another country you're going to need the certificate just to get into the country, you could just get it in that country for a lot cheaper than at home and it's probably safe enough, i got it before leaving though and it did save a lot of hassle... if an expensive save.

I would get the hepatitis A and typhoid jags for sure... hep B also if you think you might be sleeping around a bit.

Without knowing where you're planning on going and what you plan to do it's hard to say what you you'll need.
el conquistador

Postby el conquistador » Fri Sep 30, 2011 1:38 pm

trevor33 wrote:
As for yellow fever, if you're planning on going into Brazil and then to another country you're going to need the certificate just to get into the country

I've been to Brasil and they never asked for that certificate.
Officially, you need that certificate for Colombia too but they never ask for it.
trevor33
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby trevor33 » Sat Oct 01, 2011 6:10 am

el conquistador wrote:
trevor33 wrote:
As for yellow fever, if you're planning on going into Brazil and then to another country you're going to need the certificate just to get into the country

I've been to Brasil and they never asked for that certificate.
Officially, you need that certificate for Colombia too but they never ask for it.

Entering they never asked for it but entering Bolivia from Brazil they did. And they weren't going to let us in without it.
Tanner

Postby Tanner » Wed Oct 12, 2011 9:23 am

I will travel to Peru, Brazil, Argentina, and probably Columbia. I feel that it would be much cheaper to get vaccines like Yellow Fever, Typhoid, Malaria, and Dengue ect. in South America versus the US. Has anybody gotten these types of vaccines in South America? If so, how was the process and expenses?

Thanks
Tanner

Postby Tanner » Wed Oct 12, 2011 9:24 am

I will travel to Peru, Brazil, Argentina, and probably Columbia. I feel that it would be much cheaper to get vaccines like Yellow Fever, Typhoid, Malaria, and Dengue ect. in South America versus the US. Has anybody gotten these types of vaccines in South America? If so, how was the process and expenses?

Thanks
sunflower
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby sunflower » Fri Oct 14, 2011 5:38 pm

Tanner wrote: vaccinated for ... Malaria. I

Quite often people are asking for a malaria vaccination. Not sure how you want to get vaccinated against malaria, because there is no vaccine. Depending on where you travel taking malaria prophylaxis might be wise, but no guarantee that you won't get malaria.

Vaccinations against tetanus and diphtheria should be standard, yellow fever, hepatitis and typhoid are recommend.
el conquistador

Postby el conquistador » Fri Oct 14, 2011 6:18 pm

sunflower wrote:
Tanner wrote: vaccinated for ... Malaria. I

Quite often people are asking for a malaria vaccination. Not sure how you want to get vaccinated against malaria, because there is no vaccine. Depending on where you travel taking malaria prophylaxis might be wise, but no guarantee that you won't get malaria.

I had to go for work to Africa in the past an the company gave us malaria tablets. Still I had some colleagues who got malaria.
The best way against malaria is avoid to get bitten. Wear long sleeve shirts and long pants after dark and if you go in forests or around lakes and lagunas and darker areas. Use those spray repellents on your skin and at night sleep under a mosquito net.
In case you feel fever get medical help immediatelly. Even in the weeks after you get back home.
jude
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby jude » Fri Oct 14, 2011 6:48 pm

I'd get the typhoid jab. You're really unlikely to come across yellow fever unless you spend massive amounts of time in deep jungle, so I wouldn't bother with that. Same with malaria tablets, I'd just take precautions to avoid getting bitten and load up on the deet.
Tanner

Postby Tanner » Mon Oct 17, 2011 11:22 am

Ok so ill get the typhoid and yellow fever vaccines. I already have Hep vaccine. I think i will get the vaccines in Lima instead of the US since they will be quite a bit cheaper there. Now has anybody received these two vaccines in Lima Peru before? If yes, what was the process and expenses?

Thanks,
Tanner
gerard
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby gerard » Tue Oct 18, 2011 7:09 pm

I got the yellow fever jab/certifcate earlier this year at Clinica Limatambo on the corner of Panama and Aramburu - S/.86.51 and it took about 15 minutes, no appointment required.
Tanner

Postby Tanner » Mon Oct 31, 2011 10:12 am

thanks for the info Gerard. Ill just get vaccinated in Lima before travelling else where
bmike1
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby bmike1 » Mon Oct 31, 2011 6:03 pm

Don't do any of the vac cines in the US. It is much cheaper in Peru. When you arrive in the airport go to their medical facility and get the shots.
:-)~mike~(-:
abbym

Postby abbym » Fri Jan 27, 2012 2:25 am

While traveling to South America or anywhere you must know that vaccines contain Mercury based Thiamycin which can be devastating for your brain. So its better not to take them.
carole

Postby carole » Tue Mar 27, 2012 6:02 am

abbym wrote:While traveling to South America or anywhere you must know that vaccines contain Mercury based Thiamycin which can be devastating for your brain. So its better not to take them.

this is a shocking revelation as i am coming to lima, cusco and titicaca from london in june for 3 months and was looking into the vaccines i may need. can you give me any websites were i may find more details on your staement

Return to “Expat Information”

Login  •  Register