Does the 'gringo' price really exist?

Answers to your qestions about moving to, and living in, Peru,
el conquistador

Does the 'gringo' price really exist?

Postby el conquistador » Thu Oct 06, 2011 8:09 pm

When we are in Lima and take a taxi, my gf and I like to do competition...getting the cheapest taxi.
She negotiates with taxi drivers and I do the same a 25 meters away. After we negotiated the price, we yell at each other the rate we got and jump in the cheapest one. I always got the cheapest fare till now.

When we lived in Lima and were looking for a flat to rent.
I always obtained the cheapest rent.

2.5 years ago, we rented a flat in San Miguel. It was advertised for 800 soles in Elcomercio. My gf went to see it and the owner stuck to 800 soles a month. Later that evening we went to see it together and when the owner started talking to me, the prices dropped. I negotiated 600 a month + including water and electricity.

I think when it comes to renting, as a foreigner you can get a cheaper rent because owners prefer to rent to foreigners as they are more punctual to pay the rent and also owners think that foreigners have always enough money to pay the rent.

bmike1
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: Does the 'gringo' price really exist?

Postby bmike1 » Thu Oct 06, 2011 8:33 pm

gringo rates exist at barber shops. I went to one and was charged 5 soles. The next time I went was charged 12 soles.
:-)~mike~(-:
fanning
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby fanning » Thu Oct 06, 2011 9:13 pm

Gringo prices don't apply to me anymore. I even get remarks of my Peruvian family members that it is not fair to the taxidrivers, the price I am paying.. But well, if they accept it, I suppose it is a fair price no ?
I think the gringo price is more appropriate if you go to typical tourist traps, like the Inca markets, or taxis outside Larcomar. But in the daily life I don't feel I get charged anything more ( even less) than other Peruvians. ( I happen to be Peruvian since January, so I am not really anymore gringo ;) )
el conquistador

Postby el conquistador » Thu Oct 06, 2011 9:25 pm

fanning wrote:I think the gringo price is more appropriate if you go to typical tourist traps, like the Inca markets, or taxis outside Larcomar.

I think that everyone is charged a lot at those places. Peruvians who visit Inca Markets are generally tourists from other parts in Peru and are seen as 'having plata'.

In August, I came down to Lima and bought a nice very large tablecloth. The price started at 50 soles and I paid 25 at the end. My gf her mother has the same one and she could only get the price down to 30.

Taxis outside Larcomar, charge everyone an extortionate fare. If a Peruvian comes out of Larcomar or the Marriot, taxi drivers will suggest that he also has 'arta plata'.
rubble
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby rubble » Fri Oct 07, 2011 12:06 am

I was in a deli/bodega with my children when we saw some cans of Inca Kola. I was about to be charged four pounds ($6?) for two cans when the wife entered. When the owner found out we were together he 'only' charged me three pounds. Where was this? A Colombian owned shop in west London.
sbaustin
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby sbaustin » Wed Oct 12, 2011 4:25 pm

fanning wrote:Gringo prices don't apply to me anymore. I even get remarks of my Peruvian family members that it is not fair to the taxidrivers, the price I am paying.. But well, if they accept it, I suppose it is a fair price no ?

That is the funniest thing I've read in a long time.. Your Peruvian family actually said it isn't fair the negotiated rate the taxi driver accepts to take you places?

I think it just depends on how opportunistic the person selling you the service is.. I've had taxi drivers try to charge me "20........dollars" to go from Miraflores to Plaza San Miguel and others charge me S/8. Obviously a taxi driver would never say 20 dollars to a peruvian (I am fair skinned).
mnguy

Postby mnguy » Wed Oct 12, 2011 4:54 pm

there is a difference between being a savvy consumer and being a cheap-ass *****
:D :D
rama0929
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby rama0929 » Wed Oct 12, 2011 5:02 pm

I've been charged the gringo rates by taxistas as well. Sometimes, I'll tell them to take a hike, other times I'll pay; can't be bothered.
el conquistador

Postby el conquistador » Wed Oct 12, 2011 5:26 pm

sbaustin wrote:. I've had taxi drivers try to charge me "20........dollars" to go from Miraflores to Plaza San Miguel and others charge me S/8.

I'll advise you to take the bus. It costs only 1 sol.
sbaustin
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby sbaustin » Wed Oct 12, 2011 5:51 pm

el conquistador wrote:I'll advise you to take the bus. It costs only 1 sol.

Conquistador, I'd advise you to walk for free. :)
el conquistador

Postby el conquistador » Wed Oct 12, 2011 6:19 pm

sbaustin wrote:
el conquistador wrote:I'll advise you to take the bus. It costs only 1 sol.

Conquistador, I'd advise you to walk for free. :)

When I lived in San Miguel, I often walked all the way to Miraflores. Following the coastline. It's a nice walk and beautifull seaviews. It's recommended if you have a dog. Dogs love this trail.
bmike1
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby bmike1 » Thu Oct 13, 2011 8:13 pm

buses are 1.50 but they often accept 1.00. When I first went on a bus I gave the driver a sol and he said something so I gave him more money. He said something else and I gave him more. Then thee was another time same thing happened but that time I babled at him in English and he just gave up on getting more money from me.
falconagain
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby falconagain » Thu Oct 13, 2011 9:51 pm

The gringo price existed before because there was not so many prices
advertised. Today there is a lot of competition so this sometimes lowers prices.

Also between 2000 and 2010 lots of people from the provinces starting renting
in Lima. Many of them have entitlement issues thinking that the whole of the
Lima population is responsible for the poverty in their lives, as a result they
trashed and overused the utilities in many properties. This gave birth
to the phrase "Mejor le alquilo a un gringo que a un cholo, pierdo menos
plata" ( I better rent to a white person than to an indian, I will lose less
money).
renodante
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby renodante » Thu Oct 13, 2011 9:54 pm

it definitely exists. for any negotiable price, for anything. i experience it every day.
renodante
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby renodante » Thu Oct 13, 2011 9:56 pm

rama0929 wrote:I've been charged the gringo rates by taxistas as well. Sometimes, I'll tell them to take a hike, other times I'll pay; can't be bothered.

yeah if i'm in a rush sometimes i'm just like "to hell with it, what is it, 30 cents more?" if i were still living in new york the same taxi ride would be something like literally 5 times what i'm paying so whatevs.
douglas8
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby douglas8 » Fri Oct 14, 2011 12:32 am

hmmmm el conquistador huh?... i'd say ol euroman is back and in fine form
itsallgood
Silver Member
Silver Member

Postby itsallgood » Fri Oct 14, 2011 11:24 am

douglas8 wrote:hmmmm el conquistador huh?... i'd say ol euroman is back and in fine form

Not that it matters much, I've been thinking the same thing for a while.

and now this shows up:
"I live like a millionaire and feel like a billionaire."

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=14597&p=88000#p88000
jude
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby jude » Fri Oct 14, 2011 6:35 pm

Yeah, it's been obvious for a while that it's Euroman. I'm glad, he's funny.
roddd
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby roddd » Sat Oct 15, 2011 3:04 am

itsallgood wrote:
douglas8 wrote:hmmmm el conquistador huh?... i'd say ol euroman is back and in fine form

and now this shows up:

welcome back euroman you make i laugh :D
emh
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby emh » Sat Oct 15, 2011 7:25 am

renodante wrote:
rama0929 wrote:I've been charged the gringo rates by taxistas as well. Sometimes, I'll tell them to take a hike, other times I'll pay; can't be bothered.

yeah if i'm in a rush sometimes i'm just like "to hell with it, what is it, 30 cents more?" if i were still living in new york the same taxi ride would be something like literally 5 times what i'm paying so whatevs.

I think that's a good point. I remember watching a gringa in Thailand haggle over the price of a souvenir. She walked away cause the vendor wouldn't come down an additional 5 cents.
lazybones
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby lazybones » Sat Oct 15, 2011 9:44 am

In some cases it does, because people new to a country dont know the price system, The only time I got stung in Lima was on my first arival at the airport. Now I can get a better price with taxis than peruvians can. I have proved this time and time again. People no matter who they are will try and get the best price, Stall holders, you and me. It depends on what kind of a person you are and whether your able or know how to neggociate.
americorps
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby americorps » Sat Oct 15, 2011 12:14 pm

Just a couple days ago I got on a combi and 2 other girls got on at the same stop. We all three were going to the same place, coincidentally. The combista asked them for 50 centimos and me for 1.20 soles. I gave him 50 centimos and he pointed to the sign that says 1.20 Soles. I asked him why the Peruvians paid 50 centimos and I was asked to pay more for the same ride, he just laughed and walked away.

For the record, I got on the bus at Angamos about just off the via expressa in Miraflores and was going to Angamos and Marsano, Open Plaza, about 6 cuadras.
rama0929
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby rama0929 » Sat Oct 15, 2011 2:04 pm

itsallgood wrote:

and now this shows up:

There are or were quite a few references made to Belgium that were also a dead giveaway.

No matter how hard one tries, they always revert back to their style; it's what they know :lol:
el conquistador

Postby el conquistador » Sat Oct 15, 2011 4:04 pm

americorps wrote:Just a couple days ago I got on a combi and 2 other girls got on at the same stop. We all three were going to the same place, coincidentally. The combista asked them for 50 centimos and me for 1.20 soles. I gave him 50 centimos and he pointed to the sign that says 1.20 Soles. I asked him why the Peruvians paid 50 centimos and I was asked to pay more for the same ride, he just laughed and walked away.

The girls could have been escolares and they are charged less.
fanning
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby fanning » Sat Oct 15, 2011 6:28 pm

americorps wrote:Just a couple days ago I got on a combi and 2 other girls got on at the same stop. We all three were going to the same place, coincidentally. The combista asked them for 50 centimos and me for 1.20 soles. I gave him 50 centimos and he pointed to the sign that says 1.20 Soles. I asked him why the Peruvians paid 50 centimos and I was asked to pay more for the same ride, he just laughed and walked away.

For the record, I got on the bus at Angamos about just off the via expressa in Miraflores and was going to Angamos and Marsano, Open Plaza, about 6 cuadras.

This is called paying a 'chino' ( a 50 cent coin, supposedly because chinos have half the size eyes .. ), you are supposed to tell the cobrador the moment you enter the bus, and if it is busy you don't use a seat, but stand. And it is only for short rides. But tradition tells that you tell the cobrador when you enter, that you pay a chino.
rubble
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby rubble » Sat Oct 15, 2011 7:21 pm

My son's tutor told him how she and a friend were given different menus in a restuarant. A cappuchino in one menu was S/5 whilst in the other it was S/12. When they questioned the difference they were told that they'd been given an 'International' menu my mistake.
renodante
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby renodante » Sat Oct 15, 2011 8:37 pm

emh wrote:
renodante wrote:

I think that's a good point. I remember watching a gringa in Thailand haggle over the price of a souvenir. She walked away cause the vendor wouldn't come down an additional 5 cents.

considering what i make sitting in front of my computer, and considering what he makes busting his a*% stressed out driving around the crazy streets of lima, i often accept a little tax. but when they go way over the normal price i laugh at them and wave them to move along.
renodante
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby renodante » Sat Oct 15, 2011 8:39 pm

rubble wrote:My son's tutor told him how she and a friend were given different menus in a restuarant. A cappuchino in one menu was S/5 whilst in the other it was S/12. When they questioned the difference they were told that they'd been given an 'International' menu my mistake.

i'd walk out.
americorps
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby americorps » Sun Oct 16, 2011 1:48 am

el conquistador wrote:

The girls could have been escolares and they are charged less.

Your presumption is false.
americorps
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby americorps » Sun Oct 16, 2011 1:50 am

fanning wrote:

This is called paying a 'chino' ( a 50 cent coin, supposedly because chinos have half the size eyes .. ), you are supposed to tell the cobrador the moment you enter the bus, and if it is busy you don't use a seat, but stand. And it is only for short rides. But tradition tells that you tell the cobrador when you enter, that you pay a chino.

After 5 years of combi riding, that is a lesson you learn very quickly. You are right. The driver asked me where I was going just as he did the girls, I answered and he said one Sole before I did anything else.

I assure you, it was the gringo price, not an amature mistake nor were they students as we got on together, they showed no IDs and were, like me, in their 40's
curlyguy18
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby curlyguy18 » Sun Oct 16, 2011 12:07 pm

Yes, normally you ask the cobrador if it's okay to pay 50 cents before you get on the bus, but if it's just a 6-block ride and other people are just paying 50 cetns to travel the same distance, then there's no logical explanation as to why Americorps was being charged the full fare. He was being charged the gringo price, that's it.
mistuhp

Postby mistuhp » Sun Oct 16, 2011 4:29 pm

renodante wrote:
emh wrote:
renodante wrote:

considering what i make sitting in front of my computer, and considering what he makes busting his a*% stressed out driving around the crazy streets of lima, i often accept a little tax. but when they go way over the normal price i laugh at them and wave them to move along.

This is pretty much exactly what I do. If what I think is acceptable is 6 soles and he starts at 8, I might talk him to 7, but really, it's 75 cents, and it's more worth it to just get going. If dude starts at 10 or 12, I'll haggle for as much as 15 seconds, depending on how fast he comes down (usually if I give them a funny look and give the "real" price, they know I'm not some tourist, and their price adjusts very quickly), but if he starts off with something insane like 15, I pretty much tell him to get the hell away from me.

One thing I have noticed, though, is that when I start off speaking really confidently, using non-tourist landmarks, the price is almost always way lower. If I really want to save a couple soles, I just give a slightly simpler place (por ejemplo, vivo cerca del faro, pero es facil caminar a mi departamento de Parque Kennedy) for them to access, and it works pretty well.
teamoperu
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby teamoperu » Mon Oct 17, 2011 8:30 am

Dealing with taxis is a fascinating example of game theory at work. Bottom line is do as most Peruvians do; when the chofer quotes you the wrong price, do not negotiate, walk to the taxi waiting behind.
emh
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby emh » Mon Oct 17, 2011 9:40 am

americorps wrote:
fanning wrote:

After 5 years of combi riding, that is a lesson you learn very quickly. You are right. The driver asked me where I was going just as he did the girls, I answered and he said one Sole before I did anything else.

I assure you, it was the gringo price, not an amature mistake nor were they students as we got on together, they showed no IDs and were, like me, in their 40's

I have a regular route that I ride that's about 20 blocks. The first time I rode it, I gave the driver one sole, assuming that was the price. I was shocked when he gave me 50 centimos in change. Every time since, I've only paid 50 centimos for that route (with one exception). Sometimes I have the exact change myself, other times, the drivers have given me the change for my one sole. So far I haven't done anything special...I don't do any of the stuff that Fanning says you're supposed to do...I don't tell the driver immediately where I'm going, I don't stand, etc.
curlyguy18
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby curlyguy18 » Mon Oct 17, 2011 1:16 pm

emh wrote:I have a regular route that I ride that's about 20 blocks. The first time I rode it, I gave the driver one sole, assuming that was the price. I was shocked when he gave me 50 centimos in change. Every time since, I've only paid 50 centimos for that route (with one exception). Sometimes I have the exact change myself, other times, the drivers have given me the change for my one sole. So far I haven't done anything special...I don't do any of the stuff that Fanning says you're supposed to do...I don't tell the driver immediately where I'm going, I don't stand, etc.

May I ask what the route is? 20 blocks for 50 cents is a good deal. Like you, I'd expect to pay 1 sol. The thing about these combis is that they charge according to how far you're travelling but they don't really have fixed fares. From Av. venezuela to Plaza San Miguel they charge 50 cents but then it's 1 sole on the way back.
emh
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby emh » Mon Oct 17, 2011 1:32 pm

curlyguy18 wrote:
emh wrote:I have a regular route that I ride that's about 20 blocks. The first time I rode it, I gave the driver one sole, assuming that was the price. I was shocked when he gave me 50 centimos in change. Every time since, I've only paid 50 centimos for that route (with one exception). Sometimes I have the exact change myself, other times, the drivers have given me the change for my one sole. So far I haven't done anything special...I don't do any of the stuff that Fanning says you're supposed to do...I don't tell the driver immediately where I'm going, I don't stand, etc.

May I ask what the route is? 20 blocks for 50 cents is a good deal. Like you, I'd expect to pay 1 sol. The thing about these combis is that they charge according to how far you're travelling but they don't really have fixed fares. From Av. venezuela to Plaza San Miguel they charge 50 cents but then it's 1 sole on the way back.

Okay, I just counted and it's actually 13-16 blocks depending on where I get off/on. Basically I start at the intersection of Arequipa and Canevaro and go down Canevaro to Parque de Los Bomberos or Salaverry (or I go the other direction).
teamoperu
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby teamoperu » Tue Oct 18, 2011 5:30 pm

Here is the game theory. Say the fare should be 6. Taxi driver offers you 6, you accept 6, it is win-win. He gets the fare and you get the correct price.

But he could say gringo 8. If you negociate with 6 and he to 7 then win-lose. He gets the increased fare and you get the incorrect price. Even if he goes down to 6, then it reverts to win-win, but he had the opportunity to maybe get more. He still wins whether he starts at 6 or 8, if you negotiate. Only does he lose if you walk away when he says 8. It becomes lose-lose, he lost the fare and you never got the correct price... but that taxi behind saw you walk away so he knows that there is a risk.

Only by doing as the Peruvians do, that is, walk away, does it make it dangerous for the driver to offer a too high fare, he needs to know there is more than win options, there is also lose... without the lose, he always wins. And by negotiating, it only encourages exactly the headache we want to avoid. So shake your head, smile, and walk to the taxi waiting behind.
el conquistador

Postby el conquistador » Tue Oct 18, 2011 9:26 pm

teamoperu wrote:Here is the game theory. Say the fare should be 6. Taxi driver offers you 6, you accept 6, it is win-win. He gets the fare and you get the correct price.

But he could say gringo 8. If you negociate with 6 and he to 7 then win-lose. He gets the increased fare and you get the incorrect price. Even if he goes down to 6, then it reverts to win-win, but he had the opportunity to maybe get more. He still wins whether he starts at 6 or 8, if you negotiate. Only does he lose if you walk away when he says 8. It becomes lose-lose, he lost the fare and you never got the correct price... but that taxi behind saw you walk away so he knows that there is a risk.

Only by doing as the Peruvians do, that is, walk away, does it make it dangerous for the driver to offer a too high fare, he needs to know there is more than win options, there is also lose... without the lose, he always wins. And by negotiating, it only encourages exactly the headache we want to avoid. So shake your head, smile, and walk to the taxi waiting behind.

Good answer. That's how it works.
I bought today rat poison. The shop owner told me 5 soles. I didn't go to any other shops to ask the price but I just said that the other shop charges 3 soles. He said OK, I charge you also 3 soles.
emh
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby emh » Fri Oct 21, 2011 11:43 am

One other thing re: combis: I've seen locals refuse to pay the amount requested. The driver and the customer will argue for a while and eventually the driver gives up and moves on to the next person. Obviously that strategy only works if you have exact change for what you think the price should be.
renodante
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby renodante » Fri Oct 21, 2011 12:10 pm

So shake your head, smile, and walk to the taxi waiting behind.

i usually do this but only when the jack it up 3 soles or more, should probably do it more often but i'm lazy.
el conquistador

Postby el conquistador » Fri Oct 21, 2011 6:29 pm

emh wrote:One other thing re: combis: I've seen locals refuse to pay the amount requested. The driver and the customer will argue for a while and eventually the driver gives up and moves on to the next person. Obviously that strategy only works if you have exact change for what you think the price should be.

Vendadores de caramelos and other streetsellers go on the bus sell their stuff and never pay for the journey.

Also beggars board the bus, tell a sad story and often collect a lot of money, don't pay for the journey either.
bmike1
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby bmike1 » Fri Oct 21, 2011 7:45 pm

yeah.... I saw that many times.
:-)~mike~(-:
teamoperu
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby teamoperu » Fri Oct 21, 2011 9:45 pm

seen it 2 many times jeje
what I find surpprising is that the vendadores do not even tip the driver a caremelo :shock:
teamoperu
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby teamoperu » Sat Oct 22, 2011 8:54 pm

renodante wrote:
So shake your head, smile, and walk to the taxi waiting behind.

i usually do this but only when the jack it up 3 soles or more, should probably do it more often but i'm lazy.

I have seen Peruvians walk when the fare is 2.5 and the driver says 3. But 0.5 means something to them.
Not to criticize, but 3 is $1. I take many taxis so that adds up quickly.
And by having us gringos, who hate to bicker over a couple of soles, accept 3 soles too high only just encourages the taxis to quote a higher than correct price, exacerbating the problem for us.
renodante
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby renodante » Sat Oct 22, 2011 9:53 pm

And by having us gringos, who hate to bicker over a couple of soles, accept 3 soles too high only just encourages the taxis to quote a higher than correct price, exacerbating the problem for us.

this is true.
jcn7vc
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby jcn7vc » Mon Oct 24, 2011 3:54 pm

It's not just in Lima. A ride from Huaraz to my house is 6 during the day, 7 at night, and 8 if it's really late. This is all because he is taking a chance there won't be anyone for a ride back from my neighborhood, and the probability is highest in the day there will be someone, thus the cheapest price.

However, I can't understand why in the world they would quote someone 6 to go to Huaraz from my neighborhood, when there is a chance that person says no and they are left without a fare to town. (10-15 min drive with no passenger is expensive for a taxionista) So if they tell me that I shake my head and just step back from the corner. They almost always give it to me for 5 or 4 during the day, and 5 at night. I could negotiate less, but it is less than $2 for me.

And collectivos are a win-win for both of us at 1.20.
-Joe

"A man's character may be learned from the adjectives which he habitually uses in conversation." -Mark Twain

http://www.flickr.com/jcn7vc
teamoperu
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby teamoperu » Tue Oct 25, 2011 8:51 am

And a taxi driver friend of mine in Piura charges more if it is raining. He tells customers it is because he has to get an lube job afterward operating in the rain. He doesn't, just a scam. But then it doesn't rain much in Piura jeje
falconagain
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby falconagain » Tue Oct 25, 2011 11:31 am

teamoperu wrote:And a taxi driver friend of mine in Piura charges more if it is raining. He tells customers it is because he has to get an lube job afterward operating in the rain. He doesn't, just a scam. But then it doesn't rain much in Piura jeje

I have lived in Piura, and it is true cars get damaged a lot because of the rain. So maybe he is saving
for another car, because if he doesnt do the lube job he will lose the current car no matter what.
Lloyd007
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby Lloyd007 » Tue Oct 25, 2011 12:04 pm

I was buying a large-ish bouquet of flowers for the wife this last weekend and when I'd finished selecting the flowers I wanted, the lady tried to charge me 40 soles for it. I said no way, I'll give you 30 max, take it or leave it. She took it and didn't bother to argue back. But what a cheek to hike it up so much! I should have said 20!

Always negociate!
curlyguy18
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby curlyguy18 » Sun Oct 30, 2011 6:25 pm

teamoperu wrote:I have seen Peruvians walk when the fare is 2.5 and the driver says 3. But 0.5 means something to them.
Not to criticize, but 3 is $1. I take many taxis so that adds up quickly.

Yes, to people that don't make much money and are raising a family 0.50 does mean something. Overcharging someone because they look/sound foreign or because you think they have money or don't know any better is, to me, a form of racism.

Return to “Expat Information”

Login  •  Register