On line spanish course.

Answers to your qestions about moving to, and living in, Peru,
bmike1
Gold Member
Gold Member

On line spanish course.

Postby bmike1 » Sat Oct 08, 2011 3:46 pm

I need to learn spanish but don't have big bucks. I'm looking for online spanish courses that are like free. Can someone direct me to one. I like spanishdict.com but they changed the web site and it really drags my system down now.

:-)~mike~(-:
falconagain
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: On line spanish course.

Postby falconagain » Sat Oct 08, 2011 6:00 pm

This link has a detailed and complete Spanish course,
the downside is that the course is very strict, the
upside is that if you are able to finish it you might
end up speaking better Spanish than people who are
native. They use the same method in expensive Ivy
League universities but they charge you a lot for it.

http://www.loquella.com/learn-spanish/

Another site to learn Spanish is the BBC site.
itsallgood
Silver Member
Silver Member

Postby itsallgood » Sat Oct 08, 2011 8:00 pm

http://www.spanishdict.com is free. Self paced video based. Progress is tracked and you can see your performance over time. Lots of additional resources. I think is also very good and worth a look.
el conquistador

Postby el conquistador » Sun Oct 09, 2011 5:34 pm

The easiest, quickest and cheapest way to learn Spanish (or any other language) is by conversing with people who speak the language.
renodante
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby renodante » Mon Oct 10, 2011 1:39 am

The easiest, quickest and cheapest way to learn Spanish (or any other language) is by conversing with people who speak the language.

but my experience with this is if you know next to nothing, it's not quick at all. if you study while doing that, yeah, it's the super charged way to learn.

i had an ex girlfriend here who spoke no english, when i could barely speak spanish. improved a little, but was still locked at the same level because i knew hardly any verbs and had a small vocab, and the verbs i knew were mostly all in present tense. it's possible to become a master of crappy tarzan spanish where people know what you're saying but you sound like the village idiot.
emh
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby emh » Mon Oct 10, 2011 4:23 pm

renodante wrote:

but my experience with this is if you know next to nothing, it's not quick at all. if you study while doing that, yeah, it's the super charged way to learn.

i had an ex girlfriend here who spoke no english, when i could barely speak spanish. improved a little, but was still locked at the same level because i knew hardly any verbs and had a small vocab, and the verbs i knew were mostly all in present tense. it's possible to become a master of crappy tarzan spanish where people know what you're saying but you sound like the village idiot.

I agree. I know people who swear that you can learn another language by simply talking to other people. Personally I've never found that effective. How the heck am I supposed to learn when I have no idea what someone's saying to me? Even at my current level of spanish (intermediate), I don't find it useful. I need something more structured.
emh
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby emh » Mon Oct 10, 2011 4:27 pm

To the OP, if you know where to look, you can find online copies of Pimsleur for free. As far as I know, there's nothing illegal about it. The same is true of Rosetta Stone though the free versions of Rosetta Stone require some level of computer sophistication that extends beyond what I have. I've also read that you can buy pirated versions of Rosetta Stone in Lima for next to nothing. Not sure where though.
douglas8
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby douglas8 » Mon Oct 10, 2011 6:51 pm

This is actually an interesting theme in my opinion as I am plugging away at learning Spanish and as this the first 2nd language for me it has been veeery difficult at times.

I do not believe there is any one good way to learn, it entirely depends on what works for you and what you like to do. I have never found a good teacher or classes that work for me so have toughed it out with self teaching...this is both good and bad.

I agree that just talking with people without some class guidance or structure is a dead end and leads to only frustration...unless you have a talent for languages in which case anything will work well for you.

For those of us who don't, I say baby steps and make it a daily thing but don't do too much or you will get sick of it. Also realize that the process of learning any language is 3 steps forward and 2 steps back and that is simply the way unless you are 5 years old.

For me I listen to CBC radio in Spanish because I am Canadian, so I hear about issues and places I already know but in Spanish(daily for about 20 minutes and your ear for spanish will improve I guarantee), I think too many people make the error of teaching you about a language and a culture at the same time and for me that leads to more confusion not more enlightenment.

Anyway mine are general notes as stated there is no hard and fast way to learn any language...have you seen all the different kinds of Learn English books here...docenas..oops I mean dozens of them and not one is perfect.

I suggest other leave any useful unorthodox tips they may have picked up along the way and the share with the rest of us.

cheers

d
renodante
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby renodante » Mon Oct 10, 2011 11:38 pm

been here 3 years and my spanish is is still horrible. i just don't enjoy the process.
Kelly

Postby Kelly » Tue Oct 11, 2011 12:02 am

I recommend watching your favorite movies in Spanish. Watch with the Spanish subtitles on, too. You want to watch a movie that you've seen a million times, like Raiders of the Lost Ark, or whatever your "seen it a million times" movie is - that way you already know pretty much what they're saying in English before they even say it.

Watch with remote control in hand - listen to a line of dialog, reading along, then pause and repeat the line out loud. Rewind and do it again. Flip between Spanish and English subs if you need so that you're sure what's being said. Repeat it over and over until you feel like you can repeat the line fairly fluently, then move on to the next line of dialog.

Get to where you can read along and recite the Spanish dialog with the actors. This will help get both your ears and mouth better acquainted with Spanish sounds and phrasing, which is one of the hardest things about learning to listen, because often words run into each other. Being able to read them as you hear them and say them helps you learn to distinguish the separate words.
emh
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby emh » Tue Oct 11, 2011 8:23 am

renodante wrote:been here 3 years and my spanish is is still horrible. i just don't enjoy the process.

That's my problem too. People say "you'll pick up the language so quickly by living there". Well, not if you don't put in the effort. I have no real love or interest in learning languages and have to force myself to study.
emh
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby emh » Tue Oct 11, 2011 8:27 am

Kelly wrote:I recommend watching your favorite movies in Spanish. Watch with the Spanish subtitles on, too. You want to watch a movie that you've seen a million times, like Raiders of the Lost Ark, or whatever your "seen it a million times" movie is - that way you already know pretty much what they're saying in English before they even say it.

Watch with remote control in hand - listen to a line of dialog, reading along, then pause and repeat the line out loud. Rewind and do it again. Flip between Spanish and English subs if you need so that you're sure what's being said. Repeat it over and over until you feel like you can repeat the line fairly fluently, then move on to the next line of dialog.

Get to where you can read along and recite the Spanish dialog with the actors. This will help get both your ears and mouth better acquainted with Spanish sounds and phrasing, which is one of the hardest things about learning to listen, because often words run into each other. Being able to read them as you hear them and say them helps you learn to distinguish the separate words.

Interesting idea. I tried this when I was living in Colombia. I bought a season's worth of DVD's of the tv show house with plans to do exactly what you said. Unfortunately I ran into a huge problem. The spanish dialogue didn't match the spanish subtitles. A little research indicated that this is quite common. The dubbing and the subtitles are often done by different companies. Plus speaking and reading rates are different and the subtitles have to be written so that they fit on the screen and that people can read them quickly.
roddd
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby roddd » Tue Oct 11, 2011 12:53 pm

emh wrote:
renodante wrote:been here 3 years and my spanish is is still horrible. i just don't enjoy the process.

That's my problem too. People say "you'll pick up the language so quickly by living there". Well, not if you don't put in the effort. I have no real love or interest in learning languages and have to force myself to study.

as soon as i get to Peru i understand Spanish but as soon as i get back to the UK my brain seems to have switched back to English and i have forgotten everything that was Spanish, i guess by being surround by everyone speaking Spanish my brain must have gone into survival mode :D
Alan
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby Alan » Tue Oct 11, 2011 1:36 pm

Hi,

Please excuse the blatant self-promotion, but we run an online Spanish course out of Lima that connects qualified and experienced Spanish teachers with students all over the world. The program has been running since 2005 and I can tell you that the system really works, if you stick with it.

www.webspanish.com

If there is anybody on this board who is interested, contact me via PM and I will waive the fee for your trial class. :)

By the way, we also produce lots of entertaining Spanish video lessons and publish them on our blog: spanish-lessons.webspanish.com They are geared primarily to those with an upper-basic, lower-intermediate level.
bmike1
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby bmike1 » Tue Oct 11, 2011 2:28 pm

I am very happy to have your input , Alan. Thank you for the self-promotion!
sbaustin
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby sbaustin » Tue Oct 11, 2011 4:14 pm

A couple interesting and different resources:
1. MIT has a whole slew of free online classes.. They can be difficult and are kind of geared towards self teaching but you may take a look. Here is Spanish 1: http://ocw.mit.edu/courses/foreign-lang ... /index.htm - look at the left for the syllabus, class materials, etc.

2. iTunes - Has free spanish language resources under iTunes U which is their university section. They have other subjects as well but there is a lot of Spanish material. http://www.apple.com/education/itunes-u/whats-on.html

**** the iTunes stuff is free for both mac and pc and only requires a computer. if you have an iphone, ipod touch, or ipad those can also be used to watch the lectures, etc. ***

In my opinion, you will never learn the language unless you practice it with someone on a daily basis.. That's part of the appeal of online classes but there are other ways that are less money as well. Otherwise, you will learn some basic vocabulary which is good but you won't really be able to do much else unless you take the time and effort to practice. Find a native or near native to practice with if even for 5 minutes.
renodante
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby renodante » Tue Oct 11, 2011 11:19 pm

emh wrote:

my problem is compounded by the fact i work insane amounts of hours from home, for a u.s company, and pretty much all my friends speak decent english and like to practice it. but lately i've been really fed up and started making a real renewed effort to learn again. it's humiliating to tell someone i've lived here for 3 years and when they try to talk to me in spanish too fast i tilt to my head to the side like a confused puppy.
roddd
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby roddd » Wed Oct 12, 2011 8:30 am

i have been using this site :)
http://www.livemocha.com/
bmike1
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby bmike1 » Wed Oct 12, 2011 1:37 pm

LiveMoca is good but I was wondering if anyone knows of a site that gives a word for word translation instead of a PROPER english sentence translation. Like for instance:
the Spanish sentence is:
¿Me puedes repetir eso?

and they say the English sentence is:
Can you repeat that

but in reality it is 'I ???? repeat this?'
so I guess puedes is 'can' but shouldn't 'me' be 'tu'?
calygirl
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby calygirl » Wed Oct 12, 2011 2:23 pm

in my many instances of learning Spanish from various places and teachers, I was always taught, for the most part, NOT to try and do word for word translations....it doesn't help and makes learning more confusing.
sbaustin
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby sbaustin » Wed Oct 12, 2011 2:55 pm

bmike1 wrote:LiveMoca is good but I was wondering if anyone knows of a site that gives a word for word translation instead of a PROPER english sentence translation. Like for instance:
the Spanish sentence is:
¿Me puedes repetir eso?

and they say the English sentence is:
Can you repeat that

but in reality it is 'I ???? repeat this?'
so I guess puedes is 'can' but shouldn't 'me' be 'tu'?

Calygirl makes a lot of sense in that you can't word for word translate one language to another. Things are expressed differently in different cultures and languages. For instance, you will learn in beginner spanish that the proper way to say "I like X" is to say "Me gusta X" which if you were to word for word translate it: "X is pleasing to me" which is not how we say it. Do some of the online free classes for a month to get some grammar basics and try to practice with a native.
douglas8
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby douglas8 » Wed Oct 12, 2011 6:49 pm

I agree totally translating word for word is NOT a good way to learn any language, saying in english that "I have 25 years" doesn't make too much sense and neither does saying estoy caliente in spanish when you want to say that you're hot. (well has a certain meaning but probably not the one you intend).

Best advice is learn things in chunks and just accept that is the way to express a given thought, eventually it does becomes clearer. The truth is all languages are weird and one simply has to accept that is the way, in Cambodia the language is called Khmer and they don't conjugate verbs, everything is in present tense, in Vietnam the same word with a slight different tonal sound can have up to seven totally different meanings, compared to that spanish is easy.
douglas8
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby douglas8 » Wed Oct 12, 2011 6:55 pm

sorry one other thing, me in spanish is like me in english NOT "I". It is the direct object pronoun not the subject pronoun.

I have found it helpful to bone up on the grammar of your native language to better understand how it works, it has helped me in learning spanish.
bmike1
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby bmike1 » Thu Oct 13, 2011 8:03 pm

what is th difference between, 'mi' and 'me'?

Return to “Expat Information”

Login  •  Register