DHL & Couriers

Answers to your qestions about moving to, and living in, Peru,
Lloyd007
Gold Member
Gold Member

DHL & Couriers

Postby Lloyd007 » Tue Oct 11, 2011 11:08 am

I have had a big issue with DHL this week.
My folks back home (UK) sent me a very important document via DHL - which we used for speed and security, plus it was almost half the price of FedEx.
The package also contained two bars of chocolate (hopefully Cadbury's...) and one document. Total cost, 36GBP, about US$50.
This got held up in Aduanas for the last 6 days. After several phone calls, the package has now been ''green lighted'' for delivery - if I pay S/.138 for the aduanas fees and taxes when they bring it to me.
I guess I really do not have a choice but to pay it. I can't believe it.
Has anybody else had any problems like this with courier services such as dhl, fedex etc???

bmike1
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: DHL & Couriers

Postby bmike1 » Tue Oct 11, 2011 11:21 am

s/. 138? should've just mailed it regular mail. I never had a problem with serpost. only took a week or a little longer to gey my package from the US
:-)~mike~(-:
MartitaAQP
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby MartitaAQP » Tue Oct 11, 2011 4:58 pm

If you search backthreads, you'll find many of us have had this experience. In the moment of sending it, fedex may be more expensive, but in the long run, it's FAR cheaper than DHL. The reason is the company who handles fedex deliveries inside peru doesn't charge "customs processing fees" but DHL invented them. DHL makes it's money holding you captive to pay to get it out of customs and it's ridiculous. If it's too urgent or precious for regular mail, use fedex.
Huayruru
Silver Member
Silver Member

Postby Huayruru » Tue Oct 11, 2011 5:44 pm

In my experience the key to using DHL is not to have anything sent that isn't declared as documents. Documents get cleared immediately but customs just seem to jump on anything else; I currently have a usb stick being held, five weeks and counting..

If it's not urgent, Royal Mail is the way to go for small packages from the UK: tend to get here in about 2-3 weeks, and personally I've never had customs issues (but make sure you declare less than $100 value).
el conquistador

Postby el conquistador » Wed Oct 12, 2011 6:47 pm

Lloyd007 wrote:I have had a big issue with DHL this week.
My folks back home (UK) sent me a very important document via DHL - which we used for speed and security, plus it was almost half the price of FedEx.
The package also contained two bars of chocolate (hopefully Cadbury's...) and one document. Total cost, 36GBP, about US$50.
This got held up in Aduanas for the last 6 days. After several phone calls, the package has now been ''green lighted'' for delivery - if I pay S/.138 for the aduanas fees and taxes when they bring it to me.
Has anybody else had any problems like this with courier services such as dhl, fedex etc???

I didn't know that you have to pay taxes to aduanas for a document. Beter to send it by normal mail. I often get mail from Ireland and always get it in less than 7 days delivered at home by Serpost and never had anything missing.
Digga

Postby Digga » Thu Nov 03, 2016 5:27 pm

I sent a package to my niece that was held for weeks. Was given all sorts of reasons including; contained a stuffed animal without having a tag listing materials of manufacture(it was hand knitted).they tried to say we had to pay import duties(BS) My wife was very up on the import laws and I had a real battle with dhl australia over it. After all was said and done they released it but then wanted "storage fees" DHL in Lima are just a bunch of thieves. DHL australia paid these fees out of embarrassment. I have never used DHL again
fanning
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby fanning » Thu Nov 03, 2016 6:42 pm

I think the problem with these couriers like DHL and Fedex, is that they charge a 'processing fee'
If you get a packet through Serpost, then once in a while it gets 'red flagged' and you need to go to Serpost in Lince to get your package. It can be that in that case you don't have to pay customs fees, and get your packet without additional costs. But you anyway loose your time in going to their office, and make long lines and listen to their bullshit.
So Serpost has a 'Service' which takes care of this process, and saves you a trip to Serpost offices. That used to cost like S/. 20 and you had to scan your invoice, and some declaracion jurada about the contents etc. But you don't have to leave your house for it.
I think now it costs around S/. 50 to use that service.

The problem with DHL and Fedex is that your package ALWAYS gets 'red flagged' and they automatically charge you a lot higher processing fee + storage charges, making it very expensive to import something through them. ( It is not so much the customs fees, but more the processing and storage fee that they charge you )
woodchuck
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby woodchuck » Sat Nov 05, 2016 8:56 am

I have been thru the "headaches" of using DHL & FedEx.
IMO, I feel they are PREDATORY COURIERS; meaning they charge such fees as they realize there are very few or no other options vs. a "free market"/competitive situation.
If Serpost would also have more customer-friendly policies; this would be a start.
Thanks for sharing & best wishes. :roll:
ironchefchris
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby ironchefchris » Sat Nov 05, 2016 2:00 pm

I don't think I've heard anything but bad experiences when receiving things via DHL or FedEx. I wonder if it's the same p.i.t.a. situation when using either company to send things out of Perú?
FDiH
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby FDiH » Thu Nov 10, 2016 8:48 am

So UPS, DHL and FedEx basically rip you off with their 'red flagged' storage fees and other trumped-up charges. Do we know of any other courier services that is reliable and does not make you feel financially violated? I have used TNT recently to send export documents to Asia. Was not impressed with their service.
mickd
Silver Member
Silver Member

Postby mickd » Fri Nov 11, 2016 6:06 am

I have sent a letter containing Legal Documents, to Lima this week from the UK. I used FedEx, and it was picked up on Monday afternoon, and was delivered in Barranco this Thursday afternoon. It was tracked and using the Express Package Service cost £59.57. To have sent this via the Royal Mail and be tracked would have cost £72.00.
Very pleased with the competitive price and the service.
tupacperu
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby tupacperu » Sun Nov 13, 2016 4:06 pm

Lloyd007 wrote:I have had a big issue with DHL this week.

Lol... They charged you import duties on the chocolate, any item that is not a document will be charged duties. Peru is a chocolate export country, protectionist
woodchuck
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby woodchuck » Mon Nov 14, 2016 7:42 am

Can anyone explain why it is so expensive to import certain supplements & vitamins?
Is Peru "protectionist" in this area also?
Lloyd, I hope you are going to share your chocolate with me???
Thanks. :roll:
bigdaddy
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby bigdaddy » Mon Nov 14, 2016 1:47 pm

woodchuck wrote:Can anyone explain why it is so expensive to import certain supplements & vitamins?
Is Peru "protectionist" in this area also?
Lloyd, I hope you are going to share your chocolate with me???

Yeah, especially if that chocolate comes with nuts.
Large and in charge!
woodchuck
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby woodchuck » Thu Dec 01, 2016 10:03 am

Update on couriers - please?

Has anyone had a good experience with a new courier?
It appears from posters that FedEx & DHL will get the job done; with DHL being less expensive.
TNT seems to be an option; any comments?

If you have used a "new courier" to the Lima market; please share your comments/experience.
FDiH
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby FDiH » Thu Dec 08, 2016 12:46 pm

We send quite a lot ot samples all over the world. Sometimes we use a courier but we actually prefer to use Serpost EMS service. It's not a fast a DHL but we have never had problems with EMS whereas we have had numerous issues with DHL, UPS, FedEx, TNT and the likes.
woodchuck
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby woodchuck » Thu Dec 08, 2016 8:11 pm

Thanks for the info; guaranteed delivery is more important than "fast".
Hopefully the service is better than in 2012; they lost a packet of very important papers.
I had to pay a substantial penalty; finally found an expat returning to the US to help out.
Best wishes. :roll:
caswellnicola

Postby caswellnicola » Fri Apr 20, 2018 12:02 pm

I have a question regarding DHL and couriers...

My husband and I are moving to Lima at the end of July and we have quite a lot of personal effects that we would like to bring.
When we relocated to Brazil 2 years ago we had a horrible time with DHL and our 3 boxes of personal items were held up in customs for 3 months.

From reading the posts on this subject I'm sensing I might have a similar problem in Lima. Can anyone confirm or deny? The alternative is to bring about 5 suitcases each on the plane when we arrive from Brazil. Does anyone have any thoughts / experience / suggestions / advise?
woodchuck
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby woodchuck » Sat Apr 21, 2018 8:21 am

My business friend here in Lima will never again use DHL or FedEx.
He had a specialized machine delivered & he had all kinds of delays & expenses.
Now he has a "special agent" who handles everything for him.
I have never understood why Peru makes it so difficult to import machinery, but I have had no experience with everyday household items.
Sorry I couldn't be of more help.

Return to “Expat Information”

Login  •  Register