safely leaving a property for 2-4 years

Answers to your qestions about moving to, and living in, Peru,
gojirasan

safely leaving a property for 2-4 years

Postby gojirasan » Mon Oct 17, 2011 1:00 am

I have found that i get bored living in the same place for too long. Bored and annoyed with all of the inevitable downsides that every location seems to have. But then after being away for a couple of years it all starts to seem nice again. To me that means it's time to go back! At least once you have traveled enough to rule out most other places. There doesn't seem to be any perfect place.

While I am planning to rent for my first year or two just to make sure that I don't absolutely hate Peru for some reason, at some point I will need to buy property. On this land I would either build a house and a large satellite dish or just a large satellite dish surrounded by high fencing. Probably the most likely scenario is to buy an already built house on a lot that is big enough to fit my dish. In a high crime country like Peru I don't think I can build the dish on one piece of property and live elsewhere. Someone has to be there every day to look after the dish.

What worries me about Peru are those strange squatting laws and the relatively high rate of crime. Do the squatting laws only apply to land that is undeveloped? If you build a house and leave for a couple of years and come back to find someone living there, will you lose ownership of the house? I am thinking that I could make sure to build a house on the property and rent it out before I leave or maybe allow someone to live there rent free in exchange for keeping an eye on my precious dish.

Or maybe the best solution is to build a reasonably nice, but small house for someone to live in in exchange for actually operating the scientific installation for me. I could keep in touch with the tenant by phone. Of course there is no guarantee that they will actually operate the dish, but as long as they guard it and whatever electronics I leave behind that would be enough. It would be nice if I could befriend someone and ask them to help me with this problem, but there's no guarantee of that.

Does this sound plausible? Do you think my dish and maybe my electronics would still be there when I got back after 2-4 years? It would be 2 years if I only live in one other country or 4 years if I live in 2 other countries. I'd appreciate any thoughts from expats. Never having even been to Peru it is hard for me to judge such things.

el conquistador

Re: safely leaving a property for 2-4 years

Postby el conquistador » Mon Oct 17, 2011 5:32 pm

Why do you need a large expensive sattelite dish for.

Just get a TV SAM connection. Pay 45 soles a month and you get 95 channels and when you leave you can get it disconnected for free.
gojirasan

Postby gojirasan » Mon Oct 17, 2011 5:55 pm

Think astronomy, not television programming. It would more or less be a radio telescope somewhere between 12 and 20 meters in diameter, depending on the costs and difficulties involved.
el conquistador

Postby el conquistador » Mon Oct 17, 2011 6:06 pm

gojirasan wrote:Think astronomy, not television programming. It would more or less be a radio telescope somewhere between 12 and 20 meters in diameter, depending on the costs and difficulties involved.

I live in San Martin, the safest province in Peru. They sell in my neigboorhood some terrenos for very low prices. Sometimes, I leave my home for a month and never had any problems.
douglas8
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby douglas8 » Mon Oct 17, 2011 7:27 pm

sheeeesh euroman your posts are usually entertaining but they should come with a disclaimer that your information is really not reliable...i mean you posed as a muslim woman -read trolling- and wrote some ridiculous and absurd (also entertaining) posts but like the boy who cried wolf i can't see why anyone would believe anything you say...if you told me the capital of peru was lima i would go and check it out from other sources first...caveat emptor with ol' el coneuromandor
bmike1
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby bmike1 » Mon Oct 17, 2011 7:37 pm

isn't it Cusco?
:-)~mike~(-:
Alpineprince
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby Alpineprince » Mon Oct 17, 2011 8:37 pm

I think it is in Miraflores in that fancy building next to the church in Park Kennedy!
fanning
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby fanning » Mon Oct 17, 2011 10:11 pm

To the OP. Could you explain to us why on earth you would want to build a 12-20 meter antenna on a plot of land, and then abandon it for 2-4 years ??? Doesn't make much sense to me.

And to Euroman, as usual you contradict yourself a lot. You are stating that San Martin is the safest department in Peru, and at the same time you are warning for highway robberies in that same area . Is it trolling time again ?
gojirasan

Postby gojirasan » Tue Oct 18, 2011 2:11 am

Well, as I said, I think I would get bored just staying in Peru for the rest of my life. My astronomy project may be the most important thing in my life at the moment, but it is not the only thing. If anyone else could understand that boredom with staying in one place I am betting it is other expats. You guys have probably lived in other countries besides Peru.

I would also like to spend time in Malaysia and Argentina. There are some things I like about each country, but I think the change of pace is the important thing. No matter how much I like a country I think the sameness of living in it every day kind of wears me down. I want a change of scenery from time to time. I guess I could move to a different part of the same country for some change of pace, but that wouldn't help in this case. I'd still be 'abandoning' my property.

My plan would be to have 2 or 3 homes. One in Peru because of the climate, the latitude (ideal for parts of my project), possibly the altitude (again great for my project), maybe the food, the easy language, no visa problems, relatively low cost of labor so that I can afford to hire people to help me.

Patagonia / Tierra del Fuego for the cold weather and change of seasons, probable good food, easy language and visa situation, as well as being one of the few places on the planet with a nice straight shot at Alpha Centauri, Epsilon Indi, and maybe LHS 288 and Gliese 832.

Malaysia, because I'd feel incomplete if I never stepped foot in Asia again, or never had a great curry again, and because the latitude is perfect for Procyon and and probably my only chance for 61 Cygni, and it's a chance to speak my native language for a while. It's also safe. I don't think anyone would mess with my dish while I was gone. Malaysia would be my northern hemisphere base.

The truth is I'm really not sure about Malaysia. I probably can't afford 3 bases anyway. It's just too expensive and too complex to manage. It would probably be better not to do astronomy in Malaysia. All that humidity, that water vapor is hell on microwaves. Maybe I should just spend a year there every 4 years as a kind of vacation. Get myself an apartment in Penang with a view of the sea and eat lots of curry and try to learn how to make it myself for my next 4 years in Peru and Argentina.

Our planet rotates only in one direction (assuming you ignore the precession of the equinoxes). So if I want to see everywhere in the sky I need a base at more than just one latitude. Luckily there is almost nothing of interest for my project in the northern sky. Pretty much just Procyon and 61 Cygni. If I found something of interest I would consider Finland or Norway, although that would present some pretty serious visa, money, and possibly language problems that I'd have to overcome, and there's only so much I can accomplish in one lifetime anyway.

Does that answer your question, whatever it was? What was it the British said about Americans? Ask a Yank for the time and they'll tell you how to build a clock. Or something like that.
el conquistador

Postby el conquistador » Tue Oct 18, 2011 7:08 pm

gojirasan wrote: Never having even been to Peru it is hard for me to judge such things.

Why do you want to buy a property and put a satellite dish on it in a country you've never been??

I suggest that you first visit Peru.
Drake
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby Drake » Sat Oct 22, 2011 4:55 pm

So "Euroman" is back as "El conquistador" is what you think but what is the truth really and why it concerns you it could be me also or maybe one of you.. I find this all quite amusing. Maybe we should make a new topic for this and spin a bottle and see who it points.

"He without the sin cast the first stone"
-Wyclef Jean-
:twisted:
bmike1
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby bmike1 » Sat Oct 22, 2011 5:22 pm

I haven't played spin the bottle since I was in 7th grade! Let's do it:D
bmike1
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby bmike1 » Sat Oct 22, 2011 6:06 pm

Who volunteers for a big sloppy kiss from the winner?
sanbartoloian
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby sanbartoloian » Mon Oct 24, 2011 8:01 am

I am out of my home in Peru for about 7 months a year. I would suggest a guard. What I like best about having a guard is that it gives him a chance to make some money have a place to live with cable and internet, and work and go to school. It contributes to the community in so many ways. I hire work done locally and my maid or maids are local. Take care of people and treat them with respect and they certainly take care of you.

Return to “Expat Information”

Login  •  Register