What would you change about Peru?

Answers to your qestions about moving to, and living in, Peru,
curlyguy18
Gold Member
Gold Member

What would you change about Peru?

Postby curlyguy18 » Sun Oct 23, 2011 3:29 pm

If you could change some things about Peru, what would they be?

I would like to see cleaner streets and better public transport.

Pollo mani
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: What would you change about Peru?

Postby Pollo mani » Sun Oct 23, 2011 3:40 pm

I would like car horns removed as well as car alarms and all veicheles to have proper mufflers.
Kelly

Postby Kelly » Sun Oct 23, 2011 3:45 pm

I'd like to see less disparity between the rich and poor.
americorps
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby americorps » Sun Oct 23, 2011 4:45 pm

Fund education and health care, eliminate bribery, clean the police force and enforce traffic laws and open a really good smoked meat BBQ restaurant
falconagain
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby falconagain » Sun Oct 23, 2011 4:50 pm

Less political correctness, better nutrition, more people that are open minded
no nationalistic without having a reason to do so.
Choripán
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby Choripán » Sun Oct 23, 2011 8:05 pm

I would go with reducing inequality as well. And not just for political/moral reasons. I find economic and social elites here to be surprisingly obnoxious. They really love their superiority - love to exercise their sense of superiority whenever the slightest opportunity presents itself. No doubt these habits have been cultivated over a lifetime of indoctrination on either end of the inequality spectrum. Seems unlikely that anyone could change it at this point.
emh
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby emh » Sun Oct 23, 2011 9:19 pm

In addition to all of the above, I'd add giving pedestrians the right of way.
gojirasan

Postby gojirasan » Mon Oct 24, 2011 1:29 am

For those of you want more equality, you could help by giving away all of your money until you have the same income as the poorest Peruvians. Yes, that's just an implementation detail. And I know you guys are just magic wand wishing, but I don't think you guys are wishing for the right things. I'd rather wish for poor Peruvians not to be so poor, rather than implicitly hoping that the rich Peruvians not be so rich. Your wish has a kind of implied solution within it. I don't think Robin Hooding the Peruvians would work out so well. It has been tried before and has never been successful. I lived in Cuba for a year and saw the results of such ideas.

I've never been to Peru. So I cannot have an opinion on this issue. But what about crime? I guess you guys have no concerns about that. As someone planning to move to Peru, I am concerned about it. I've already priced out bullet resistant and knife resistant vests. I'm not looking forward to worrying about my safety whenever I go out. Especially at night. As a future resident, that's my biggest concern.
bmike1
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby bmike1 » Mon Oct 24, 2011 6:01 am

Bullet proof vest? Dude, it isn't that bad!
:-)~mike~(-:
sanbartoloian
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby sanbartoloian » Mon Oct 24, 2011 7:53 am

Reading the changes, I think I would make most of those changes in the United States too. Inequity seems all over the world. I have never felt any more in danger in Peru than I have in the US. You have to be aware where ever your are, but not much into vests or such.

What I would change about Peru would be that I would be there more :) I only live in Peru five months a year.
emh
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby emh » Mon Oct 24, 2011 9:34 am

sanbartoloian wrote:Reading the changes, I think I would make most of those changes in the United States too. Inequity seems all over the world.

Good point! I hadn't realized that but looking back over the changes, I'd have to say I agree with you.
Drake
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby Drake » Mon Oct 24, 2011 9:49 am

The fisrt thing I would change is to clean the tap water. I come from a country where you can drink from the tap and the water doesn´t contain heavymetals, bacterias or toxins. Second thing is healthcare. I mean it should be available for everyone if you have income you will pay and if you don´t have income they should take care of you anyway.Third thing is the education, as long as Peru doesn´t financially support the students the people don´t have a chance to break out from poverty.
bmike1
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby bmike1 » Mon Oct 24, 2011 10:28 am

I thought Peru had universal health care.
tomsax
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby tomsax » Mon Oct 24, 2011 10:54 am

Better public education .
Less "what background/sector are from?" mentality, call it classism/racism what you will.
Less mistrust between Peruvians.
Less of a certain attitude that means people aren't courteous on the phone and that they don't let you know when they won't turn up and do something as agreed.
Tom
meggyrosey
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby meggyrosey » Mon Oct 24, 2011 11:00 am

I would love to change the level of corruption and distrust...it seems there isn't a level of respect for the police and people just do what they want (not like the police have done anything to deserve that respect)

I would also change the transportation...there needs to be a better way for public transportation besides the convis, metropolitano, and the "train", there is no way to get around without feeling like you are in a life size version of bumper cars...
Lloyd007
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby Lloyd007 » Mon Oct 24, 2011 11:20 am

Yes indeedy. I would go with most of these comments but I would really like to see drinkable tap water and the traffic problem sorted out. But as the traffic problem is so HUGE, where would one begin? I guess a massive underground system is out of the question....
Travelling around peak times such as 8am-10am and 5pm-8pm is a nightmare. Even the times inbetween those can be rough going most of the time. To me it's like one continuous rush hour from 8am to 8pm, Monday to Saturday.
emh
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby emh » Mon Oct 24, 2011 1:09 pm

Lloyd007 wrote:Yes indeedy. I would go with most of these comments but I would really like to see drinkable tap water and the traffic problem sorted out. But as the traffic problem is so HUGE, where would one begin? I guess a massive underground system is out of the question....
Travelling around peak times such as 8am-10am and 5pm-8pm is a nightmare. Even the times inbetween those can be rough going most of the time. To me it's like one continuous rush hour from 8am to 8pm, Monday to Saturday.

Oh theoretically I don't think it's that difficult. The solution is to expand the Metropolitano. Granted there are logistical issues to deal with but if Bogota can build a nine line system (with more lines on the way) why can't Lima? That won't solve all the problems but it would be a great start. And expansion of the Metropolitano would be cheaper and quicker than expansion of the train (one of the dumber ideas out there).
el conquistador

Postby el conquistador » Mon Oct 24, 2011 5:33 pm

Kelly wrote:I'd like to see less disparity between the rich and poor.

That's the main thing that has to change in Peru. It's not only the governments fault but also the rich are responsible for the poverty.

For example; the minimum wage has been raised to 700 soles a month but still many companies paid their employees far below that. Wages between 250 and 500 soles a month are normal in the provinces. Often for a 7 days working week.
edgeclinger
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby edgeclinger » Mon Oct 24, 2011 6:58 pm

Personally I'd like to see every single car alarm permanently disabled.
Loving Living in Lima
el conquistador

Postby el conquistador » Mon Oct 24, 2011 7:06 pm

edgeclinger wrote:Personally I'd like to see every single car alarm permanently disabled.

Edgeclinger, I suggest you call 'The Rectifier'.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0425308/
gojirasan

Postby gojirasan » Mon Oct 24, 2011 9:13 pm

I don't understand why so many third world countries have trouble purifying their tap water. It's not rocket science. It's not like they are being asked to start their own space program and land a man on Mars. Maybe the government just sees it as too expensive.
emh
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby emh » Mon Oct 24, 2011 9:58 pm

edgeclinger wrote:Personally I'd like to see every single car alarm permanently disabled.

Was just thinking about that tonight!
Lloyd007
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby Lloyd007 » Tue Oct 25, 2011 11:42 am

I'd also replace all the really old combi's and busses. You know, the ones that sound like it's an aircraft taking off. I can't stand the noise of old engines and all the fumes they bellow out. I'm sure we're all familair with walking down the street while having a chat with a friend or partner and you have to take a pause until the roar of the engine has gone past because you can't be heard.
There are some newer ones around nowadays, even some that run on gas, but there's a long way to go...
jimmyglen
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby jimmyglen » Wed Oct 26, 2011 11:26 am

Public Education #1

with out a better education system Peru's future is very limited

Schools should be priority #1

might sound cliche but children are the future
TE AMO PERU!
Polaron
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby Polaron » Wed Oct 26, 2011 12:09 pm

I'm with you guys with respect to car alarms and car horns. They are so overused as to have become meaningless; I think people just filter them out (I know I do).

I would also like to see more equality, a better distribution of the wealth, and an elimination of the AFPs in favor of a government-run pension system, because the AFPs are not trustworthy, and if they screw up, they can ruin the lives of millions of people (like happened in Chile a few years back).

Also, I would like to see Peru implement universal health care without some of the zany regulations. For example, my housekeeper no longer qualifies for health care simply because she got a credit card. Her income did not change; only having the credit card did (and she works odd jobs and is raising a family).
Professional, bilingual writer at your service.
mammalu
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby mammalu » Wed Oct 26, 2011 1:48 pm

Polaron wrote:I'm with you guys with respect to car alarms and car horns. They are so overused as to have become meaningless; I think people just filter them out (I know I do).

I would also like to see more equality, a better distribution of the wealth, and an elimination of the AFPs in favor of a government-run pension system, because the AFPs are not trustworthy, and if they screw up, they can ruin the lives of millions of people (like happened in Chile a few years back).

Also, I would like to see Peru implement universal health care without some of the zany regulations. For example, my housekeeper no longer qualifies for health care simply because she got a credit card. Her income did not change; only having the credit card did (and she works odd jobs and is raising a family).

Fully agree! Alarms and carn horns have to go. I don't understand the credit card issue! Would she qualify again if she cancels her credit card?
Stand with anybody that stands RIGHT. Stand with him while he is right and PART with him when he goes wrong." ! Abraham Lincoln
bmike1
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby bmike1 » Wed Oct 26, 2011 6:48 pm

I thiink I know what they're thinking with the credit card. I think they consider the credit limit as cash on hand..... like a kind of savings. I know that is how my wife thinks of it!
renodante
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby renodante » Wed Oct 26, 2011 10:34 pm

ahhahah. what? you don't like the daily car alarm symphony?
Alpineprince
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby Alpineprince » Wed Oct 26, 2011 10:43 pm

Thicker pork chops and shell steaks and another vote for banning car alarms.
renodante
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby renodante » Wed Oct 26, 2011 10:57 pm

i would like the guy in the apartment above me to finish whatever project he's been working on for the last 4 months that involves drilling for hours, either in the late afternoon, or my personal favorite, early morning on the weekends.

what the hell is he building up there, Noah's Ark? it's an apartment, what can he be possibly doing?

if i were King of Peru I would ban early morning drilling in apartment buildings.
falconagain
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby falconagain » Thu Oct 27, 2011 12:16 am

Sincerely after thinking about carefully, I think that we peruvians need the good
old medicine that we had before, a Military Dictatorship but with a capable and
wise leader like Pinochet that kills all the corrupt people in the National Stadium
and after that we start over by keeping a standard where honor and virtue are
demanded from every citizen. Obviously with some stern laws and the death penalty
reinstated for the worse crimes (like in China). I think that this is the only way
to make a real Peru that avanza instead of some patchwork of a country that
thinks that entitlements and equality is the way to go.

Well I am asking to Santa Claus for that one, at least I am not selfish.
Polaron
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby Polaron » Thu Oct 27, 2011 6:09 am

renodante wrote:i would like the guy in the apartment above me to finish whatever project he's been working on for the last 4 months that involves drilling for hours, either in the late afternoon, or my personal favorite, early morning on the weekends.

what the hell is he building up there, Noah's Ark? it's an apartment, what can he be possibly doing?

if i were King of Peru I would ban early morning drilling in apartment buildings.

Renodante, have you stopped to consider that your upstairs neighbor might be using an oversized dental drill?

"Is it safe?" :lol:
Professional, bilingual writer at your service.
lizzym
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby lizzym » Thu Oct 27, 2011 2:00 pm

It's amazing how many times I've heard Peruvians suggest that Peruvians need a dictatorship to make them stop doing the things that Peruvians don't like. Still haven't figured out that paradox.

A broom handle to the ceiling always makes the drill guy above me stop in the early morning hours. This seems to be a popular time for drilling projects; maybe they get inspired after a few beers?
falconagain
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby falconagain » Thu Oct 27, 2011 3:39 pm

lizzym wrote:It's amazing how many times I've heard Peruvians suggest that Peruvians need a dictatorship to make them stop doing the things that Peruvians don't like. Still haven't figured out that paradox.

A broom handle to the ceiling always makes the drill guy above me stop in the early morning hours. This seems to be a popular time for drilling projects; maybe they get inspired after a few beers?

There is no paradox, Peru has been governed by dictatorships for a good part of its history.
The changes that are requested in this thread were implemented during some of the dictatorships,
but as soon as we went back to democracy things got more relaxed and everybody went back to
the old ways of behavior (corruption, etc, etc).

It is unfortunate. But people only behave when there is a threat of heavy punishment or a death
penalty.
bmike1
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby bmike1 » Thu Oct 27, 2011 3:55 pm

You want a death penalty if your car alarm goes off? MAN.... are you tuff!
lizzym
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby lizzym » Thu Oct 27, 2011 7:47 pm

hahaha bmike ... that would either be a lot of death penalties or a lot of happy car thieves

i meant the paradox that: everybody seems to hate what they say everybody seems to do. usually there would be some dichotomy between the two groups. i know that not everyone does those things, but it seems to be a majority, as well as a majority who don't like them. so, the two groups are the same? that, i can't figure out.
renodante
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby renodante » Thu Oct 27, 2011 8:02 pm

but as soon as we went back to democracy things got more relaxed and everybody went back to

pretty sure the standard of living in peru was utter crap during the military dictatorships.
Kelly

Postby Kelly » Thu Oct 27, 2011 8:29 pm

lizzym wrote:hahaha bmike ... that would either be a lot of death penalties or a lot of happy car thieves

i meant the paradox that: everybody seems to hate what they say everybody seems to do. usually there would be some dichotomy between the two groups. i know that not everyone does those things, but it seems to be a majority, as well as a majority who don't like them. so, the two groups are the same? that, i can't figure out.

I think that's explained like this - I don't like people cutting in line. However, so many people do it that if I ever want to get my bread in the bodega, I have to do it too.

People assume that "everyone else" is going to do it (whatever it is), so they feel like they have the right to do it too - or in some cases, want to do it first before it's done to them.
falconagain
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby falconagain » Thu Oct 27, 2011 9:00 pm

renodante wrote:

pretty sure the standard of living in peru was utter crap during the military dictatorships.

Actually it was the highest standard of living that Peru ever achieved, the country had plenty
of jobs, organized public transportation, free education, affordable housing, low crime rate.
It had its downsides obviously but the downsides of that time appear to be blessings compared to the problems of today.

Besides that because the exchange rate with the dollar was so bad no Americans could afford to
live in Peru.
mariate
Silver Member
Silver Member

Postby mariate » Thu Oct 27, 2011 10:52 pm

"A capable and wise leader like Pinochet..." (isn´t that guy sentenced for violation against human rights?)
I don´t know how many times I have heard that kind of comment amongst the upper classes or wanna be upper classes. A typical paternalist approach, underminig the responsability from the citizen and let some tough guy handle us with iron fist, surely a militar dictator knows better than us what is convenient for us.
curlyguy18
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby curlyguy18 » Thu Oct 27, 2011 10:53 pm

Thanks everyone for your opinions. As a Peruvian, I had only thought about improving public transport and cleaning up the streets, but I must say I agree with a lot of the posts on this topic. Keep posting!

Jr.
teamoperu
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby teamoperu » Thu Oct 27, 2011 11:00 pm

Many political analysts conclude a benevolent dictatorship is the best form of government... long live Peter the Great!
bmike1
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby bmike1 » Thu Oct 27, 2011 11:19 pm

What about Ivan the Impaler? He kept his subjects safe! Whenever an army invaded his kigdom they would turn around before passing his victims:)
emh
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby emh » Fri Oct 28, 2011 8:45 am

mariate wrote:"A capable and wise leader like Pinochet..." (isn´t that guy sentenced for violation against human rights?)
I don´t know how many times I have heard that kind of comment amongst the upper classes or wanna be upper classes. A typical paternalist approach, underminig the responsability from the citizen and let some tough guy handle us with iron fist, surely a militar dictator knows better than us what is convenient for us.

Yeah I'm pretty sure that's the first time anyone's ever used the words "capable" and "wise" in the same sentence as Pinochet.
emh
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby emh » Fri Oct 28, 2011 8:47 am

teamoperu wrote:Many political analysts conclude a benevolent dictatorship is the best form of government... long live Peter the Great!

I agree....as long as I get to be dictator!!! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
falconagain
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby falconagain » Fri Oct 28, 2011 1:58 pm

emh wrote:
mariate wrote:"A capable and wise leader like Pinochet..." (isn´t that guy sentenced for violation against human rights?)

Yeah I'm pretty sure that's the first time anyone's ever used the words "capable" and "wise" in the same sentence as Pinochet.

Actually Pinochet was so capable and wise that the CIA tried to removed Pinochet several times because
he was doing a good job (giving democracy a bad name). You know the drill, in Washington they assign
several Ph D to analyze which government is not complying with American Interests, meaning that their
standard of living is too high and that they do not want to sell goods and services at a low price. It is
the same old game that is practiced all over the world. Of course now its China's turn and we will see
soon what will happen when they become the world police.
americorps
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby americorps » Fri Oct 28, 2011 2:08 pm

Regardless of US Imperialism, are you trying to say that Pinochet was not that bad?
falconagain
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby falconagain » Fri Oct 28, 2011 3:40 pm

americorps wrote:Regardless of US Imperialism, are you trying to say that Pinochet was not that bad?

Thanks to Pinochet long term government Chile achieved first world living conditions.
When Peru was under the Military on the 70s Peru was also close to achieve the same.
Obviously US Imperialism is a factor as the people that helped remove the military
back in the 70s might still be getting paid until today because they continue being
in positions of power. People that have no shame and sell their country for some
miserable amount like a million per year.
JoshuS
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby JoshuS » Fri Oct 28, 2011 4:11 pm

I would like to see stealing as a profession eradicated not only from Peru but the whole world as well, starting with the thieves at high levels of the US government, Wall Street and all those false institutions that composed its network of stealing and plundering around the globe. Peruvians petty thieves might operate illegally, while those in the US legally, very little difference in my book, a thief is a thief. There's a desperate need for a major overhaul of the current world paradigm we live in.
americorps
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby americorps » Fri Oct 28, 2011 4:12 pm

I see little difference to saying that about Pinochet and exclaiming that Hitler kept the trains moving on time and fed the hungry despite his little Holocaust misdeeds.

systematic torture and murder of tens of thousand, especially targeting gays and lesbians and persons with disabilities as well as political opponents is simply not better for Chile in any definition.

A wrong does not balance a right and the torture and murder of thousands is never excusable or balanced by good acts.

Return to “Expat Information”

Login  •  Register