US Citizen Marrying a Peruvian

Answers to your qestions about moving to, and living in, Peru,
rosiebick

US Citizen Marrying a Peruvian

Postby rosiebick » Wed Oct 26, 2011 1:42 am

Hey everyone- so my Peruvian boyfriend and I are talking about getting married, but want to know what the most legal and easiest ways to go about it is- the goal being for us to live in the states.

Our two ideas are a) figure out what we need to do to get him into the US and get married here (although he's already been denied a tourist visa once) or b) get married in Peru and then figure out how to get back in the states.

Advice? Laws? Experience?

We're really at a loss for what's best, I'll be living in Peru for a while and figured as far as the waiting period to get papers processed and what not- that it would make the time worthwhile to get married there while I'm living there for 6 months, wait it out a few month months, and then he could make it over in time....

Sooo really anything you guys could offer would be great! Graciasss

Kelly

Re: US Citizen Marrying a Peruvian

Postby Kelly » Wed Oct 26, 2011 7:02 am

The quickest way is to get a fiance visa to take him to the US and get married there. I'd recommend going to visajourney.com to look for information, they are experts on the subject.
Icachico
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby Icachico » Wed Oct 26, 2011 2:09 pm

The fiancee visa may be the quickest way by a matter of months but not necessarily the easiest way.
A fiancee visa is scrutinized more due to the high number of visa fraud cases. As the petitioner, you
may find some of the questions asked about you to be intrusive.
And since your bf has previously applied for a tourist visa, your case may be looked into more
intensely.
Personally, I opted for a spousal visa. My wife & I had a civil ceremony in Lima followed by a reception.
All of this was a fraction of the cost vs. the U.S.
Also, her family was present; an impossibility in the U.S.
This being said, doing any legal paperwork in Peru is a unique experience that everyone should have the pleasure of experiencing.
mateo
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby mateo » Wed Oct 26, 2011 4:05 pm

I am doing the same thing.

We thought, "why waste time and money waiting for her to get over here??? Even if we DID see each other frequently it would cost $1200 for me to fly there every so often. Plus, she is approaching 40 like me. So as far as having kids goes, time is not on our side.

So, in two weeks I leave for Peru! We will have a civil marriage with a reception. Then, whenever her paperwork is figured out we will return to live in the states and have small catholic wedding. 6....12...18...24 months??? Who cares. We're together and surrounded by family and the ocean!

I have a job waiting for me in Lima. I love her family. I enjoy my time spent in Lima. So this seems like the best of both worlds.

So sorry, I do not have any advice for you, however, I just wanted you to know that you are not alone and as far as I am concerned you (we) are doing it correctly.

Anyone who says "get married in US first must either a) not care how long they are away from their significant other, or b) not realize that getting INTO the US by any means is very hard. So why the hell would two people in love not do what we are doing?

Good for you, Rosiebick. :-D
Kelly

Postby Kelly » Wed Oct 26, 2011 10:43 pm

mateo wrote:Anyone who says "get married in US first must either a) not care how long they are away from their significant other, or b) not realize that getting INTO the US by any means is very hard. So why the hell would two people in love not do what we are doing?

That's a great solution if you're able to come to Peru and stay, but if not - coming to Peru and getting married here, THEN trying to bring a spouse to the US while you wait there (usually) takes longer than getting the Fiance visa. With the fiance visa, you bring them there, get married and then do all the paperwork while you're together in the US. If you get married in Peru, then YOU go back to the states while your new spouse goes through all the paper work here - you'll end up being (usually) end up being apart longer.

Lots of people get turned down for tourist visas, I don't believe that it's usually held against people when they apply for the K1 fiance visa.

if you can leave your life in the US and come to Peru - well, that's what I did, and I dont' regret it. :)
ashmess408

Postby ashmess408 » Thu Oct 27, 2011 9:50 am

Hi...getting married in Peru is definitely easier and faster.
All you do is go to the US Embassy get your 'constancia de solteria' that costs like 70 soles if I remember correctly. Also, when you're there ask about any other paperwork they require to ensure your marriage will be recognized in the US.
Then get your birth certificate stamped with an 'apostille' in the US.
When it arrives here take it to an official translator (about 150 soles) (I have a great one I can recommend but I would have to look in my files).
Then you get that translator's signature legalized at Ministerio de RElaciones Exteriores (30 soles).
Then get both you and your boyfriends medicals exams at the approved location depending on the district you live in (around 80 seles each person).
The cost of the ceremony ranges from 180 to 400 depending on the district and the day of the week you want.
It is completely true that they will scrutinize your boyfriend much more since he has applied in the past for the tourist visa if you try to get the fiance visa.
Extra info: If you do get married here and then apply for the spousal visa you do not have to spend big bucks for the translations required by the US govt. I have worked in the US for several years translating documents for an immigration matters, such as marriages that have been approved and I am not an official translator. I have a lot of experience in that regard so any other questions feel free to write me.
Ashley ([email protected])
Good luck and congrats!
Any other
Icachico
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby Icachico » Thu Oct 27, 2011 10:26 am

The fiancee visa or non-immigrant visa is often referred to as the "test drive" visa b/c you have 90 days to get married or the fiancee must return home so the petitioner & fiancee "shack up" & can have a limited time trial marriage to see if the relationship is going to work out.
To me, it doesn't seem fair to the fiancee & probably doesn't go over too well with his/her parents if the fiancee comes from a conservative background.
Then if they get married, in order to get a green card, the non-immigrant fiancee will still have to file for adjustment of status I-485 (over $1000 filling fee) whereas a spouse becomes an immigrant the minute he/she enters the U.S.
(nothing to adjust) & can receive his/her green card shortly afterward.
These days, most fiancee & spousal petitions are taking approximately the same time to process so speed is irrelevant.
MarcoPE
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby MarcoPE » Thu Oct 27, 2011 6:20 pm

dxpygue
Last edited by MarcoPE on Wed Dec 21, 2011 11:20 pm, edited 2 times in total.
rosiebick

Postby rosiebick » Fri Oct 28, 2011 1:32 am

Is it possible if we were to get married in Lima that he still wouldn't be allowed into the states? What's the process from there?
I understand we have to get everything authorized (or something...) by the Peruvian and American governments- am I right? And from there, with those papers, he can apply for a green card? Or a spousal visa, what is that?
Icachico
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby Icachico » Fri Oct 28, 2011 8:03 am

A spousal visa known as a CR-1 or IR-1 is an immigrant visa.
I don't think you would have any problems marrying him in Peru, applying then receiving a spousal visa & getting him into the U.S. as long as he doesn't have a serious criminal record.
IMO, it's the best route to take but do read Visa Journey as the others have stated & then decide what is best for the both of you.
Good luck.
RyanJ2912

Postby RyanJ2912 » Sat Aug 15, 2015 12:26 pm

So back in February 2015, I went back to Peru to spend time with my Peruvian girlfriend, I had met her and all of her family 5 years earlier on my mission there. We stayed in contact over skype and facebook and eventually we got serious about our relationship. We were planning to get married after spending our time together and after a few months my job fell through and I had to get back to the US. I put in the K-1 visa application to get her here and found out that it was going to take 5 months to get that over with which is just way too long for us. So we're going to just get married in Peru and apply for the K-3 visa later. I don't have a problem living in Peru as long as I'm making enough money to have essentials. We're losing $340 on the K-1 visa, but we'd rather just go the other way. The first go around we were gonna spend about S/.140 on the translation and I didn't have my birth certificate apostille. While I was in Peru we found out about another translator that is getting my certificate translated for S/.40
randomperson
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby randomperson » Tue Aug 18, 2015 1:19 pm

No one seems to have mentioned this detail. While yes, it's much quicker, easier to get married in Peru, any significant time you spend there represents a loss of first world income-assuming you aren't retired. This comes into play when submitting your affidavit of support, your most recent tax return to prove that you can support your immigrant spouse. You must meet the minimum income threshold which is a catch-22 if you choose to hang out in Peru for any extended period of time with your new spouse while navigating the system.
captcosmic
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby captcosmic » Wed Aug 19, 2015 8:40 am

Agree on the website Visa Journey. I used it to do the CR visa without a lawyer's help or expense! I also agree that marrying in Peru was easier for me at least from a guy's point of view. My family could not go, even if it was easier for them to get visas. While if I had to get visas for her family, that would have been impossible! Photographic evidence of the wedding and relationship can always be useful if questioned for immigration purposes. Any minor snafus in the visa process, be sure to ask your senator or representative for help. It can make a big difference! Good luck and all the best to you!
Dave
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby Dave » Wed Aug 19, 2015 9:44 am

RyanJ2912 wrote:So back in February 2015, I went back to Peru to spend time with my Peruvian girlfriend, I had met her and all of her family 5 years earlier on my mission there. We stayed in contact over skype and facebook and eventually we got serious about our relationship. We were planning to get married after spending our time together and after a few months my job fell through and I had to get back to the US. I put in the K-1 visa application to get her here and found out that it was going to take 5 months to get that over with which is just way too long for us. So we're going to just get married in Peru and apply for the K-3 visa later. I don't have a problem living in Peru as long as I'm making enough money to have essentials. We're losing $340 on the K-1 visa, but we'd rather just go the other way. The first go around we were gonna spend about S/.140 on the translation and I didn't have my birth certificate apostille. While I was in Peru we found out about another translator that is getting my certificate translated for S/.40

You said 5 months for the K1 is way too long but a K3 will take much longer. I don't personally understand why anyone would do a K3 anyway, as she will not be able to legally work or study once she's in the US, and you'll have to go through a whole second process later to adjust her status and get her a green card. With a CR1 visa, which takes about the same amount of time as a K3, she'll receive an immigrant visa and get full permanent resident status. K3 is also more expensive.
http://www.visajourney.com/content/compare

If you're living in Peru already anyway then you should seriously consider Direct Consular Filing. This is by far the fastest way to get her a visa, and it will be an immigrant visa meaning automatic green card. It costs about the same as the CR1.

We're at the tail end of our CR1 process (NVC case complete, just waiting on interview date) and it has been faster and smoother than most of the estimated time frames I have seen, although this can change over time. We are also doing it all without a lawyer (and in all seriousness I believe this has actually made the process easier.)

I also got married 2 years ago in Peru, it required a lot of documents, some of which like the 'soltero' certificate don't exist in the US so that made it tricky. You also need court records, declaration of domicile, and you need all of these legalized at a consulate in the US. I'm not sure if they can also be legalized in Lima.

One last point for applying for the US visa if you're trying to cut costs: you don't have to pay for official certified translations, you can do them yourself.
vivaperusurf
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby vivaperusurf » Thu Aug 20, 2015 3:13 pm

anyone know what a brichero is?

imho chokifuga mejor. less probs in the aftermath. sorry im a guy.
mananee

Postby mananee » Mon Aug 31, 2015 2:09 am

but want to know what the most legal and easiest ways to go about it is- the goal being for us to live in the states.
gclub royal1688

Return to “Expat Information”

Login  •  Register