Car Export

Answers to your qestions about moving to, and living in, Peru,
bishbosh

Car Export

Postby bishbosh » Thu Oct 27, 2011 1:23 am

Hi all, over here on a 6 month tourist visa and thinking of shipping a combi back to Britain. Would appreciate any pointers/advice or even specifics if anyone has any info?

many thanks in advance.

bishbosh

bmike1
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: Car Export

Postby bmike1 » Thu Oct 27, 2011 1:47 pm

those old things?
:-)~mike~(-:
bishbosh

Postby bishbosh » Thu Oct 27, 2011 9:45 pm

bmike1 wrote:those old things?

lol 'those old things' are worth anything up to 10 grand back home.

If anyone knows any reliable shipping firms or methods, please pipe up.

thx
zerosktz

Postby zerosktz » Wed Nov 23, 2011 10:20 pm

interesting! i'm actually in the same situation. not exactly looking to take a combi back home to miami, but i bought a car here and i wanna take it back home with me.

the story basically is that i sold the car i had back home when i came here to Lima, and all the money went into the new (old) car and fixing it up. bought it, drove it for about 2 weeks. then i took it to the mecanic's shop to be completely taken apart, sandblasted, worked and fixed the chasis, painted it, put it back together, re did the interior in leather and added a couple of things.

why would i do this? first the car i bought is a bit rare even back home, although there are loads on the west coast, mostly california, our nation's race capital, pretty much :). most of them modified for drift, autocross, racing that sort of thing. the thing is, since it's an older car, rust is a problem and to do the entire restoration job with the sandblasting of the chasis and everything i've done to the car, it would've been too expensive to do in the states. i would've never been able to afford it with just my sold car fund.

second, my dad owned the same car back home. it was the first new car he bought in the states when he moved from peru to miami. his brother (my uncle) also had one (albeit a little different then me and my dad's, his was a coupe, ours was a hatchback).

third, toyota made me do it. since my dad and me are associated with toyota here in peru, importing my nissan from miami wasn't an option. the toyota people don't look too kindly on using other brands.

anyways, after having the car in the shop for something close to a year, while it was disassembled and put back together and all the money i put into it.... it's damn well coming back with me! all that time it was in the shop i was riding the combis and crap... that sucked! plus pretty much, during my entire time here working on that thing has kept me sane. you have no idea how much i miss home! and compared to miami, lima isn't all that great, if you know what i mean.

anyways, my aim is to have it garaged and be one of those cool car guys with a classic you hardly ever see, and maybe pass it on to my son IF he's worthy of it!

my only regret is that if i knew what i know now about mechanics and the car scene here in peru back when i first got it, the car would be in even better shape and it would've all been cheaper too!

anyways good luck with your combi! you're not alone dude.
bmike1
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby bmike1 » Thu Nov 24, 2011 2:47 pm

I don't know if the USA will let you bring a foreign car here. It probably won't have the proper emissions rating.
:-)~mike~(-:
zerosktz

Postby zerosktz » Thu Nov 24, 2011 3:18 pm

already way of ahead of you there mike.

since my car was manufactured by toyota in 1985, a special rule applies to it, that being that cars 25 years or older are exempt from all EPA and DOT regulations and are elegible for import as "classics" or "collectibles"

furthermore, my car is a US Domestic Market car actually. it was salvaged & exported from USA to Peru back in the mid 90s. so it has a VIN that has previously been registered in the U.S (Arizona to be exact).

technically, because the car is "modified" (meaning the car has a swapped japanese engine, aftermarket ecu, throttles, distributorless ignition, headers, exhaust etc) this rule shouldn't apply to it anymore, since it applies to stock cars in factory set up only, but before i ship it i'll be converting it back to stock set up with it's original air filter and all sensors, original toyota ECU, putting the distributor back on and everything. obviously going to test the exhaust gas too to make sure it meets the levels the local DMV demands, as well. this is pretty simple, just a matter of re-tuning the stock ecu. the emissions levels can also be found online.

with that said, the engine will still be problem. even if it's smogged and has no problem and passes, they will still conduct a VISUAL test and since the engine is technically illegal in the U.S because it's a Japanese market engine that was never released for the U.S Market, it will fail the visual and i will not be able to register it to drive on public roads. however, i should not have a problem getting the car out of customs. at worst i'll have to get it towed out of there.

the registration issue is something that can later be taken care of with contacts. if you're not familiar with the car scene, swapped engines are a fairly common phenomenon. and not all cars with swapped engines are track only cars. so how do these people drive their souped up street cars in public then? i'll let you figure that out.

also keep in mind that some states DMVs are stricter than others. California being notorious for being the strictest state in the nation in regards to these things. i doubt they'll even know what's under my hood if everything looks fairly normal, since i'm taking it to Florida. in Cali though I'd be afraid if a highway patrol man pulled me over and asked me to pop the hood, since usually they know their stuff, but you'd have to be pretty obvious to have them do this (loud exhaust, roll cage, driving like an idiot in the middle of broad daylight etc).

anyways, i've researched a lot into this and have talked to people that have brought in similar cars from japan and elsewhere. like i said, shouldn't have a problem getting it out of customs. at worst i won't be able to register the car. and that's a minor problem that can be solved later.
rama0929
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby rama0929 » Thu Nov 24, 2011 3:43 pm

I would suspect that having the car previously titled in the states, makes things a lot easier.
rama0929
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby rama0929 » Thu Nov 24, 2011 4:03 pm

Whaddya got? Sounds like it would be a Corolla (AE85/6)
zerosktz

Postby zerosktz » Thu Nov 24, 2011 7:14 pm

that's right rama, you must know a bit about cars to ID it out of the blue.

you driving anything interesting? haha

but yeah it's a panda corolla GT-S AE86 hatch. :D
rama0929
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby rama0929 » Thu Nov 24, 2011 7:45 pm

zerosktz wrote:that's right rama, you must know a bit about cars to ID it out of the blue.

you driving anything interesting? haha

but yeah it's a panda corolla GT-S AE86 hatch. :D

Panda HachiRoku? Were you delivering Tofu while in Peru? :lol:

I had a 79 & 80 Rolla. 83 & 89 Celica.

Up until a couple of months ago, I had a Scirocco

Currently, I'm driving a Santa Fe, working on trying to get a 96 G20 back on the road, but I may try to get into another Scirocco (hopefully a 16V), or maybe a GTI.

AE86's are pretty rare here in the NE, a lot of them rusted out. Many others have had the hell beaten out of them. With the popularity of Initial D, that jacked up the price of whichever ones that were in decent shape.

Wish they'd make cars like that again, a light, cheap tossable, manual RWD. There are still fun cars out there, Hyundai Genesis Coupe comes to mind but nothing like the older cars of the 80's.
rama0929
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby rama0929 » Sat Nov 26, 2011 10:41 am

Feel free to hip me to the auto scene in Peru, I haven't been there long enough to find things out. There was a race last year in Ica, I think, but I had to take the gf dancing the night before and I was unable to go. I did also see an ad for a MotoTaxi race too. I also know of the Dakar Rally in January.

I need more time there to scope things out.
zerosktz

Postby zerosktz » Sat Nov 26, 2011 4:23 pm

hahaha i get that bit about the tofu all the time. when people hear my dad had one too then they really start calling me takumi. everyone gets a laugh about it.

i actually have a friend with a similar car here (hatchback ae86, trueno pop up lights) and he actually has the japanese front end and rear bumper with the tofo sticker on his door and everything. they call him takumi of san isidro. hahaha been meaning to get him to let me borrow his bumpers so i can make frp copies of them. they look nice!

but yeah man scirocco's are nice dude! get the 16v! lol

in regards to the car scene down here, through my whole car project i've come to know which mechanics and shops and stuff are good for hachiroku type cars and ive met a lot of people and met some friends through my car haha so if you need anything let me know. i know people who tune ecus, build engines, suspensions that sort of thing, some of whom are local ex racers that sort of thing.

in regards to the events ive been to: pretty much the local ae86 club gatherings (which they usually do in the circuito de playas in Chorillos/Miraflores, then later they end up leaving and going to drift somewhere lol), been to a drag racing event the other day at an Air Base in Chorilllos with a buddy, and the usual Wednesday night meet up at the mcdonalds by la universidad de lima (guy/gals with hooked up cars, motorcycles show up and hang out, some go racing God knows where lol).

one time i went to the Chutana circuit out on the panamericana sur highway and saw a race too. dont remember what it was for though... the local championship? i don't know.

my friends also usually go to a local drift championship that they hold at that same air base in Chorillos. they usually do it sunday mornings and afternoons. i havent been, cause i always get up late on sundays, but it sounds pretty cool. they practice and everything.

the latest event i heard was going down was the 6 peruvian hours, which they're doing at the chutana.

never heard of a MotoTaxi race though? haha crazy! i have heard though that before they have hooked up a tico for the caminos del inca rally. the last one was not that long ago.
rama0929
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby rama0929 » Sat Nov 26, 2011 5:51 pm

I think it's awesome that there's an auto scene in Lima. I've seen undercurrents of it, but nothing really formal until my last couple of trips there.

Gives me another thing to do while there. I think it's great that Peru being Peru, you get small light cars that you normally wouldn't find in the states, such as Ticos. I hadn't seen a Toyota Starlet since the 80's. Turbo Gols are neat too. Even saw an old school Challenger.

I must investigate further my next trip there. Wouldn't mind seeing or participating in some autocross.

Speaking of which, that MotoTaxi race happened @ Plaza Norte, and it was more like an autocross, than a race, which makes sense given the liability.

Sponsored by Red Bull
http://www.youtube.com/watch?NR=1&v=sUV6w0B7JKM
Frans
Silver Member
Silver Member

Postby Frans » Wed Feb 08, 2012 8:52 pm

Question.

I understand the import duty on cars is 30%.
But 30% of what ?
Of the original list price of the manufacturer ?
Or of the current depreciated value ?
Or of the price you paid in case you brought a car second hand ?
And do you pay also 30% of the cost of the sea transport ?
And is this 30% also valid if you going to become resident in Peru ?
And can you ship car to Peru and register it on your name if you still tourist ?

Can somebody please give me some guidance on the official rule(s) if possible

Thanks
chi chi
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby chi chi » Wed Feb 08, 2012 10:03 pm

bishbosh wrote:
bmike1 wrote:those old things?

lol 'those old things' are worth anything up to 10 grand back home.

If anyone knows any reliable shipping firms or methods, please pipe up.

thx

I was thinking something similar. I saw some good escarabajos for sale. Good escarabajos (beetles) can be bought cheap her and one in good condition is worth a fortune in Europe.
My gf says that they are cheap because Peruvians find them ugly and don't want to be seen in one of them.

(What would she think of me if I told my secret. I was used to have a Trabant with a DDR sticker on the back. It was my first car.)

http://www.google.com.pe/imgres?q=traba ... 9,r:7,s:58
captsirl
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby captsirl » Sat Feb 11, 2012 7:38 am

I got a beautiful 1950 Chevy 4 door here in San Miguel that would go quick on the streets of Miami. PS there is no real trouble importing to the USA . I was in the business of import and export from the USA and still hold the Federal tax ID/ You should be able to put it in a container for less than 2000 dollars. Exporting from the US is the problem. Most small countries don't want the iron we sell being dumped on them. So they put a 5 year old limit on a inspected car. But buying offshore and returning to the USA .... No Problem
caliguy
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby caliguy » Mon Feb 13, 2012 1:14 pm

Frans wrote:Question.

I understand the import duty on cars is 30%.
But 30% of what ?
Of the original list price of the manufacturer ?
Or of the current depreciated value ?
Or of the price you paid in case you brought a car second hand ?
And do you pay also 30% of the cost of the sea transport ?
And is this 30% also valid if you going to become resident in Peru ?
And can you ship car to Peru and register it on your name if you still tourist ?

Can somebody please give me some guidance on the official rule(s) if possible

Thanks

hi Frans,
if you are importing a car ointo Peru, you will be paying approx. 30% of the price you have stated on your invoice. if they beleive it to be incorrect, they will adjust it accordingly (their perceived value). you will also pay for an inspection on the vehicle, and also taxes on the shipping! (why?, i dont know) your car cannot be older than 5 years and have 50,000 miles or less. i import to Peru on a regular basis (industrial machines) and always end up paying more taxes in the end! in short, i wouldnt bother with importing a vehicle to Peru.
do some searching in the forums on importing, there is more info to be found.
good luck.
every place has it's own spirit. you just need to tune into it.

Return to “Expat Information”

Login  •  Register