Interpol - changes in processing your info

Answers to your qestions about moving to, and living in, Peru,
Jennifer
Gold Member
Gold Member

Interpol - changes in processing your info

Postby Jennifer » Mon Nov 14, 2011 10:30 am

So, I went to interpol today after doing the paperwork and necessaries for requesting residency.

As per past information on this forum, I expected to be handed a ticket/receipt/document at the end of my interpol visit which I should take to migraciones to complete the steps for residency (through marriage). It had been mentioned that you only have to take this receipt to migraciones and not really send off the info if you didn't want to (for whatever reason).

They now do not give you anything. They send it off themselves - via internet - to your resident country for checking by your local interpol. The results are sent to migraciones in Lima automatically in 5 days and the process continues from there.

fanning
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: Interpol - changes in processing your info

Postby fanning » Mon Nov 14, 2011 11:21 am

To my knowledge it was always like that. You have to go to Interpol, and Interpol informs in the end Migraciones. Whatever check Interpol does, seems to vary from country to country, but the final report from Interpol they themselves inform to Migraciones.
Jennifer
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby Jennifer » Mon Nov 14, 2011 1:12 pm

No, not according to past posts (which typically, i cannot find now).
I read that you should take an A4 envelope with you as they often run out, which interpol put your file/info into and they then give you the pack which you mail yourself.
''You can get your carnet long before the interpol report comes back'' was on the post, which i think one of the moderators had written.
Anyway, it's done now.
Kelly

Postby Kelly » Mon Nov 14, 2011 3:36 pm

If you're a US citizen, there are two things that get done at Interpol - the actual information for Interpol to do their check, and then some papers in an envelope that you're supposed to mail to the FBI for a criminal background check.

The actual Interpol part of it was just a couple days. The FBI results took ... i don't remember, several weeks or maybe even a couple months until I got it back.

If you aren't a US citizen, you won't have to do the mailing part, as far as I am aware.

Jennifer, if you are a US citizen, and didn't do the mailing to the FBI, they may well have changed a part of the process.
tupacperu
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby tupacperu » Mon Nov 14, 2011 4:43 pm

Kelly wrote:If you're a US citizen, there are two things that get done at Interpol - the actual information for Interpol to do their check, and then some papers in an envelope that you're supposed to mail to the FBI for a criminal background check.

The actual Interpol part of it was just a couple days. The FBI results took ... i don't remember, several weeks or maybe even a couple months until I got it back.

If you aren't a US citizen, you won't have to do the mailing part, as far as I am aware.

Jennifer, if you are a US citizen, and didn't do the mailing to the FBI, they may well have changed a part of the process.

This is how it has worked for me , twice (my last 2 CEs).
I brought an envelope and Interpol addressed to the FBI in the USA.
Later I recieved a copy of the response from the FBI in an envelope.
Jennifer
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby Jennifer » Mon Nov 14, 2011 5:14 pm

I'm not from the US, I'm from England.... must be different for different countries then, I guess.
sunflower
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby sunflower » Mon Nov 14, 2011 10:48 pm

Yes it must be different. I'm German and never had to do the envelope part :D

I just went to Interpol, they took all my details and fingerprints, checked my teeth and after around 2 weeks they send their results to DIGEMIN
itsallgood
Silver Member
Silver Member

Postby itsallgood » Tue Nov 15, 2011 6:27 pm

At the risk of looking, well,dumb. Why do they check your teeth?

sunflower wrote:Yes it must be different. I'm German and never had to do the envelope part :D

I just went to Interpol, they took all my details and fingerprints, checked my teeth and after around 2 weeks they send their results to DIGEMIN
sunflower
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby sunflower » Tue Nov 15, 2011 7:57 pm

I honestly don't know; but I assume that in case a gringo turns up dead somewhere in Peru they can identify you!?
itsallgood
Silver Member
Silver Member

Postby itsallgood » Wed Nov 16, 2011 8:08 am

Do they take an imprint of your teeth or something or just look? If they don't do anything other than just look, I find that strange. Perhaps they are checking for technology used for spying. :lol:

sunflower wrote:I honestly don't know; but I assume that in case a gringo turns up dead somewhere in Peru they can identify you!?
Jennifer
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby Jennifer » Wed Nov 16, 2011 10:12 am

The teeth check is done with a dentist there who completes a tooth chart to register missing teeth, if your wisdom teeth have been removed or not and to take details like that.

Yep, I guess its to identify you if you turn up dead...
mateo
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby mateo » Tue Jan 31, 2012 2:31 pm

Just returned from Interpol.

They gave me envelope (pre-addressed) and said to send it to FBI.

Also, they said filing would be done electronically and I should check website with code # to see when/if my case is complete.

Once it is, I am told I can go back to Migracion to get Carnet.

Return to “Expat Information”

Login  •  Register