How safe is San Miguel?

Answers to your qestions about moving to, and living in, Peru,
kuranaga
Silver Member
Silver Member

How safe is San Miguel?

Postby kuranaga » Tue Nov 15, 2011 3:03 am

Hi people,

I'm new here. I plan a visit to Lima and have offers for renting flats in Lima, but I do not know how safe are these places. While I know already South American cities (Brasil, Uruguay), I've never been before to Peru.
Can someone tell me about the district of San Miguel, is it safe? (blocks close to the coast line, not the back). How does it compare to Miraflores in terms of security and comfort?

Thanks!

sbaustin
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: How safe is San Miguel?

Postby sbaustin » Tue Nov 15, 2011 12:26 pm

There are some really horrible streets between La Marina and the coastline in San Miguel. One time we were driving through there at night and there were some gang fights on the street.. I kid you not we had to turn around b/c there were probably 100 people on the street fighting. Compared to MF, it probably wouldn't compare.
kuranaga
Silver Member
Silver Member

Postby kuranaga » Tue Nov 15, 2011 1:03 pm

Hm...

so you say I could be killed there, especially by night :evil:

may I ask how does compare Chorillos, if somebody knows?
I know things in South America, just never have been to Peru...
Alpineprince
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby Alpineprince » Tue Nov 15, 2011 3:41 pm

Along the coast is a major drug area! I would stay closer to La Marina or on the other side as well.
renodante
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby renodante » Tue Nov 15, 2011 4:30 pm

i lived on faucett for about 5 months. it wasn't super dangerous, mostly working class people, i never felt afraid. but it was dirty and noisy and generally ugly. and as others have said, around the coast is straight up ghetto. thugs on the street all the time who are most likely dealers, etc.

compared to miraflores it's like the south bronx compared to the upper west side.
sbaustin
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby sbaustin » Tue Nov 15, 2011 4:42 pm

I was just commenting on the area close to the malecon. The areas around La Marina by Metro, the zoo, Plaza San Miguel are all fine but nothing close to MF as others have pointed out.. It really probably depends on your comfort level.
KenBE
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby KenBE » Sat Nov 19, 2011 8:06 pm

kuranaga wrote:Hi people,

I'm new here. I plan a visit to Lima and have offers for renting flats in Lima, but I do not know how safe are these places. While I know already South American cities (Brasil, Uruguay), I've never been before to Peru.
Can someone tell me about the district of San Miguel, is it safe? (blocks close to the coast line, not the back). How does it compare to Miraflores in terms of security and comfort?

Thanks!

I don't know about the area near the coast, but I always stay in San Miguel when I am in Lima and I feel quite safe there. It is a middle class area, with a shopping mall, fast food restaurants, etc. Still, this is Peru, so you always have to be careful, even in the nicer areas (thieves are everywhere).

Compared to Miraflores it is a lot less modern and developed, but still nice. It is similar to the better areas of smaller cities like Trujillo or Chiclayo.
tupacperu
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby tupacperu » Sun Nov 20, 2011 3:08 am

San Miguel is not a bad place to live. Has a high end Mall, Plaza San Miguel and some nice apartments.
You have to remember that thieves go where they can score and that is usually in highend neighborhoods. Lived in San Miguel, Pueblo Libre and Magdelena, had no problems. Had more problems whe we lived in Miraflores. So, safe is relative, wrong place at the wrong time.
jude
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby jude » Sun Nov 20, 2011 4:52 pm

Are you a man or a woman? I think it makes a difference in how safe and comfortable you'll feel walking around. Women are considered easier targets for theft. There's also more street harassment in San Miguel than Miraflores.
falconagain
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby falconagain » Mon Nov 21, 2011 10:01 am

San Miguel has bad areas, so it really depends on where in that district you chose to live.
No local will try to live close to La Paz as this is a high crime area. Also there is certain
parts that are close to Callao where you should not go. Just keep yourself alert all the time.
Even walking through La Marina after midnight is considered dangerous nowadays, some
restaurants tried to stay open until 2 or 3 am to get more business, but they got assaulted
so now they close at midnight as usual. Anyway safety is relative, you cannot have guarantees
everywhere.
Lloyd007
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby Lloyd007 » Mon Nov 21, 2011 3:51 pm

San Miguel is a great area with lots of shops and things to do. Do check it out and get to know the area. There are some definite don't go spots and also some crime hot spots, but being sensible you could have a very good stay and not pay a lot for it. I think it really depends what you're looking for.
viernes
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby viernes » Tue Nov 22, 2011 11:21 am

something to think about...? How is your spanish? can you blend in? not to be racist or anything, but are you white? San Miguel has really nice areas, but just like anywhere in Lima, stray a little bit, and you can find yourself in a not so nice area. As others have mentioned, be careful, pay attention to your surroundings, and make friends.

But It helps to blend in...

Return to “Expat Information”

Login  •  Register