Which stove oven should I buy?

Answers to your qestions about moving to, and living in, Peru,
monsulim
Silver Member
Silver Member

Which stove oven should I buy?

Postby monsulim » Tue Dec 06, 2011 2:33 pm

I want to buy a stove oven, but don't know which brand I should go for. Most people tell me that Bosch is the best (but might be out of my price range). The next best option is Mabe, I'm told. What do you guys say? How are Indurama, Coldex, Electrolux, etc.? I'm not a big baker, but would like to bake the occasional turkey and birthday cakes.

sunflower
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: Which stove oven should I buy?

Postby sunflower » Tue Dec 06, 2011 4:51 pm

I can't recommend a brand, even though Bosch is quite surely on the high end. But I would like to advise against buying a Mabe product. I bought a Mabe stove three years ago. After the first few cleanings the "chrome color" coating came off the girds and nozzles (not sure if these are the correct words). Then the labeling of buttons just disappeared. After a while the white got yellow (which I really dislike) and the inside of the oven is hard to clean without destroying the coating. Once this is gone, the oven starts rusting. Now the nozzles (there were the fire comes out) are rotting and the flames are getting smaller and smaller. All in all the price reflects the quality. Additionally I was stupid enough to buy a fridge from Mabe at the same time. In the three years I have it, I had to call the technician 6 times. Not very convenient when you have to wait for him 3 or 4 days just to hear that he has to come back in 2 or 3 days because he hasn't got the spare part with him. I think every part that can break, broke. I was lucky having a 3 years warranty. When it breaks again I surely will buy anything but Mabe.
chi chi
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby chi chi » Tue Dec 06, 2011 5:32 pm

I bought an INDURAMA (model Barcelona) 2 years ago.

Works fine, easy to clean. Never had any problems.
Bosch is expensive but no neccesarily better. Often you pay for the name.

I advise against buying the cheapest ones. In Tottus they sell stoves from only 270 soles. But they won't last long.
meggyrosey
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby meggyrosey » Tue Dec 06, 2011 7:13 pm

I think you should go to Sodimac or Ripley and check out the options that they have...I purchased a Whirlpool built in Electric Stove and could not be happier
Omikron
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby Omikron » Tue Dec 06, 2011 7:57 pm

I have a gas stove, but since I do not use its oven I don't really care about it.
Keep one thing in mind with gas stoves though: make sure you do not need a match to start it, based on the following thread viewtopic.php?f=1&t=14646&p=87538&hilit=stove#p87538

My dad does use his oven often so he bought an electrical BOSCH oven. When I asked him why he bought an electrical one when gas starts faster and is cheaper, he said that with electrical ones, he achieves an even heat and better broiling. His stoves are gas operated though, he bought both parts separately.

BOSCH is located in Monterrico, Surco: Av. El Polo 869 - Urb. El Derby - Surco

Sunflower: regarding the correct word, I've read it is described as "burner".
sunflower
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby sunflower » Wed Dec 07, 2011 9:03 am

Omikron wrote:Sunflower: regarding the correct word, I've read it is described as "burner".

Thanks Omikron. Once in a while it's so apparent how bad my English is. Sorry.
Omikron
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby Omikron » Wed Dec 07, 2011 10:27 am

sunflower wrote:
Omikron wrote:Sunflower: regarding the correct word, I've read it is described as "burner".

Thanks Omikron. Once in a while it's so apparent how bad my English is. Sorry.

Sunflower, you say it as if I was a stove expert ..I just read it somewhere while trying to find the model of the oven my dad owns :P so until yesterday, I didn't know how to call it either, but yeah, in Spanish we call it "quemador"
UKSarah

Postby UKSarah » Thu Dec 08, 2011 10:04 am

My flat has a Coldex stove. Now, I don't know if these things are common to all stoves that run on bottled gas, or to all stoves in Peru but the things that I find annoying with it are:
- no grill
- there is only one shelf in the oven and it comes out automatically when you open the oven door. This means that you can't cook more than one thing at a time very easily and maximise the use of the oven when it's on eg put slow cooking things at the bottom and faster things like biscuits at the top.
- I think the thermometer is inaccurate so I have to guess what temperature to cook things on

I have no idea how old it is or how much it's been used in the past but its condition is quite good, things seem to work OK ie no major problems so far and the hob is fine.
Kelly

Postby Kelly » Thu Dec 08, 2011 1:23 pm

Those things aren't common to "all" gas stove/ovens - but they ARE common to the cheap ones. :) I've got pretty much the same thing.
koplinfamilia
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby koplinfamilia » Thu Dec 08, 2011 9:42 pm

I would recomend buying a brand such as Bosch or Whirlpool, I wish I had. I bought a INDURAMA made stove, looked pretty decent but after a year it is begining to show it's wear. I wish I had paid more in the begining and bough a good quality stove, you can actually find some good prices if you go to the Whirlpool store on Benevides. I think I am going to try and sell mine and get something I know will last me at least five years... that is my take anyway.
Integrity Tourism & Transportation
ENTEL 985 059 944
RPM #949 811 404
USA Direct Line (585) 861-3106
http://www.integritytourism.com
americorps
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby americorps » Thu Dec 08, 2011 9:49 pm

A little off topic, but new construction in San Borja is requiring all houses and apartments be equipped with a natural gas line. I just found this out a few days ago, but no one could tell me when they might actually be supplying natural gas as a utility.

Return to “Expat Information”

Login  •  Register