Single Father traveling with my son to Peru

Answers to your qestions about moving to, and living in, Peru,
jamesharr

Single Father traveling with my son to Peru

Postby jamesharr » Sun Dec 11, 2011 4:27 am

Hello Everyone,

My name is James. I am single father who is traveling to Peru for a 2 week vacation with my son who is 7yrs old and my Peruvian girlfriend. I have heard of single parents not being allowed to enter Peru because the other parent did not authorize the child to travel ? I have physical custody of my son and I was wondering will I have any issues getting past customs or immigration with my son and my girlfriend ? Does anyone have any experience, dealing with this type of situation. I look forward to any advise anyone might have on this topic...
Thanks
James

KateW
Silver Member
Silver Member

Re: Single Father traveling with my son to Peru

Postby KateW » Sun Dec 11, 2011 8:49 pm

Hi there daddy!

I'm not sure what the situation in entering Peru with only one parent. I'm married to a Peruvian and have traveled various times with only my son and was required to that a notarized letter specifying my permission to leave the country with my son. I don't know if the same would be required of a foreigner, but if you can get a letter from the mom with both your notarized signatures, I'd say you'd be better safe than sorry. If that's not an option for you, you could try calling the closest Peruvian Consulate in your country to ask that specific question... Good luck and have a great trip!

Kate
jamesharr

Postby jamesharr » Mon Dec 12, 2011 12:05 am

Thanks Kate for the information....I will take your advice and run with it.... :D
inscop
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby inscop » Wed Dec 14, 2011 12:41 pm

I would second the advice given regarding the notarized letter, but I would go one step further and have it translated into Spanish on the same page if possible, and see if you can get it certified by the consulate prior to departure. That would pretty much guarantee a trouble free trip.
jamesharr

Postby jamesharr » Wed Dec 14, 2011 3:20 pm

Thanks for the information, I just got in contact with the Peruvian Consulate over here in Hawaii.

James
Kelly

Postby Kelly » Wed Dec 14, 2011 8:20 pm

The problem isn't, I think so much entering Peru as it is leaving on an international flight. I don't believe they'll let you board an Int'l flight from the US if you don't have the notarized letter from the other parent.
rama0929
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby rama0929 » Thu Dec 15, 2011 6:33 pm

Kelly wrote:The problem isn't, I think so much entering Peru as it is leaving on an international flight. I don't believe they'll let you board an Int'l flight from the US if you don't have the notarized letter from the other parent.

Given the number of child trafficking signs I've seen at the airport, I'm not surprised.
jude
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby jude » Fri Dec 16, 2011 9:24 pm

Kelly wrote:The problem isn't, I think so much entering Peru as it is leaving on an international flight. I don't believe they'll let you board an Int'l flight from the US if you don't have the notarized letter from the other parent.

And a good thing too. Nasty custody fights can result in parental kidnappings, so it should be difficult for one parent to take a child out of the country without the other parent's blessing.
pingouin59
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby pingouin59 » Sat Jun 30, 2012 6:56 am

We have just been confronted by the same issue yesterday. my wife Peruvian, my son french and peruvian citizen were ready to board the plane for France and I was anxiously waiting for their arrival. I moved one month earlier to arrange all the many relocation details. I called the family to see if they had left OK when I was thunderstruck to hear my wife tell me that Enzo our son had been denied crossing the border because he didn't have my parenatl authorization- You can imagine how both of us were disappointed. I should have thought of that. I guess I'll call the Peruvian Consulate in Paris first thing on Monday and I suppose I'll have to submit a letter and have it sealed by the consulate before sending it to my wife. She told me that she would need to go to Relacion exteriores to have it legalized. Shouldn' t be too long and hoppefully I' ll be able to hug them within a week or two. if you know any update about the way to do these kind of paper work , let me know

regards

Gerard
Chucky
Silver Member
Silver Member

Postby Chucky » Sat Jun 30, 2012 8:10 pm

Went through all of this a few months back. The whole issue turns on the citizenship of the child. Mine has both Peruvian and U.S. citizenship and lives in Peru. In that case, to leave Peru he had to use his Peruvian passport and required that I have a notarized letter of consent from a Peruvian consulate in the U.S. My girlfriend then had to have the document legalized in Peru after I FedEx'd it to her. But it appears you are facing a different issue. Because your child will be visiting Peru, he will use his U.S. passport to enter and leave. When you leave Peru, you will simply need a notarized letter from his mother. As an earlier response advised, have it translated into Spanish. Good Luck!
JanD
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby JanD » Sun Jul 01, 2012 1:04 am

Oops :oops: !
We must have been lucky then.
Back in 2004 we travelled from The Netherlands/Belgium to Peru: three children, Peruvian/Dutch nationality, one daughter, Dutch nationality, all of them minor of age.
My wife has the authority of all her three children (although I don't recall that we took those documents with us), but I did not have any written consent from my ex-wife.
However no-one ever asked anything, so maybe it was different in those days, or we were just lucky.

Will will however travel on Sept. 7th to Peru. Our daughter (originally Peruvian) will accompany us. When leaving The Netherlands, she is still under eighteen, she will become eighteen in Peru, just a couple of days before returning to The Netherlands (she wants to go back to The Netherlands, rather than building her future in Peru :cry: ).
I hope that leaving The Netherlands will be no problem?
Returning on her own to The Netherlands certainly not, I expect, as she is eighteen then.....
Kelly

Postby Kelly » Sun Jul 01, 2012 3:24 am

If you were traveling with 2 adults, they may have just assumed you were the parents of all the children and didn't need any other approval. Who knows...
pingouin59
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby pingouin59 » Sun Jul 01, 2012 3:54 am

What documents did you have to submit in order to get the letter of consent?
fanning
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby fanning » Sun Jul 01, 2012 7:39 am

If you entered Peru ( and also the children ) as foreign tourists, then there is not such a requirement when leaving Peru. But if the child enters as a Peruvian then the standard rules will apply. Also by the way if the foreigners are not tourists but residents.
And offcourse it applies to minor children, not to adults.
Chucky
Silver Member
Silver Member

Postby Chucky » Sun Jul 01, 2012 10:52 pm

pingouin59 wrote:What documents did you have to submit in order to get the letter of consent?

You'll need the child's birth certificate (they request an original but I used a good copy) as well as the Peruvian passport and DNI numbers of both your child and wife. The cost is $20 US. And although not required, I brought my DNA results which they appreciated as I think it just removed any doubt that they might have had. Go to the website of the consulate in your area and it should confirm what I just told you. Good luck.
Chucky
Silver Member
Silver Member

Postby Chucky » Sun Jul 01, 2012 10:57 pm

Chucky wrote:
pingouin59 wrote:What documents did you have to submit in order to get the letter of consent?

You'll need the child's birth certificate (they request an original but I used a good copy) as well as the Peruvian passport and DNI numbers of both your child and wife. The cost is $20 US. And although not required, I brought my DNA results which they appreciated as I think it just removed any doubt that they might have had. Go to the website of the consulate in your area and it should confirm what I just told you. Good luck.

One more thing, you'll need all of the flight information as well. The letter of consent is only valid for 30 days so make sure you get the original to your wife in a timely manner.

Return to “Expat Information”

Login  •  Register