Terrorism in Peru... still

Answers to your qestions about moving to, and living in, Peru,
rama0929
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: Terrorism in Peru... still

Postby rama0929 » Fri Dec 23, 2011 7:28 pm

mateo wrote:forget the terrorists.

if one more old lady steps in front of me while standing in line somewhere i'm gonna hit her.

and whats with running up to the altar for communion??? afraid the church is gonna run out of hosts???

wtf.

She's afraid she's going to die before she would receive it; you did say she was old, didn't you? :wink:

teamoperu
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby teamoperu » Sat Dec 24, 2011 1:46 pm

chi chi wrote:Old people, disabled people, pregnant woman and people with small children have the right of 'attention preferido' according to Peruvian law.

Except when crossing the street... :D
mateo
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby mateo » Sat Dec 24, 2011 3:51 pm

oh.
if its a LAW...then i am ok with it.
i mean, i dont necessarily agree with it; jerks dont get preferred treatment in my book no matter who they are.

but if its the ACTUAL LAW, as someone just told me, then ok. i understand.
i will follow the LAW.

but if it's just a CUSTOM and everybodyjust assumes that i follow the trend wherever i go, then they're gonna be surprised one day.
chi chi
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby chi chi » Sat Dec 24, 2011 4:04 pm

mateo wrote: jerkss dont get preferred treatment in my book no matter who they are.
but if it's just a CUSTOM and every fat old ***** just assumes that i follow the trend wherever i go, then they're gonna be surprised one day.

Mateo, we are talking about disabled people, old people and pregnant woman. The cannot stand in line for a long time in the bank or other places.

So, they get attention preferido and that's fair. Those people already face enough challenges in for us normal daily activities.
mateo
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby mateo » Sat Dec 24, 2011 4:36 pm

Well, chi chi, thanks.

But Im talking about something I mentioned about old women...not cripples, nor pregnant women.

The problem is not that a feeble old woman gets to the head of the line before me.

The problem is that I see 50/60-something women with attitudes doing whatever they feel they deserve, and doing it with no regard for anyone else.

A little old lady with a cane is not my idea of a problem. I'd be happy to pick her up and carry her if she wanted.
Last edited by mateo on Thu Jan 05, 2012 1:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
chi chi
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby chi chi » Sat Dec 24, 2011 5:03 pm

mateo wrote:Well, chi chi, thanks.

The problem is not that a feeble old woman gets to the head of the line before me.

The problem is that I see 50/60-something women with attitudes doing whatever they feel they deserve, and doing it with no regard for anyone else.

A little old lady with a cane is not my idea of a problem. I'd be happy to pick her up and carry her if she wanted.

It's right that people misuse the attention preferido but it's only a small number.

The wheelchair service in airport in the US is also popular with some people as it's the only way to avoid the long lines at US immigration.

I flew to Washington in August. An around 60 year old woman bumped into me, pushed me aside at Lima airport duty free shop as she was rushing to be able to buy duty free before the flight.
The samen woman was sitting at the same row as me at the window seat. I sat at the aisle seat. At least 7 times, she woke me up as she wanted to go to the toilet. Although the toilet was at the other side of the aircraft, she was always back in minutes.

...upon arrival in Dulles airport, I left the aircraft before her. But saw her in a wheelchair passing US immigration. Whilst I was standing for 2 hours in line to get my passport stamped.
Nomada

Postby Nomada » Sat Dec 24, 2011 8:15 pm

Mateo, I hope that when you get to be 50 or 60 something years old you remember your insensitive and ageist remark, but then you will never be a woman.

As a woman in that age range who has endured endless rudeness and being pushed aside by punks both male and female in Peru, I resent your remark as you cannot tell by looking at me that I am often in a lot of pain, even when I am not using my cane.

Peruvians nominally, and that is the operative word, respect their elders and older women are often called "madre" by total strangers. Since women basically are considered totally useless once they are past the age of being sexual objects in Peru, that is the only form of respect available. Older women cannot get jobs, they are totally ignored by men 20 years their senior, and so on, to a degree that does not occurin the U.S.

Maybe you might try to imagine what it is like to not be an able-bodied young male in a country that is totally sexist, incredibly rude and more. Or maybe you might think about how you would feel if the woman in question was your mother.
mateo
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby mateo » Sun Dec 25, 2011 2:17 pm

if the women in question were my mother, and she was being pushy , i'd tell her to cool it.

you too.
jvimage
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby jvimage » Fri Dec 30, 2011 8:34 pm

chi chi wrote:
mateo wrote:Well, chi chi, thanks.

It's right that people misuse the attention preferido but it's only a small number.

The wheelchair service in airport in the US is also popular with some people as it's the only way to avoid the long lines at US immigration.

I flew to Washington in August. An around 60 year old woman bumped into me, pushed me aside at Lima airport duty free shop as she was rushing to be able to buy duty free before the flight.
The samen woman was sitting at the same row as me at the window seat. I sat at the aisle seat. At least 7 times, she woke me up as she wanted to go to the toilet. Although the toilet was at the other side of the aircraft, she was always back in minutes.

...upon arrival in Dulles airport, I left the aircraft before her. But saw her in a wheelchair passing US immigration. Whilst I was standing for 2 hours in line to get my passport stamped.

Flying back to Peru on a connecting flight from the US; be it Miami, Orlando, Newark, Atlanta, or wherever, you can always tell you've almost arrived in Lima when the airline starts calling rows and the whole flight piles-up forward in 15 seconds or less, cutting in line, bumping & shoving with total disregard for any kind of order. I’ve never figured out what’s the angst and hurry if you already have a seat assigned. Ignorant-ornery chaos has to be the official the Peruvian national pastime.
be as you are
chi chi
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby chi chi » Fri Dec 30, 2011 9:03 pm

[quote="[/quote]

Flying back to Peru on a connecting flight from the US; be it Miami, Orlando, Newark, Atlanta, or wherever, you can always tell you've almost arrived in Lima when the airline starts calling rows and the whole flight piles-up forward in 15 seconds or less, cutting in line, bumping & shoving with total disregard for any kind of order. I’ve never figured out what’s the angst and hurry if you already have a seat assigned. Ignorant-ornery chaos has to be the official the Peruvian national pastime.[/quote]

I always check in as late as possible. Most airlines overbook their flights as there are always no shows.
Economy class is almost always overbooked. Business and first class not. So, most of the times I fly I get upgraded as economy class is overbooked.
And if I don't get an upgrade then I show my flight-attendants ID and ask friendly if I can get an upgrade. And that gets me an upgrade in 99% of the cases.) I still have my ID's from 2 of the airlines I worked for.

Be patient and you'll be rewarded is my slogan.
JGrizzle
Silver Member
Silver Member

Postby JGrizzle » Fri Dec 30, 2011 9:27 pm

In regards to the 'attention preferido' thing, i seem to find that in the supermarkets i'm the only one who seems to get called up on it when god forbid theres no one in line at one so i try to use, even as far as them telling me i can't use it, then when my girlfriend asks me why i'm changing checkouts, i explain and she returns with me to the same one, and they proceed to serve me!

Also, on the metropolitano, me and my girlfriend rushed on to the 'front car' so to speak of one of the buses, to see the whole of one side was red seated, for 'attention preferido' or whatever, so we both took singular seats on the other side (by which i mean instead of the usual two seats per row, this had two red seats on one side, and rows of just 1 seat on the other). As the carriage got inevitably packed, a young coupled entered, the woman carrying a child with her, and after about a minute, a man decided to overlook everyone else in the carriage, including a woman sat on a seat right where the male of this couple was standing, and asked me if i was going to give up my seat. My girlfriend simply replied that he should ask the people in the red seats.
The optimist in me is thinking that he thought i maybe looked younger than the rest of the people sat down, but the pessimist in me is thinking that he thought the gringo would just roll over.
Anyway rant over

Return to “Expat Information”

Login  •  Register