Round Trip...or One-Way???

Answers to your qestions about moving to, and living in, Peru,
mateo
Gold Member
Gold Member
Posts: 100
Joined: Fri Oct 07, 2011 2:24 pm

Round Trip...or One-Way???

Postby mateo » Sun Jan 08, 2012 3:34 pm

Still confused about this.

Can a simple tourist board a Peru-bound plane in a US city with only a one-way ticket???

I have heard that the answer is NO.

If not, how come???


User avatar
chi chi
Gold Member
Gold Member
Posts: 6060
Joined: Tue Dec 06, 2011 5:28 pm
Location: Granada, Andalusia

Re: Round Trip...or One-Way???

Postby chi chi » Sun Jan 08, 2012 4:10 pm

mateo wrote:Still confused about this.

Can a simple tourist board a Peru-bound plane in a US city with only a one-way ticket???

I have heard that the answer is NO.

If not, how come???


It depends of the airline and probably the country where you fly from.

From the US, I think you need a return ticket because when you fly TO the US, you need a return ticket too.

In August I flew from Lima to Washington DC. When I arrived in Washington, US immigration asked for my return ticket and asked why I came to the US and where I was staying. They asked where I worked and how much money I got on me before they gave me 90 day stamp.

When flying back to Lima, TACA asked for my return ticket or a ticket to leave Peru later on. But I didn't have one.

But I showed my Peruvian driving licence. (They accidently putted by nationalidad 'Peruvian' on my driving licence when I got it.) So, I told the girl at check in that I have double nationality. She showed my licence to her supervisor and he said that's OK.
I am sure that I could otherwise had to buy an onward ticket.

But when arriving in Peru, I've never been asked for a return ticket or onward ticket.

I suggest you buy a one way ticket. But get also a printed reservation for an onward ticket.
User avatar
americorps
Gold Member
Gold Member
Posts: 3841
Joined: Tue Dec 12, 2006 4:16 pm
Location: Lima

Re: Round Trip...or One-Way???

Postby americorps » Sun Jan 08, 2012 6:38 pm

Please be advised that Chi Chi often provides incorrect information, his advice should be taken with a grain of salt,

In this case, his advice is so far off the mark it could cause people great problems.

The REAL answer is that you do NOT have to have a round trip ticket to come to Peru, but you have to demonstrate ONWARD passage. So, you do not need to buy a round trip, but you need a ticket to leave the country.

The law is just that and the airlines can be fined by Peru and also be responsible for returning you to your point of origin if they let you here without onward passage.

Now, the interesting part is that law has, in recent times, has almost NEVER been actually enforced by Peruvian immigrations, though it can be. It is more likely to be enforced by the airline. Now comes the trick. The airlines usually try to use it to try and force you to buy a round trip ticket and do not tell you that you have other options.

Here are your other options.

1. Purchase a refundable return ticket
2. Have a verified ticket from Peru to another country.
3. Get a reservation with a tourism or bus agency for a bus (or boat) from Peru to another country. For example, a ticket from Tacna Peru to Arica Chile is quite affordable and cheap.

And my final bit of advice, do not confuse Chi Chi's posts for real life experience or factual, sometimes they are, sometimes they are not
User avatar
americorps
Gold Member
Gold Member
Posts: 3841
Joined: Tue Dec 12, 2006 4:16 pm
Location: Lima

Re: Round Trip...or One-Way???

Postby americorps » Sun Jan 08, 2012 6:47 pm

A reservation for an onward ticket is often accepted, though they are not required to accept it so will generally be ok.

Sometimes they do not even ask for the onward passage.

However, to use that option is taking a gamble, so you should know that.

It is common for most countries, including the USA to demand onward passage for tourist visas.
goingnowherefast

Re: Round Trip...or One-Way???

Postby goingnowherefast » Sun Jan 08, 2012 8:57 pm

I fly frequently back and forth between South America and the States and 9/10 I have had to provide proof of onward travel when flying from USA to south america. Airlines I know require it from personal experience are Delta, American and Copa, but it seems that only in recent months have they been enforcing it. Copa will even accept a bus ticket as proof. It's best to look on the airline's site or call them.
renodante
Gold Member
Gold Member
Posts: 1228
Joined: Thu Oct 14, 2010 12:44 pm
Location: miraflores

Re: Round Trip...or One-Way???

Postby renodante » Sun Jan 08, 2012 11:25 pm

americorps wrote:Please be advised that Chi Chi often provides incorrect information, his advice should be taken with a grain of salt,

In this case, his advice is so far off the mark it could cause people great problems.

The REAL answer is that you do NOT have to have a round trip ticket to come to Peru, but you have to demonstrate ONWARD passage. So, you do not need to buy a round trip, but you need a ticket to leave the country.

The law is just that and the airlines can be fined by Peru and also be responsible for returning you to your point of origin if they let you here without onward passage.

Now, the interesting part is that law has, in recent times, has almost NEVER been actually enforced by Peruvian immigrations, though it can be. It is more likely to be enforced by the airline. Now comes the trick. The airlines usually try to use it to try and force you to buy a round trip ticket and do not tell you that you have other options.

Here are your other options.

1. Purchase a refundable return ticket
2. Have a verified ticket from Peru to another country.
3. Get a reservation with a tourism or bus agency for a bus (or boat) from Peru to another country. For example, a ticket from Tacna Peru to Arica Chile is quite affordable and cheap.

And my final bit of advice, do not confuse Chi Chi's posts for real life experience or factual, sometimes they are, sometimes they are not


I am Renodante, and I approve this message.

I've done the refundable ticket thing, to me if you have no immediate travel plans and some extra cash you can let go of for a few days before getting your money back, this is the easiest route. It's all about the airlines policy, I think by now all of them have that policy but there may be one or two that will let you go without proof of onward travel. Spirit used to let you, now they don't. And yeah, peruvians customs doesn't care and never checks, it's an airlines CYA thing b/c they're the one's responsible to fly you back on their dime if customs somewhere sends you back home.
User avatar
JanD
Gold Member
Gold Member
Posts: 325
Joined: Thu Apr 24, 2008 6:12 am
Location: Miraflores/Lima

Re: Round Trip...or One-Way???

Postby JanD » Mon Jan 09, 2012 5:23 am

But, why should you buy a single ticket instead of a return ticket: I have the impression that one-way tickets are (hard or not to explain) far more expensive than return tickets.
And how can you see wether a ticket (at least the return leg) of a ticket is refundable?
renodante
Gold Member
Gold Member
Posts: 1228
Joined: Thu Oct 14, 2010 12:44 pm
Location: miraflores

Re: Round Trip...or One-Way???

Postby renodante » Mon Jan 09, 2012 6:36 am

JanD wrote:But, why should you buy a single ticket instead of a return ticket: I have the impression that one-way tickets are (hard or not to explain) far more expensive than return tickets.
And how can you see wether a ticket (at least the return leg) of a ticket is refundable?


some people don't know how long they'll be here, and usually round trips aren't refundable. that was my deal, didn't know if it would be 6 months or 6 years.
koplinfamilia
Gold Member
Gold Member
Posts: 313
Joined: Tue Feb 17, 2009 11:00 am
Location: Lima, PE
Contact:

Re: Round Trip...or One-Way???

Postby koplinfamilia » Mon Jan 09, 2012 6:45 am

My family and I came down about a year ago on one-way tickets from New York with Aero-Mexico and we didn't have a problem nor did my my father when he came down two months ago. In both cases it was at least half the price of a round trip ticket, in ours I would say it was 60% less so it was to our advantage all around to buy one-way versus round trip. I will add that sometimes one-ways are hard to find at a good price, often the same as a round trip. I searched and searched and if possible, try to fly from JFK as it is overall the cheapest airport. If you can find an inexpensive connecting flight there from your city, this from all my experience looking for tickets proves to be the best city to depart from. I am not sure why but even Miami is always more expensive.

I would also agree with Americorps procedures, it is best to have some kind of onward passage to be sure. If you really want to come down on a one-way then I suggest Aero-Mexico as so far they have offered great prices and no hassle with regard to this issue but that is not to say as some have that they have not changed their policy since we came down.

Good Luck.
Integrity Tourism & Transportation
ENTEL 985 059 944
RPM #949 811 404
USA Direct Line (585) 861-3106
http://www.integritytourism.com
two jacks
Member
Member
Posts: 9
Joined: Tue Nov 29, 2011 3:17 pm

Re: Round Trip...or One-Way???

Postby two jacks » Mon Jan 09, 2012 8:40 am

Kevin you wise, young, sage :D , a question, if I have a work visa for Colombia can I fly there on a way ticket from Peru? Gracias.
User avatar
chi chi
Gold Member
Gold Member
Posts: 6060
Joined: Tue Dec 06, 2011 5:28 pm
Location: Granada, Andalusia

Re: Round Trip...or One-Way???

Postby chi chi » Mon Jan 09, 2012 12:07 pm

americorps wrote:Please be advised that Chi Chi often provides incorrect information, his advice should be taken with a grain of salt,
In this case, his advice is so far off the mark it could cause people great problems.
And my final bit of advice, do not confuse Chi Chi's posts for real life experience or factual, sometimes they are, sometimes they are not


Americorps, I have 12 years experience in the airline business. Attended many aviation related courses. I know the business inside out.
The only posts that you write are negative posts about me. You are behaving like everything you write is right and everything what everyone else writes is wrong.
User avatar
chi chi
Gold Member
Gold Member
Posts: 6060
Joined: Tue Dec 06, 2011 5:28 pm
Location: Granada, Andalusia

Re: Round Trip...or One-Way???

Postby chi chi » Mon Jan 09, 2012 12:14 pm

3 years ago, I flew to Lima with a one way ticket from Amsterdam. Before doing this, I consulted the Peruvian consulate in Brussels. They gave me an official letter that I could show to the airline in case of problems. The letter stated that a return ticket isn't required but you must have enough funds to pay for your stay in Peru and enough money to pay for your passage to leave the country.

When I flew with TACA from Washington DC in August, I was asked by TACA to show a return or onward ticket to leave Peru later on.

Same thing when you fly to the US. US immigration always asks to see your return ticket as prove that you will leave the US within the maximum stay of 90 days. You can go to the US with a one way ticket but then you need a green card.
mateo
Gold Member
Gold Member
Posts: 100
Joined: Fri Oct 07, 2011 2:24 pm

Re: Round Trip...or One-Way???

Postby mateo » Mon Jan 09, 2012 1:47 pm

So what happens if some regular American tourist enters his hometown airport with his passport, a one-way ticket to Peru...and nothing else (well, except luggage)?

What happens?
User avatar
sbaustin
Gold Member
Gold Member
Posts: 2057
Joined: Sun Sep 10, 2006 1:46 pm
Location: Peru
Contact:

Re: Round Trip...or One-Way???

Postby sbaustin » Mon Jan 09, 2012 2:05 pm

Anyone who searches this forum will find examples of people flying on one way tickets as well as other people having issues and having to purchase a ticket in the airport. It is a crap shoot and depends on if YOU want to roll the dice. Anything else in this thread is just a waste of time to read.
trevor33
Gold Member
Gold Member
Posts: 168
Joined: Thu Jan 17, 2008 5:03 pm

Re: Round Trip...or One-Way???

Postby trevor33 » Mon Jan 09, 2012 2:16 pm

sbaustin wrote:Anyone who searches this forum will find examples of people flying on one way tickets as well as other people having issues and having to purchase a ticket in the airport. It is a crap shoot and depends on if YOU want to roll the dice. Anything else in this thread is just a waste of time to read.


Yeah, forget about calling the airline asking for their official policy regarding one way tickets, forget about asking for a reference to that phone call... it's all just a waste of time. :roll:
User avatar
sbaustin
Gold Member
Gold Member
Posts: 2057
Joined: Sun Sep 10, 2006 1:46 pm
Location: Peru
Contact:

Re: Round Trip...or One-Way???

Postby sbaustin » Mon Jan 09, 2012 3:20 pm

Trevor33, relying on this public forum for advice on airline and immigration policy isn't very wise. The airlines and immigrations will do what they do. As mentioned you can search the forum and see all kinds of situations have happened to all kinds of people so to my original point, it really doesn't matter what we write here. To your point which is entirely obvious, call immigrations, the peruvian embassy, and the airlines. As pointed out in my prior thread it is a risk entering without some kind of onward ticket.
trevor33
Gold Member
Gold Member
Posts: 168
Joined: Thu Jan 17, 2008 5:03 pm

Re: Round Trip...or One-Way???

Postby trevor33 » Mon Jan 09, 2012 3:54 pm

sbaustin wrote:Trevor33, relying on this public forum for advice on airline and immigration policy isn't very wise. The airlines and immigrations will do what they do. As mentioned you can search the forum and see all kinds of situations have happened to all kinds of people so to my original point, it really doesn't matter what we write here. To your point which is entirely obvious, call immigrations, the peruvian embassy, and the airlines. As pointed out in my prior thread it is a risk entering without some kind of onward ticket.


If my post is entirely obvious why do people continue to ask the same question over and over regarding this matter? You've been about as useless as a flee in this thread, the fact is each airline will have their own official policy on the matter, contact them, get that official policy and if they say you don't need proof of onward travel get the name of the rep you spoke to and a reference for the phone call. It has nothing to do with immigration or the Peruvian embassy, the only time you might be asked for an onward ticket in by the airline before you board the flight. Still think it's a crap shoot?
User avatar
sbaustin
Gold Member
Gold Member
Posts: 2057
Joined: Sun Sep 10, 2006 1:46 pm
Location: Peru
Contact:

Re: Round Trip...or One-Way???

Postby sbaustin » Mon Jan 09, 2012 4:01 pm

trevor33 wrote:
sbaustin wrote:Trevor33, relying on this public forum for advice on airline and immigration policy isn't very wise. The airlines and immigrations will do what they do. As mentioned you can search the forum and see all kinds of situations have happened to all kinds of people so to my original point, it really doesn't matter what we write here. To your point which is entirely obvious, call immigrations, the peruvian embassy, and the airlines. As pointed out in my prior thread it is a risk entering without some kind of onward ticket.


If my post is entirely obvious why do people continue to ask the same question over and over regarding this matter? You've been about as useless as a flee in this thread, the fact is each airline will have their own official policy on the matter, contact them, get that official policy and if they say you don't need proof of onward travel get the name of the rep you spoke to and a reference for the phone call. It has nothing to do with immigration or the Peruvian embassy, the only time you might be asked for an onward ticket in by the airline before you board the flight. Still think it's a crap shoot?


Thanks for the kind words. Why do you think airlines have these policies? The reason is due to Peruvian law, but ignorance is bliss for some people. Since it is obvious again that you don't know, here is a link about the tourist requirements (in english). This isn't airline policy but Peruvian immigration policy.

http://travel.state.gov/travel/cis_pa_t ... s_998.html

It is the Entry/Exit requirements. That is for US citizens although I believe it applies to just about anyone.

And yes it is a crapshoot. There are tons of people who have arrived on one way tickets as well as others who couldn't based on airline policy enforcement. Airline policies aren't uniformly enforced. I'm not advocating breaking the law, in fact, I hope the OP does not.
chuck
Gold Member
Gold Member
Posts: 162
Joined: Thu Jan 13, 2011 12:50 pm
Location: Lima

Re: Round Trip...or One-Way???

Postby chuck » Mon Jan 09, 2012 4:03 pm

*Grabs popcorn*
There are 10 types of people in the world — those who understand binary, and those who don't.
trevor33
Gold Member
Gold Member
Posts: 168
Joined: Thu Jan 17, 2008 5:03 pm

Re: Round Trip...or One-Way???

Postby trevor33 » Mon Jan 09, 2012 4:41 pm

sbaustin wrote:
trevor33 wrote:
sbaustin wrote:Trevor33, relying on this public forum for advice on airline and immigration policy isn't very wise. The airlines and immigrations will do what they do. As mentioned you can search the forum and see all kinds of situations have happened to all kinds of people so to my original point, it really doesn't matter what we write here. To your point which is entirely obvious, call immigrations, the peruvian embassy, and the airlines. As pointed out in my prior thread it is a risk entering without some kind of onward ticket.


If my post is entirely obvious why do people continue to ask the same question over and over regarding this matter? You've been about as useless as a flee in this thread, the fact is each airline will have their own official policy on the matter, contact them, get that official policy and if they say you don't need proof of onward travel get the name of the rep you spoke to and a reference for the phone call. It has nothing to do with immigration or the Peruvian embassy, the only time you might be asked for an onward ticket in by the airline before you board the flight. Still think it's a crap shoot?


Thanks for the kind words. Why do you think airlines have these policies? The reason is due to Peruvian law, but ignorance is bliss for some people. Since it is obvious again that you don't know, here is a link about the tourist requirements (in english). This isn't airline policy but Peruvian immigration policy.

http://travel.state.gov/travel/cis_pa_t ... s_998.html

It is the Entry/Exit requirements. That is for US citizens although I believe it applies to just about anyone.

And yes it is a crapshoot. There are tons of people who have arrived on one way tickets as well as others who couldn't based on airline policy enforcement. Airline policies aren't uniformly enforced. I'm not advocating breaking the law, in fact, I hope the OP does not.


The airlines have official policies on the matter because it is them who get stuck with the bill if you have to be deported due to over staying your visa, that's why they can ask for an onward ticket on boarding the flight, not because of any Peruvian law. A Peruvian law that is never enforced on arrival to Peru, not that i have ever heard of anyway, it as always been by the airlines wanting to cover their bank balance.

Have you or anyone you know ever been asked for proof of an onward ticket before you get your visa stamped? I doubt it. Peru and law enforcement, it's a funny one.

Saying all of this it couldn't do any harm buying a bus ticket to Ecuador or Chile just to be on the safe side but i have not come across anyone, on this forum or otherwise who has ever been asked for proof of onward travel when entering Peru, it's always been when boarding the flight by the airline.
TonyLeslie
Gold Member
Gold Member
Posts: 270
Joined: Sat May 21, 2011 11:46 am

Re: Round Trip...or One-Way???

Postby TonyLeslie » Mon Jan 09, 2012 4:45 pm

I think the cost of Airline tickets simply become more expensive the later you leave it to book your passage in relation to the date you wish to travel. Also last year I brought a three trip ticket with LAN, Australia to Lima, Lima to Australia and Australia to Lima, because the one way cost was over Aus $3,000.00 even booking 5 months in advance. Did not have a forward bookings to leave Lima on the last trip and had no problems with either LAN or Immigration in Peru.

Regarding the cost of one way tickets against return fares, I must get it easy. Booked early December for travel at the end of February with LAN. The return booking was $700.00 cheaper than a one way ticket. If I decided not to come back to Lima, I don't think I would care much whether I could get a refund or not.
User avatar
sbaustin
Gold Member
Gold Member
Posts: 2057
Joined: Sun Sep 10, 2006 1:46 pm
Location: Peru
Contact:

Re: Round Trip...or One-Way???

Postby sbaustin » Mon Jan 09, 2012 5:02 pm

trevor33 wrote:
Have you or anyone you know ever been asked for proof of an onward ticket before you get your visa stamped? I doubt it. Peru and law enforcement, it's a funny one.



The first post that popped up on my search was someone that had to buy a one way ticket. A long time forum member as well (tupacperu and about halfway down the thread) that had been traveling on one way tickets until they finally forced him to buy a return ticket.

viewtopic.php?t=6974

The reason that immigrations probably doesn't enforce the law (my theory) is because they are assuming the airlines are (for profit or otherwise). It is the same when traveling to Costa Rica from Peru. You may or may not be asked by the airlines for records of some shots(don't recall which). So, it is all a crapshoot however the law is pretty clear and the discussion in this thread seems to be a lot of hot air.
trevor33
Gold Member
Gold Member
Posts: 168
Joined: Thu Jan 17, 2008 5:03 pm

Re: Round Trip...or One-Way???

Postby trevor33 » Mon Jan 09, 2012 5:20 pm

"Spirit forced me to buy a return ticket at the airport." By the airline before the flight to Peru.
User avatar
sbaustin
Gold Member
Gold Member
Posts: 2057
Joined: Sun Sep 10, 2006 1:46 pm
Location: Peru
Contact:

Re: Round Trip...or One-Way???

Postby sbaustin » Mon Jan 09, 2012 5:52 pm

trevor33 wrote:"Spirit forced me to buy a return ticket at the airport." By the airline before the flight to Peru.


So back to, "it is a crap shoot". Everything else in this thread (including stuff I wrote) is just hot air and pretty much a waste of time. To the OP, I hope you do your own homework, make your own decision, and at least try to conform to the law. Good luck with your travels.
trevor33
Gold Member
Gold Member
Posts: 168
Joined: Thu Jan 17, 2008 5:03 pm

Re: Round Trip...or One-Way???

Postby trevor33 » Mon Jan 09, 2012 6:06 pm

sbaustin wrote:
trevor33 wrote:"Spirit forced me to buy a return ticket at the airport." By the airline before the flight to Peru.


So back to, "it is a crap shoot". Everything else in this thread (including stuff I wrote) is just hot air and pretty much a waste of time. To the OP, I hope you do your own homework, make your own decision, and at least try to conform to the law. Good luck with your travels.


But it isn't a 'crap shoot', that's what i've been trying to tell you. They won't ask in Peru, they never do. The airline might ask before boarding the flight, call them and ask for their OFFICIAL stance on the matter, if they say they don't have one expect to be asked. If they say they do and you don't require proof of onward travel get the reps name, their id number and get a reference number for the phone call.
User avatar
americorps
Gold Member
Gold Member
Posts: 3841
Joined: Tue Dec 12, 2006 4:16 pm
Location: Lima

Re: Round Trip...or One-Way???

Postby americorps » Mon Jan 09, 2012 8:12 pm

chi chi wrote:
americorps wrote:Please be advised that Chi Chi often provides incorrect information, his advice should be taken with a grain of salt,
In this case, his advice is so far off the mark it could cause people great problems.
And my final bit of advice, do not confuse Chi Chi's posts for real life experience or factual, sometimes they are, sometimes they are not


Americorps, I have 12 years experience in the airline business. Attended many aviation related courses. I know the business inside out.
The only posts that you write are negative posts about me. You are behaving like everything you write is right and everything what everyone else writes is wrong.


it is not a personal attack, it is a conclusion about the incorrect information you provide. I am sure you think you are correct and are trying to be helpful. You are not, however correct.

It is a matter of fact, not a matter of who you are at all. I mention you by name because you feel the need to post to most every question and the majority of your information is not correct, not because I have a personal issue against you. I am sure you are a perfectly nice guy truly wanting to help.
User avatar
americorps
Gold Member
Gold Member
Posts: 3841
Joined: Tue Dec 12, 2006 4:16 pm
Location: Lima

Re: Round Trip...or One-Way???

Postby americorps » Mon Jan 09, 2012 8:18 pm

mateo wrote:So what happens if some regular American tourist enters his hometown airport with his passport, a one-way ticket to Peru...and nothing else (well, except luggage)?

What happens?


what has happened to others is how I will answer that.

1. The airline might not say anything

2. The airline can deny you boarding until you produce onward passage

3. The airline might tell you that you must purchase a return ticket before boarding (even if that is not the case)

4. The airline might deny your boarding until you produce a reservation for onward passage.

Any one of the scenarios are possible, scenario 2 is the law.

If they deny you boarding for not conforming to the immigration rules of Peru, they are not obligated to refund your money except as per the policy of the ticket (usually meaning with $150 change fee) or nothing at all if you purchase it off a discount ticket website because technically it is your responsibility to inform yourself of the immigration rules of the country you are visiting.
User avatar
chi chi
Gold Member
Gold Member
Posts: 6060
Joined: Tue Dec 06, 2011 5:28 pm
Location: Granada, Andalusia

Re: Round Trip...or One-Way???

Postby chi chi » Mon Jan 09, 2012 9:03 pm

sbaustin wrote:The reason that immigrations probably doesn't enforce the law (my theory) is because they are assuming the airlines are (for profit or otherwise). It is the same when traveling to Costa Rica from Peru. You may or may not be asked by the airlines for records of some shots(don't recall which). So, it is all a crapshoot however the law is pretty clear and the discussion in this thread seems to be a lot of hot air.


After 12 years experience in the airline business, I can tell you that, that many check-in staff can't know the rules for a 100%. The job of check-in staff is a very tough job. They have to learn a lot in a few weeks of training. And rules change all the time.

On top of that it's a stressfull job. Especially the amount of rude passengers they have to deal with. They get regularly offended by passengers and violence against check in staff happens regularly. When the flight is delayed, cancelled or overbooked, they suffer the consequences from passengers the most.

Those people often start work at 3am.

I've you are rude to them, offend them or treat them like they are less than you then they will pull you through the mud and often will find a reason to deny you board the flight.

Remember that even the smallest incident gets reported and you can get blacklisted easily.

The best way is too obey all their instructions and never show the attitud of 'I know the rules better than you'.
Don't tell something like ''I know the owner or manager at this airline'' because they know that you are lying and that you know nobody.
Or something like ''I fly all the time with this airline or many times on this route''.
They are not interested in discussion with you at 5am. (Especially when they have a hangover). They just see you as a problem passenger who could become a danger to the flight.

If there's a disagreement during check-in, I suggest that you thank the check-in agent for his or her time. And proceed the customer service desk of the airline. And ask those employees for information regarding the policy of the airline and that for example that a check in agent denied you boarding because you have a one way ticket.
Don't say any bad things of the check in agent you first talked too. Airline people are like family. Many airline staff are good friends of each other and some even family members. If you offend one of them, you offend all of them.
renodante
Gold Member
Gold Member
Posts: 1228
Joined: Thu Oct 14, 2010 12:44 pm
Location: miraflores

Re: Round Trip...or One-Way???

Postby renodante » Tue Jan 10, 2012 12:08 am

mateo wrote:So what happens if some regular American tourist enters his hometown airport with his passport, a one-way ticket to Peru...and nothing else (well, except luggage)?

What happens?


What happened to me was the lady at check in asked "do you have proof of onward travel?" "no" "i can't let you on board then, you need to show proof of onward travel."

after seeing me turn white and my face drop she introduced me to the refundable ticket option.
User avatar
chi chi
Gold Member
Gold Member
Posts: 6060
Joined: Tue Dec 06, 2011 5:28 pm
Location: Granada, Andalusia

Re: Round Trip...or One-Way???

Postby chi chi » Tue Jan 10, 2012 12:15 pm

renodante wrote:
mateo wrote:So what happens if some regular American tourist enters his hometown airport with his passport, a one-way ticket to Peru...and nothing else (well, except luggage)?

What happens?


What happened to me was the lady at check in asked "do you have proof of onward travel?" "no" "i can't let you on board then, you need to show proof of onward travel."

after seeing me turn white and my face drop she introduced me to the refundable ticket option.


If you fly into the US then you must have a return ticket or onward ticket and US immigration always asks for it. So, most check in agent in the US assume that you also need it to fly into other countries.
renodante
Gold Member
Gold Member
Posts: 1228
Joined: Thu Oct 14, 2010 12:44 pm
Location: miraflores

Re: Round Trip...or One-Way???

Postby renodante » Tue Jan 10, 2012 8:56 pm

chi chi wrote:
renodante wrote:
mateo wrote:So what happens if some regular American tourist enters his hometown airport with his passport, a one-way ticket to Peru...and nothing else (well, except luggage)?

What happens?


What happened to me was the lady at check in asked "do you have proof of onward travel?" "no" "i can't let you on board then, you need to show proof of onward travel."

after seeing me turn white and my face drop she introduced me to the refundable ticket option.


If you fly into the US then you must have a return ticket or onward ticket and US immigration always asks for it. So, most check in agent in the US assume that you also need it to fly into other countries.


i'm pretty sure the poster was talking about flying *to* peru.
User avatar
chi chi
Gold Member
Gold Member
Posts: 6060
Joined: Tue Dec 06, 2011 5:28 pm
Location: Granada, Andalusia

Re: Round Trip...or One-Way???

Postby chi chi » Wed Jan 11, 2012 1:22 pm

[quote="renodante"

i'm pretty sure the poster was talking about flying *to* peru.[/quote]

I flew one time with a one-way ticket to Peru. Before doing that, I contacted the Peruvian consulate.
They confirmed me that an onward ticket or return ticket wasn't required. But you must have enough funds to be able to leave Peru before expiry of your visa.

The gave me a letter stamped by the Consulate that I can show to the airline in case of discussion. I flew from Amsterdam to Lima.
User avatar
adrian Thorne
Gold Member
Gold Member
Posts: 1134
Joined: Fri Aug 03, 2007 1:29 am
Location: Sol De La Molina

Re: Round Trip...or One-Way???

Postby adrian Thorne » Thu Jan 12, 2012 8:31 am

During November I checked in at Heathrow on a return ticket and British Passport to Lima and the clerk insisted my travel was not valid without any exit travel ticket. I explained that I lived in Peru and on production of both DNI and Peruvian passport they relunctantly allowed me to board my flight.
User avatar
americorps
Gold Member
Gold Member
Posts: 3841
Joined: Tue Dec 12, 2006 4:16 pm
Location: Lima

Re: Round Trip...or One-Way???

Postby americorps » Thu Jan 12, 2012 11:45 am

chi chi wrote:[quote="renodante"

i'm pretty sure the poster was talking about flying *to* peru.


I flew one time with a one-way ticket to Peru. Before doing that, I contacted the Peruvian consulate.
They confirmed me that an onward ticket or return ticket wasn't required. But you must have enough funds to be able to leave Peru before expiry of your visa.

The gave me a letter stamped by the Consulate that I can show to the airline in case of discussion. I flew from Amsterdam to Lima.[/quote]

That was either many years ago, or you were given incorrect information because that has not been true, without a Peruvian carnet, dni or passport for more than 10 years. The ministry of tourism puts out an official document that says return ticket or onward passage.
User avatar
chi chi
Gold Member
Gold Member
Posts: 6060
Joined: Tue Dec 06, 2011 5:28 pm
Location: Granada, Andalusia

Re: Round Trip...or One-Way???

Postby chi chi » Thu Jan 12, 2012 2:35 pm

americorps wrote:
chi chi wrote:[quote="renodante"

i'm pretty sure the poster was talking about flying *to* peru.


I flew one time with a one-way ticket to Peru. Before doing that, I contacted the Peruvian consulate.
They confirmed me that an onward ticket or return ticket wasn't required. But you must have enough funds to be able to leave Peru before expiry of your visa.

The gave me a letter stamped by the Consulate that I can show to the airline in case of discussion. I flew from Amsterdam to Lima.


That was either many years ago, or you were given incorrect information because that has not been true, without a Peruvian carnet, dni or passport for more than 10 years. The ministry of tourism puts out an official document that says return ticket or onward passage.[/quote]

Americorps, according to you everyone is wrong. Everyone who post something here, the Peruvian consulate, the embassies,...
Are you now already disputing the rules given by the Peruvian consulate. They gave me an official letter confirming that a return ticket wasn't required.

You are confusing people all them time. Sometimes, you comments can get people into trouble. And your information comes from unreliable surveys or articlesin some kind of newspaper.
User avatar
americorps
Gold Member
Gold Member
Posts: 3841
Joined: Tue Dec 12, 2006 4:16 pm
Location: Lima

Re: Round Trip...or One-Way???

Postby americorps » Thu Jan 12, 2012 3:49 pm

Chi Chi, there is not doubt at all, with my partner working at the ministry of tourism, that your information is not correct.

That is verifiable and without a doubt the case.

You can not enter Peru as a tourist without having onward passage or a CONFIRMED reservation. Even with everything in order, your stay is the discretion of the border agent who can give you any amount of time he or she feels is appropriate.

again, I understand your statement that you feel I am making this personal about you, but I am not, I am just making this accurate. The reason you feel it is addressed to you personally is that you make many many posts that are truly not fully accurate. It is not a personal issue against you, I am sure you think what you are saying it correct and helpful, and I appreciate that you are always willing to be helpful. That is an admirable trait in fact.

Further, Chi Chi, If the Embassy or Consulate gave you wrong information, I blame them, not you at all.

Your understanding of the information, however, is not always accurate and it would be a great disservice to the community to let inaccurate or incomplete statements stand.

In fact, I had requested the document from the ministry that confirms my understanding and here is a link to the PDF.

I think you would find it very helpful to read over Chi Chi.

http://www.mincetur.gob.pe/Turismo/guia ... fault.html

It loads slow.

My information comes form the ministry of tourism, so your claim as to where my information comes from is another inaccurate statement, but I am glad to correct it and present the documents.

I am terribly sorry if you feel my compulsion to correct inaccurate information is a personal attack, that is not the case at all.
User avatar
sbaustin
Gold Member
Gold Member
Posts: 2057
Joined: Sun Sep 10, 2006 1:46 pm
Location: Peru
Contact:

Re: Round Trip...or One-Way???

Postby sbaustin » Thu Jan 12, 2012 4:13 pm

A lot of people forget that non Peruvian citizens are considered guests here and realistically an immigration officer can deny you entry for anything or no reason at all. The USA government exercises this right much more freely because even though someone may have a valid VISA they can still be denied entry at the border or airport at the discretion of the officer. Something you may want to consider when entering any foreign country or taking advice from people telling you it is OK to break the law because they may or probably won't check your return ticket or whatever.
User avatar
Kelly
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 3871
Joined: Fri Mar 11, 2005 9:28 pm
Location: Lima, Peru
Contact:

Re: Round Trip...or One-Way???

Postby Kelly » Thu Jan 12, 2012 4:22 pm

Honestly, I've checked that book from cover to cover and don't find anything about needing round-trip, onward passage or anything EXCEPT in the case of people who are from countries who must apply for a visa from the Peruvian consulate.

All the same - The airline can insist on what they wish to cover their own butts, and I really don't think it will matter at the gate if you say, "well, Fred at the Main Headquarters emailed me this saying I didn't need it" - if they don't want to let you board without round trip or onward travel, they won't.

And as sbaustin says above, immigration can also decide to do whatever they wish when you try to enter the country. Although I've never heard of it happening, if they decide to say you can't enter because you don't have a ticket, they can do that.

It seems to me that the simplest thing is to understand that it may very well be a requirement, and to be prepared for that eventuality - either have a reservation or ticket, or have the cash available to buy a return that you can change or cancel later.
User avatar
chi chi
Gold Member
Gold Member
Posts: 6060
Joined: Tue Dec 06, 2011 5:28 pm
Location: Granada, Andalusia

Re: Round Trip...or One-Way???

Postby chi chi » Thu Jan 12, 2012 4:33 pm

Kelly wrote:Honestly, I've checked that book from cover to cover and don't find anything about needing round-trip, onward passage or anything EXCEPT in the case of people who are from countries who must apply for a visa from the Peruvian consulate.

And as sbaustin says above, immigration can also decide to do whatever they wish when you try to enter the country. Although I've never heard of it happening, if they decide to say you can't enter because you don't have a ticket, they can do that.

It seems to me that the simplest thing is to understand that it may very well be a requirement, and to be prepared for that eventuality - either have a reservation or ticket, or have the cash available to buy a return that you can change or cancel later.


Immigration in Peru doesn't want to hassle tourists. Tourists are important for the country. They don't want to be racist.
User avatar
americorps
Gold Member
Gold Member
Posts: 3841
Joined: Tue Dec 12, 2006 4:16 pm
Location: Lima

Re: Round Trip...or One-Way???

Postby americorps » Thu Jan 12, 2012 7:25 pm

Kelly wrote:Honestly, I've checked that book from cover to cover and don't find anything about needing round-trip, onward passage or anything EXCEPT in the case of people who are from countries who must apply for a visa from the Peruvian consulate.

All the same - The airline can insist on what they wish to cover their own butts, and I really don't think it will matter at the gate if you say, "well, Fred at the Main Headquarters emailed me this saying I didn't need it" - if they don't want to let you board without round trip or onward travel, they won't.

And as sbaustin says above, immigration can also decide to do whatever they wish when you try to enter the country. Although I've never heard of it happening, if they decide to say you can't enter because you don't have a ticket, they can do that.

It seems to me that the simplest thing is to understand that it may very well be a requirement, and to be prepared for that eventuality - either have a reservation or ticket, or have the cash available to buy a return that you can change or cancel later.



Kelly, the translation to English missed some things. The regulations are to get a TAM, and the photo is for the visa.
User avatar
gerard
Gold Member
Gold Member
Posts: 401
Joined: Mon Aug 20, 2007 10:43 am
Location: Lima

Re: Round Trip...or One-Way???

Postby gerard » Thu Jan 12, 2012 8:38 pm

The Spanish version is here http://www.mincetur.gob.pe/Turismo/guia_facilitacion/es/Default.html. I'd have to agree with Kelly that the only mention of requiring onward passage is for people who need to apply for a visa.

I wouldn't however want to argue that point with a check-in agent 2 hours before my flight!
User avatar
sbaustin
Gold Member
Gold Member
Posts: 2057
Joined: Sun Sep 10, 2006 1:46 pm
Location: Peru
Contact:

Re: Round Trip...or One-Way???

Postby sbaustin » Fri Jan 13, 2012 10:59 am

This is the relevant section and typically at the airport they don't ask you but at the borders they sure do.. Regardless, I believe it is an actual requirement which is why the airlines have their policy, however finding exact info is sometimes hard.

Take it for all it is worth. If you get to the airport and ask for 183 days they may ask you about your return ticket. They probably won't. Welcome to Peru.
Attachments
peru-ingresar.png
peru-ingresar.png (144.91 KiB) Viewed 4734 times
User avatar
chi chi
Gold Member
Gold Member
Posts: 6060
Joined: Tue Dec 06, 2011 5:28 pm
Location: Granada, Andalusia

Re: Round Trip...or One-Way???

Postby chi chi » Fri Jan 13, 2012 11:55 am

The requirements are only for people who need a visa.
User avatar
americorps
Gold Member
Gold Member
Posts: 3841
Joined: Tue Dec 12, 2006 4:16 pm
Location: Lima

Re: Round Trip...or One-Way???

Postby americorps » Fri Jan 13, 2012 11:48 pm

For those willing to try and follow Chi CHi's advice, instead of taking my word, search the boards for the number of people denied boarding for not having a return ticket or onward passage.
MarcoPE
Gold Member
Gold Member
Posts: 500
Joined: Thu Dec 02, 2010 5:29 pm

Re: Round Trip...or One-Way???

Postby MarcoPE » Sat Jan 14, 2012 12:29 am

Am I missing something? As far as I know it doesn't matter which country you are from...the TAM they give you (and everybody) at the airport, which restricts the number of days you can remain in the country, is an equivalent to a tourist visa, and as such they CAN require proof of onward travel or, at the very least, proof of sufficient funds to acquire the onward travel. Personally, I would follow Americorps advice and have an escape, just in case.
User avatar
adrian Thorne
Gold Member
Gold Member
Posts: 1134
Joined: Fri Aug 03, 2007 1:29 am
Location: Sol De La Molina

Re: Round Trip...or One-Way???

Postby adrian Thorne » Sat Jan 14, 2012 8:11 am

Chi Chi is correct. Any person who enters Peru without a visa must be here illegally and would not need proof of onward passage. The most basic tourist visa is still a visa and the laws apply. I admire Chi Chi´s honesty by staying within the law and flying to Chile for the renewal of his 183 day tourist visa with at least 22 days left. I hope they don´t ask him for proof of onward passage, when he returns to Peru.
We cannot assume anything. More and more laws are being enforced following the change of government and Americorps has given very sound advice.
goingnowherefast

Re: Round Trip...or One-Way???

Postby goingnowherefast » Sat Jan 14, 2012 8:54 am

LOL... I wouldn't take much advice I get on these forums : P

For what it's worth, I flew into Peru yesterday with American and was required to show an exit ticket.
User avatar
adrian Thorne
Gold Member
Gold Member
Posts: 1134
Joined: Fri Aug 03, 2007 1:29 am
Location: Sol De La Molina

Re: Round Trip...or One-Way???

Postby adrian Thorne » Sat Jan 14, 2012 10:59 am

goingnowherefast wrote:LOL... I wouldn't take much advice I get on these forums : P

For what it's worth, I flew into Peru yesterday with American and was required to show an exit ticket.


Quite the opposite. ExPat and some pretty amazing people have saved my bacon more times than I can recount.
User avatar
edgeclinger
Gold Member
Gold Member
Posts: 280
Joined: Mon Nov 09, 2009 5:26 pm
Location: Magdalena del Mar
Contact:

Re: Round Trip...or One-Way???

Postby edgeclinger » Sun Jan 15, 2012 7:24 pm

My husband flew in to Lima last night from Miami - on Spirit Air. No one asked him for a return ticket or onward passage or anything else. So far we've never been asked, but realize it's the "luck of the draw!"
Lauris
Loving Living in Lima
Lloyd007
Gold Member
Gold Member
Posts: 516
Joined: Wed Oct 20, 2010 11:24 am

Re: Round Trip...or One-Way???

Postby Lloyd007 » Fri May 18, 2012 11:53 am

If I fly Iberia or KLM to London with a LIM-LON-LIM ticket, what are the chances that when leaving London, the carrier will want me to have (or buy) a return ticket to London, as I am British? I do have a carnet residency for Peru.

Does anyone have experience with this?

Return to “Expat Information”

Login  •  Register