Border hop

Answers to your qestions about moving to, and living in, Peru,
bluepink11

Border hop

Postby bluepink11 » Sat Jan 14, 2012 9:49 pm

So I went to the Macara border. And it was the last day of my 183 days. The border agent/police man said that if I had been one day more late they would have arrested me.
I thought then I would have to pay a fine of 1 sol per day.
He also said that I have to leave Peru when I still have 1 month left. So if they give me 183 days I must leave after 153. Otherwise I can not come back soon again but I have to stay in Ecuador for like 3 months or 6 months.
Was he right about those 2 statements?

trevor33
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: Border hop

Postby trevor33 » Sun Jan 15, 2012 4:18 pm

No, neither.
sunflower
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby sunflower » Sun Jan 15, 2012 5:55 pm

Why would anybody stamp 183 days in your passport and then just allow you to stay 153 days? Absolute nonsense!!! One thing we all learn, this border crossing isn't ideal for people getting a new tourist visa.
leidulvstad
Silver Member
Silver Member

Postby leidulvstad » Sun Jan 15, 2012 6:49 pm

Didn't he threaten you with the bogeyman also? :-)
Next time better go to Arica.
Kelly

Postby Kelly » Sun Jan 15, 2012 8:18 pm

bluepink11 wrote:I thought then I would have to pay a fine of 1 sol per day.

The fine for overstaying is $1, not 1 sol.
koplinfamilia
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby koplinfamilia » Mon Jan 16, 2012 8:40 am

Arica is the way to go, simple and no hassles or bribes. Next time fly down to Tacna, grab a cab and cross over and back within an hour with no trouble. It is $1 a day, I read that on a sign there at the Arica crossing.
Integrity Tourism & Transportation
ENTEL 985 059 944
RPM #949 811 404
USA Direct Line (585) 861-3106
http://www.integritytourism.com
joseph

Postby joseph » Mon Jan 16, 2012 7:13 pm

If you are in Lima or Arequipa get a cheap flight on Peruvian airlines to Tacna. Take it from me, the bus is hell. Do not get a taxi at the airport to Chile. Take a taxi to the terminal in Tacna and take a car to Arica. The car holds six people but I am a big guy and pay for two seats and sit in the front with the driver. I have done this three times and never had a problem. I request 183 days and get them with a smile. Stay overnight in Arica, buy some good wine at very low prices in a supermarket and enjoy a great beef dinner, the good meat is the country next door to Chile Argentina. If money is not a problem you can take Sky Airlines directly to Arica. I did this once and learned the Arica is on the border with Peru and paid more for the taxi from the airport then I paid for the car from Tacna to Arica. In all I saved about 15 minutes at a extra cost of at least $120.00
joseph

Postby joseph » Mon Jan 16, 2012 7:26 pm

I was going to say the Arica AIRPORT is on the border.
bluepink11

Postby bluepink11 » Wed Jan 18, 2012 1:54 am

Hi,
I have also heard that the Chile border is better. The thing is that I am living around 160 km from the Macara border. So it is a lot cheaper and faster to go there. I can go there and back in maybe 6 h. I could also travel along the coast and this would be maybe 7 h there and 7 back.
What would you people do to be able to get 183 new days all the time as easily as possible if you were living here?
Would you travel to Macara with a police man who you know and then he can make sure you get what you want?
Would you ask a police man or lawyer to call them before you go so they will not give you problems?
Would you travel along the coast and hope that they give you less problems there?
Or would you just listen to the border guard in Macara who said, if you come here 1-2 months before the last day I will give you 183 new days and you don't need to stay in Ecuador for 3-6 months?
Or would you do something different?
Also, I am not a normal tourist who stay in Mancora and who spend my time with other foreigners, I know only Peruvians. I also know somebody very well who know police men in my city. Maybe this person can ask them where the stamps for the passport and Tourist Card is, so maybe we can just go to the police station in this city and get 183 new days when I want. Or maybe we go to the airport in this city. I mean if these police men just know where the stamps are or if they know the person who work with stamping things.
chi chi
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby chi chi » Wed Jan 18, 2012 4:34 pm

koplinfamilia wrote:Arica is the way to go, simple and no hassles or bribes. Next time fly down to Tacna, grab a cab and cross over and back within an hour with no trouble. It is $1 a day, I read that on a sign there at the Arica crossing.

Brasil and Bolivia is no hassle either.

We are in Santiago de Chile at the moment and when we arrived at the airport we saw payment desks where people from some countries have to pay a fee to enter Chile. I talked to some Americans I met at the hostal and they told me they paid $140 to enter Chile.
americorps
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby americorps » Wed Jan 18, 2012 7:21 pm

Chi Chi's comments that Brazil and Bolivia are no hassle is more true for non USA travelers.

There are very few easy to cross Brazil land borders that do not require a boat ride or a long haul to get to and US citizens must have a visa BEFORE they cross the border and the rules state that they are to get it from the USA unless they have a carnet or dni. That being said, I know people who swear that they were able to get a visa to Brazil at the Brazilian Embassy here in Lima, so perhaps the rules are sometimes flexible.

Hardly an easy option for a border cross for a US citizen wanting to renew their tam.

Bolivia is also becoming more of a pain for US border crossers because not only do they have to pay the $140 visa fee, but they have to register a lot of information and answer a lot of questions at the border.

Further, there is more lawlessness, more corruption and less security at the Ecuadoran, Brazilian and Bolivian borders than there is at the Chilean borders.

Finally, there is NO $140 fee for crossing the border to Chile, there is a fee for a US citizen landing at a Chilean airport from an international flight, but land crossings do not have that fee. Yet.
trevor33
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby trevor33 » Thu Jan 19, 2012 4:01 pm

americorps wrote:Chi Chi's comments that Brazil and Bolivia are no hassle is more true for non USA travelers.

There are very few easy to cross Brazil land borders that do not require a boat ride or a long haul to get to and US citizens must have a visa BEFORE they cross the border and the rules state that they are to get it from the USA unless they have a carnet or dni. That being said, I know people who swear that they were able to get a visa to Brazil at the Brazilian Embassy here in Lima, so perhaps the rules are sometimes flexible.

Hardly an easy option for a border cross for a US citizen wanting to renew their tam.

Bolivia is also becoming more of a pain for US border crossers because not only do they have to pay the $140 visa fee, but they have to register a lot of information and answer a lot of questions at the border.

Further, there is more lawlessness, more corruption and less security at the Ecuadoran, Brazilian and Bolivian borders than there is at the Chilean borders.

Finally, there is NO $140 fee for crossing the border to Chile, there is a fee for a US citizen landing at a Chilean airport from an international flight, but land crossings do not have that fee. Yet.

Why no fee on landing borders into Chile? Seems quite strange, they charge at one and not the other...

To my knowledge Inapari/Assis is the only land border to Brisil and i can confirm that it is far from hassle free... i think the term 'lawlessness' is unfair but there certainly was more security at the Tacna border crossing than any of the others i've used.
Last edited by trevor33 on Thu Jan 19, 2012 5:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Kelly

Postby Kelly » Thu Jan 19, 2012 4:26 pm

I've always thought it was strange too, but that's the way it is. From the US State Dept website - http://travel.state.gov/travel/cis_pa_t ... quirements

ENTRY/EXIT REQUIREMENTS: U.S. citizens entering Chile must have a valid passport. U.S. citizens traveling to Chile for recreation, tourism, business, or academic conferences do not need to obtain a visa prior to their arrival to Chile. A Tourist Card will be issued for a stay of up to 90 days upon payment of a reciprocity fee, currently US $140. Currently, the fee is only charged at the Santiago International Airport.

Go figure. :|
trevor33
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby trevor33 » Thu Jan 19, 2012 5:42 pm

Wait, "the fee is only charged at the Santiago International Airport." So any other airport is free entry as well? :roll:
Kelly

Postby Kelly » Thu Jan 19, 2012 7:25 pm

That's the impression I got.
Jalapenomel
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby Jalapenomel » Tue Jan 24, 2012 4:18 pm

bluepink11 wrote:So I went to the Macara border. And it was the last day of my 183 days. The border agent/police man said that if I had been one day more late they would have arrested me.
I thought then I would have to pay a fine of 1 sol per day.
He also said that I have to leave Peru when I still have 1 month left. So if they give me 183 days I must leave after 153. Otherwise I can not come back soon again but I have to stay in Ecuador for like 3 months or 6 months.
Was he right about those 2 statements?
Is this true for the border crossing or only in the airport?
Kelly

Postby Kelly » Tue Jan 24, 2012 6:59 pm

It's a $1/day fine if you overstay your visa, and it is paid when you exit through immigration whether at the airport or at a border crossing. However, some smaller crossings are not set up to accept cash, and it can cause problems and delays if you have overstayed, so it can be easier to go pay at DIGEMIN before you leave.

It's explained in this article - http://www.expatperu.com/overstaying-pe ... -visa.html
chi chi
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby chi chi » Sat Jan 28, 2012 7:42 pm

Kelly wrote:It's a $1/day fine if you overstay your visa, and it is paid when you exit through immigration whether at the airport or at a border crossing. However, some smaller crossings are not set up to accept cash, and it can cause problems and delays if you have overstayed, so it can be easier to go pay at DIGEMIN before you leave.

It's explained in this article - http://www.expatperu.com/overstaying-pe ... -visa.html

And after paying your fine, you don't have to leave immediately. After paying my fine, they put a stamp in my passport to stay another 10 days.
chi chi
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby chi chi » Sat Jan 28, 2012 7:46 pm

bluepink11 wrote:Maybe this person can ask them where the stamps for the passport and Tourist Card is, so maybe we can just go to the police station in this city and get 183 new days when I want. Or maybe we go to the airport in this city. I mean if these police men just know where the stamps are or if they know the person who work with stamping things.

Still, your information will have to be entered in the computer of inmigrationes.

Last time, I arrived in Lima, I saw on the computer screen of the immigration officer all the dates when I entered and left the country. Also which airline I flew with.
adrian Thorne
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby adrian Thorne » Sat Jan 28, 2012 10:24 pm

chi chi wrote:
Kelly wrote:It's a $1/day fine if you overstay your visa, and it is paid when you exit through immigration whether at the airport or at a border crossing. However, some smaller crossings are not set up to accept cash, and it can cause problems and delays if you have overstayed, so it can be easier to go pay at DIGEMIN before you leave.

And after paying your fine, you don't have to leave immediately. After paying my fine, they put a stamp in my passport to stay another 10 days.

Sorry Chi Chi I am a little lost. You did not say where they stamped your passport. Was this when you crossed to Ecuador, the flight to NY, the flight to Chile or as Kelly,s quote, Digemin?
falconagain
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby falconagain » Sat Jan 28, 2012 10:53 pm

chi chi wrote:
bluepink11 wrote:Maybe this person can ask them where the stamps for the passport and Tourist Card is, so maybe we can just go to the police station in this city and get 183 new days when I want. Or maybe we go to the airport in this city. I mean if these police men just know where the stamps are or if they know the person who work with stamping things.

Still, your information will have to be entered in the computer of inmigrationes.

Last time, I arrived in Lima, I saw on the computer screen of the immigration officer all the dates when I entered and left the country. Also which airline I flew with.

Peruvian Immigration keeps an individual record of all people with the dates of entrance and exit of the
country.This record was made to avoid fraud and detect the people that travel with fake documents or
duplicate passports with misspelling on their names. It is called hoja de movimiento migratorio and the
Peruvian Government has informed all foreign governments about it. When I was about to get my greencard
I was asked by the US Embassy to present my hoja de movimiento migratorio. Looks like they have
access to the Peruvian system, because the girl at the embassy told me that there were some discrepancies on the records that they had. Then when I went to the Peruvian ministry I found out that I was classified as
a foreign citizen due to a data entry mistake at the airport. Fortunately I presented my dni and my
old LE and the problem was sold. Still it is good to know that Peru tries to keep records of everybody
and shares them with the US Embassy.
chi chi
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby chi chi » Sun Jan 29, 2012 4:30 pm

adrian Thorne wrote:Sorry Chi Chi I am a little lost. You did not say where they stamped your passport. Was this when you crossed to Ecuador, the flight to NY, the flight to Chile or as Kelly,s quote, Digemin?

Lima airport when leaving for Washington DC. I paid my fine and they stamped my passport with a blue stamp that allowed me to stay another 10 days. But I left the same day I paid the fine because I had a flight ticket. So they gave me an exit stamp too.
adrian Thorne
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby adrian Thorne » Mon Jan 30, 2012 10:50 pm

chi chi wrote:
adrian Thorne wrote:Sorry Chi Chi I am a little lost. You did not say where they stamped your passport. Was this when you crossed to Ecuador, the flight to NY, the flight to Chile or as Kelly,s quote, Digemin?

Lima airport when leaving for Washington DC. I paid my fine and they stamped my passport with a blue stamp that allowed me to stay another 10 days. But I left the same day I paid the fine because I had a flight ticket. So they gave me an exit stamp too.

Thanks Chi Chi this could be very useful if your flight is cancelled or you decide at the last minute to miss your flight and stay in Peru a little longer.

Return to “Expat Information”

Login  •  Register