Leaving Peru on Carnet

Answers to your qestions about moving to, and living in, Peru,
canadiantraveller
Silver Member
Silver Member

Leaving Peru on Carnet

Postby canadiantraveller » Fri Jan 20, 2012 2:45 pm

Hey Folks,

I've been doing a number of searches on leaving the country as I will be going on vacation for a couple weeks next week and I've found some mixed info.

I have a Carnet from marrying my peruvian wife. I've read in some places that I don't need to provide anything to leave the country. I am also working here in Peru for a company but as mentioned above, my CE is for marriage not for work.

We've also called the immigrations office who stated we would need the following:
- proof from employer that i've been paying taxes
- a letter from my wife, notarized by a lawyer advising that I will be returning. (seems weird, especially that we are travelling together and will have a return ticket a couple weeks later.)

We will be getting the following things just to make sure, but this is my first time travelling out of Peru since I received my CE and I'm getting a little bit worried about being denied on the flight.

Information from anyone with a CE married to a peruvian and also working here would be helpful.

Thanks

Matt

goingnowherefast

Re: Leaving Peru on Carnet

Postby goingnowherefast » Fri Jan 20, 2012 4:07 pm

Unless you're a naturalized Peruvian citizen that's going to Bolivia or whichever other countries that accept the DNI card as a travel document, I think you're going to need a passport.
canadiantraveller
Silver Member
Silver Member

Postby canadiantraveller » Fri Jan 20, 2012 4:11 pm

Of course I will have my passport as well.
goingnowherefast

Postby goingnowherefast » Fri Jan 20, 2012 6:40 pm

Well if you have your passport then why would you be stopped from leaving Peru?

Customs - "Excuse me sir, without that letter from your wife I can't let you leave the country."

Edit - Or have the peruanas gathered to have laws created preventing their foreigner husbands from leaving the country without a letter of consent? I could see that happening here.
canadiantraveller
Silver Member
Silver Member

Postby canadiantraveller » Fri Jan 20, 2012 9:30 pm

I was told by immigrations that I would need these documents to leave the country. It seems weird, which is why I came here to see if anyone else who is also married to a peruvian and working here has had to show any of this information to leave the country. This will be my first time leaving since getting married and having a CE.

I am not on a tourist visa here, I am a resident, therefore I will have to present my passport as well as my Carnet de Extranjeria to leave the country. At least that is what I have been led to believe by many people.

Maybe it's as simple as providing a passport and going through immigrations, I'm not sure, thats why I'm asking.
Serionlv
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby Serionlv » Sat Jan 21, 2012 1:04 pm

As a Rentista, when I leave the country I need to bring a paper declaring I had no Peruvian income since I do not work. It is downloaded on the web from http://orientacion.sunat.gob.pe/images/imagenes/formularios/Form1495.pdf

I fill it out and sign it. I think you need one for minor children too (but I don't have any)

I hand them my passport (USA), carne and that paper.

But I am not married to my partner and have an independent status so not sure about any requirements for that.

I did see that DIGIMAN and SUNAT now have English pages which help a lot. Also look at http://www.theultimateperulist.blogspot.com/ as it is a big help.
adrian Thorne
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby adrian Thorne » Sat Jan 21, 2012 11:21 pm

I have left and returned to Peru many times with a CE. It is a simple process of completing the TAM and presenting it together with CE and passport on exit. You must ensure you have the current valid stamps on the reverse of the CE. You then retain the torn off bottom part of the TAM for handing in on return to Peru. There is no need to complete a further TAM when you return.
agantuk
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby agantuk » Sat Jan 21, 2012 11:26 pm

from my personal experience (i have a spousal visa), you do not need any letter from your wife (i left by myself)....just your CE and passport should be enough...i did have a completed F-1495 SUNAT form with me but airport immigration did not ask for it....

hope this helps...
canadiantraveller
Silver Member
Silver Member

Postby canadiantraveller » Sat Jan 21, 2012 11:47 pm

thanks folks, i'm feeling much more at ease based on this info.
gerard
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby gerard » Sun Jan 22, 2012 8:26 am

Form 1495 is for people who are not generating any income within Peru - I'm not sure their experiences will match your situation as you say you are working for a company here.

My understanding, and it is not something I have personal experience of as I was always in the 1495 group, if that you will need the letter from your employer confirming your taxes are paid up. There may be a form to go with that - is it is 1692? There an old link here:

http://www.sunat.gob.pe/legislacion/sup ... 05/125.htm

As to the letter from your wife....I'd think of the risk/reward. Sure it'll be a pain to get it notarised, but nowhere near as painful as needing it and not having it.

My personal experience gathered over maybe 20 trips on a CE was 90% of the time they'd take my 1495, glance at it and shove it inthe pile with all the other papers, and 10% of the time they'd either hand it back to me and say I didn't need it, or if I didn't offer it then they'd ask for it.
scubagirl01
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby scubagirl01 » Wed Jan 25, 2012 5:58 pm

adrian Thorne wrote:I have left and returned to Peru many times with a CE. It is a simple process of completing the TAM and presenting it together with CE and passport on exit. You must ensure you have the current valid stamps on the reverse of the CE. You then retain the torn off bottom part of the TAM for handing in on return to Peru. There is no need to complete a further TAM when you return.

I have had the exact same experience as Adrian at the airport. I married my Peruvian husband and have a CE and have worked for a Peruvian company for over two years. I have visited the U.S. at least twice a year and have never had any problems. As mentioned, you will need a TAM (Tarjeta Andean Migratoria ??) which is a white form that has a top and bottom (they have these as soon as you pass security). As you go through customs, you hand them your TAM, Passport and CE. They will rip off the top half of the TAM and give you the bottom half which you need to hand in when you return to the country. Just be sure, as mentioned in another reply, that the stamps on the back of your CE are up to date. These stamps are the proof that you have paid any required taxes as a resident of Peru. If your stamps are out of date you will need to fix that in downtown Breña at Migraciones (the same place Pervians go to get their passports).
chelsearob77
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby chelsearob77 » Sun Jan 26, 2014 5:08 pm

scubagirl01 wrote:
adrian Thorne wrote:I have left and returned to Peru many times with a CE. It is a simple process of completing the TAM and presenting it together with CE and passport on exit. You must ensure you have the current valid stamps on the reverse of the CE. You then retain the torn off bottom part of the TAM for handing in on return to Peru. There is no need to complete a further TAM when you return.

I have had the exact same experience as Adrian at the airport. I married my Peruvian husband and have a CE and have worked for a Peruvian company for over two years. I have visited the U.S. at least twice a year and have never had any problems. As mentioned, you will need a TAM (Tarjeta Andean Migratoria ??) which is a white form that has a top and bottom (they have these as soon as you pass security). As you go through customs, you hand them your TAM, Passport and CE. They will rip off the top half of the TAM and give you the bottom half which you need to hand in when you return to the country. Just be sure, as mentioned in another reply, that the stamps on the back of your CE are up to date. These stamps are the proof that you have paid any required taxes as a resident of Peru. If your stamps are out of date you will need to fix that in downtown Breña at Migraciones (the same place Pervians go to get their passports).

I recently got my Carnet (due to being married to Peruvian) & was wondering what would be needed should I need to leave the country, on the back of my Carnet there are no stamps just one section that says: tasa anual de extranjera & the first box has 2015 on it & the other section below that says: prorroga de residencia & the first box in that section says hasta 07/01/2016 so I gather from that I'm not required to pay any taxes for the stamps on my Carnet until 2015 at the earliest & will be able to leave Peru if I wanted to before then going though customs & being issued a TAM upon leaving Peru correct?
Graham

Postby Graham » Wed Jan 29, 2014 1:24 pm

Last year my wife and I found ourselves at Tunbis to go for a few days to Ecuador. I showed my residents card on the Peruvian side and it was stamped to exit, but on the Ecuadian side I was told it wasnt valid to entre any other country its only valid here in Peru. Ok I said can I leave on my passport, yes no problem I was told. As I was about to use my passport the Peruvian officer said if you leave on your passport your resedence card will be canciled and you will have to pay, which had cost me a lot of money, but thats another story, and get a new one as you will become a turist again.
He also said with new Peruvian policies that is not garanteed even if you have lived here before, in my case 19 years and he would not recommed me leaving on my passport as my may not get in again married or not, So we didnt go.

Graham
gerard
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby gerard » Fri Jan 31, 2014 4:43 pm

According to Comunidad Andina regulations:

The Andean countries have joined efforts to ensure that their citizens are able to move freely throughout the subregion, either for purposes of tourism (temporary or short-term migration) or for reasons involving a change in their normal place of residence (permanent or long-term migration).

Decision 503 was approved in June 2001, stipulating that the sole requirement for tourist travel in the subregion is the possession of a national identification document. In September 2006, the Andean Migration Card (Resolution 527) was adopted as the compulsory standard document for immigration and statistical control upon entry into or departure from a Member Country.

http://www.comunidadandina.org/en/seccion2.aspx?id=84&tipo=TE&title=migration

Your CE should have allowed you to enter Ecuador.
sbaustin
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby sbaustin » Fri Jan 31, 2014 5:18 pm

Graham wrote: Ok I said can I leave on my passport, yes no problem I was told. As I was about to use my passport the Peruvian officer said if you leave on your passport your resedence card will be canciled and you will have to pay, which had cost me a lot of money, but thats another story, and get a new one as you will become a turist again.

If you are referring to Ecuador, how you enter that country (via passport, dni, or whatever) should have no bearing on your legal status in Peru. What is important is how you leave and enter Peru.
Graham

Postby Graham » Fri Jan 31, 2014 9:48 pm

It seems on the immigration computer I was a resident therefor if I had used my passport the comuter would have changed from resident to turist and I would have had to use my passport to re-entre Peru, making my resident card invalid and I would have to start the process again. Anyway as I said the customs said my resident card is only valid here in Peru and no where else.

Graham

Return to “Expat Information”

Login  •  Register