online banking at BCP?

Answers to your qestions about moving to, and living in, Peru,
Jalapenomel
Gold Member
Gold Member

online banking at BCP?

Postby Jalapenomel » Mon Jan 23, 2012 10:40 am

So I am told that you can access your bank account with BCP online. If this is true, I have no clue how to do it.

Has anyone had any luck with this? Do you use your debit card to set up an online account? I am finding the website horribly confusing.

Thanks!

goingnowherefast

Re: online banking at BCP?

Postby goingnowherefast » Mon Jan 23, 2012 10:54 am

Go into the office and they'll create an account for you. You have to go to the ATM to attach your phone. Peruvian banks have some of the most secure online banking interfaces in the world.
sunflower
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby sunflower » Mon Jan 23, 2012 1:39 pm

goingnowherefast wrote:Go into the office and they'll create an account for you. You have to go to the ATM to attach your phone. Peruvian banks have some of the most secure online banking interfaces in the world.

I use BCP online banking all the time and don't understand a word of what you are saying. Enter www.viabcp.com. On the right side you find Ingresa a tus cuentas. Click on Ingresa aqui. Then you have to enter the number of your Debit card and your clave. Everything else is really simple. If you want to do transferencias etc. you need a so called Clave digital. This has to be bought at any BCP agency and when I remember correctly is around S/. 20 or 30.
goingnowherefast

Postby goingnowherefast » Mon Jan 23, 2012 1:54 pm

Yes sunflower is right, I confused BCP with interbank (interbank uses mobile banking that's setup at the ATM).

BCP uses the digital tokens for verification. Just go into the office and if you haven't setup internet banking with them they should take care of you.
sunflower
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby sunflower » Mon Jan 23, 2012 2:34 pm

Interbank as well offers online banking. Here as well enter the number of your debit card and your password and you can get all info on your accounts with them. For transfers between your accounts, payments of Interbank credit cards you just need your password. For transfers to other accounts, paying bills, etc. you need a so called Clave Dinamica which can be obtained at your Interbank agency.
goingnowherefast

Postby goingnowherefast » Mon Jan 23, 2012 2:41 pm

If you use interbank you should use mobile banking for transfers and you wont have to buy the digital token, the mobile banking is free.

http://interbank.com.pe/acercade/canale ... elular.asp

You also need to go to the office first if you don't have internet banking setup.
Jalapenomel
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby Jalapenomel » Tue Jan 24, 2012 12:48 pm

sunflower wrote:
goingnowherefast wrote:Go into the office and they'll create an account for you. You have to go to the ATM to attach your phone. Peruvian banks have some of the most secure online banking interfaces in the world.

I use BCP online banking all the time and don't understand a word of what you are saying. Enter http://www.viabcp.com. On the right side you find Ingresa a tus cuentas. Click on Ingresa aqui. Then you have to enter the number of your Debit card and your clave. Everything else is really simple. If you want to do transferencias etc. you need a so called Clave digital. This has to be bought at any BCP agency and when I remember correctly is around S/. 20 or 30.
I am assuming that when we get our debit card, they will assign us a clave? And this is only to check our account, correct?

In order to do online banking, such as paying rent from BCP account to another BCP account or insurance bill or whatnot, we need to purchase a chip at the bank or at a BCP agency?
sunflower
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby sunflower » Tue Jan 24, 2012 1:08 pm

Yes, when you get your debit card you get as well a clave (4 digits) which normally is used at ATMs. When we got our account quite a while back, we could use this to access online banking for the first time, but were asked at this first session to change the clave to another one with 6 digit. When you open your bank account, just ask if you can use the debit card clave or if they changed it and now have to activate the account and give you another clave. By the way the clave of your debit card and to access online banking can be changed any time and very easy online as well.

Once in your account at online banking you can only check the balance and movements of all your BCP accounts, credit cards. As soon as you want to transfer money from one account to another, pay bills, ... you need this Clave Digital. It's a small device which constantly gives you changing 6 digit numbers. This number has to be entered on the last step of your transfer.
scubagirl01
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby scubagirl01 » Wed Jan 25, 2012 4:51 pm

sunflower wrote:..... When you open your bank account, just ask if you can use the debit card clave or if they changed it and now have to activate the account and give you another clave. ......

Once in your account at online banking you can only check the balance and movements of all your BCP accounts, credit cards. As soon as you want to transfer money from one account to another, pay bills, ... you need this Clave Digital. It's a small device which constantly gives you changing 6 digit numbers. This number has to be entered on the last step of your transfer.

Just wanted to chime in here about getting the internet password for your account. Initially I didn't realize I could access my account online, so many months had passed before I asked about this internet access and I had to do some process at home before returning to the bank to complete the setup. A bit frustrating with the back and forth. However, I think this could have been avoided had I initially informed the BCP agent that I wanted internet access at the time I opened the account.

I would also definitely recommend purchasing the Clave Digital even though it does cost around s/.25 or s/.30 because it makes paying bills, transferring money and even adding Claro minutes to a pre-pay phone possible as mentioned by others. Imagine a world where you didn't have to wait in line to pay bills.......need I say more?!
Serionlv
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby Serionlv » Wed Jan 25, 2012 6:40 pm

I have used BCP online banking for many years and found it secure and reliable. It saved me when I was living in Vegas and could pay all the utilities from there on the apartment. I still pay all my local bills through them. Even when I needed my digital key and a replacement card in the USA they sent the items by delivery and worked with me on the phone. Language was a problem for me...
goingnowherefast

Postby goingnowherefast » Thu Jan 26, 2012 6:34 am

Despite having extremely high security people are still completely undermining account security (emptying accounts). A friend of mine sent me this link this morning. It might be a good idea to only setup the account to make external transfers if absolutely necessary or try to find a medium to pay your bills using credit card or another insured method, because if this happens to you, your money will not be insured and you will take the loss.

http://peru.com/actualidad/vacian-cuent ... icia-36689
sunflower
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby sunflower » Thu Jan 26, 2012 1:19 pm

Things like this unfortunately don't only happen with BCP in Peru, but with other banks around the world. Even with credit and debits cards there is no 100% security. One important thing when doing online banking is surely to protect your computer from viruses and unauthorized access.

Additionally the story in mentioned article sounds a little bit strange. Most transaction, especially to other accounts or paying bills can't be done after 09.00pm with BCP online banking. When you are familiar with the procedure of transferring money or paying bills with BCP, you should know exactly when you have to enter your clave and when your clave digital. The clave digital is only for confirming a transaction and quite surely not for accessing your account. If something is weird or not as usual you should immediately close the page and not type confidential numbers where they don't belong.

Even though you take all possible actions to avoid fraud, there is still the possibility you get scammed. The only thing that bothers me is the comment on how BCP handled the case; assumed the story told is true.
goingnowherefast

Postby goingnowherefast » Thu Jan 26, 2012 2:47 pm

The difference between Peruvian banks and Western banks, is that usually Western banks will insure the losses of this type of event. Canadian banks insure 100% losses from fraudulent online transfers no questions asked. Some American banks do, some don't, but certain laws/measures are currently being pushed so that all will be insured. (most) Western banks also insure losses if your card gets cloned, Peruvian banks will insure losses only up to 1500 USD.

It is not possible for 9.9/10 end users to prevent the type of attack detailed in the article from happening, it's more than simply updating your software and installing antivirus. However, the moral of the story is that the average person was doing exactly as instructed by the bank, and because of following instructions and using services offered they lost almost 2000 soles cash.

If a bank wants to use an insecure medium to carry out daily activities (online/internet banking), they need to insure ALL losses that will inevitably occur (just like they do with credit cards) or the entire concept of modern banking is undermined.

Return to “Expat Information”

Login  •  Register