taca fees?

Answers to your qestions about moving to, and living in, Peru,
doublek278

taca fees?

Postby doublek278 » Fri Feb 17, 2012 4:53 pm

Hi,

I need to buy a Lima-Piura plane ticket. Can I buy a ticket at the promo fee without getting hit with the $178 surcharge? I've heard that charge is only for Lima-Cuzco. Any experiences?

The plane ticket is my best option, but I can't risk a problem in the airport. I have to work the following morning.

chi chi
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: taca fees?

Postby chi chi » Fri Feb 17, 2012 5:41 pm

The fee is for all domestic flights with LAN and TACA. Unless the domestic flight is part of an international flight. For example, I flew from Tarapoto via Lima to Santiago De Chile. In that case, I didn´t have to pay the $178 surcharge.

STARPERU doesn´t charge the surcharge. The say it also on their website.
micatjl
Silver Member
Silver Member

Postby micatjl » Sat Feb 18, 2012 7:25 pm

I knew that Lan charged extra for foreigners but I had no idea that Taca did too. I flew with them twice in January, paid $50 for each trip and was never asked for anything but my passport. This was Lima -Aqp.
americorps
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby americorps » Sat Feb 18, 2012 7:30 pm

Take Star Peru or Peruvian Airlines, Lan and Taca have become more and more agressive in charging more based on nationality.
rama0929
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby rama0929 » Sun Feb 19, 2012 8:56 am

Tossing in another vote for Star Peru.
chi chi
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby chi chi » Sun Feb 19, 2012 11:25 am

americorps wrote:Take Star Peru or Peruvian Airlines, Lan and Taca have become more and more agressive in charging more based on nationality.

The problem is that you can´t go far with STAR and PERUVIAN. They only have domestic flights.
I flew recently with LAN and TACA (on international flights) and they were the cheapest option. (LAN gave us even $1200 as the flight was overbooked and we volutunteered to take then next flight which was only 3 hours later)

STARPERU is a bit more expensive but they offer a lot of flexibility. If you change your flight and if the rate is the same at other date, then they don´t charge you anything. You can also cancel your flight and they will keep the money paid as a credit which you can use for future flights up to 1 year and no penalty is charged for that.
If you miss your flight you pay a no show penalty but the money paid for your ticket is not lost it will be kept as a credit for future flights.
jude
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby jude » Sun Feb 19, 2012 12:51 pm

Last time I checked, which was in November, TACA only charged the extra fee for flights to Cusco.
fanning
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby fanning » Sun Feb 19, 2012 3:44 pm

If you look for a flight on their website, you get a warning that it applies for the 'Promo' rate for flights to wnad from Lima, Cuzco and Puerto Maldonado. On any other flight it doesn't apply. Actually my parents are flying to Chiclayo with Taca with the Promo rate, without problems.

Return to “Expat Information”

Login  •  Register