dual citizenship? american mother, peruvian father.

Answers to your qestions about moving to, and living in, Peru,
charitymasters

dual citizenship? american mother, peruvian father.

Postby charitymasters » Thu Feb 23, 2012 12:00 pm

hello i was wondering if anyone knew anything about dual citizenship and the likes.
i am a legal american citizen, and the father is a legal peruvian citizen. baby will be born in the USA.
does this mean baby will automatically be granted dual citizenship, and or benefits to both countries?
any info greatly appreciated!

koplinfamilia
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: dual citizenship? american mother, peruvian father.

Postby koplinfamilia » Thu Feb 23, 2012 12:03 pm

You must register the baby's birth at your local Peruvian consulate and then after that you can apply for their passport. Better do register the birth there in the States but it can be done here as well.
Integrity Tourism & Transportation
ENTEL 985 059 944
RPM #949 811 404
USA Direct Line (585) 861-3106
http://www.integritytourism.com
pingouin59
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby pingouin59 » Thu Feb 23, 2012 12:05 pm

I suppose you need to go to the nearest Peruvian Consulate to have him registered
VicManu

Postby VicManu » Thu Feb 23, 2012 4:01 pm

A dual citizenship between USA and Peru doesn´t exist. The parents have to choose one of both citizenships, The child would have only one passport. For example a peruvian citizen who apply for the U.S.A. citizenship have to sign an oath of renunciation of his or her peruvian citizenship.
http://www.travel.state.gov/travel/cis_ ... _1753.html

I'm sorry I didn't want to misinform anyone. I wrote my commentary based in an article I read. The Headlight of that one was the same of the Link I posted but obviously It was a different article also I didn´t read the one I posted. My sisters got the U.S. citizenship few years ago and they signed an oath of renunciation of their peruvian citizenship. it's different when a kid of U.S. parents was born in other country and is registered in the U.S. embassy they are allowed to have both nationalities.
Last edited by VicManu on Sun Feb 26, 2012 1:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
MarcoPE
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby MarcoPE » Thu Feb 23, 2012 7:58 pm

VicManu wrote:A dual citizenship between USA and Peru doesn´t exist. The parents have to choose one of both citizenships, The child would have only one passport. For example a peruvian citizen who apply for the U.S.A. citizenship have to sign an oath of renunciation of his or her peruvian citizenship.

Really? Completely incorrect! Read again ... slowly this time.... the article you posted.
windsportinperu
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby windsportinperu » Thu Feb 23, 2012 11:03 pm

Pedro Pablo Kuczynski is a good example of dual-citizenship - peruvian - american
powslut

Postby powslut » Fri Feb 24, 2012 1:57 am

I just registered my son at the Peruvian Consulate and applied for his Peruvian Passport. He was born in the States and is an American Citizen. No issues whatsoever. He will have dual citizenship and two passports.
halfperuvianinlima

Postby halfperuvianinlima » Fri Feb 24, 2012 9:52 am

Hi there,
I am a dual Peruvian/U.S. citizen along with my little brother, mom and grandma. It was really easy to get it done. I have both a Peruvian passport along with a U.S. one and a DNI. I would recommend doing it early, we didn't get ours until I was about to turn 18 which was sort of a pain, but nothing like getting U.S. citizenship. I can't quite remember the details of getting the passport because my mom did all of it, but I can ask her if you want! Also, I went back to the consulate a few years later to get my DNI and it was super easy. Just filled out a few forms and got the I.D. within a few months. It has been great having the dual citizenship and I would say its a must for your child, if they ever want to live or work in Peru it makes life ten million times easier!
zepol96
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby zepol96 » Fri Feb 24, 2012 9:17 pm

I must say this to people with peruvian-american dual citizenship: when you are in Peru...you are peruvian and subjected to peruvian laws as any peruvian would. You can only be an american inside the US Embassy. Conversely, when you are in the US you are considered an american citizen not a peruvian citizen. So, if you get into trouble in Peru the Marines will not come to your rescue, you will be on your own.
Chucky
Silver Member
Silver Member

Postby Chucky » Fri Feb 24, 2012 10:50 pm

VicManu wrote:A dual citizenship between USA and Peru doesn´t exist. The parents have to choose one of both citizenships, The child would have only one passport. For example a peruvian citizen who apply for the U.S.A. citizenship have to sign an oath of renunciation of his or her peruvian citizenship.

Best not to post on such an important topic unless you are certain about the facts. Just went through the process and my son has dual citizenship, two passports, by virtue of my status as a citizen of the U.S. and his mother's status as a citizen of Peru.
charitymasters

Postby charitymasters » Thu Mar 01, 2012 8:52 pm

thank you all for your advice and info!
this is really helpful.
OTHER QUESTION:

WHEN I GO TO APPLY FOR HIS PERUVIAN DNI AND PASSPORT, DOES HIS FATHER NEED TO BE PRESENT?

THIS MIGHT PRESENT A PROBLEM, AS HER FATHER WILL BE IN PERU...

ANY THOUGHTS GREATLY APPRECIATED!
Generra Medina

Postby Generra Medina » Mon Jan 18, 2016 1:58 pm

Hi there.. Was wondering if anyone could tell me the benefits in having my daughter get a Peruvian DNI ?
I'm the American mother and my husband is the Peruvian citizen.

Would I be giving up any right by having her get a DNI ? Could he take her out of the USA without my consent by getting her DNI for her.

Does anyone know ?
Pro's
And Con's ?
sbaustin
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby sbaustin » Mon Jan 18, 2016 2:16 pm

zepol96 wrote:I must say this to people with peruvian-american dual citizenship: when you are in Peru...you are peruvian and subjected to peruvian laws as any peruvian would. You can only be an american inside the US Embassy. Conversely, when you are in the US you are considered an american citizen not a peruvian citizen. So, if you get into trouble in Peru the Marines will not come to your rescue, you will be on your own.

This is actually why the USA government states they don't encourage dual citizenship. http://travel.state.gov/content/travel/ ... ality.html

The U.S. Government recognizes that dual nationality exists but does not encourage it as a matter of policy because of the problems it may cause. Claims of other countries on dual national U.S. nationals may conflict with U.S. law, and dual nationality may limit U.S. Government efforts to assist nationals abroad. The country where a dual national is located generally has a stronger claim to that person's allegiance.

Besides that the other little fun thing even more devious is that a USA citizen must declare their worldwide income. So I believe when your baby is older and is working even if they never lived in the USA they are still supposed to report their earnings and might owe taxes on them!
naturegirl

Postby naturegirl » Wed Jan 20, 2016 12:59 am

Generra Medina wrote:Hi there.. Was wondering if anyone could tell me the benefits in having my daughter get a Peruvian DNI ?
I'm the American mother and my husband is the Peruvian citizen.

Would I be giving up any right by having her get a DNI ? Could he take her out of the USA without my consent by getting her DNI for her.

Does anyone know ?
Pro's
And Con's ?

If someone has an American passport, legally speaking they must enter and leave the US on that passport. In theory, there are rules about traveling alone with one parent, but in the US they don't seem to be enforced as in other places, such as Canada. I have never ever been asked for papers proving that I could travel alone with my daughter, but I'm also a woman. Once an immigration officer asked me my birthday and where I was born and asked if the father knew I was traveling. I had papers, but they didn't ask for them. I'm sure people could lie. I'm not sure if men would have more difficulties. If you're afraid of kidnapping there are steps you can take. Here's some more info. http://theultimateperulist.blogspot.com ... ights.html

If she has a DNI and you get divorced in Peru there might be custody issues, if for example you want to live in the USA and he wants to live in Peru. They take the child into consideration. My daughter has both US and Peruvian citizenship. We live in Korea. I have full legal and physical custody. In the US, if my ex decided to fight it he'd be screwed since my daughter has spent her whole life in Korea, speaks Korean, goes to school here, hasn't seen her birth father for years, etc. She has no ties to Peru, has never been there, and doesn't speak Spanish. A judge wouldn't uproot her from a good home with a loving mother and step-father.

Now if your child spends all their life in Peru, speaks Spanish, has no ties to the US, then the opposite might be true and a US judge might rule that she spends summers in Peru, for example.

That's the US though. I don't know about Peru if you were to fight it. He agreed to sign over custody to me so it wasn't an issue. Find a good lawyer. That's all I can say. And do your research.
cnbenton

Postby cnbenton » Thu Feb 01, 2018 12:12 pm

Hi, all!

Apologies if this is simply repeating a question that has already been answered. I was born in the US to a Peruvian mother and an American father and am wondering what the process is like to obtain Peruvian citizenship now at age 31 (I might be wrong in assuming this, but I think all the examples in the thread were under 18, which apparently makes things easier?).

If anyone has actually gone about this and can comment on it, that would be very much appreciated!
mrsteak
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby mrsteak » Fri Feb 02, 2018 8:01 pm

You do not need to obtain Peruvian citizenship as you have it by birth. You need to register your US birth certificate with RENIEC, they will do the further. Do not forget the apostille and if it is in English language you should translate the the certificate (after the apostille!) into Spanish and also apostille the translation. That should be enough for RENIEC.

Return to “Expat Information”

Login  •  Register