surfing in lima

Answers to your qestions about moving to, and living in, Peru,
xcountry12

surfing in lima

Postby xcountry12 » Wed Feb 29, 2012 10:52 pm

hey I moved to lima a few months ago and been wanting to learn how to surf

anyone here knows how to surf and give lessons or knows anyone that does?

any info would be appreciated, thanks in advance!

thisisluca

Re: surfing in lima

Postby thisisluca » Thu Mar 01, 2012 9:17 am

Omikron
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby Omikron » Thu Mar 01, 2012 12:56 pm

I have a friend that teaches surfing for beginners at the Costa Verde, next to the Rosa Nautica. Her GF speaks perfect English (she works for an American Bank) and she always attends the classes.

The school is called "Hammerhead"

https://www.facebook.com/surfparaprincipiantes
http://www.netvibes.com/surfparaprincipiantes

If you call, you might want to ask for Carla instead, as Juan Manuel might not speak English well.

Mention "Jimmy" as reference and even ExpatPeru, as they have wanted to use this page before to promote their surfing classes.
Last edited by Omikron on Thu Mar 01, 2012 5:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
viernes
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby viernes » Thu Mar 01, 2012 5:24 pm

I go surfing at Makaha by the Rosa Nautica all the time, and pretty much all the guys who teach surfing down there are pretty cool. Though they can be a little pushy trying to get you to choose them. I think lessons with board and wetsuit rental included generally go for about 50 soles down there for a one hour lesson, although I've never actually bought a lesson so that's just based on what I've heard other people down there tell me.

I think if you can usually talk them down from whatever they tell you their price is at first.
xcountry12

Postby xcountry12 » Thu Mar 01, 2012 9:30 pm

thanks for the info!
I gave Juan Manuel a call and he seem pretty friendly and the classes/price seem pretty fair

Sounds good, I'll go check out that beach to get an idea of price ranges and what their classes offer, ideally with all equipment since I don't have a board yet.
But hows the beach at Makaha for a beginner?
chi chi
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby chi chi » Thu Mar 01, 2012 9:48 pm

There´s a surfschool in Barranco.

www.pukanasurf.com
Omikron
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby Omikron » Thu Mar 01, 2012 11:53 pm

xcountry12 wrote:thanks for the info!
I gave Juan Manuel a call and he seem pretty friendly and the classes/price seem pretty fair

Sounds good, I'll go check out that beach to get an idea of price ranges and what their classes offer, ideally with all equipment since I don't have a board yet.
But hows the beach at Makaha for a beginner?

Waves are ok, not that big. The problem is the beach itself, it is not a sandy but a rocky beach so not only it is advisable to wear water shoes, but some skills are needed when falling from the board, as you might end up hitting the rocky base. I have never actually swam in Makaha but the beach is full of people so I guess it isn't that dangerous as it might seem.

Juan Manuel and Carla are really nice people and they always have interesting things to talk about: from Heavy Metal to Geek stuff and Tolkien
viernes
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby viernes » Fri Mar 02, 2012 9:46 am

The waves vary in size all the time....that depends on storms in the pacific, wind, ocean currents. Anytime you enter the ocean you should have respect for it. If you are a good swimmer then you will be fine, but you should know that there is no sport, and very few exercises that can really get you in shape for surfing except surfing and swimming, which means the first few times can be pretty tough....But just keep at it, those guys who give lessons try and help you as much as they can to make it fun and then after just a few weeks you'll have a good start.

Sometimes I actually regret buying a surfboard in Peru...I don't live that close to the beach so I must take a taxi, and its kind of a hassle to lug a board back and forth, plus, once you buy a board, if you ding it(which happens a lot), you have to fix it, or pay to get it fixed which is another hassle. I think that it may have been cheaper to just pay the 10 soles that I know a few of the guys down there will charge me for a board to rent each time. That way i wouldn't have to fix them, and i could take the bus...

wetsuits are essential, cause the water is cold!!!!
xcountry12

Postby xcountry12 » Sat Mar 03, 2012 10:31 am

Sounds great then, I'm pretty excited about learning to surf.. I'll give it a try monday or tuesday
but does the lessons generally include the water shoes as well or is that something you need to get on your own?

yeah thats the problem with buying a board that I was debating about, but probably it'd be better to buy one after I get the hang of it and can ride a smaller board
thats seems pretty cheap, is it easy to find guys that charge you 10 soles for the rental or are they usually friends?
tomasb
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby tomasb » Sat Mar 03, 2012 2:58 pm

Be careful of the sea urchins and their sharp needles. Since the water is not clear, you cannot see the bottom and what may be lurking there. I didn't step on one but my instructor did and he was not wearing booties. Maybe they are only there certain times of the year. Might want to ask.
viernes
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby viernes » Sat Mar 03, 2012 4:55 pm

Water shoes or surf booties are not essential...but it does make the whole experience a little more comfortable... Not just because of the urchins, the rocks can be unpleasant as well, but the urchins are a general cause for concern...

The people who don't use water shoes just learn not to put their feet down. If you think cobblestone beaches like miraflores has are bad, imagine surfing over coral reef...lots of surfers just learn not to put their feet down. personally, i recommend the booties but it is another cost...they rent them down at the beach where they do lessons, but I don't know if its included or extra...

I've rented boards for 10 soles three times down at makaha....and each time it was from a different tent... I wouldn't say we are friends, but we do recognize each other...and generally I just ask if they will rent it for 10 and I tell them I'll come back when I want to rent again...
xcountry12

Postby xcountry12 » Sun Mar 04, 2012 11:58 am

yeah I wouldn't want to experience stepping on a sea urchin on my first surfing experience haha
so I'll consider the shoes to make it a bit more comfortable, or simply not stepping on the floor

That sounds like a pretty sweet deal, so I guess I'll save buying a surfboard for when I get better and in the meantime just rent them, and hopefully I can find guys that'll rent for 10 soles or so, since I'm planning on going often after taking the lessons

thanks for all the info, it was pretty helpful
Kelly

Postby Kelly » Sun Mar 04, 2012 12:15 pm

If stepping on a sea urchin feels anything like stepping on a sting ray, I highly advise against! Hurt worse than breaking my leg.
chi chi
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby chi chi » Mon Mar 05, 2012 4:53 am

Kelly wrote:If stepping on a sea urchin feels anything like stepping on a sting ray, I highly advise against! Hurt worse than breaking my leg.

Sea urchins aren't that bad. Here in La Selva, we have big snakes, pirañas and cocodriles. A tarantula recently got into my wardrobe.
jcn7vc
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby jcn7vc » Wed Mar 07, 2012 11:12 am

chi chi wrote:
Kelly wrote:If stepping on a sea urchin feels anything like stepping on a sting ray, I highly advise against! Hurt worse than breaking my leg.

Sea urchins aren't that bad. Here in La Selva, we have big snakes, pirañas and cocodriles. A tarantula recently got into my wardrobe.

Everything is always worse/better in La Selva, eh chi chi? Must be the most EXTREME place in Peru!
-Joe

"A man's character may be learned from the adjectives which he habitually uses in conversation." -Mark Twain

http://www.flickr.com/jcn7vc
[email protected]

Postby [email protected] » Fri Mar 16, 2012 10:49 am

Looking to buy wet suit. Is full suit necessary in summer months? Recommended places to shop?
viernes
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby viernes » Fri Mar 16, 2012 7:50 pm

It is necessary if you are like me and not really a fan of cold water, but if you can handle it then no.

FIrst, you should know that the water temperature depends on the swell direction. Waves come in swells. Sometimes we have south swells, when the direction of the waves come from the south. Sometimes, the are West, North, or a combination of the three. Depending on that direction the temperature of the water changes. Of course it also depends on the air temperature, but its important to remember that just because its hot outside, it doesn't mean the water is warm (although you can probably stand much colder water when its hot and sunny).

Sometimes I go out at makaha and it feels like the water is 55 degrees, and other days it feels like 65-70....It's almost deceptive, but I also think its warmer later in the day.

If you want a new suit, you probably have to buy it in a quicksilver, ripcurl, or billabong store in a mall here. Or if you want to support peruvian brands, there is a good one called BOZ, and i hear they have a store in Miraflores. Also there is a surf shop in Miraflores called Klimax, they probably sell suits too.

although if you want a good deal, go to the USA! wetsuits (at least the first three brands i mentioned) seem to be cheaper there.
JamesJ

Postby JamesJ » Tue Apr 10, 2012 6:27 pm

makaha's waves are some of the most mellow a beginner could ask for, even if the waves are big everywhere the inside at makaha will have small soft waves. thats why thee are so may surf schools there. the rocks can be annoying and there are definitely urchins but its not bad enough to worry about. stepping on an urchin(at least the ones there) is about the equivalent to getting a splinter in your foot... you could also check out Barranquito... there are some surf schools there and the beach has sand... good luck

Return to “Expat Information”

Login  •  Register