Applying for a visitor visa to Canada.

Answers to your qestions about moving to, and living in, Peru,
curlyguy18
Gold Member
Gold Member

Applying for a visitor visa to Canada.

Postby curlyguy18 » Thu Mar 08, 2012 9:15 pm

Hi forum.

I am trying to visit a friend in Toronto this winter (summer in Canada) and I was wondering if there are expats here whose friends or spouses have applied and obtained a visitor's visa to Canada.

Basically, I'd like to go to Toronto for 2 weeks and I have a friend that is willing to write an invitation letter (and notarise it) stating he will provide a place for me to say and food. I also have enough funds to show the Embassy I can afford this trip. My employer could write a letter saying I'm going there on holiday and plan to return to Lima. I can also provide an itinerary and I have got an American and and English visa that show I have been to both countries and back to Peru when it was time to come back.

Would this be sufficient evidence? Is there anything my friend or I should show? I'd really appreciate opinions of those who have been through this.

Regards and Happy Int'l Women's Day!

Scottperu411
Silver Member
Silver Member

Re: Applying for a visitor visa to Canada.

Postby Scottperu411 » Fri Mar 09, 2012 12:30 am

Sorry. If you are a Peruvian citizen, it won't happen.
While living in Trujillo for 6 months I made good friends. Upon return to Canada I wanted to have a friend come visit. There was no way. Especially since April 2011 the rules got even tighter.
I ended up getting a work visa for her and she has been her for 6months.

Anyways, unless u are a member of clergy, athlete, government, or anything else on the list, the door is closed :( Abuuu........ :(

It kinda sucks. And work visas are only 1 year now, and don't even mention residency....that's a battle !
curlyguy18
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby curlyguy18 » Fri Mar 09, 2012 2:23 pm

How did you manage to get her a work visa? You can PM me if you wish.
canadiantraveller
Silver Member
Silver Member

Postby canadiantraveller » Fri Mar 09, 2012 4:21 pm

Saying something like "if you're peruvian citizen, you won't get it" is unhelpful and not true. It may seem like that way from people who have been denied, but it is not the case.

You just need to fill out the requirements on the website and make sure in those letters they are detailed as possible stating the specific things they are asking for. Anything extra to prove you will come back to Peru at the end is always helpful.

When I got engaged to my wife, we applied to go to Canada and I provided the letter, a letter from my family inviting us as well and a letter from our employer (on top of all the other listed requirements) and we were approved a week later. My wife had never been outside of South America and did not have a high salary.

Last year a friend of mine from Canada visited and met a girl here. They hit it off but he had to return to Canada at the end of his vacation. They went through the process to apply for a visitor visa for her to go to Canada and she was denied. He then attempted again, getting a letter from his family and inviting her and she was approved.

I also have many Peruvian friends who have been approved for a visa after second and third times being denied.

It's a stressful process as there is no way to ensure you will receive the visa or not, you just gotta follow the steps and hope it works out. It really is all about convincing the person looking at it you have the intent to return.

My best piece of advice is apply early, you have 3 months from when you apply. Try to apply early and if denied you still have time to provide more documentation and apply again. At first I thought that if you are denied once you dont' stand a chance trying again, but this is definitely not true...review the information, try to provide more.

All of these examples are from the past couple years and hopefully will help you out.
curlyguy18
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby curlyguy18 » Fri Mar 09, 2012 4:57 pm

Thanks canadiantraveller. That is most reassuring. When your parents wrote the invitation letter, did they have to show proof of funds or proof of address? And did they notarise the letter?
canadiantraveller
Silver Member
Silver Member

Postby canadiantraveller » Fri Mar 09, 2012 10:01 pm

If i remember correctly in my case I had my parents write the letter on a word document, in the letter we provided contact phone and email if further information was required as well as scanned passport copies of my parents to accompany the letter.

They didn´t show proof of funds, simply stated that while my fiance was in canada, she would have no expenses as she would be staying in their house. We provided the exact address as well on the letter but I don´t think we gave them proof.

Like I said, if you have further documents or provide further information (ie more detail) I think that will only help your case.

Good luck
Scottperu411
Silver Member
Silver Member

Postby Scottperu411 » Sat Mar 10, 2012 2:07 am

Sorry. But I think you will find it more difficult then stated. My info is as of 2011.
http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/visit/visas.asp
So Peruvians need a visa to visit.

If you find another way, all the best to you and I hope you do. Spending any amount of time in Canada with a friend from Peru will be excellent. Mera is loving it here. Not so much the weather. But nonetheless :)

As for how I got her a work visa (Canada only issue 1yr work visas, you can renew a total of 4yr max, then have to leave for 4yrs) I had to first get a LMO (labour market opinion). This basically says the job in question can not be filled by a Canadian and you can hire a foreign worker. That in itself is tricky!!! A nanny job has other rules. I was not doing a nanny job.
Then she has to show proof of funds.
Translate documents.
Send application to Lima.
There was a real possibility that Canada wanted a specific language test, TOEFL. (seems its hit and miss)
So she did it via IBT. Internet based test. There went another $120 or so.

Didn't need it in the end. Lol
She did her interview in Lima.
Ran around to doctors and stuff.
Two weeks later it was done.

By far, the hardest part is getting LMO. As of April 2011 things got way tighter. I was denied the first time.
(FYI. I am also the employer)

And now that August is the expiration of visa, I want to extend it.....well you gotta do the LMO thing all over again. Nuts!!

I truly wish you the best amigo.
rama0929
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby rama0929 » Sat Mar 10, 2012 10:16 am

General rule of thumb is that documentation from others is fine, but everything falls on the shoulders of the applicant; it's up to them to pass the interview.

There doesn't seem to be a "formula" (for lack of a better word) to guarantee a positive outcome, and it may be random, subject to the whims of the interviewing agent.
curlyguy18
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby curlyguy18 » Sat Mar 10, 2012 10:26 am

and it may be random, subject to the whims of the interviewing agent.

That's very true. This seems to be the case mainly when you're applying for a tourist visa. When I went to England and the US it was for work and I had a company sponsor me and perhaps that's why the embassies didn't reject my applications. This time, though, I just wanna go to Canada to see friends.

Anyway, I will give this a try soon and let you all know how it went!
rama0929
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby rama0929 » Sat Mar 10, 2012 10:48 am

curlyguy18 wrote:
Anyway, I will give this a try soon and let you all know how it went!

Please do!
itsallgood
Silver Member
Silver Member

Postby itsallgood » Mon Mar 12, 2012 8:51 pm

Just for interest sake, Canada now has a Visa Application Center in Lima. The turn around for my wife was one week and no interview. Seems dealing with them in person has advantages. It's not free and they will do the entire process with/for you - forms etc and guide you through the entire process. They also take care of delivering it to the embassy and the embassy knows that if it came from them (VAC) it is complete.

They run on Canadian business hours as well!

Their site http://www.csc-cvac.com/ select Peru in the Location drop down list.

We did ours in Jan 2012 - they gave my wife a multi visit visa.

Disclaimer - I know everyone's experience may be different.
curlyguy18
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby curlyguy18 » Wed Mar 14, 2012 9:27 pm

Hi itsallgood.

I was aware of the VAC services and I thought about going through them BUT they seem to charge 180 soles! Not exactly loose change in my pocket!
teamoperu
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby teamoperu » Thu Mar 15, 2012 9:01 am

Here is some data, sorry if the table doesn't quite come out linear, sort of a 80% success rate, on a self selecting group (that is, people with reasonable hopes of success appying):

Temporary Resident Visa Applications Received & Processed in Lima
From 2006 - September 2011
Calendar Year Applications Received Approved Failed Withdrawn
Cases Persons Cases Persons Cases Persons Cases Persons
2006 7599 9061 5,473 6,607 1,796 2,060 140 176
2007 7373 8821 5,523 6,682 1,700 1,965 90 105
2008 7291 8661 5,477 6,540 1,754 2,036 124 153
2009 6463 7729 4,547 5,501 1,781 2,070 73 85
2010 7868 9231 6,101 7,242 1,679 1,898 694 1,030
2011 Sept. 6492 6492 5,358 5,359 1,076 1,076 28 30

Data source: nim_caips_temp_residnt_e as of January 02, 2012
Data compiled by: OPS-Stats
Request # OPS-2012-0150
curlyguy18
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby curlyguy18 » Fri Mar 16, 2012 11:12 am

yeah, that didn't come out very linear and it's a bit hard to read :(
teamoperu
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby teamoperu » Fri Mar 16, 2012 11:22 am

well, so sorry, I am technology deficient, feel free to reformat it and re-post :D

Return to “Expat Information”

Login  •  Register