Is living in Lima more expensive than living in US ?

Answers to your qestions about moving to, and living in, Peru,
windsportinperu
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby windsportinperu » Sun Mar 11, 2012 3:43 pm

I have never lived in US, but the question is for everyone who would like to give an answer..

A side-by-side answer comparing cost of electrictiy, water, renting an appartment, food, transportation, health care, education for the children, entertainments, airplanes, etc, etc.

It is a wide question, but maybe comparing the place where you lived before in US vs the place where you live now in Lima.

rama0929
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: Is living in Lima more expensive than living in US ?

Postby rama0929 » Sun Mar 11, 2012 4:14 pm

It depends. Lima may be more or less expensive than the US depending on region because of any number of factors.

Rochester is different from New York City, which is different from San Diego.

Personally, WRT salaries and expenses, I believe it's all relative.
Kelly

Postby Kelly » Sun Mar 11, 2012 5:34 pm

Just comparing rent, my rent here is less than the rent I paid there, and I have a much more spacious house here. But it's hard to compare, because there I had a huge yard - nearly 100 linear meters from the road to the back fence - while here I've got about 100 square meters in total, and that's pretty big by Lima standards.

I think that it's quite possible to live for much less here - but the standard of living would NOT be the same standard that you had in the US. When I first moved here, we lived for about $500/month (no rent). But it was in 2 room house with unfinished floors, walls and ceilings. Not everyone would be willing or able to live that way. But if you have to do it, it can be done.
falconagain
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby falconagain » Sun Mar 11, 2012 6:43 pm

How much money you have will determine where you live.
Still you cannot compare anything now between the US and Peru
because prices are currently changing. We have an increase in
the amount paid for supermarket products, meaning that people
will pay for food in the U.S double or triple (maybe even more) that
what they paid in 2011. This will create an adjustment off real estate
rental and sale prices (in different proportions at different speeds).
Meaning that places that were renting for 1200 on 2011, will rent
for 800 and the properties with lower rents will adjust accordingly.
Also the gas prices are changing every week, how dramatic are the
changes in prices. In the year 2003-2004 I just to have a Chevrolet
Cavalier for my commuting needs, my monthly gas expense was in
the amount of $120 average. Today (2012) if I used the same car, I would
need to speed only on gasoline a grand total of $280 to $300 in
mileage. Now this is a 4 door sedan with a small engine. An SUV
must consume at least a $1000 of gas only on a monthly basis.
oneMore

Postby oneMore » Sun Mar 11, 2012 10:18 pm

To answer your question...YES, YES, YES!
We covered this topic many time before so I am not getting into it.
MarcoPE
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby MarcoPE » Sun Mar 11, 2012 10:29 pm

oneMore wrote:To answer your question...YES, YES, YES!

I couldn't agree more! and when you take the income differentials into the equation, it is even worse and I consider myself to be a pretty frugal shopper ... Gamarra for clothes and Villa El Salvador for furniture and comparison shopping for the cheapest appliances ... with children, it is even worse!
susita83
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby susita83 » Mon Mar 12, 2012 7:28 am

I think it totally depends too. If you try to live like an American, with all the conveniences of back home... then you're probably going to spend the same and/or more. Living in NY with 2 full-time salaries coming in, we can swing a starbucks coffee a day if we wanted to (although I'd prefer a 7-11 or Dunkin Donuts coffee any day). Like my husband says though when we're in Peru, "who the hell in their right mind is going to spend s./18 on a Starbucks? LOCAZO!" Like I tell him, a gringa, that's who! :lol: And you're damn right I buy one when I'm there.

And supermarkets vs. mercados, department stores vs. gamarra, chain restaurants vs. menú... you get what I'm saying.
susita83
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby susita83 » Mon Mar 12, 2012 7:29 am

MarcoPE wrote:
oneMore wrote:To answer your question...YES, YES, YES!

I couldn't agree more! and when you take the income differentials into the equation, it is even worse and I consider myself to be a pretty frugal shopper ... Gamarra for clothes and Villa El Salvador for furniture and comparison shopping for the cheapest appliances ... with children, it is even worse!

Yes, income differentials is a problem... my answer was assuming the same income you have in the U.S.
tomsax
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby tomsax » Mon Mar 12, 2012 9:24 am

I don't know the US but I agree that how expensive Lima is depends on whether you try and live like you live back home or whether you adapt. It's not only at what standard of living you want but also just adjusting to what is cheap in Peru.

I find when I go to Peru it takes me a while to adjust to buying food that is typical and therefore cheap. At the beginning I tend to try to buy food that is cheap in the UK but very expensive (relatively) there. Examples are fruit juice in cartons, breakfast cereals, good ham, chedder cheese, good yogurt. After a while you learn eat more Peruvian and your shopping bill goes right down.
Tom
Kelly

Postby Kelly » Mon Mar 12, 2012 1:55 pm

Our total income in Peru as a family is less than my single person income was back home, but we live more comfortably here than I did alone there. We have a larger home (5 bed 3bath compared to 2 bed 1 bath), 2 cars, kids in private school . I'm quite certain I couldn't do that back in the US on the amount of money we currently make.

The health care alone was killing me back there. That's one area where Lima is leaps and bounds cheaper than the US.

Food is cheaper unless you buy imported stuff at the grocery stores. I can get a pork tenderloin here for $4! At home it's at least double that price. I feed my family of 4 here on less than my sister spends on 2 back in the states.
americorps
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby americorps » Tue Mar 13, 2012 12:06 am

in a full budget comparison, not just bits and pieces, there is no way Lima is more expensive than the US.

I have lived in both Kansas, with a pretty low cost of Living and in San Diego and Washington, DC with a high cost of living.

Even the lowest cost of living in Kansas, my money goes so much farther here.

If you pick and chose particular items, you can make the figures appear any way you want, but when you pull the full budget, Lima wins hands down.
chi chi
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby chi chi » Tue Mar 13, 2012 12:45 am

The EURO and the dollar are sinking quicker than the Titanic so the price differences are getting smaller every day.
jcn7vc
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby jcn7vc » Tue Mar 13, 2012 5:47 pm

I think there are places in the US where property values will allow you to have a bigger, more comfortable place. One such place is Northeastern Arkansas, where I lived for a while. I remember a new engineer moving in to a 3 bed, 2.5 bath ranch house under 5 years old and still being able to afford to install a below ground pool for around $200K. Gas is much cheaper there, and food and energy is also lower compared to the rest of the US.

Now compare your TOTAL cost of living, and you'd probably be at the same as living comfortably in Lima. So you just have to decide which is better for you: Rural Arkansas or Lima? :lol:
-Joe

"A man's character may be learned from the adjectives which he habitually uses in conversation." -Mark Twain

http://www.flickr.com/jcn7vc
chi chi
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby chi chi » Tue Mar 13, 2012 5:54 pm

jcn7vc wrote:Now compare your TOTAL cost of living, and you'd probably be at the same as living comfortably in Lima. So you just have to decide which is better for you: Rural Arkansas or Lima? :lol:

I'd rather live in rural Arkansas then. Clean air, no chorros, no fumones and probably friendlier people.
If I could get a workvisa or a job that pays cash under the table then I'll be heading there today.
renodante
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby renodante » Tue Mar 13, 2012 6:02 pm

Answer: NO

in fact, it's the bane of my existence. i'm horrible about money, but i'm even worse about it here, because my mentality is always "this dinner would cost me 1/3 at home, why not, i'll get a bottle of wine too, even with that it's STILL cheaper than home."

that inner monologue goes with everything i spend money on. the result: barely saving money when by now i could have amassed a small fortune.
seb2010
Silver Member
Silver Member

Postby seb2010 » Wed Mar 14, 2012 4:57 pm

my opinion - YES

obviously it depends on the lifestyle you choose, and which city we're talking about in the US. My comparsion is Dallas, Texas, and I'm pretty darn sure that I would be in a nicer house, with a nicer car, shopping at Whole Foods and sending my kids to good public schools, and probably paying less than what we pay here. When I get sentimental, I go on real estate websites and see what we could have bought in Dallas for what we paid for our place a year ago and what we could buy now for what it's worth. It's sometimes a bit upsetting.

here we're planning to spend $500+ per month on schools for our kids, whereas in the US they would probably go to public schools. Food is more expensive there, but that's about it....gas, clothes, food, cars, airplane tickets, anything imported and of quality (which is pretty much everything)....all more expensive here. To fly to the US you're looking to spend at least $600....and that's a cheap fare! For my family, I'm pretty sure we spend more here than what we would spend there....oh yeah and make less money!! Why do I live here then is probably the next question....because there are great opportunities here. We're in a booming market, in a booming region. As long as Humala doesn't do anything stupid, the country should continue on the up and up and hopefully we can all benefit.
chi chi
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby chi chi » Wed Mar 14, 2012 7:50 pm

If the dollar keeps seeking like now then soon the US will be cheaper than Peru.

The US is already very cheap compared to Europe. I was in Washington DC last year and was amazed how far I could stretch my EUROS.
Prices in the US are like in Eastern Europe. Cheap and things are good too. And the people are nice.
Kelly

Postby Kelly » Wed Mar 14, 2012 11:22 pm

here we're planning to spend $500+ per month on schools for our kids, whereas in the US they would probably go to public schools.

Don't forget to compare that to the cost of your property taxes and state income taxes that paid for your kid's public schools... I'm spending $250/month to put two kids in private school in Lima, and I feel it's far better than public school in US, AND at $2500 for 10 months classes, cheaper than the property taxes I paid on my house in Florida. My property tax here in Lima is only about S/.300, so even combined with the cost of school, it's cheaper than what I would be "paying" for public school in the US.
susita83
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby susita83 » Thu Mar 15, 2012 7:44 am

Kelly wrote:
here we're planning to spend $500+ per month on schools for our kids, whereas in the US they would probably go to public schools.

Don't forget to compare that to the cost of your property taxes and state income taxes that paid for your kid's public schools... I'm spending $250/month to put two kids in public school, and I feel it's far better than public school in US, AND at $2500 for 10 months classes, cheaper than the property taxes I paid on my house in Florida. My property tax here in Lima is only about S/.300, so even combined with the cost of school, it's cheaper than what I would be "paying" for public school in the US.

You make an excellent point. Here in NY our property tax is 8000+ and going up, and it's a 3BR ranch with 1/4 acre of property so it's nothing fancy. Here, people rent their basements out just to make their mortgage/tax/homeowners payments. :shock: However, I rant and rave about the public schools all the time here, I absolutely love them. We're lucky to have quality teachers and administrators in our district who really care about the kids, and LOTS of parent involvement.

I have friends in other areas/states that aren't so happy with theirs and they pay close to what we pay in property tax so I can definetely see where you're coming from.
seb2010
Silver Member
Silver Member

Postby seb2010 » Thu Mar 15, 2012 12:16 pm

Kelly wrote:

Don't forget to compare that to the cost of your property taxes and state income taxes that paid for your kid's public schools....

Yes, excellent point. Just did the calculations (based on my parents' propriety taxes in Dallas) and just with one child, I'm paying about $1000 more per year in Lima on schools at 2011 school prices, (not including what we pay in propriety taxes here), and I'm not factoring in the high priced matriculation fee, which is a one off, but it's a significant fee.
renodante
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby renodante » Thu Mar 15, 2012 6:53 pm

i'm totally dumbfounded how someone can say it's more expensive here. i'm horrible with money and spend like a drunken sailor but still spend substantially less than even Gainesville florida, when i lived there.

i guess not having kids helps.
rama0929
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby rama0929 » Thu Mar 15, 2012 7:00 pm

renodante wrote:

It helps a lot...
renodante
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby renodante » Thu Mar 15, 2012 7:18 pm

note to self: get that vasectomy i've been putting off
RICHARDandNORA
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby RICHARDandNORA » Thu Mar 15, 2012 7:45 pm

That is so funny!!!!!
susita83
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby susita83 » Fri Mar 16, 2012 10:17 am

renodante wrote:i guess not having kids helps.

Yes, those lil' buggers are expensive :lol: but worth every penny (or centimo)!
captsirl
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby captsirl » Fri Mar 16, 2012 10:30 am

Don't forget to compare that to the cost of your property taxes and state income taxes that paid for your kid's public schools... I'm spending $250/month to put two kids in private school in Lima, and I feel it's far better than public school in US, AND at $2500 for 10 months classes, cheaper than the property taxes I paid on my house in Florida. My property tax here in Lima is only about S/.300, so even combined with the cost of school, it's cheaper than what I would be "paying" for public school in the US.[/quote]

Property Tax
After being here 4 years . I sure am glad we have property taxes back home. Collecting those taxes have gone to a lot of good and kept dead beats from dwelling in a home that cant afford to maintain as well as the rest of us. Therefor bringing down the value of our investment. I love to fix up homes but who wants to make the investment when some riffraff is living across the street in a broken down home covered in graffiti. I rent here in San Miguel, One morning I noticed graffiti on the front of this house. I painted over it before noon.
seb2010
Silver Member
Silver Member

Postby seb2010 » Fri Mar 16, 2012 3:54 pm

renodante wrote:i'm totally dumbfounded how someone can say it's more expensive here. i'm horrible with money and spend like a drunken sailor but still spend substantially less than even Gainesville florida, when i lived there.

Of course one can live on and spend less money here than in the US, but it all comes down to your chosen lifestyle. And yes, not having kids helps the budget....
renodante
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby renodante » Fri Mar 16, 2012 4:12 pm

seb2010 wrote:
renodante wrote:i'm totally dumbfounded how someone can say it's more expensive here. i'm horrible with money and spend like a drunken sailor but still spend substantially less than even Gainesville florida, when i lived there.

Of course one can live on and spend less money here than in the US, but it all comes down to your chosen lifestyle. And yes, not having kids helps the budget....

but that's what I'm saying. my lifestyle is WAY beyond what it was in the states, and i spend substantially less money. i spend less here for what i spent on a very average lifestyle there.
seb2010
Silver Member
Silver Member

Postby seb2010 » Sat Mar 17, 2012 11:03 am

[quote=
but that's what I'm saying. my lifestyle is WAY beyond what it was in the states, and i spend substantially less money. i spend less here for what i spent on a very average lifestyle there.[/quote]

We must have different priorities then. The only things that for me are cheaper in Lima than in the US are: domestic help, and food and drink. As I already mentioned, we could get substantially more in Dallas, Texas for what we paid for our apt here (I don't know about rental prices), the cars that we have purchased would have cost us about $15k less in the US, gas prices are way more $$ here, furniture!! We are furnishing our place now and it's a lot....in Dallas, I would have gone to IKEA for many of the things we're having to pay carpenters to make (it's not the carpenters that are expensive, but the fabric and if you need someone to help you design...that's pricey), also as previously mentioned, the most well known schools are somewhere around $9-10k to enter plus around $800-$1200 per month, vacationing outside of Peru is expensive....clothes shopping here I think is a rip off....baby gear in Peru is at least 20%-30% more expensive here than what you will find in the US for exactly the same item.

If I were single with no kids, I can imagine life being way cheaper, but building a life in Peru, in my opinion, especially one that mimics my life in the US, is very $$$$$; however, it's more convenient, and I'm hugely grateful for that.

Regarding schools, I think it's worth the money because I do believe that my kids will have a much better education than what I had in a public school in a Dallas suburb. The trick will be to get them to want to go to university in the US. :)
Kelly

Postby Kelly » Sat Mar 17, 2012 11:31 am

the most well known schools are somewhere around $9-10k to enter plus around $800-$1200 per month,

Compare that to the most well known private schools in the US.
seb2010
Silver Member
Silver Member

Postby seb2010 » Sat Mar 17, 2012 11:56 am

Kelly wrote:
the most well known schools are somewhere around $9-10k to enter plus around $800-$1200 per month,

Compare that to the most well known private schools in the US.

Yes! I know! With that said, you should also compare the average eduction level of a person from a public school in the US to that of person from a public school in Peru.
Kelly

Postby Kelly » Sat Mar 17, 2012 12:56 pm

I agree. The public schools here are a farce, although there are kids that come out of them with some good skills. Pretty much all the public schools here that I've seen (in Lima, anyway) can be compared to the worst of the inner city schools in the US.

But you don't have to go to the extremes. You don't have to pay $1000 a month to get a good education here, and a lot of people seem to think that this is so.

I've heard extremely good things about Nival A in Surco.

Colegio Trilce has campuses around Lima and a very good reputation. We were going to put the boys there, but I wanted smaller class sizes. Depending on the campus, it's around $150-225 month.

Circulo de Ingeniera - where my boys are now - about $125/month, with an excellent curriculum. (sorry, they don't have a website)

Friendship High School in San Isidro - love this school, almost went here instead of CdI, about $150/month.

My point is that when you're comparing prices, it's not black or white in each case. if you're in the US and want to eat all imported foods, your grocery bill is going to be much higher. Same here - if you want to keep eating all the same things you're used to from home, you're going to pay a lot more for all the imported stuff.

Gasoline is more expensive here - buy a car that's converted to LPG and save money.

If you want to put your kid in one of the most expensive schools in the country, it's most likely going to be more expensive than back home, unless you also had your kids in an upscale private school. But choose one of the mid-tier schools, the prices are quite affordable and your kids still get a very good education.
susita83
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby susita83 » Sat Mar 17, 2012 5:20 pm

Kelly, what's the price difference between LPG & regular gasoline? This will be something serious to keep in mind when we buy our minivan!
Kelly

Postby Kelly » Sat Mar 17, 2012 7:08 pm

susita83 wrote:Kelly, what's the price difference between LPG & regular gasoline? This will be something serious to keep in mind when we buy our minivan!

According to my husband, you spend about half on LPG that you would on gasoline to cover the same number of kilometers. (yr mileage may vary, of course. :) )

Return to “Expat Information”

Login  •  Register