Need therapy?

Answers to your qestions about moving to, and living in, Peru,
MarcoPE
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: Need therapy?

Postby MarcoPE » Sun Mar 11, 2012 11:17 pm

On rare occasions I am wrong :lol: ; however, my guess (and it is just a guess) is that you won't have much success here with a psychotherapy practice. Legally, you will need to take on many tasks to be considered "licensed to practice" here in Peru - that entails certifications, translations, and an entire process by a board of specialty to certify your training and credentials. Once complete, you can practice but if english is your only language, and though many of us expats are nuts :roll: , I doubt you will find the revenue from a few expats suitable to cover the costs for an even remotely decent lifestyle.... this is just my personal opinion. I do wish you the best of luck however.

chi chi
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby chi chi » Sun Mar 11, 2012 11:36 pm

I am agree with MarcoPe. Before setting up a practise you will have to go to a papermill before you can set up a practise and probably have to sit exams. If you don't speak Spanish then you will get no chance.

Most expats make little money and work hard for it so they won't pay you a lot either.
captsirl
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby captsirl » Mon Mar 12, 2012 7:25 am

7 out of the 10 voices in my head say. Marco and Chi Chi are correct.
seb2010
Silver Member
Silver Member

Postby seb2010 » Mon Mar 12, 2012 4:35 pm

I have to disagree with the previous posters. You could do very well. There are few English speaking therapists and the ones that speak English charge a FORTUNE! I was seeing a therapist for a little over a year and paid $100 per session. Then she wanted to up it to $120. I decided to stop because I didn't need it, and now I'm looking to go again. I'm getting quotes of 300-320 SOLES per session and I can't get in to see them!! No one is available! So, please come! I'll be your first patient. :)
inscop
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby inscop » Tue Mar 13, 2012 5:18 pm

Personally Doc, I think you would have to be CRAZY to stay in San Fran. My wife is dragging me up there for CEs next month and I guarantee you I will be kicking and screaming the entire way.

If you move to Lima and get hooked up with the appropriate licenses and stuff, I'm sure everyone on here would love to hear the story of how it all went down. Maybe you could even set it up to have a complete ExPat medical center. I would have loved to have had one when I traveled to Peru just after my "marcapaso" implant and it started oozing. Thankfully, Clinica GoodHope fixed me up with a good cardiologist and fixed me. I know many ExPats would rather pay a higher price and see someone fluent in English. Likewise with guys in your profession.

To get rolling, you might even consider something that does not require licensure such as a life coach (I think someone mentioned that.). Now the only problem is getting you there with legal papers.
inscop
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby inscop » Tue Mar 13, 2012 5:19 pm

By the way, think my icon may indicate a need for therapy? hic.
chi chi
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby chi chi » Tue Mar 13, 2012 5:47 pm

seb2010 wrote:I have to disagree with the previous posters. You could do very well. There are few English speaking therapists and the ones that speak English charge a FORTUNE! I was seeing a therapist for a little over a year and paid $100 per session. Then she wanted to up it to $120. I decided to stop because I didn't need it, and now I'm looking to go again. I'm getting quotes of 300-320 SOLES per session and I can't get in to see them!! No one is available! So, please come! I'll be your first patient. :)

Now I understand why those ''become a psychologist in 1 month'' self study or online courses are so popular. They only cost between 10 and 35 euros and you can make so much money.

And you can work from home or visit customers at home so no investment at all.

Return to “Expat Information”

Login  •  Register