Thoughts on Peru

Answers to your qestions about moving to, and living in, Peru,
bobg
Gold Member
Gold Member

Thoughts on Peru

Postby bobg » Wed Mar 21, 2012 10:06 am

I have come back to Peru after two years away, usually we come yearly so it's more difficult to see the changes. I am impressed with the cleanliness the traffic is not as bad, the air is better, not as many old clunkers on the road, new shopping centers,of coarse the food, and every where there are less people smoking. Good progress indeed, what I do find to be to be disturbing is the price of EVERYTHING !
Food has doubled, taxis , gas, I am sure the cost of living is up. We bought our apartment 6 years ago, now it's doubled Peru is not the bargain it used to be ,people should realize this before they think about moving. Anyone have a opinion ?

Lloyd007
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: Thoughts on Peru

Postby Lloyd007 » Wed Mar 21, 2012 12:23 pm

You're right.

I bought a small apartment 7 years ago on the Malecon. It more than quadrupuled and we sold it just before Christmas. We bought somewhere 3 times the size of the Malecon depa and only for a little extra dosh (adding to the sale price), but 3 streets back from the Malecon, almost in the same area.

Food is up a lot, especially in supermarkets but regular markets aren't too bad.

I haven't seen a very big rise in taxi fares, maybe a little, but nothing too drastic like food and housing.

Traffic... ooooh, the traffic. I think it only ever gets worse and more congested all the time, everyday seems to be worse although you may be right about air quality as many now run on natural gas and not diesel/petrol. Buses and combi's are being slowly upgraded to newer models too which is excellent. I think there's a lot less horn honking than there used to be.
bobg
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby bobg » Wed Mar 21, 2012 2:33 pm

Yes I have the same thoughts we bought a apartment in Chacarilla front to a beautiful park I enjoy sitting on the patio and taking in all the sights, I rent my PARKING space for 250 soles a month. Taxis to Miraflores used to be 4-5 soles now 10 and up, seems like everything starts at 4 soles, from making a copy of a key to buying a small alafore . Yes the city is greatly improved, and improved the environment.
chi chi
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby chi chi » Wed Mar 21, 2012 3:49 pm

House prices are for sure gone up a lot. But it happens also now that buyers offer more than the asking price.

I bought my house in Tarapoto for 25000 soles. Invested another 10000 soles for nice floors, windows, garden and some other extras. I've put it up for sale at 60000 soles.

Some gringo from Forth Worth in Texas came along and offered me 45000 dollares. I don't know if he thought the price was in dollares or he just wanted to spend that amount of money on a house.

We went to el notario with the paperwork, my gf with her DNI and the buyer with his pasport. He deposited the money cash in my account and got a voucher from the bank. And the paperwork was completed within an hour.
We are now looking to buy a terreno where we can build a new home.

Some prices are gone down. Motorbikes. The price of motorbikes is calculated in dollars and because the dollar is going down, so do the prices of motorbikes. Fuel prices are gone up a bit.
bobg
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby bobg » Wed Mar 21, 2012 4:00 pm

Ya your right about the only things going are the Dollar and price of Chinese cars .
rama0929
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby rama0929 » Wed Mar 21, 2012 7:01 pm

chi chi wrote:Some gringo from Forth Worth in Texas came along and offered me 45000 dollares. I don't know if he thought the price was in dollares or he just wanted to spend that amount of money on a house.

Why didn't you ask?
delboy

Postby delboy » Thu Mar 22, 2012 10:55 am

rama0929 wrote:
chi chi wrote:Some gringo from Forth Worth in Texas came along and offered me 45000 dollares. I don't know if he thought the price was in dollares or he just wanted to spend that amount of money on a house.

Why didn't you ask?

Why would he ask? $45,000 is worth a lot more than s./60,000.
rama0929
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby rama0929 » Thu Mar 22, 2012 5:17 pm

delboy wrote:
rama0929 wrote:

Why didn't you ask?

So?
rubble
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby rubble » Thu Mar 22, 2012 10:42 pm

I know I shouldn't take the bait but......

chi chi, is this house you've 'sold' the same one you tried to sell as 'Euroman' for S/.75000 after claiming to spend S/50000 on floors and windows etc.?

And how can you advise people to take the bus to the airport so as NOT to get ripped off by nasty taxi drivers and then rob a bloke off for $000's?

I know you disappear of posts when awkward questions are asked, but I'm intrigued as to your reasoning.

(And I know I'm probably going over the top here, but even written down the term 'some gringo' really does grate on me)
delboy

Postby delboy » Fri Mar 23, 2012 10:19 am

rama0929 wrote:
delboy wrote:
rama0929 wrote:

Why didn't you ask?

So?

Regardless of whether this actually happened or not, if someone wants to pay more than he's asking why would he be interested in their motives?
chi chi
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby chi chi » Fri Mar 23, 2012 1:17 pm

rubble wrote:And how can you advise people to take the bus to the airport so as NOT to get ripped off by nasty taxi drivers and then rob a bloke off for $000's?

Rubble, I didn't rob anyone. The gringo had mucho dollares and HE decided to pay that price. He made an offer and I accepted the offer. He even had more money on his bank account. I could have charged him much more. So, he has still money left.

And I gave him more than he paid for because when I moved out, I forgot to take the extension for the cable TV and the light bulb in the bathroom with me.

Back t the topic, I noticed that things are changing in Peru. Wages are gone up and people have more money to spend but prices of items that are quoted in dollares are going down. Fridges, cookers, TV's, motorbikes became cheaper. This has also to do with that there's more competition. EFE and RADIOSHACK came to Tarapoto.
Honda is already opening a second dealership in Tarapoto.
rama0929
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby rama0929 » Fri Mar 23, 2012 4:24 pm

delboy wrote:
Regardless of whether this actually happened or not, if someone wants to pay more than he's asking why would he be interested in their motives?

We're not talking a few dollars more, we're talking a few *thousand* dollars more. If that doesn't trip all kinds of red flags, well, it must be nice to be so trusting...
captsirl
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby captsirl » Fri Mar 23, 2012 6:15 pm

Boys Boys Boys
He said he left the light bulb and some wire.
Fair is Fair
rubble
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby rubble » Sun Mar 25, 2012 3:11 pm

"Rubble, I didn't rob anyone. The gringo had mucho dollares and HE decided to pay that price. He made an offer and I accepted the offer. He even had more money on his bank account. I could have charged him much more. So, he has still money left."

My apologies. I didn´t realise that after you told him the S/ 60,000 was approximately $23,000, and he was offering you more or less double your asking price, he still insisted on paying $45,000. And, the fact that you could have taken more - and you didn't - well, you ARE a saint..... You did tell him the difference didn't you?

Anyway, get you and your girlfriend off to Tottus for some fresh fish - in a cab, off course - 'you the man' as our American friends say (isn't that a nicer expression than 'some gringo'?).

I can't wait to hear you adventures when you start working as a trolly dolly for LAN.
renodante
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby renodante » Sun Mar 25, 2012 3:40 pm

And I gave him more than he paid for because when I moved out, I forgot to take the extension for the cable TV and the light bulb in the bathroom with me.

HAHAHA are you not merciful? Did you leave him a half of a box of cereal you forgot about too, thereby increasing the value of the deal?
chi chi
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby chi chi » Sun Mar 25, 2012 4:19 pm

renodante wrote:

HAHAHA are you not merciful? Did you leave him a half of a box of cereal you forgot about too, thereby increasing the value of the deal?

Renodante, I am not too worried about the box of cereal. I would have been a big problem if I forgot to take the roll of toiletpaper with me. You know, in Peru, leaving the home without taking toilet paper with you can get you in serious problems.

Anyway, the gringo is very happy with the home. The house is in perfect condition. Very clean. No stains at all on the paint. Very nice tile flooring and beautifull garden. He wouldn't have found a nicer home. And the house is located in the most beautiful area in Peru. Not in creepy, stinky Lima.
Icachico
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby Icachico » Mon Mar 26, 2012 12:44 pm

rama0929 wrote:
delboy wrote:

We're not talking a few dollars more, we're talking a few *thousand* dollars more. If that doesn't trip all kinds of red flags, well, it must be nice to be so trusting...

Red flags like maybe he might have been a criminal hiding out in Peru?
Some fugitive on the lam looking for a safe house to hole up in until the heat was off of him?
rama0929
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby rama0929 » Mon Mar 26, 2012 6:29 pm

Icachico wrote:Red flags like maybe he might have been a criminal hiding out in Peru?
Some fugitive on the lam looking for a safe house to hole up in until the heat was off of him?

It's possible, but I was thinking more along the lines of advance fee fraud.

That said, I would think a criminal/fugitive would find a better place to hide than Tarapoto, and even if he didn't, he wouldn't (or at least shouldn't) be throwing around money like that.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rWUM2N19cDo

But yeah, anything's possible.
seb2010
Silver Member
Silver Member

Postby seb2010 » Mon Mar 26, 2012 8:17 pm

bobg wrote:Good progress indeed, what I do find to be to be disturbing is the price of EVERYTHING !
Food has doubled, taxis , gas, I am sure the cost of living is up. We bought our apartment 6 years ago, now it's doubled Peru is not the bargain it used to be ,people should realize this before they think about moving. Anyone have a opinion ?

That's exactly what I've been saying in previous posts! Yes, I agree 100%, Peru isn't exactly 'cheap'.
bobg
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby bobg » Mon Mar 26, 2012 10:26 pm

Thanks for staying on the subject we live in Florida ormond beach I know you get more for your money ,over all, buying house hold items to food. I know you can get more house especially now with the depressed market , cars We just sold our 1998 Nissan bluebird here, for 3,200 , in the states maybe 500.00. Jobs not much there true , hows the job market here? I'M retired so there are a lot of benefits, we came here because my wife is Peruvian we enjoyed our time here with family and friends but since the dollar is way down and prices are up it's time to sell everything, buy a small apt. you know how the Peruvians have to have a place to go just in case,
chi chi
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby chi chi » Mon Mar 26, 2012 10:29 pm

seb2010 wrote:
bobg wrote:Good progress indeed, what I do find to be to be disturbing is the price of EVERYTHING !

That's exactly what I've been saying in previous posts! Yes, I agree 100%, Peru isn't exactly 'cheap'.

Peru is still the cheapest Latin American country. Most expensive is Chile.
chi chi
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby chi chi » Mon Mar 26, 2012 10:36 pm

bobg wrote: cars We just sold our 1998 Nissan bluebird here, for 3,200 , in the states maybe 500.00.

Second cars in Peru are very expensive. People pay thousands of dollares for what you could buy in Europe or US for a few hundred dollares.

But that´s why Peru is full of motorbikes. They are cheaper to buy, cheaper to maintain and use far less fuel.
susita83
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby susita83 » Tue Mar 27, 2012 8:09 am

We'd need a minivan if we moved, we have 4 kids. They're kind of costly. It'd probably be better off to buy one here (not more than 5 yrs old) and ship it in a container, since my husband would be exempt from the tax - Peruvian citizen returning to Peru after at least 5 years abroad. You can also bring all your household items with you (furniture, etc.)
Icachico
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby Icachico » Tue Mar 27, 2012 1:21 pm

rama0929 wrote:
Icachico wrote:Red flags like maybe he might have been a criminal hiding out in Peru?

It's possible, but I was thinking more along the lines of advance fee fraud.

That said, I would think a criminal/fugitive would find a better place to hide than Tarapoto, and even if he didn't, he wouldn't (or at least shouldn't) be throwing around money like that.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rWUM2N19cDo

But yeah, anything's possible.

Yes, anything's possible.
Sadly, Peru is not immune to fraud and schemes. One only has to peruse various forums and blogs to discover it is alive and well
falconagain
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby falconagain » Tue Mar 27, 2012 5:53 pm

Peru keeps an artificial peg to the dollar (fluctuation between 2 to 3 soles) which
creates internal inflation because not all the products that are imported come from
the United States.
bobg
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby bobg » Tue Mar 27, 2012 6:18 pm

falconagain wrote:Peru keeps an artificial peg to the dollar (fluctuation between 2 to 3 soles) which
creates internal inflation because not all the products that are imported come from
the United States.

I am sorry I'm not an economist could you explain it to me in plain English ?
Alpineprince
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby Alpineprince » Tue Mar 27, 2012 8:16 pm

bobg wrote:
falconagain wrote:Peru keeps an artificial peg to the dollar (fluctuation between 2 to 3 soles) which
the United States.

And a source would be nice as well!
rama0929
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby rama0929 » Tue Mar 27, 2012 8:20 pm

chi chi wrote:

It may be one of the cheapest, but I doubt that it is the cheapest
rama0929
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby rama0929 » Tue Mar 27, 2012 8:22 pm

susita83 wrote:We'd need a minivan if we moved, we have 4 kids. They're kind of costly. It'd probably be better off to buy one here (not more than 5 yrs old) and ship it in a container, since my husband would be exempt from the tax - Peruvian citizen returning to Peru after at least 5 years abroad. You can also bring all your household items with you (furniture, etc.)

Hmmm, better look into marrying that Perucha then :lol:
chi chi
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby chi chi » Tue Mar 27, 2012 10:23 pm

rama0929 wrote:
chi chi wrote:

It may be one of the cheapest, but I doubt that it is the cheapest

Apart from Venezuela and Ecuador (which are more expensive than Peru) I've been to all other Latin American countries and can confirm you that they are all more expensive.

I've seen more Mercedes and BMW's driving around in Brasil and Paraguay than in Germany. And most people who drive those flashy cars are young people.
rama0929
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby rama0929 » Tue Mar 27, 2012 10:31 pm

chi chi wrote:Apart from Venezuela and Ecuador (which are more expensive than Peru) I've been to all other Latin American countries and can confirm you that they are all more expensive.

I've seen more Mercedes and BMW's driving around in Brasil and Paraguay than in Germany. And most people who drive those flashy cars are young people.

Mercedes and BMW's per young people capita is hardly an indicator of how (in)expensive a country is to live.

I find it hard to believe that Peru is cheaper than Bolivia, Guatemala or Honduras to name a few examples.
chi chi
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby chi chi » Tue Mar 27, 2012 10:59 pm

rama0929 wrote:
chi chi wrote:Apart from Venezuela and Ecuador (which are more expensive than Peru) I've been to all other Latin American countries and can confirm you that they are all more expensive.

Mercedes and BMW's per young people capita is hardly an indicator of how (in)expensive a country is to live.

I find it hard to believe that Peru is cheaper than Bolivia, Guatemala or Honduras to name a few examples.

To see the price differences, you must look at the prices outside the capitals. If you live in Lima, then you might say that Bolivia or Guatemala is cheaper. But if you live in the provinces in Peru, then you will see that Peru is really cheap compared to the other countries.

If you look only at the capitals then you will notice that rents in Quito are much lower than Lima. But food is far more expensive in Ecuador.
rama0929
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby rama0929 » Tue Mar 27, 2012 11:25 pm

chi chi wrote:
To see the price differences, you must look at the prices outside the capitals. If you live in Lima, then you might say that Bolivia or Guatemala is cheaper. But if you live in the provinces in Peru, then you will see that Peru is really cheap compared to the other countries.

And if you live in the provinces of Bolivia and Guatemala?
seb2010
Silver Member
Silver Member

Postby seb2010 » Wed Mar 28, 2012 6:58 am

Alpineprince wrote:
bobg wrote:
the United States.

And a source would be nice as well!

It means that the government will take action (flood the market with USD or Peruvian Soles) to keep the sole within the exchange rate of 2 to 3 soles to the dollar. There is no source because apparently this isn't something that the government will admit to, but I also understand this to be true.
Kelly

Postby Kelly » Wed Mar 28, 2012 9:23 am

I'd like to see something more official than "chi chi says" before I believe that. From reports I've read, I'm pretty sure that Brazil is more expensive than Chile, and Bolivia (and possibly Nicaragua) are cheaper than Peru.
bobg
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby bobg » Wed Mar 28, 2012 12:22 pm

I don't believe the cost of living in the country ( provinces) is really much of a indicator , how much do they spend on commodities that the city person has to buy , that they make them selves or is naturally available.
Transportation, utilities, so on and so forth. The same holds true for country living in the us. The city is where the money is spent, thats were true cost of living is determined, thats where most people live.
chi chi
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby chi chi » Thu Mar 29, 2012 10:42 pm

bobg wrote:I don't believe the cost of living in the country ( provinces) is really much of a indicator , how much do they spend on commodities that the city person has to buy , that they make them selves or is naturally available.
Transportation, utilities, so on and so forth. The same holds true for country living in the us. The city is where the money is spent, thats were true cost of living is determined, thats where most people live.

But if someone wants to move to Peru then he should know that living in Lima is far more expensive than living in the provinces. Someone with a small budget will be better off living in the provinces.
Also living in the provinces is more safer than living in creepy Lima.
rama0929
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby rama0929 » Thu Mar 29, 2012 10:59 pm

chi chi wrote:
But if someone wants to move to Peru then he should know that living in Lima is far more expensive than living in the provinces. Someone with a small budget will be better off living in the provinces.
Also living in the provinces is more safer than living in creepy Lima.

americorps wrote:And as much as I love the Selva, it is important to me that most of the jungle carries less than half the lifespan rate as has Lima and the other areas where there is better access to security, health care, and less risk of diseases. I am happy to pay a bit more not to lower the risks to my life.

I'll take my chances with "Creepy Lima"
chi chi
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby chi chi » Thu Mar 29, 2012 11:06 pm

rama0929 wrote:I'll take my chances with "Creepy Lima"

I feel sorry for you. You don't know what you are missing.

http://www.google.com.pe/search?tbm=isc ... 66&bih=585

I've been to Texas as well so I am sure that little Texas town your are from is far more exotic than Lima.
rama0929
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby rama0929 » Sat Mar 31, 2012 5:21 pm

chi chi wrote:
rama0929 wrote:I'll take my chances with "Creepy Lima"

I feel sorry for you. You don't know what you are missing.

http://www.google.com.pe/search?tbm=isc ... 66&bih=585

I've been to Texas as well so I am sure that little Texas town your are from is far more exotic than Lima.

Not as sorry as I feel for you... :twisted:

FWIW, you got some bad information; I'm not from Texas :wink:
amigorick
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby amigorick » Wed Apr 04, 2012 10:38 am

Seems like this thread has morphed into a Lima vs "the provinces" discussion so here's my 2 céntimos.

In regard to living in the provinces, some things are cheaper like land, local produce and labor. However, there are disadvantages too. I live in Iquitos. Real skilled labor must be flown in from Lima as locals usually have no formal technical training nor tools. My personal experience is that any building construction/repair work is shoddy, sometimes with results that are worse than the original state. One must constantly supervise or the work will be done in the the fastest manner with the cheapest materials. Thank goodness my Dad taught me a lot about basic home repairs. We had a new sewer system installed and 10 bathrooms remodeled in our quinta by a "contractor" that was highly recommend by an American who own a successful local restaurant. The contractor didn't want to install wax rings when resetting the toilets - we would never have been able to rent those rooms with sewer stench!

Also besides the few things that are produced locally, everything else is substantially more expensive here because everything must be trucked from the coast, over the Andes and then a 5-6 day boat ride down the river - either that or flown in. This increases cost of everything from food, building materials, clothes, etc. For example, at the local supermercado you can currently buy old desiccated choclo for 11 soles/kg - and darn lucky to find it! None is available at the public markets.

Also the comment about healthcare is true. Local clinics can take care of most minor things probably cheaper than in Lima. But for anything more complicated, you have to fly to Lima. Another thing to consider is that Dengue is a problem here.

I don't think we can really compare Lima to "the provinces" as each village, town and city will have different pros and cons depending on many variables.

Btw, it's pouring here!
chi chi
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby chi chi » Wed Apr 04, 2012 2:16 pm

amigorick wrote:Seems like this thread has morphed into a Lima vs "the provinces" discussion so here's my 2 céntimos.

In regard to living in the provinces, some things are cheaper like land, local produce and labor. However, there are disadvantages too. I live in Iquitos. Real skilled labor must be flown in from Lima as locals usually have no formal technical training nor tools. My personal experience is that any building construction/repair work is shoddy, sometimes with results that are worse than the original state. One must constantly supervise or the work will be done in the the fastest manner with the cheapest materials. Thank goodness my Dad taught me a lot about basic home repairs. We had a new sewer system installed and 10 bathrooms remodeled in our quinta by a "contractor" that was highly recommend by an American who own a successful local restaurant. The contractor didn't want to install wax rings when resetting the toilets - we would never have been able to rent those rooms with sewer stench!

Also besides the few things that are produced locally, everything else is substantially more expensive here because everything must be trucked from the coast, over the Andes and then a 5-6 day boat ride down the river - either that or flown in. This increases cost of everything from food, building materials, clothes, etc. For example, at the local supermercado you can currently buy old desiccated choclo for 11 soles/kg - and darn lucky to find it! None is available at the public markets.

Also the comment about healthcare is true. Local clinics can take care of most minor things probably cheaper than in Lima. But for anything more complicated, you have to fly to Lima. Another thing to consider is that Dengue is a problem here.

I don't think we can really compare Lima to "the provinces" as each village, town and city will have different pros and cons depending on many variables.

Btw, it's pouring here!

Iquitos is one of the few cities in the world that isn´t accesible by road. Only by air or boat.

Food in Tarapoto is much cheaper as it´s grown locally. Everyday, I see trucks full of fruit, vegetables and coconuts leaving Tarapoto to Yurimaguas where everything is loaded on a boat to Iquitos.

I am agree, good builders are hard to find but there are. The fact is that there are a lot of ´haga todos´or ´do it alls´. Today they are bricklayer, tomorrow they are electrician.

Return to “Expat Information”

Login  •  Register