Hotels across the border from Tumbes?

Answers to your qestions about moving to, and living in, Peru,
lazybones
Gold Member
Gold Member

Hotels across the border from Tumbes?

Postby lazybones » Thu Apr 12, 2012 9:40 am

Hi everyone, dont know why but when I arrived a couple of weeks ago, The immigration guy only gave me a month. goodness knows why I did not look and check it. Anyway, got to over the border to renew. The best departure times is with StarPeru up to Tumbes.
Anyone done this route before and can give some tips. I intend to arrive and go over the border the same day. And stay in a hotel overnight before returning. Can I get a Combi or taxi to the border. and what is a decent hotel in the town and how much... Any info would be a good one....

Oh and Kelly, if you read this, its ready for collection, thanks guys...

Kelly

Re: Hotels across the border from Tumbes?

Postby Kelly » Thu Apr 12, 2012 1:32 pm

Hey - great! Let me get with my husband and find out when he's available to stop by.
tupacperu
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby tupacperu » Fri Apr 13, 2012 1:43 am

I did this trip a few years back. I would recommend going south to Chile.
There were problems at every turn, corrupt cops, taxi drivers, etc...
You best bet is to take the bus from Tumbes to Machala Equador and back.
There are buses that are in town when you arrive. The border is close to Tumbes .
As far as the hotels, they are expensive, the taxi drivers in Equador are decent. They can recommend a nice hostel (cheap). http://www.oroverdehotels.com/ (expensive)

The Peruvian side of the border was pretty bad.

My account of events:
1. Took Oltursa (bus) Lima - Tumbes (nice scenic costal trip)
2. Arrived in Tumbes late the bus to The border was not going out til the next morning.
3. Befriended a taxi to take me to the border 25 Sols (few years back).
4. Traffic was heavy at the border so the taxi took a short cut into the back road of the market on the border.
5. He stopped to grab a quick soda and when he came back he told me that the police wanted $100 to Allow us to proceed. The ghetto in me approached the police and he ask for my papers. He stood there looking at my passport and papers hoping i would panic and offer money. I did not so he gave me my papers and i left on foot to the ecuador side of the border - Walking distance.
The Taxi driver (Peru) followed me. I had already paid his fare and a big tip.
I now knew he was in on the scam. As i got into a cab to take me to Machala, the Peruvian cab driver was screaming that I had not paid my fare. The cops were coming, so I threw 100 sols at the cab driver (peru) to get him off my back. Then I took the cab (ecuador) to Machala.

Found a nice hostal downtown - center city and spent the night.
The next day I took the bus from Machala to Tumbes. The bus stops at the border to allow you to get your stamp in your passport. Also beware of shady people when you get in line to get your stamp when returning to Peru. They offer to help for a fee , many are pickpockets and will also ask to help you with you bags, they take off with it.

My suggestion is to take the bus both ways. It is cheaper and safer.

The bus company i took from Tumbas to Machala and back was named Cifa
Check this blog for info: http://perunews.wordpress.com/threatdow ... -crossing/

Please be safe, the northern border is chaos. There are. CHeckpoints on the highway going north where the police make everyone get off the bus and they send in drug dogs, this may happen 2 or 3 times in your travels to Tumbes. So any valuables you have keep them on you including your laptop and cell, because when reenter the bus they may not be there.

Good luck
Jalapenomel
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby Jalapenomel » Sat Apr 14, 2012 10:29 am

I have also heard that the Tumbes trip can be quite dangerous. I did Arica, Chile last week, and I posted about it on my blog if you care for more information.
americorps
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby americorps » Sat Apr 14, 2012 4:09 pm

I echo topac and jalapeno, I will never do the Tumbes border again, I would say it was the only time I have been scared for my life the 6 years I have lived here.

Return to “Expat Information”

Login  •  Register