Poppy seeds (semillas de amapola) in Lima?

Answers to your qestions about moving to, and living in, Peru,
Jessietoo
Silver Member
Silver Member

Poppy seeds (semillas de amapola) in Lima?

Postby Jessietoo » Sun May 06, 2012 8:39 pm

Hello All,

I want to make traditional hamantaschen cookies for my Peruvian friends here. The filling is made from poppy seeds. I've looked in just about every supermarket though, and I haven't seen any anywhere. I'm met by blank stares when I ask for semillas de amapola.

Does anyone know of any specialty stores that might sell them?

Thanks,
Jessie

Omikron
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: Poppy seeds (semillas de amapola) in Lima?

Postby Omikron » Mon May 07, 2012 12:09 am

I'm not an expert with this topic but not being part of the Peruvian culture or cuisine as opposed to the coca leaf, I would say it makes it illegal to possess even if its for baking.

http://www.noticiasaliadas.org/articles ... 1&art=2593

Quote "La amapola no es como la coca, no tiene una tradición ni raíces culturales en el país. No hay argumentos en contra de una política de total erradicación forzosa", señaló Vega Llona.

A diferencia de la hoja de coca, que es usada en ceremonias rituales y masticada por los campesinos, poseer semillas de amapola o cultivarla en cualquier forma es ilegal en el Perú según el Decreto Legislativo 824."

So the question is, is there any other type of poppy seed used in baking which are not from the Opium seed (Papaver somniferum)?
Jessietoo
Silver Member
Silver Member

Postby Jessietoo » Fri May 11, 2012 7:16 pm

These are just plain ole' poppy seeds I'm looking for. They are used in many breads, bagels, and cakes back home in the States. I don't know if they are Papaver Somniferum or not. They are available in any supermarket back home, and I found them while living in Ecuador.

I doubt anyone is getting buzzed off a poppy seed bagel, but maybe that's why hamantaschen is so popular!

Thanks All,
Jessie
violet

Postby violet » Thu May 24, 2012 11:50 pm

Were you able to find these? I want to make bagels with them :(
Kelly

Postby Kelly » Fri May 25, 2012 12:21 am

There may be no one getting high off of poppy seeds, but that can grow them into poppies to process opium.

The text that Omikron pasted there pretty clearly states that they are illegal in Peru.

Of course, that doesn't mean you might not find some, somewhere.
captsirl
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby captsirl » Fri May 25, 2012 7:30 am

I get caraway seeds. Shipped via US mail and SerPost plus many others from time to time. As far as the Poppy seed goes. They are sold prepacked and dried therefor rendering them useless for anything other than cooking.
There available in the USA where everything is against the law. So do as I do and have someone mail them to you in the original packaging. Its no big deal.
Jessietoo
Silver Member
Silver Member

Postby Jessietoo » Fri May 25, 2012 1:20 pm

No, I haven't been able to find poppy seeds here. It seems crazy to me that Peru is such a major producer of coca leaf that eventually finds its way into cocaine, and yet they won't even allow poppy seeds for baking.

Thanks for all of your replies.
Omikron
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby Omikron » Fri May 25, 2012 3:03 pm

Jessietoo wrote:No, I haven't been able to find poppy seeds here. It seems crazy to me that Peru is such a major producer of coca leaf that eventually finds its way into cocaine, and yet they won't even allow poppy seeds for baking.

Thanks for all of your replies.

It was explained in my previous post that the coca leaf has been part of the Peruvian culture and traditions way before the arrival of the Spaniards whereas the opium poppy and its seeds, to my understanding, weren't even known by the pre hispanic peruvians as this is not a native plant.

Foreigners should understand that coca is not cocaine and therefore planting, owning or consuming coca is not illegal in Peru nor in Bolivia.
renodante
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby renodante » Fri May 25, 2012 4:02 pm

just an F.Y.I

if you ever have a drug test coming up, don't eat anything with poppy seeds, you can fail it, even with just a bagel's worth.

http://www.snopes.com/medical/drugs/poppyseed.asp
Omikron
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby Omikron » Fri May 25, 2012 4:06 pm

renodante wrote:just an F.Y.I

if you ever have a drug test coming up, don't eat anything with poppy seeds, you can fail it, even with just a bagel's worth.

http://www.snopes.com/medical/drugs/poppyseed.asp

Oh Renodante is right. I like watching the "Mythbusters" (I have a hunch geeky Kelly likes this show too) and one episode was based on that . The video link follows:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fxr6bQikRk0

I also have read that drinking a Mate de coca would also give a false positive result on a cocaine test.
Kelly

Postby Kelly » Fri May 25, 2012 6:45 pm

Omikron wrote:(I have a hunch geeky Kelly likes this show too)

Dude! I try to keep that side hidden.... :lol:
asher
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby asher » Fri May 25, 2012 9:18 pm

You can buy poppy seeds at Surquillo market. They come in small round tubs and cost around 10 soles. I bought some a few months back. You can also get all kinds of Indian spices there.
Jessietoo
Silver Member
Silver Member

Postby Jessietoo » Sat May 26, 2012 10:42 am

It was explained in my previous post that the coca leaf has been part of the Peruvian culture and traditions way before the arrival of the Spaniards whereas the opium poppy and its seeds, to my understanding, weren't even known by the pre hispanic peruvians as this is not a native plant.

Foreigners should understand that coca is not cocaine and therefore planting, owning or consuming coca is not illegal in Peru nor in Bolivia.

You're right in what you say Omikron. I also believe 100% that coca leaf is not a harmful drug; there's little doubt about that. It's only the very highly processed product that creates a potent, addictive, and harmful drug. With the long history of coca use in the Andean regions, it's right that it should be legal to grow it for traditional uses.

The issue that I was referring to is that an extremely large amount of coca grown in Peru ends up being used not for local, traditional consumption but to create that highly processed final product; cocaine. According to La Catolica university here in Lima, Peru exported around 282 tons of cocaine in 2010. That's a massive amount.
While that enormous production goes on here in Peru, right under the noses of the politicians, they at the same time decide that poppy seeds for cooking should be illegal. It's that dichotomy that I think is a bit ridiculous. In most of the world where poppy seeds are readily available, do people start growing them and processing them into heroin? While perhaps a handful of enterprising druggies have done that, the answer is, of course not.

To me it looks like this:
Supply 30-40% of the world's cocaine = OK (It's OK because it's "traditional")
Sell poppy seeds in small amounts for cooking = Not OK (because it's not "traditional") As if McDonald's is traditional.

It doesn't make any sense to me.
renodante
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby renodante » Sat May 26, 2012 11:33 am

you're right jessie, it's moronic.

the U.S, europe, canada, etc get their heroin/opium etc from crops grown in afghanistan, and the "Golden Triangle (laos/thailand/burma) yet poppy seeds are readily available in all the western countries i mentioned. obviously it's not so easy to set up a heroin/opium operation.

you need hectare upon hectare of land and tons of poppies to make opium/heroin. it's not like pot or something, where people are going to be buying some seeds at the store and end up brewing up heroin from poppies they grow in their closet. but like most drug laws anywhere, they bring out the stupid in us, they rarely make any sense at all

my friend from canada had to hire a lawyer for thousands of dollars to combat a "drug trafficking" charge for bringing like 10 boxes of coca tea into the u.s in his bags, so yeah, god forbid somebody gets a hold of some poppy seeds...it'll be anarchy.

Return to “Expat Information”

Login  •  Register