Specifically magazine subscriptions

Answers to your qestions about moving to, and living in, Peru,
Nomada

Specifically magazine subscriptions

Postby Nomada » Thu May 10, 2012 11:47 am

Hi, expats. Am returning to Peru and would like to know what kind of luck anyone has had receiving magazines directly from the source by mail to Peru. I do not need to forward much other mail, so have no need for some of the suggestions here regarding PO Boxes, services, etc. Just want to know if any of you have been able to receive magazines (in my case from the USA) within maybe a month or so after mailing.

It still turns out less expensive than buying the English version at Zeta. Thanks for any info.

PeruFan
Silver Member
Silver Member

Re: Specifically magazine subscriptions

Postby PeruFan » Thu May 10, 2012 5:37 pm

Well I can tell you what has happened in our experience. For about five years we had National Geographic sent directly to us here in Peru. (Ordered from NG and mailed directly by them.) The international subscription rate was fairly expensive but we enjoyed it. They always arrived in a timely manner. Well, after about five years they stopped coming. We called and called. NG continued to add months to our subscription but they would never show up. We finallly gave up. At one point we were getting National Geographic Kids here with no problem as well.

We also got Readers Digest for a couple of years before they stopped coming. We never had luck getting any other magazines. I think a lot of people here want to learn English. I always wondered if they were simply stolen en route. Looking at the prices at the bookstores, those magazines are pretty valuable.

Now we just have relatives bring down magazines when they come. Sure they are outdated but still enjoyable.
CluckU

Postby CluckU » Thu May 10, 2012 6:07 pm

SERPOST has gotten a lot better over the last couple of years. I get subscribe to a Chilean monthly and an American bi-weekly magazine. Le Monde Diplomatique Chilean Edition comes like clockwork, usually a week later than in Chile, but the New York Review of Books is a bit more erratic. Still makes it in the end, though.
salintl

Postby salintl » Thu May 10, 2012 10:47 pm

I just got around to changing the address on my New Yorker subscription nine days ago, and got my first magazine in the post today - the May 14 edition. I'm usually three to six months behind in reading the New Yorker, so this is very exciting indeed!

Return to “Expat Information”

Login  •  Register