10 soles fine at the airport when losing tarjeta andina

Answers to your qestions about moving to, and living in, Peru,
chi chi
Gold Member
Gold Member

10 soles fine at the airport when losing tarjeta andina

Postby chi chi » Sun May 20, 2012 1:31 am

Last april, we flew out of Lima airport. I lost my tarjeta andina. But before you go to immigraciones, there are employees distributing tarjeta andina form to fill out if you lost yours.
So, I filled out a new one.

When I presented my passport and new tarjeta andina, the immigration officer told me that it's not valid because the tarjeta doesn't an entry stamp from immigration so he told me I had to pay a 10 soles fine.

My gf interrupted and after some discussion, I didn't have to pay. The immigration officer said he lets me go without paying the fine (his invented fine) but reminds me that's a new fine since april 2012.
Last edited by chi chi on Sun May 20, 2012 3:44 am, edited 1 time in total.

Kelly

Re: 10 soles fine at the airport when losing tarjeta andina

Postby Kelly » Sun May 20, 2012 2:27 am

Actually, there is a charge for a duplicate TAM. According to their website, it's S/8.05 - but I wouldn't be a bit surprised if it's gone up since posted and just not been updated. http://www.digemin.gob.pe/en/servicios_ ... o_tam.html
chi chi
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby chi chi » Sun May 20, 2012 3:43 am

I lost it a few times and this was the first time they asked for 10 soles.
Kelly

Postby Kelly » Sun May 20, 2012 4:17 am

I can't see how that matters; the rule is still the rule whether they follow it all the time or not.
falconagain
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby falconagain » Sun May 20, 2012 9:59 am

Is the tarjeta andina mandatory for everybody now???
chi chi
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby chi chi » Mon May 21, 2012 12:39 am

falconagain wrote:Is the tarjeta andina mandatory for everybody now???

It's only for foreigners. It's the white form that the airline crew gives you to fill out. And you give it to inmigraciones.
It's like the one you fill out before passing immigration in the US.
adrian Thorne
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby adrian Thorne » Mon May 21, 2012 9:06 am

chi chi wrote:
falconagain wrote:Is the tarjeta andina mandatory for everybody now???

It's only for foreigners. It's the white form that the airline crew gives you to fill out. And you give it to inmigraciones.
It's like the one you fill out before passing immigration in the US.

Sorry. All nationals (DNI) including CE holders are also required to complete the TAM when leaving the country. It is stamped and then we are required to hand it to immigration on our return.
falconagain
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby falconagain » Mon May 21, 2012 2:43 pm

I wonder how it will work for people with more than one nationality.
I am not coming back for at least three years.
chi chi
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby chi chi » Tue May 22, 2012 1:59 am

falconagain wrote:I wonder how it will work for people with more than one nationality.
I am not coming back for at least three years.

Don't think about it yet. In 3 years time there will be probably be new fees, taxes and other paperwork required.
renodante
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby renodante » Tue May 22, 2012 8:04 am

i've heard some hotels won't even let you stay there if you don't bring it along.
chi chi
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby chi chi » Tue May 22, 2012 8:18 am

renodante wrote:i've heard some hotels won't even let you stay there if you don't bring it along.

That's too bad for them.

No hotel I ever stayed in Peru asked my for identification. Some just asked me to fill out some form with my name and address.
Kelly

Postby Kelly » Tue May 22, 2012 12:53 pm

Hotels are supposed to ask for your TAM - they have to charge taxes to residents, but tourists are exempt. You have to show your tam to prove you are exempt.

I would say that they probably cheated you out of money, if they didn't ask to see your TAM. But from the other posts you've made, I'm guessing most of the hotels you stay in don't pay taxes anyway, which is why they didn't care if you had ID.
chierchio
Silver Member
Silver Member

Postby chierchio » Tue May 22, 2012 6:17 pm

10 soles is the least amount I've had to pay for anything... except a taxi. It's 3 bucks if that.
Chris from Canada
chi chi
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby chi chi » Wed May 23, 2012 12:37 am

Kelly wrote:Hotels are supposed to ask for your TAM - they have to charge taxes to residents, but tourists are exempt. You have to show your tam to prove you are exempt.

I think very few hotel employees in Peru know what's a TAM or have ever seen one.

Probably, the staff at the tourist hotels like the Marriot and some other big places are aware of it.

All hotels I stayed in gave me a boleta so they pay tax.

When we stay in a hotel, my gf goes in first to ask for the price. I wait outside. This to avoid the gringo rate.
Last edited by chi chi on Wed May 23, 2012 12:45 am, edited 1 time in total.
renodante
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby renodante » Wed May 23, 2012 12:45 am

Kelly wrote:Hotels are supposed to ask for your TAM - they have to charge taxes to residents, but tourists are exempt. You have to show your tam to prove you are exempt.

I would say that they probably cheated you out of money, if they didn't ask to see your TAM. But from the other posts you've made, I'm guessing most of the hotels you stay in don't pay taxes anyway, which is why they didn't care if you had ID.

i'm usually asked for it for tax reasons. but i was on the bus to machu pichu once talking with another american tourist and he said the hotel outright denied them and told them they wouldn't let them stay there b/c they didn't have their TAM. which i thought was strange.
Kelly

Postby Kelly » Wed May 23, 2012 2:09 am

That is kind of weird. I would think it wouldn't matter - if you don't have a TAM, you pay the IGV and it's done. Maybe Fanning knows why they'd have a reason to not let you stay.

It was a hassle for us in Nazca, because my sister booked the rooms, and had her TAM, but my husband was a resident and i was still a tourist at the time. Since the husband and I were both one room, they decided they were going to charge the IGV, even though the room wasn't in his name.
chi chi
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby chi chi » Wed May 23, 2012 5:50 am

renodante wrote:i'm usually asked for it for tax reasons. but i was on the bus to machu pichu once talking with another american tourist and he said the hotel outright denied them and told them they wouldn't let them stay there b/c they didn't have their TAM. which i thought was strange.

I am lucky that they accidently wrote Peruvian by nacionality on my driving licence. It can be helpfull in you never know what kind of situations.

In August 2011, I was at Dulles Airport in Washington DC and the check in agent asked me if I had a return or onward ticket. I didn't but showed my driving licence that mentioned that I have Peruvian nationality. He believed it and off I was with a one way ticket. Hasta la vista, baby.
fanning
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby fanning » Wed May 23, 2012 9:50 am

Kelly wrote:That is kind of weird. I would think it wouldn't matter - if you don't have a TAM, you pay the IGV and it's done. Maybe Fanning knows why they'd have a reason to not let you stay.

It was a hassle for us in Nazca, because my sister booked the rooms, and had her TAM, but my husband was a resident and i was still a tourist at the time. Since the husband and I were both one room, they decided they were going to charge the IGV, even though the room wasn't in his name.

Tourists with less than 60 days in the country are exonerated from paying IGV. But to proof that, the hotel needs to make a copy of the passport and TAM, as the TAM shows the date of entry in the country. If a guest don't have a TAM, the hotel can also take a copy of the entry stamp in the passport to apply the exoneration.

If we have mixed guests, so a tourist and a resident, we split up the bill, so if the rate is $80, we charge $40 without IGV (factura), and $47.20 including IGV ( boleta )

The 60 days starts counting with every new entry in Peru, so it is not limited to 60 days a year orso.
This is Decreto Legislativo 919, which will be printed on the exonerated factura.
roddd
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby roddd » Wed May 23, 2012 11:16 am

chi chi wrote:
renodante wrote:i'm usually asked for it for tax reasons. but i was on the bus to machu pichu once talking with another american tourist and he said the hotel outright denied them and told them they wouldn't let them stay there b/c they didn't have their TAM. which i thought was strange.

I am lucky that they accidently wrote Peruvian by nacionality on my driving licence. It can be helpfull in you never know what kind of situations.

In August 2011, I was at Dulles Airport in Washington DC and the check in agent asked me if I had a return or onward ticket. I didn't but showed my driving licence that mentioned that I have Peruvian nationality. He believed it and off I was with a one way ticket. Hasta la vista, baby.

you seem to be floating around a lot with dodgy ID :shock:
roddd
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby roddd » Wed May 23, 2012 11:23 am

In the past i have used several different hotels in Peru
and they have always photocopied my passport and TAM
but i guess it depends on which Hotel you go to

Return to “Expat Information”

Login  •  Register