My K1 status wife now says she wants to leave the US

Answers to your qestions about moving to, and living in, Peru,
USAmale

My K1 status wife now says she wants to leave the US

Postby USAmale » Mon Jun 11, 2012 11:48 am

My wife now says that she is not happy here, she has problems with her daughter to deal with etc. She now is saying she simply wants to leave the US and return home to Lima, although I am in the process of completing her 485, 765, and 131.

I haven't sent them in yet., so her status is still K1.

because of an unhappy situation created by her minor daughter who is living with us, our homelife is now really strained.

Nobody else will take the daughter, so my wife wants to leave here, return to a job with her ex-employer, and she now says she is ambivalent about being together with me again since the whole experience has been so negative.

We have been married for 4 months, and I brought her here on a fiance visa, so her status is still K1.
She has also informed me that I will need to send her money each month in Peru.

Basically I feel that I have done everything for her and her daughter, and that I am now being used as a cash machine.

If she leaves the country with only her K1 visa, is she basically abandoning the marriage and the US forever?

She is giving me no choice in the matter, she now says she just wants to leave. Can I divorce her in absentia if she leaves in this manner, to never return?

I am completely dazed and confused at this point.

Thanks,

USAmale

captsirl
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: My K1 status wife now says she wants to leave the US

Postby captsirl » Mon Jun 11, 2012 12:09 pm

Sounds like that was the game from the get go.
Let them go back to Peru.
Cut your losses. This looks like a classic setup.
Sorry but its the way of the south. Sounds like you have been had by a pro.
Maybe you can prove this in a USA court and get it annulled.
Kelly

Postby Kelly » Mon Jun 11, 2012 1:35 pm

Where did the marriage take place?
USAmale

Postby USAmale » Mon Jun 11, 2012 1:43 pm

Kelly, the marriage took place here in the US, in Pennsylvania, 4 months ago...things have unravelled pretty quickly..essentially the daughter and her issues run our lives now....
Kelly

Postby Kelly » Mon Jun 11, 2012 1:48 pm

Then I'd see a lawyer immediately and find out about either a divorce or annulment before she goes.

Or stay married to her - it's a bit like the question with the daughter; once she goes back to Peru, how's she going to enforce any sort of payment?

Either way - I'd recommend you talk to a lawyer and find out what your rights and obligations actually are - I don't know that many of our members here on the forum are immigration or family law attorneys, so most of the advice you're getting is speculation and opinion.

I would also suggest that you visit Visajourney.com - there may be people there who have actual experience with your situation.
USAmale

Postby USAmale » Mon Jun 11, 2012 1:54 pm

Kelly:

I do have an appointment to see a lawyer tomorrow..this is all just killing me....I could just buy them tickets tho I am wondering if it would be easier to get it all resolved before she leaves...Does anyone in this forum have experience with this kind of situation? It sure feel like fraud...
captsirl
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby captsirl » Mon Jun 11, 2012 2:40 pm

She may get smarter.
Let her leave.
But see what the lawyer says in privet with out her. Hate to be mean but I'm good at protecting my self.
Right now as bad as its sound the States are on a big anti Latin movement. You may have a lot of leverage on your side.
But if they find out. God knows what the daughter could say while their in the USA. I would get them on an airplane tonight if I could.
I feel for ya. Don't think with your heart. Your running damage control here and if their gone they have nothing to leverage you with.
I just hope were not talking to the to girls here teaching them how to hurt a guy.
chi chi
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby chi chi » Mon Jun 11, 2012 3:07 pm

USAmale wrote:She has also informed me that I will need to send her money each month in Peru.

Basically I feel that I have done everything for her and her daughter, and that I am now being used as a cash machine.

USAmale wrote:Kelly:
I do have an appointment to see a lawyer tomorrow..this is all just killing me....I could just buy them tickets tho I am wondering if it would be easier to get it all resolved before she leaves...Does anyone in this forum have experience with this kind of situation? It sure feel like fraud...

OK, you are in a difficult situation but things will work out in your advantage.

Don`t buy her a ticket. She already stole enough from you.

Kick that brichera out of the house TODAY and change the locks. Inform your local police station of the situation so that they are aware of the situation in case she's going to make any false claims against you. (like that you did bad things to her or her daughter.) Because she asked you for money, she probably has a plan ready to skim you of all your money and probably your other belonging and house if you have one.

Report the situation to immigration immediately. Be honest. Tell them everything. How you met her, where you met her, how long you knew her before marriage. Keep all emails or letters you wrote.
For sure, you have friends and relatives who can testify that things weren`t right in your marriage and that she didn`t marry you for genuine reasons.

Also, try to find out if she isn´t married yet in Peru. Often married girls marry foreigners and then ask for money to send to their family in Peru.

Before spending money on lawyers, I suggest you talk to immigration. They for sure can give already a lot advice on what to do in such situations. They deal with many of them.

BUT DON´T GIVE HER ANY MONEY AT ALL.
mirage
Silver Member
Silver Member

Postby mirage » Mon Jun 11, 2012 3:21 pm

Talk to a lawyer first...because all the advise you receive here is not for sure. The laywer should present all of your options. Pick the best one and stay with that. The daughter has suceeded in what she wanted. Make sure that your wife understands that we not be able to change her mind once she goes, but whatever you do not talk to imigration first. The lawyer will tell you. Spénd the money.
captsirl
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby captsirl » Mon Jun 11, 2012 3:36 pm

Chi Chi
you cant kick any one out of a home in the USA with out an eviction notice. One you have that they have 15 days to leave.
Once they leave the country they have little to no say so. But the best thing is to get that lawyer working now

AND DON'T EDUCATE THE WIFE if she get to a lawyer your done.
Last edited by captsirl on Mon Jun 11, 2012 3:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
chi chi
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby chi chi » Mon Jun 11, 2012 3:38 pm

I think the same as Captsirl.
It was a textbook scam set up from the start.

Marrying a gringo, then forcing her daughter to play some game and then going back to Peru and demanding money.

USAmale wrote: my wife wants to leave here, return to a job with her ex-employer, and she now says she is ambivalent about being together with me again since the whole experience has been so negative.

USAmale

If she`s going to return to her ex-employer, she will get an income. So, she doesn`t need money from you.

I think that she has a partner in Peru she wants to return to and just married you to get some income top up.
chi chi
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby chi chi » Mon Jun 11, 2012 3:54 pm

captsirl wrote:Chi Chi
you cant kick any one out of a home in the USA with out an eviction notice. One you have that they have 15 days to leave.
Once they leave the country they have little to no say so. But the best thing is to get that lawyer working now

AND DON'T EDUCATE THE WIFE if she get to a lawyer your done.

For his own safety, I think he should take some precautions. If she only thinks that he`s not going to send her money once she's back in Peru then she could be up to anything.
inscop
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby inscop » Mon Jun 11, 2012 4:43 pm

First, the immigration advice. Find the address where your process is being handled. Write them a nice letter explaining that you wish to withdraw any and all immigration processes currently underway on her behalf. Be sure to mention her application number and A number if she has one (looks something similar to this - A029 356 789).

I am going to reserve judgement on whether or not she is trying to scam you, but I will tell you that any professed "love" is a myth. If she is willing to allow her daughter to run her life instead of hanging with you, then there is no love. CUT YOUR LOSSES and do hire a family law attorney. Perhaps he can even get her to stipulate to an agreed divorce before she leaves. If she leaves prior to that, I would go for an annulment based on fraud. With an annulment, the marriage literally never happened. And yes, you can do everything in absentia.

I hate seeing bad things happen to good people, especially when they have tried to do everything the right way from Square One. I would do my best to keep everything on an amicable level, at least until she is out of the country. The whole "woman scorned" thing keeps rearing its ugly head, and none of us would want you to be subjected to a false allegation.
chi chi
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby chi chi » Mon Jun 11, 2012 5:08 pm

inscop wrote: I would go for an annulment based on fraud. With an annulment, the marriage literally never happened. And yes, you can do everything in absentia.

Good thing in that case is that she cannot claim any money for whatever.
chi chi
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby chi chi » Mon Jun 11, 2012 5:32 pm

USAmale wrote:We have been married for 4 months, and I brought her here on a fiance visa, so her status is still K1.

Where and how did you meet her?
Did you meet her in person before she came to the US or only met her via internet?
And how long did you know here before getting married?
Before she came to the US, was she demanding her to send money as well?
chicama
Silver Member
Silver Member

Postby chicama » Mon Jun 11, 2012 5:33 pm

I doubt that this is a premeditated plot to rob you. A lot of the women of the bourgeois class in Peru are complete drama queens. My guess is that they expect their crazy ways, which are acceptable in their homes with servants, to be equally acceptable everywhere, including in the US. Of course, nobody will put up with that outside Peru.

I suggest you treat them both with respect and dignity. Tell them what your thoughts are, and what you are willing and not willing to do.

Being a new immigrant in a new country with a different language is hard, especially when you are in your late teens. This is the time when a lot of things are decided in one's life, at least in the US. She is probably feeling the pressure, and externalizing it on her mom and, indirectly, on you.

Step back, and be clear. If it turns out there is no solution, just get a divorce. I doubt you have built too much wealth in the last four months for it to be an issue. At the end, the laws of PA will apply.
chi chi
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby chi chi » Mon Jun 11, 2012 5:56 pm

chicama wrote:Being a new immigrant in a new country with a different language is hard, especially when you are in your late teens.

She moved to the US so the language wouldn`t have been a problem.

We were in LA 2 weeks ago and my gf (Peruvian) didn`t have any problems at all with 'the language'.

The motel staff, restaurant staff, busdrivers, supermarket employees and and shop staff their first language was spanish anyway. And the most heard language on the street was spanish.

Even the cop we asked for directions could answer us in perfect spanish.
chicama
Silver Member
Silver Member

Postby chicama » Mon Jun 11, 2012 6:07 pm

I think they are in Pennsylvania. Regardless, good luck to your GF when taking the SATs in Spanish.
rama0929
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby rama0929 » Mon Jun 11, 2012 6:30 pm

inscop wrote: The whole "woman scorned" thing keeps rearing its ugly head, and none of us would want you to be subjected to a false allegation.

Olive branch... Take her fishing :twisted:

Seriously, cut your losses. If there's no hope in salvaging the relationship
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5lf0UohIxpQ

A shame, but it's a lot to make the jump from Peru to the US. Some people can handle it better than others.
rama0929
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby rama0929 » Mon Jun 11, 2012 6:31 pm

chi chi wrote:
chicama wrote:Being a new immigrant in a new country with a different language is hard, especially when you are in your late teens.

She moved to the US so the language wouldn`t have been a problem.

We were in LA 2 weeks ago and my gf (Peruvian) didn`t have any problems at all with 'the language'.

The motel staff, restaurant staff, busdrivers, supermarket employees and and shop staff their first language was spanish anyway. And the most heard language on the street was spanish.

Even the cop we asked for directions could answer us in perfect spanish.

LA is not PA. Unless the OP is in Allentown or Hazleton.
falconagain
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby falconagain » Mon Jun 11, 2012 11:12 pm

Consult to a lawyer first. But if she is still a k1 with no greencard she has no way
to sue you for an extended period of time. If you go through a regular divorce,
the judge will determine her monthly amount of money based on the amount of
years that she has shared with you. (At least 2 or 3, depends on the Judge); with
only 4 months she will need to quite convincing, and if she wins the amount of
money will be like 300 to 400 dollars for only 4 months and no more. The best
advice is that if she wants to leave send her now immediately back to Peru.
Get your lawyer and divorce her. You will not lose much money or sleep over her.

And whatever she says, do not be naive enough to divorce her in Peru. Over here
all the laws are against you.
Scottperu411
Silver Member
Silver Member

Postby Scottperu411 » Tue Jun 12, 2012 12:14 am

And god forbid, don't have no more sex with her. If she gets pregnant, man your in trouble.
curranti
Silver Member
Silver Member

Postby curranti » Tue Jun 12, 2012 2:46 am

woooooo First of all dont go kicking her to the curb. Taking free advice from people on a forum is worth what you pay for it. There are a couple of things no one has mentioned so obviously no attorneys here. FIrst her green card is tempoary for the first two years. You must report to immigration that the marriage has failed, and terminate her immigration process.
Second yes send her back to the homeland and send her some money for a little bit. When you did the immigraction process you signed a affidavit of support. You want her to leave the USA and go back to Peru. If she stays in the US, you will understand divorce is a womans game in the USA. Especally in a community property state such as Penn. Fraud, lying deception does not matter, after all thats what marriage is all about. In the courts eyes it will be viewed as irrevelent. Read this about the affidavit of support you signed. Its a contract between you and the US government saying you will take care of her financially.

http://divorcelawyerofnj.com/wordpress/2009/01/29/immigration-and-spousal-support%C2%A0will-the-affidavit-of-support-haunt-me/

The best course of action is to be nice. Send her back to Peru. Send her a monthly salary. Not alot. File a petition for divorce, of course with a lawyer in Penn.

Does she want a divorce?
chi chi
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby chi chi » Tue Jun 12, 2012 4:38 pm

Scottperu411 wrote:And god forbid, don't have no more sex with her. If she gets pregnant, man your in trouble.

If she has a child born in the US then immigration will never deport her.

Anchor babies are the most popular way to get residency in the US.
Kelly

Postby Kelly » Tue Jun 12, 2012 5:11 pm

chi chi wrote:If she has a child born in the US then immigration will never deport her.

This is most assuredly not true.
chi chi
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby chi chi » Tue Jun 12, 2012 5:38 pm

Kelly wrote:
chi chi wrote:If she has a child born in the US then immigration will never deport her.

Immigration will talk a lot, treaten a lot but the never deport illegal woman that has a child born in the US. There are enough organisations that will prevent that.

www.casademaryland.org
chicama
Silver Member
Silver Member

Postby chicama » Tue Jun 12, 2012 6:17 pm

chi chi wrote:Immigration will talk a lot, treaten a lot but the never deport illegal woman that has a child born in the US. There are enough organisations that will prevent that.

A lot of the advice offered here on US immigration issues are completely ignorant, as you would expect from people who have limited to no experience with it. The only experience most people on this board have with immigration is with Peru's immigration, which has treated them with compassion and respect, comparatively speaking. US Immigration has deported women after snatching their US-born babies from their arms, only to send them to Child Protection Services.

Moreover, many people on this board also do not seem to know how to read. The 17 year old daughter only arrived in the US four months ago, and she is on a K2 visa, which means she was not born in the US, so the advice above is useless.

One other thing everyone seems to be missing is that we are only hearing the husband's side of the story. For all we know he may have been molesting the daughter, or beating the wife, and he is probing for options here should the wife or step-daughter involve the authorities. Nobody here knows what is going on in that house. Instead they all insult the very Peruvians they have freely chosen to live amongst. For the 17 year old daughter, this is a very difficult time that will define the rest of her life. She has just arrived in the US, and she has performed poorly on the SATs. The step dad, by his own account, is getting ready to kick her out on her own the moment she turns 18. So she is really on the verge of being abandoned at a very crucial time in her life.
rama0929
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby rama0929 » Tue Jun 12, 2012 6:25 pm

chi chi wrote:
Kelly wrote:

Immigration will talk a lot, treaten a lot but the never deport illegal woman that has a child born in the US. There are enough organisations that will prevent that.

http://www.casademaryland.org

So?

http://www.ice.gov/

Woman's deported, kid's placed in foster care. That's how it works.
Jimmy111
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby Jimmy111 » Tue Jun 12, 2012 7:15 pm

Thats how it is suposed to work. But usually does not.
When she got her K1 visa, did you have to sign a affidavit of support? If so just give her the money and let her leave. Dont buy the ticket for her. Let her buy it.
Good luck.
VicManu

Postby VicManu » Tue Jun 12, 2012 7:33 pm

chicama wrote:
chi chi wrote:Immigration will talk a lot, treaten a lot but the never deport illegal woman that has a child born in the US. There are enough organisations that will prevent that.

A lot of the advice offered here on US immigration issues are completely ignorant, as you would expect from people who have limited to no experience with it. The only experience most people on this board have with immigration is with Peru's immigration, which has treated them with compassion and respect, comparatively speaking. US Immigration has deported women after snatching their US-born babies from their arms, only to send them to Child Protection Services.

Moreover, many people on this board also do not seem to know how to read. The 17 year old daughter only arrived in the US four months ago, and she is on a K2 visa, which means she was not born in the US, so the advice above is useless.

One other thing everyone seems to be missing is that we are only hearing the husband's side of the story. For all we know he may have been molesting the daughter, or beating the wife, and he is probing for options here should the wife or step-daughter involve the authorities. Nobody here knows what is going on in that house. Instead they all insult the very Peruvians they have freely chosen to live amongst. For the 17 year old daughter, this is a very difficult time that will define the rest of her life. She has just arrived in the US, and she has performed poorly on the SATs. The step dad, by his own account, is getting ready to kick her out on her own the moment she turns 18. So she is really on the verge of being abandoned at a very crucial time in her life.

I remember the raid in Ontario California 2005 or 2006, ICE made a raid in the parking lot of a school when the parents most of them mexicans were waiting to pick up their children. ICE caught about two hundred of immigrants and they didnt take care of the kids. That was cruei.

Other case in L.A, 2 years ago, ICE detained a young hispanic man, He has mental problems so when they
interrogated Him. He was confused and couldnt answer clearly what They asked. He went to the jail and two days after He was deported to Tijuana. The guy was born in USA so He was a citizen of the country. Days after the family learneds what happened to the boy and after taking him bacj they sued ICE.
Another of lots of cruel histories of deportations and I{m not mentiuoninf how many guys died in the jails of ICE just because they dfdnt take care of people who have disease like diabetes. Or the cases of those who became sick for starvation in the jails of The IMMigration office.
VicManu

Postby VicManu » Tue Jun 12, 2012 7:54 pm

As most of the people wrote here get a lawyer and let her to leave by herself.
I guess it will be almost impossible for her to sue You from Peru. And don{t sign anything else to get her a different migration status.
If she decided to break up the relationship she hace to live that and I guess You are not obliged to send her money if You didn{t adopt her daughter.
But much better if You get advice of a lawyer.
americorps
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby americorps » Wed Jun 13, 2012 1:21 am

Another example as to why Chi CHi should come with some sort of warning label as his advice in this case, as often is, without any legal or practical merit. It is nonsense in this case. I still worry some day someone will take chi chi's advice at face value and end up in a real disaster.

Please, for legal advice, ask a lawyer experienced with US immigration issues, and for child support, look for an international family law specialist.

It is usually not very reliable to seek legal, or for that fact, medical advice from a lay group on the internet.

chi chi wrote:
Kelly wrote:

http://www.casademaryland.org
chicama
Silver Member
Silver Member

Postby chicama » Wed Jun 13, 2012 11:11 am

americorps wrote:Another example as to why Chi CHi should come with some sort of warning label as his advice in this case, as often is, without any legal or practical merit. It is nonsense in this case. I still worry some day someone will take chi chi's advice at face value and end up in a real disaster.

Isn't CHI CHI the guy who lives in a Peruvian government-subsidized house in Eastern Peru?

CHI CHI, you should kiss the land you stand on. It treats you like a human being, and does not abuse you like other countries, the US included, abuse Peruvians in your situation.

This USAmale reminds me of John Wayne Bobbitt. I wonder how serious he was when he married his Peruvian wife, who has a teenage daughter. Was he expecting a life without drama? Is he so out of touch with women? Did he think Peruvian women are all that different from US women?
chi chi
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby chi chi » Wed Jun 13, 2012 1:11 pm

chicama wrote:CHI CHI, you should kiss the land you stand on. It treats you like a human being, and does not abuse you like other countries, the US included, abuse Peruvians in your situation.

This USAmale reminds me of John Wayne Bobbitt. I wonder how serious he was when he married his Peruvian wife, who has a teenage daughter. Was he expecting a life without drama? Is he so out of touch with women? Did he think Peruvian women are all that different from US women?

The US didn`t abuse me. I lived and worked there for several years in restaurants and liked it. Americans pay good tips. Especially the border hopping to Tijuana every 90 days where fun. I recently went to LA to visit friends.

Regarding your comments about USAmale. I thinks he isn`t an idiot. His Peruvians wife has a 17 year old daughter so I guess she's around 40 years old. So, he's isn´t the kind of old guy who marries a 20 year old and thinking that she marries him for love.

Peruvian woman are different than US woman. It's easier to pick up and date a goodlooking girl in the US. US girls love foreign men. Peruvian girls prefers Peruvian men.
asher
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby asher » Wed Jun 13, 2012 2:18 pm

Ha,Ha,Ha

To me the usa male sounds like someone that is just winding you people up. It's hilarious to read all of your comments. Why do you fall for it ?
roddd
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby roddd » Wed Jun 13, 2012 2:23 pm

chi chi wrote:
chicama wrote:CHI CHI, you should kiss the land you stand on. It treats you like a human being, and does not abuse you like other countries, the US included, abuse Peruvians in your situation.

The US didn`t abuse me. I lived and worked there for several years in restaurants and liked it. Americans pay good tips. Especially the border hopping to Tijuana every 90 days where fun. I recently went to LA to visit friends.

Regarding your comments about USAmale. I thinks he isn`t an idiot. His Peruvians wife has a 17 year old daughter so I guess she's around 40 years old. So, he's isn´t the kind of old guy who marries a 20 year old and thinking that she marries him for love.

Peruvian woman are different than US woman. It's easier to pick up and date a goodlooking girl in the US. US girls love foreign men. Peruvian girls prefers Peruvian men.

:shock:
chi chi
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby chi chi » Wed Jun 13, 2012 2:38 pm

asher wrote:Ha,Ha,Ha

To me the usa male sounds like someone that is just winding you people up. It's hilarious to read all of your comments. Why do you fall for it ?

Asher, are you his wife?
SilverbackPeru
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby SilverbackPeru » Wed Jun 13, 2012 10:32 pm

chicama wrote:
americorps wrote:Another example as to why Chi CHi should come with some sort of warning label as his advice in this case, as often is, without any legal or practical merit. It is nonsense in this case. I still worry some day someone will take chi chi's advice at face value and end up in a real disaster.

I dont know whats brought on this attack on USAmale but if you read his story he hardly sounds like John Wayne Bobbitt does he, as JWB was out partying every night and was constantly sleeping with other women and generally not a pleseant guy, but saying that its only one side of the story.

also you can´t blame people for taking the USAguys side in this, as im at a lost to totally understand the following fact that this kids father is pretty well off money wise and when the mother returns to Peru she´ll be working. In that situation with both parents working and the dad being well off why on earth would anyone have to pay maintenance to a child that isnt theirs and why would either the mother, daughter or father ask for maintenance off anyone else. Also the daughter is 17 shes not even a child anymore! Ok when shes back she´ll be studying but do what every other student does in the world, go to uni and get a part time job like everyone else!!!

I also think talking can always sort things out even when things seem at their worse, who knows it could still be turned around yet.
renodante
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby renodante » Wed Jun 13, 2012 11:24 pm

Peruvian girls prefers Peruvian men.

one of the least true things you've said, and you've said some doozies.

Return to “Expat Information”

Login  •  Register