Should we bring our house/personal things to Peru?

Answers to your qestions about moving to, and living in, Peru,
WWitch

Should we bring our house/personal things to Peru?

Postby WWitch » Sat Jun 16, 2012 10:14 am

Should we import our household/personal things to Lima? My 9 year old daughter is very attached to her things and we have collected paintings etc. from or travels and want to bring these to Peru to make our place feel like home. I've seen the posts about customs but they are a few years old - has the situation changed? Is it still a lottery on how much import tax we will have to pay in terms of how much customs 'thinks' our goods are worth and more to the point are our things safe or do some things go 'missing'?

Advice please ........... a bigs thanks in advance ........ :)

chi chi
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: Should we bring our house/personal things to Peru?

Postby chi chi » Sun Jun 17, 2012 3:40 pm

If you take into account the transportation costs and customs taxes then it will probably work out cheaper and give you less hassle to sell your things and buy them new here in Peru. Most things are far cheaper. Especially furniture and general household items.

Regarding to electrical items everythings is 220V here. If it's different in your home country then you will need a transformador.

Regarding to the paintings and personal things of your daughter, keep receipts if you have them to show to customs. But this is Peru, so you never know with customs.
Omikron
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: Should we bring our house/personal things to Peru?

Postby Omikron » Mon Jun 18, 2012 3:11 pm

Are you or your husband/wife a Peruvian returning to Peru after years of working abroad?
If that is so, then you could apply to the following Migration Incentive law (In Spanish only), created for Peruvians that would like to return to Peru.

http://www.aduanet.gob.pe/aduanas/informca/LeyIM.htm

I'm aware of this law because a friend of mine is applying to it next month, and I'm having stuff brought by him in containers which I couldn't bring by myself as a plane passenger, for example a Left handed Electric bass (impossible to find instruments for lefties here) and a rod hockey game :P. Basically, household items up to USD 30,000 are exempted of tax

Return to “Expat Information”

Login  •  Register