Peru ID and avoiding tourist airline taxes

Answers to your qestions about moving to, and living in, Peru,
goalie3443
Gold Member
Gold Member

Peru ID and avoiding tourist airline taxes

Postby goalie3443 » Mon Jul 30, 2012 10:00 pm

I have been married to a Peruvian for almost 3 years, most of which has been spent in the USA. Can I obtain an ID or DNI and will that allow me to avoid the high airline taxes for foreigners?

Also, how about dual citizenship? Thanks

Jeffe

http://mochilerosperu.wordpress.com
Peru Budget Travel and Review Blog
chi chi
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: Peru ID and avoiding tourist airline taxes

Postby chi chi » Mon Jul 30, 2012 10:15 pm

goalie3443 wrote:I have been married to a Peruvian for almost 3 years, most of which has been spent in the USA. Can I obtain an ID or DNI and will that allow me to avoid the high airline taxes for foreigners?

Airport fees and government taxes are the same for foreigners as for Peruvians.
goalie3443
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby goalie3443 » Mon Jul 30, 2012 10:23 pm

chi chi wrote:
goalie3443 wrote:I have been married to a Peruvian for almost 3 years, most of which has been spent in the USA. Can I obtain an ID or DNI and will that allow me to avoid the high airline taxes for foreigners?

Airport fees and government taxes are the same for foreigners as for Peruvians.

Not the last time we tried to fly to Cusco they were definately not the same price anyone else without the chichi factor that can chime in?
Jeffe

goalie3443
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby goalie3443 » Mon Jul 30, 2012 10:26 pm

Yeah and its still that way ChiChi, see http://www.lan.com/es_pe/sitio_personas/index.html and look under the search option for "Ciertas tarifas son sólo para residentes peruanos"
Jeffe

chi chi
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby chi chi » Mon Jul 30, 2012 10:35 pm

goalie3443 wrote:Yeah and its still that way ChiChi, see http://www.lan.com/es_pe/sitio_personas/index.html and look under the search option for "Ciertas tarifas son sólo para residentes peruanos"

I travelled more than 15 times with LAN from Tarapoto to Lima and never had to pay for it. I wouldn't pay it either.
3 times in Lima when boarding the return flight to Lima, they asked me if I am a resident. Of course, I said yes. I was even an illegal resident. ha ha ha
roddd
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby roddd » Tue Jul 31, 2012 3:53 am

chi chi wrote:
goalie3443 wrote:Yeah and its still that way ChiChi, see http://www.lan.com/es_pe/sitio_personas/index.html and look under the search option for "Ciertas tarifas son sólo para residentes peruanos"

I travelled more than 15 times with LAN from Tarapoto to Lima and never had to pay for it. I wouldn't pay it either.
3 times in Lima when boarding the return flight to Lima, they asked me if I am a resident. Of course, I said yes. I was even an illegal resident. ha ha ha

one day someone will report you and you will get caught sponging off the Peruvian government you wont be laughing then
teamoperu
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby teamoperu » Tue Jul 31, 2012 7:53 am

“one day someone will report you and you will get caught sponging off the Peruvian government you wont be laughing then”. You think the government gets the money? No. LAN pockets it.

It is not a tax, it is a gringo fee LAN charges to make more money. Just fly another airline to avoid it.
And it is not a citizenship issue, it is a residency requirement.

Other than this fake fee on LAN (and a couple of TACA routes), the 14% Peruvian tax and airport improvement taxes are part of all tickets regardless of airline.
sbaustin
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby sbaustin » Tue Jul 31, 2012 8:16 am

Based on the title of the post teamoperu is correct.. The tax has nothing to do with what lan charges for their base ticket prices for residents. You always have to pay the tax so that should answer the specific question.

As for Lan's overpriced non resident pricing, you can either lie to the airlines or get a carnet but I don't believe it has anything to do with your marriage to a Peruvian although you could possibly have her book the ticket and you could probably get away with it.
Philipc4u59
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby Philipc4u59 » Tue Jul 31, 2012 8:29 am

In my two experiences flying on a Peruvian airline - once Cusco, the other Santiago, Chile - I paid significantly more for a seat next to my Peruvian wife. Is this the philosophy of "Gringos can afford more" or what"? When I visited Costa Rica; they actually had signs posted outside of attractions with prices for residents & non-residents - many times the prices were double or more?

In these situations, we told the owner we wouldn't pay extra; as we had more residents than tourists in our group. Sometimes this was successful; others times we were denied. These owners turned away business for what reasons??? I am by no means the average "gringo"; I came to live in Peru as my pension in the USA placed me below the poverty level.

Thanks for listening...
Philip
fanning
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby fanning » Tue Jul 31, 2012 8:37 am

I think LAN has this 'gringo fee' only on flights on the Lima Cusco route, and Lima Arequipa route. Other destinations don't have this fee.
americorps
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby americorps » Tue Jul 31, 2012 10:30 am

fanning wrote:I think LAN has this 'gringo fee' only on flights on the Lima Cusco route, and Lima Arequipa route. Other destinations don't have this fee.

Not true actually, Lan offers that price on all their routes, but do not enforce it as strictly for the less used by tourist routes. Taca also charges the gringo price. I know, for example, they have it for Tacna because I recently directed a friend to Peruvian Airlines and she got a fare of $99 round trip instead of the $230 Lan was trying to give her. Lan gave her Peruvian partner a fare of $120.

In this case, the original poster made a mistake when she referred to the gringo price as a tax, it is not a tax, all the profits go to LAN headquarters in Chile, not to the government.

however, I give the op high praise for coining a new phrase about supposedly inaccurate information, I like it.
teamoperu
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby teamoperu » Tue Jul 31, 2012 11:13 am

Yes, LAN has it on all routes. TACA only on their Cuzco and Puerto Maldonado routes. Star and Peruvian Air do not have it.
chi chi
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby chi chi » Tue Jul 31, 2012 1:27 pm

teamoperu wrote:It is not a tax, it is a gringo fee LAN charges to make more money. Just fly another airline to avoid it.
And it is not a citizenship issue, it is a residency requirement.

Other than this fake fee on LAN (and a couple of TACA routes), the 14% Peruvian tax and airport improvement taxes are part of all tickets regardless of airline.

One time, I enquired in Lima about a ticket to Tarapoto in a LAN office in Miraflores and they told me that the $180 fee is a government tax. THIS IS A LIE. They don't want to admit that they are trying to overcharge gringos. If it was a government tax then all airlines should charge it.

I flew last year with LCPeru to Huanuco. (very nice airline, highly recommended) and they don't charge it.

But the $180 fee is a benefit for STARPERU. When I fly with TACA or LAN, I can't remember seeing gringos on the flight. When I fly with STARPERU, it's full of gringos.
sunflower
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby sunflower » Tue Jul 31, 2012 4:05 pm

goalie3443 wrote:Can I obtain an ID or DNI and will that allow me to avoid the high airline taxes for foreigners?

Now that we have sorted out the tax / gringo fee issue, we can get back to your other questions: if you live in Peru you of course can apply first for a resident visa based on your marriage. With this you get a carné allowing you to benefit from the lower prices some airlines give for residents. After two years living legally with a carné in Peru you can apply for the Peruvian nationality and your DNI. But the point is you have to live in Peru.
goalie3443
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby goalie3443 » Tue Jul 31, 2012 10:20 pm

sunflower wrote:
goalie3443 wrote:Can I obtain an ID or DNI and will that allow me to avoid the high airline taxes for foreigners?

Now that we have sorted out the tax / gringo fee issue, we can get back to your other questions: if you live in Peru you of course can apply first for a resident visa based on your marriage. With this you get a carné allowing you to benefit from the lower prices some airlines give for residents. After two years living legally with a carné in Peru you can apply for the Peruvian nationality and your DNI. But the point is you have to live in Peru.

Thanks and interesting point, we visited sacsayhuaman and they also charged a "gringo" fee. I am also a man and normally referred to as a "Guero" rather than a gringo :) . You gringos sure are funny!
Jeffe

americorps
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby americorps » Tue Jul 31, 2012 10:51 pm

The gringo price for cultural landmarks is a very different thing.

That is the national patrimony of the Peruvians, and they have to sustain the tourists and pay for more roads and garbage collection and police and other things that come with the infrastructure to sustain tourism.

Unlke the LAN thing where it is purely profit for a foreign corporation, in this case it is a government fee or tax of sorts and for good reason, and the money goes to sustain the Peruvian infrastructure.
sunflower
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby sunflower » Wed Aug 01, 2012 12:02 am

Interesting point. But why should foreigners pay more than locals? Do they leave more rubbish? Do they need more and better roads than foreign tourists? Why should foreigners pay more for sustaining the Peruvian patrimony than Peruvians? And is the additional tourist money really used to pay for infrastructure and conservation of the various archeological sites?
teamoperu
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby teamoperu » Wed Aug 01, 2012 7:10 am

I went to Colca Canyon 15 years ago. Returned recently. After 15 years of them collecting more entrance fees from gringos than locals, there has been some small improvements in the paths at the condor lookout, no improvements in the roads, indeed, few improvements anywhere and an absolutely terrible road getting there. Yet Chivay has a nice new school and nice new recreation centre (not for tourists). Even so, all this couldn't have cost a fraction of the fees they collect. Someone wallet is getting fat. So no matter how noble the argument that gringos should pay more for maintenance of patrimonial sites, it is hypothetical, the reality is gringos are being ripped off more to fatten wallets of someone.
... just like the gringo fee on LAN fattens the wallet of a foreign corporation. The argument that cheaper fares for Peruvian residents allow them better to know their own country is equally fallacious when you compare LANs prices for similar routes in other SA countries.
americorps
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby americorps » Wed Aug 01, 2012 9:13 am

while you may very well be correct, there are 2 fatal flaws with your argument.

1. You have no idea how much was collected or how the money was used, so your rant is based on a guess, again, I agree it is a reasonable guess, but really you have no clue what really happened.

2. It is not your country to decide how to use it or how the government spends it therefore it is not up to you to decide if it is just or not just, it is up to the people of Peru.
fanning
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby fanning » Wed Aug 01, 2012 10:48 am

Have a look at http://disneyworld.disney.go.com/florida-resident-tickets-passes/
Even Disney does it for local residents.
Kelly

Postby Kelly » Wed Aug 01, 2012 12:25 pm

Hey everyone - we'd like to keep this post focused on answering the question rather than the fairness of the costs - if you want to discuss that, please take it to the conversation forum - Thanks!
JanD
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby JanD » Thu Aug 02, 2012 11:29 am

So once I'm a rentista, me and my wife could benefit from those lower prices?
Could we also take the local train from Cusco to Aguas Calientes (Machu Picchu)?
chi chi
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby chi chi » Thu Aug 02, 2012 11:36 am

JanD wrote:So once I'm a rentista, me and my wife could benefit from those lower prices?
Could we also take the local train from Cusco to Aguas Calientes (Machu Picchu)?

If you get your CE or DNI you can.

Return to “Expat Information”

Login  •  Register