another almost stupid gringo mistake

Answers to your qestions about moving to, and living in, Peru,
ozziej

another almost stupid gringo mistake

Postby ozziej » Sun Oct 14, 2012 8:10 am

Another story of a close call due totally to us dropping our guard.

Bottom line, count your passports after passing security screenings at airports. We were leaving Iguazu after a family vacation and were passing thru security screening. As we have a young infant, she did not have a boarding pass. We handed the 5 passports and 4 boarding passes over to the contracted security screener at the counter who checked the passports and boarding passes, handed them back to us, and then let us through to the metal detector area.

On the other side of the metal detector, my wife counted the passports as she put them back in our bag (luckily). We had only received 4 passports back. We knew we were one short after the security area, as we had counted the 5 passports as I handed them to the security guard. I returned twice to quiz the security guard regarding the lost passport and he denied seeing 5 or missing one. It wasn't until I made him lift up his keyboard, where the passport was conveniently sitting, that he kinda smiled and said that it must have slipped there (which was physically impossible).

Pretty clever trick- with an infant, you have one less boarding pass and can easily be missed when matching up passports to boarding passes...

Anyway, it could've been a bit worse if we had departed the airport and not realised we were missing a passport. It just reiterates that you can't drop your guard at any time or with anyone...

Just thought I'd post this to raise awareness for anyone travelling with small children...

roddd
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: another almost stupid gringo mistake

Postby roddd » Sun Oct 14, 2012 9:36 am

and i thought it was just TSA you had to watch out for
http://rt.com/usa/news/tsa-stealing-from-travelers-358/
chi chi
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby chi chi » Sun Oct 14, 2012 10:25 am

roddd wrote:and i thought it was just TSA you had to watch out for
http://rt.com/usa/news/tsa-stealing-from-travelers-358/

It's not only TSA.
It's everywhere like that.

After working for over 10 years as a flight attendant, I have seen and heard a lot.

Most bagage loaders are honest but some are big thieves. In the terminals and bagage sort areas in the airport are security camaras but not in the bagage hold of the aircraft. Whilst loading the aircraft, they often go through people's bags.
And a lock on your bag won't help because they carry small plyers to cut them. Most of those locks can be opened with any key or an aircraft MRT. I often had Pax that lost their key of their handluggage and asked me to help. With an MRT, I could open 90% of them.

The safest way to avoid theft from your bag is to get them wrapped in plastic. (it takes too much time to unwrap a bag so they open an easier 'target'. ) At Lima airport they have that facility. You pay a bit of money (around $10) for it but if you have expenisive clothes or other expensive items in your bag, it's worth the investment.

Also crew often steals. If you forget something expensive like a camera or your wallet, the chance is big that the crew ''hasn't seen it.''
The normal procedure is that crewmember hand it over to the dispatcher of the airline or handling agent. Most crewmember do that but often the dispatcher or handling agent 'forget' to bring it to the office to file the lost property.

Another favourite activity by crew is the following: after the PAX disembarked, crew member do a security check. During take off, coins roll out of passengers pants pockets and end up behind the seat cushion.
After the flight, the crew 'collects' them. We called it 'tips'.
roddd
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby roddd » Sun Oct 14, 2012 10:31 am

i always wondered why people were getting their bags wrapped in lima airport now i know why
chi chi
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby chi chi » Sun Oct 14, 2012 10:38 am

roddd wrote:i always wondered why people were getting their bags wrapped in lima airport now i know why

It's the best way to avoid that they break into your bag.
Locks can be cut easily with a small plyer or they simply insert a pen in the zip and rip it open if the bag has a good lock.
Alpineprince
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby Alpineprince » Sun Oct 14, 2012 10:41 am

and it keeps your clothes smelling fresh! :D
chi chi
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby chi chi » Sun Oct 14, 2012 4:34 pm

Alpineprince wrote:and it keeps your clothes smelling fresh! :D

Just don´t leave them in there too long or they will be full of mold.

Return to “Expat Information”

Login  •  Register