Duty Free Head Up

Answers to your qestions about moving to, and living in, Peru,
rubble
Gold Member
Gold Member

Duty Free Head Up

Postby rubble » Sat Nov 03, 2012 6:38 am

Bought a couple of bottles of Pisco at the airport as they heat seal them in clear plastic bags to take on board as hand luggage. Had to give them up at Madrid when changing planes. According to the security guard, Lima is always doing this.
(Before anyone suggests that these have been taken to be used in the Xmas party, I did hear them smash as they hit the bottom of the bin. But then again, maybe someone was hiding behind the bin doing an impression of a bottle ........)

fanning
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: Duty Free Head Up

Postby fanning » Sat Nov 03, 2012 8:57 am

This is kind of 'standard' with the liquid laws. European airports only 'trust' the sealed duty free bags of other European and US airports and (EU) airlines. So even when you buy 'on board' in the Duty Free a nice Whiskey ( flying LAN or any non European airline ), which they seal, then still you cannot take it with you if you transfer to another flight in a European airport.

Too bad of a nice Pisco ! :(
canadiantraveller
Silver Member
Silver Member

Postby canadiantraveller » Sat Nov 03, 2012 10:00 am

Yes this is a pretty common thing. If you have a connection where you will need to recheck through security on your connection, you are going to lose it. However if you have a connection where you won´t need to reenter security, you should be fine.

My last trip I connected through El Salvador, flying with Taca airlines. When you arrive, you get off the plane, but stay in the same waiting area, but don´t have to go through security again, in this case your duty free is fine.
fanning
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby fanning » Sat Nov 03, 2012 10:34 am

canadiantraveller wrote:Yes this is a pretty common thing. If you have a connection where you will need to recheck through security on your connection, you are going to lose it. However if you have a connection where you won´t need to reenter security, you should be fine.

My last trip I connected through El Salvador, flying with Taca airlines. When you arrive, you get off the plane, but stay in the same waiting area, but don´t have to go through security again, in this case your duty free is fine.

This might the the case for transfers in NON European airports, but in European airports even if you are in the transit/security area, you are not allowed to board a plane with sealed Duty free bag from a Non-European / US Country.
chi chi
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby chi chi » Sat Nov 03, 2012 3:00 pm

canadiantraveller wrote:

When you connect to a flight to the US, you must pass security again at El Salvador. If you fly to other countries not.
panman
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby panman » Sat Nov 03, 2012 9:00 pm

It's very simple and perfectly legal. You simply buy the drinks outside of the airport (much cheaper) and pack it in your suitcase to be transported in the aircraft hold.
chi chi
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby chi chi » Sun Nov 04, 2012 3:40 am

panman wrote:It's very simple and perfectly legal. You simply buy the drinks outside of the airport (much cheaper) and pack it in your suitcase to be transported in the aircraft hold.

Often that is how it is with 'duty free'. It's more expensive. But many travellers think it's cheaper.

Return to “Expat Information”

Login  •  Register