Teaching English

Answers to your qestions about moving to, and living in, Peru,
aascott2

Teaching English

Postby aascott2 » Sat Nov 17, 2012 3:51 am

I will have my TEFL 120-hr certificate in December and am looking for a teaching job in Peru. Is it best to contact schools directly with my CV? I'm not sure of the reputation of these language schools. I have a list: ICPNA, Euroidiomas, English Life... does anyone have more recommendations? Or ones that I should avoid? How about the international schools?

Any information on teaching jobs in Lima would be most helpful :)

chi chi
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: Teaching English

Postby chi chi » Sat Nov 17, 2012 10:51 am

Unless you have many years teaching experience, it will be tough to get a job with the schools that you mentioned.
The biggest burden will be getting a work visa. If you come on a tourist visa then you won't be allowed to work and those schools you mentioned don't employ illegal immigrants.

Some schools might give you a job without having a work visa but expect to get paid very low or sometimes not paid at all at the end of the month. You also will have to work many hours for them.

It's hard to find a teaching job as there so much competition between applicants.

Unless you are a veteran teacher a some of the best schools, expect a very low pay. Teaching jobs in Peru pay low. It's not a good rich quick scheme up here.

A friend of mine, she gives private lessons and makes a decent living. That's between $250 and $300 a month. (That's not bad in Arequipa) But it took her over a year before she could build a customer base that could pay her that money.

I suggest that you should give it a try but make sure that you bring enough money with you to survive for a few months whilst looking for work and have enough money to be able to pay a ticket back home in case things don't work out.
dh2012
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby dh2012 » Tue Nov 20, 2012 12:19 pm

There are many schools that will employ you without a working visa on a by the hour basis,

Euroidiomas
Camelot
TCE
Langrow (be careful with this company)

to name a few

If you can get someone from Peru to give you there "recibos por honarrios" which is basically a reciept for the taxman to show that the company paid someone you will have a even better chance.

Private teaching is also a good option, make some business cards be charming and network! Students are not always dependable though... but once you get one then you will get more. You are never going to really make big money lke in Asia or the middle east though, but you can have some fun.
Jalapenomel
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby Jalapenomel » Wed Nov 21, 2012 7:27 pm

English teaching jobs at schools are pretty hard to come by here. However, if you want to do classes with companies, there are usually plenty of opportunities. Expect to be paid around 25-30 soles per class, and you could have 2 or 3 classes a day. You don't need a work visa to work.

Return to “Expat Information”

Login  •  Register