Coin Shop?

Answers to your qestions about moving to, and living in, Peru,
sunflower
Gold Member
Gold Member

Coin Shop?

Postby sunflower » Mon Dec 03, 2012 10:58 pm

Are there any coin shops in Lima that sell old coins?

craig
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: Coin Shop?

Postby craig » Tue Dec 04, 2012 8:48 am

sunflower wrote:Are there any coin shops in Lima that sell old coins?

There are a couple rather scruffy ones in the cercado de Lima on Camana between Nicolas de Pierola and Quilca, catercorner from the Bolivar Hotel. There are also street vendors in the vicinity which should not be ignored. I bought a nice 1874 silver sol at a very reasonable price from a knowledgeable guy who set up his little table adjacent to a tiny church plaza nearby.
--
It is error alone which needs the support of government. Truth can stand by itself. -- Thomas Jefferson
Omikron
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby Omikron » Tue Dec 04, 2012 2:48 pm

The hobby of collecting is a "luxury" in third world countries like this one, as it involves, dedication, investment and time. I can't tell if it's a blessing that people here are less materialistic by not collecting or by buying things they actually need and not to sell in a future, but personally, I feel it's frustrating not finding people or stores that share my hobbies. I used to collect coins, stamps, sport cards and every time I Googled for people that collected those items in Lima, I got very few results.
I might have 80 Peruvian Facebook contacts and besides 2 or 4, none of them collect anything at all and if they do, it is pirated movies, Mp3s and games, stuff they got either for free or with a really low investment.

I currently collect banknotes and State Quarters but I have to buy them from Ebay or wait for someone to bring them down here. Every time I ask my Peruvian friends : "Hey, what did your parents do with all the worthless Intis & soles banknotes & coins from the 80s? I would like to buy them from you "..their reply is always "My parents threw them or gave them away for the kids to play."
craig
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby craig » Fri Dec 28, 2012 5:08 pm

I have been satisfied buying old coins and bills from a fellow with a table on Pasaje Tambo de Belen.

Edmundo Solis Bustinza
Cel: 992502088
email: [email protected]

I just bought an 1882 silver sol from him for 80 soles. It contains about 55 soles of silver (at today's low silver price) and sells on ebay for 75 soles (and up, depending on quality). I also bought a complete series collection of inti bills from him.
--
It is error alone which needs the support of government. Truth can stand by itself. -- Thomas Jefferson
lyndelld
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby lyndelld » Wed Nov 14, 2018 9:09 am

What does one have to do to purchase silver coins for investment/protection against economic collapse? Is there any place to buy them here? Or do you have to carry them when you return from overseas?
Alan
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby Alan » Wed Nov 14, 2018 11:05 pm

jumpinjack
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby jumpinjack » Fri Nov 16, 2018 4:53 pm

lyndelld wrote:What does one have to do to purchase silver coins for investment/protection against economic collapse? Is there any place to buy them here? Or do you have to carry them when you return from overseas?

Sounds ominous, you can foresee a collapse coming?
bigdaddy
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby bigdaddy » Mon Nov 26, 2018 8:54 pm

This guy is calling silver @ $130 /oz. Eventually...
https://investingnews.com/daily/resourc ... per-ounce/
Large and in charge!
woodchuck
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby woodchuck » Tue Nov 27, 2018 8:58 am

I personally believe every portfolio should have some "hard assets" as part of the diversification.
Gold & silver are the most obvious.
Buy when there are temporary dips in price as they hold their value over time.
The economic condition/solvency of all the major countries/economies is SCARY.
Best wishes to all.
bigdaddy
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby bigdaddy » Tue Nov 27, 2018 11:24 am

On a somewhat related note..bitcon Lol!
https://nypost.com/2018/11/26/the-bitco ... -collapse/
Large and in charge!
woodchuck
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby woodchuck » Wed Nov 28, 2018 1:23 pm

Cybercurriencies SCARE ME!
No doubt many people have made a lot of money with cybers; but others have lost substantial amounts.
Do your due diligence!

Return to “Expat Information”

Login  •  Register