Mailing addresses?

Answers to your qestions about moving to, and living in, Peru,
valpuri

Mailing addresses?

Postby valpuri » Tue Dec 04, 2012 9:13 pm

I want to give our mailing address to some friends and family who want to send Christmas cards and so on, but am confused about the post codes. We are staying in Miraflores, which is Lima 18 according to the old system and 15074 according to the new one that I read has been in place since last year. But I don't see anyone using the 15074 type of postcode, will our mail get here if I say Lima 18?

Omikron
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: Mailing addresses?

Postby Omikron » Wed Dec 05, 2012 3:23 pm

I'm a local, and I didn't know about these changes until now:P...I would say..the more the merrier...so to avoid any mishandling I would use redundancy.

My mail address goes like this (I buy banknotes from Ebay, so I receive international mails every 2 weeks)

Av Pardo ###
Miraflores, Lima 18
Peru

I guess with the new changes, I would use

Miraflores, Lima 18 / 15074
Peru

Mail is sorted by people after all (I highly doubt we use lasers or optical scanners here), so I'm pretty sure the "Lima 18" is already branded in their heads for years to come.
kpw
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: Mailing addresses?

Postby kpw » Thu Dec 06, 2012 9:09 pm

Indeed a decreto supremo was passed in february 2011:

http://www.mtc.gob.pe/portal/CPOSTAL/in ... stal2.html

But then again, I was a few months ago at the Miraflores post office in Petit Thouars, when I asked how they were going to implement this change... they answered that they did not even know about such a change!

So I doubt it will be anytime soon...

Return to “Expat Information”

Login  •  Register