Spanish language school recommendations (Cheap!)

Answers to your qestions about moving to, and living in, Peru,
ghows90

Spanish language school recommendations (Cheap!)

Postby ghows90 » Wed Dec 19, 2012 10:52 am

Hello all,

I am 22 years old from England and i am moving to Lima next week for the best part of a year. One of my main aims there is to become fluent in Spanish. I have been told that Spanish speaking schools are abundant (this i have found to be true!) and cheap, which after comparing rates from numerous websites, i wouldn't really agree with. In a nutshell i wasn't expecting rates to be in the 4 figures ($) for a few weeks tutition! I am recently graduated and money is tight so finding the cheapest possible school is of upmost priority.

Does anyone have any recommendations to suggest? Any advice or suggestions would be greatly appriciated.

Cheers!

Gene

Philipc4u59
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: Spanish language school recommendations (Cheap!)

Postby Philipc4u59 » Wed Dec 19, 2012 6:31 pm

GOOD POST; I am in a similar financial position.
I have the same desires to be fluent in Spanish; hope to get some good news.

You have come to the right place, to find answers to "anything about Peru".
Best wishes,

Philip

"Jesus is the reason for the season"
Jalapenomel
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby Jalapenomel » Sat Dec 22, 2012 1:02 am

b
Last edited by Jalapenomel on Sat Dec 29, 2012 10:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
Innocent Bystander

Postby Innocent Bystander » Sat Dec 22, 2012 10:55 pm

I'm in a similar situation to the OP. I'm heading to Peru in January, and hoping to study Spanish intensively for 3-4 months before continuing my travels around South America. The schools in Lima that advertise online seem to be a little out of my price range.

Is there usually a huge difference in teaching quality between the top-tier language centers and somewhere more economically priced? If anybody has a recommendation, I'd be grateful.
panman
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby panman » Sun Dec 23, 2012 11:42 am

Perhaps it would be a good idea for a few of you to get together and share the cost of a private teacher. That way the cost will be a lot cheaper, and the class number will be far smaller than a lot of institutes.
I'm sure there must be people here that can help find someone suitably qualified.
edgeclinger
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby edgeclinger » Sun Dec 23, 2012 10:25 pm

Suggest you check out ICPNA (Instituto Cultural Peruano Norteamericano)
http://www.icpna.edu.pe
Loving Living in Lima
tony2012
Silver Member
Silver Member

Postby tony2012 » Fri Dec 28, 2012 11:34 am

Hello amigos,
I am a peruvian Spanish private teacher with 15 years of experience. I spent the last 9 years teaching
in US and I returned last May. I teach all levels at my place in Miraflores. I am very flexible with
Prices and schedules. Sessions usually are 1.5 hour and I charge 40 soles (like $15) per session in a group class. For an individual lesson would be 45 soles for a 1.5 hour session (like $17).
I provide free materials for the first sessions and then you will buy a cheap book.
If there is any concern about prices or schedules or any other thing please email me and we can discuss
that.
I wish you a very Happy New Year to all of you,
Hasta la vista amigos,
Julio :D
chi chi
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby chi chi » Fri Dec 28, 2012 11:55 am

The easiest way and cheapest way is what I did.

Get a Peruvian girlfriend and you speak Spanish very quickly.
BobLowry
Silver Member
Silver Member

Postby BobLowry » Sun Dec 30, 2012 2:43 pm

I have tried ECELA in Mira Flores. It is a little expensive but they have boarding facilities. Classes were 4 hours per day, 5 days a week. Something like $170 per week.

I also attended Idiomas Catolica in San Isidro it was the cheapest. About S/.325 per 28 days, 5 days a week for 2 hours. But you have to buy 2 books for S/.195 that can be used for a few levels. A little over 500 Soles which is now about $200. It was the least effective for me.

And I used Web Spanish, an online one-on-one tutoring system. It was a little pricey per hour (about $17) but you choose the days and hours you want. Also, no travel time or expense involved. I did not have to get up, shower, dress and travel to start a class. Just turn on the computer. When done, I am already at home. Uses Skype and a viewer for interactive stuff.

These are the ones I chose after looking and going to a bunch.
Innocent Bystander

Postby Innocent Bystander » Sun Dec 30, 2012 11:49 pm

Bob, thanks for the in-depth reply! Did you stay in the accommodations ECELA provided? Can you comment on what the apartments are like? I was planning to stay at a hostel for a couple months while studying Spanish in Lima, but perhaps living at ECELA during that time would be worthwhile.

Found a few other options too, if the OP is still interested. This is the best list of Spanish-language schools that I've come across yet, and may be a good starting place for further research:

http://archive.peruthisweek.com/dir/education/language-institutes
Tia_Maria

Postby Tia_Maria » Mon Dec 31, 2012 2:23 pm

Hi all,

I am also interested in Spanish lessons and would be keen to join a group session if that happens. Julio (Tony2012) are you charging 40 soles per group or per individual student in the group? If its per group this could be a great way to go, if we can get a few people together and split the cost.

Happy new year everyone :-)
BobLowry
Silver Member
Silver Member

Postby BobLowry » Wed Jan 02, 2013 9:41 am

Here is the ECELA website: www.ecela.com . I did not stay in the hostal as I am a Lima resident. BTW they also teach surfing and have a bunch of daily after-school activities.
Herlo

Postby Herlo » Wed Jan 02, 2013 10:15 am

Hi there,

I have recently moved to Peru and have aslo been on the search for Spanish classes. I am looking to do an intensive course of 2-3 weeks as I already have good intermediate Spanish and need to work on my profeciency. What I have found so far is that the cheaper schools in terms of cost per hour do not do intensive classes e.g. 4 hours per day and only allow you to take the 2 hours per week. I found this with idiomas catolica.
The best I have found so far in terms of value for money for intensive courses is with Peruwayna http://www.peruwayna.com/index.php . One week intensive of 20 hours at 440 soles per week. There seems to be accommodation but I do not require it so I haven´t investigated that part.

If anyone has any advice on Peruwayna it´d be good to hear too. I´m looking to start asap to keep my new years resolution!

Cheers,
Niamh
chierchio
Silver Member
Silver Member

Postby chierchio » Thu Jan 03, 2013 8:52 am

Here is some light introduction to Spanish at the South American Explorers Club in Lima.
$5 for non-members.

I actually haven't been, but it might be worth checking out.

http://www.saexplorers.org/clubhouse/lima-clubhouse
Chris from Canada
TonyLeslie
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby TonyLeslie » Thu Jan 03, 2013 9:21 am

The South American Explorers Club Spanish Lessons is for only one hour per week, hardly what many of the posters here are looking for. The teacher will do private lessons, but you would need to talk to her about what you want in relation to what she might charge.
Jalapenomel
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby Jalapenomel » Thu Jan 03, 2013 5:11 pm

Herlo wrote:Hi there,

I have recently moved to Peru and have aslo been on the search for Spanish classes. I am looking to do an intensive course of 2-3 weeks as I already have good intermediate Spanish and need to work on my profeciency. What I have found so far is that the cheaper schools in terms of cost per hour do not do intensive classes e.g. 4 hours per day and only allow you to take the 2 hours per week. I found this with idiomas catolica.
The best I have found so far in terms of value for money for intensive courses is with Peruwayna http://www.peruwayna.com/index.php . One week intensive of 20 hours at 440 soles per week. There seems to be accommodation but I do not require it so I haven´t investigated that part.

If anyone has any advice on Peruwayna it´d be good to hear too. I´m looking to start asap to keep my new years resolution!

Cheers,
Niamh
I took an intensive course via Hispana School in Miraflores for 2 weeks a couple of summers ago. We met Monday-Friday from 9 am to 1 pm for two weeks. I think El Sol also offers intensive classes as well.
Jalapenomel
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby Jalapenomel » Wed Jan 30, 2013 10:09 pm

I wanted to update that I am thrilled with my classes at Tulipan in Miraflores. Here is their Facebook page:
https://www.facebook.com/Eltulipan
Hummingbird

Postby Hummingbird » Thu Jan 31, 2013 1:13 pm

ghows90 wrote:Hello all,

I am 22 years old from England and i am moving to Lima next week for the best part of a year. One of my main aims there is to become fluent in Spanish. I have been told that Spanish speaking schools are abundant (this i have found to be true!) and cheap, which after comparing rates from numerous websites, i wouldn't really agree with. In a nutshell i wasn't expecting rates to be in the 4 figures ($) for a few weeks tutition! I am recently graduated and money is tight so finding the cheapest possible school is of upmost priority.

Does anyone have any recommendations to suggest? Any advice or suggestions would be greatly appriciated.

Cheers!

Gene

Hola Gene!

My name is Rocio, I'm Peruvian and live in England at the moment. I am a qualified UK Secondary School Teacher of Spanish. I have also taught A levels for a few years and have also taught adults. My husband and myself are relocating to Peru (Lima) in March and thought to offer my services as a Spanish teacher to expats. If you are still interested, please contact me at [email protected]

Cheers,

Rocio

Return to “Expat Information”

Login  •  Register