Living Suggestions

Answers to your qestions about moving to, and living in, Peru,
FlyFishAddict

Living Suggestions

Postby FlyFishAddict » Sun Dec 30, 2012 10:44 pm

Hello there,

I am moving to Lima in about a month, and would like to live close to the beach, in a cool neighborhood, but don't have a ton of money to spend. I could probably spend around 300 USD a month, and I should say I am looking to live alone in a pre-furnished apartment. I am also looking for a good language school, and wouldn't mind living near it, as I speak little to know spanish (but hope this changes quickly)!!!

Nice to meet y'all,

Brendan

renodante
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: Living Suggestions

Postby renodante » Mon Dec 31, 2012 11:29 am

I am moving to Lima in about a month, and would like to live close to the beach, in a cool neighborhood, but don't have a ton of money to spend. I could probably spend around 300 USD a month, and I should say I am looking to live alone in a pre-furnished apartment.

Hi, sorry to be the bearer of bad news, but you'll have to pay at least twice that, most likely even more.
caliguy
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby caliguy » Mon Dec 31, 2012 11:52 am

FlyFishAddict wrote:Hello there,

I am moving to Lima in about a month, and would like to live close to the beach, in a cool neighborhood, but don't have a ton of money to spend. I could probably spend around 300 USD a month, and I should say I am looking to live alone in a pre-furnished apartment. I am also looking for a good language school, and wouldn't mind living near it, as I speak little to know spanish (but hope this changes quickly)!!!

Nice to meet y'all,

Brendan

when you say "cool" i guess you are referring to "hip". you could probably get by with renting a room with a house full of people on that budget. Lima is getting more expensive as days go by. especially in the "cool" areas.
keep an eye on the buy and sell section on this website, or search bienes raices in Peruvian classifieds.
Buenes suerte, and Happy New Year :D
every place has it's own spirit. you just need to tune into it.
renodante
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby renodante » Mon Dec 31, 2012 1:07 pm

Yeah I was going to say "define cool."

But hell, even in a crappy neighborhood it would be hard to find a furnished place all to yourself near the beach for 300 bucks these days, almost impossible really.
renodante
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby renodante » Mon Dec 31, 2012 1:08 pm

to give you an idea 3 years ago i rented a room in a dilapidated apartment in San Miguel with no furniture in it for $100 a month, and there was nothing cool about the area. it was on faucett, main avenue to the airport, and the view out my dirty window was of an auto mechanics shop.

FlyFishAddict

Postby FlyFishAddict » Tue Jan 01, 2013 5:29 pm

I guess by cool I mean quiet, clean, has a bathroom, and a small kitchenette. I certainly don't mean hip or trendy... Within walking distance to a coffee shop for internet access wouldn't be the worst either...
tomasb
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby tomasb » Wed Jan 02, 2013 12:30 pm

I would define cool in this context to include Barranco. I do not live in Lima but another city in Peru but wondering if the poster could find something in this $300 price range in Barranco or what could he expect to pay based on his criteria?
sbaustin
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby sbaustin » Wed Jan 02, 2013 1:49 pm

Living close to a beach in a cool area and a furnished apartment (no roommates) and little or no Spanish is going to probably cost $600 to $1000 a month on a long term lease. If it is actually on the beach you can bump that up to $1000 to $2000 per month. Your expectations are probably very low as your budget is in line with renting a room in a cool area by a beach (or even a little low).
Philipc4u59
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby Philipc4u59 » Wed Jan 02, 2013 2:59 pm

I would like to echo the advice that you have received to date:

1. A cool place by the ocean will cost a lot more than you plan to spend; plus a LT lease.
2. Furnished apartments are, of course more expensive; consider buying furniture thru "buy & sell" expatperu - if you plan to stay any length of time.
3. Depending on your life-style; may I suggest looking for situations that desire a third or fourth roommate.

When I was looking for a friend; I located several great opportunities, that I would have been thrilled about - if I wasn't married with her 2 children - Barancco & Miraflores areas!!! These were all in the $300 range & furnished.

Lastly, use the expertise of expatperu; there are forums that address all your concerns & needs.

Best wishes & Happy New Year!

Philip & Rosmery
chi chi
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby chi chi » Thu Jan 03, 2013 7:38 am

FlyFishAddict wrote:Hello there,

Nice to meet y'all,

Brendan

It's possible to live of that money in Lima but your lifestyle will be far from 'cool'.

If you want to live close to the beach then you can rent a room (with shared bathroom) in Villa El Salvador, San Martin de Porres, Callao and Chorillos for around $100 a month. (I tell you in advance, those neigboorhoods aren't like Beverly Hills)

Budget around $5 a day for food if you cook at home and shop at markets.

The nearest 'good' language schools will be a 1 or 2 hour busride away. And a good language school will cost you easily $150 a month.

If your budget is $300 a month then you better move to a place outside Lima. There are many smaller cities located at the coast with a lower cost of living.

$300 is the official minimum wage in Peru. Most people in Lima can live of that because they don't pay rent as they live with their family.
Many people from the provinces move to Lima to work but share a cramped room with several others.
Jalapenomel
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby Jalapenomel » Thu Jan 03, 2013 5:07 pm

Barranco has become more expensive in the last two years, because it is the up and coming place to be. I highly doubt you will be able to find anything near the beach for less then $500 a month unfurnished unless you head south to San Bartolo or something.
fanning
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby fanning » Thu Jan 03, 2013 5:37 pm

Have a look at our studenthouse. http://www.studenthouse.pe It is almost your pricerange, only 2 blocks from Larcomar, and half a block from Larco.
Suncha
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby Suncha » Thu Jan 03, 2013 7:34 pm

Why dont you try Cabarete Dominican Republic....you can do all of the above on a $300 a month budget! And learn spanish and have the most beautiful beaches in the world!
defrag4

Postby defrag4 » Fri Jan 04, 2013 9:44 am

If your not stuck on Lima then I suggest Huanchaco, Peru in the north.

Much much cheaper, small town beach feel, and nearby the large city of Trujillo so you can get everything you need.

Return to “Expat Information”

Login  •  Register