Buying a camera in the USA by mail order from Peru

Answers to your qestions about moving to, and living in, Peru,
JanD
Gold Member
Gold Member

Buying a camera in the USA by mail order from Peru

Postby JanD » Wed Jan 09, 2013 3:57 pm

I would like to buy a Canon Powershot SX50 HS in the USA and have it send to Peru.
Why: because this camera costs abt USD 369 in the USA. In The Netherlands this camera costs abt. E 500.
Amazon.com sells this camera, but does not ship to Peru.

Does anyone know:
a) whether this is possible/allowed (liability postal services, custom rules, et cetera);
b) which USA company, selling (this) camera(s), ships also to Peru;
c) any other possibility to buy this camera for this price (not in Peru I suppose).

Tks!

Ruud
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: Buying a camera in the USA by mail order from Peru

Postby Ruud » Wed Jan 09, 2013 4:50 pm

At Saga for S/. 1599, which is less then Euro 500.

Amazon does ship to Peru, but not all brands and items. And if they do, the premium (shipping cost + estimated import duties + IGV) is so high it is not worthwhile.

There is a company specialized in shipping online sales to other countries. Have a look at http://www.fiftyone.com/

The price you mentioned is not available anymore. Amazon sells the camera now for USD 420.

Sending to Peru wil cost the extra shipping cost. When entering Peru you have to pay import duties + 19% IGV over the total value (invoice + shipping costs) of the package.

JanD wrote:I would like to buy a Canon Powershot SX50 HS in the USA and have it send to Peru.
Why: because this camera costs abt USD 369 in the USA. In The Netherlands this camera costs abt. E 500.

Does anyone know:
a) whether this is possible/allowed (liability postal services, custom rules, et cetera);
c) any other possibility to buy this camera for this price (not in Peru I suppose).

Tks!
Ruud
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby Ruud » Wed Jan 09, 2013 4:57 pm

Actually there is a company who sells thai camera on ebay who ships from Hong Kong for free to Peru. Their price is USD 427. http://stores.ebay.com/Dzone2-Digital-Shop

Good Luck!

JanD wrote:I would like to buy a Canon Powershot SX50 HS in the USA and have it send to Peru.

Does anyone know:

Tks!
caliguy
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby caliguy » Wed Jan 09, 2013 8:09 pm

i always use ebay. when you click on an item, it will tell you automatically if they ship to Peru, and how much it will cost to ship to Peru.
every place has it's own spirit. you just need to tune into it.
JanD
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby JanD » Thu Jan 17, 2013 3:45 am

Tks all for your replies!
Just one more question: if I would buy the camera in- and haved it send to Peru from let's say HongKong, would Peruvian customs claim import duties?
Tks again!
JanD
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby JanD » Thu Jan 17, 2013 3:46 am

Tks all for your replies!
Just one more question: if I would buy the camera in- and haved it send to Peru from let's say HongKong, would Peruvian customs claim import duties?
Tks again!
Philipc4u59
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby Philipc4u59 » Thu Jan 17, 2013 11:23 am

Before I came to Peru in May 2012; my soon-to-be brother-in-law asked me to buy a high-end camera for him.
He did some research & found a promotion ONLINE/INTERNET; bought the camera in Peru - w/o anxiety!
I have to learn his "techniques"; as I find it very difficult to navigate the Internet for comparison shopping.

Shipping anything to Peru is a QUAGMIRE; sometimes they allow things & the next time (same item) - NO!!!
When will Peru realize that making things so difficult; are actually costing them jobs & taxes???
Does it seem that items from China, are processed more cheaply/quickly than from USA?

Best wishes,
Philip :roll:
caliguy
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby caliguy » Thu Jan 17, 2013 8:27 pm

Philipc4u59 wrote:Before I came to Peru in May 2012; my soon-to-be brother-in-law asked me to buy a high-end camera for him.
He did some research & found a promotion ONLINE/INTERNET; bought the camera in Peru - w/o anxiety!
I have to learn his "techniques"; as I find it very difficult to navigate the Internet for comparison shopping.

Shipping anything to Peru is a QUAGMIRE; sometimes they allow things & the next time (same item) - NO!!!
When will Peru realize that making things so difficult; are actually costing them jobs & taxes???
Does it seem that items from China, are processed more cheaply/quickly than from USA?

Best wishes,

just slip them some soles under the table, and all should be well :D I have the same problem with aduana (customs) in Peru. i have dealt with them numerous times, and found that the almighty $ smoothes things out.
sunflower
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby sunflower » Thu Jan 17, 2013 11:11 pm

caliguy wrote:... and found that the almighty $ smoothes things out.

:?: Even in Peru there are laws, so there shouldn't be the need to do it. Yes I know it's more difficult and might take longer. But personally I think it's very sad that so many people here rather trust the magic of their US$ than doing what would be in the long term right for the country. I wouldn't recommend bribery, better spend some time on the SUNAT webpage, look up the exact paragraphs. then play by the rules and make this very clear. Unbelievable but true, it works.
caliguy
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby caliguy » Fri Jan 18, 2013 7:30 am

sunflower wrote:
caliguy wrote:... and found that the almighty $ smoothes things out.

:?: Even in Peru there are laws, so there shouldn't be the need to do it. Yes I know it's more difficult and might take longer. But personally I think it's very sad that so many people here rather trust the magic of their US$ than doing what would be in the long term right for the country. I wouldn't recommend bribery, better spend some time on the SUNAT webpage, look up the exact paragraphs. then play by the rules and make this very clear. Unbelievable but true, it works.

i'm not recommending bribes here, it is just a matter of speeding up the process. otherwise, they will take their time doing research on the street value of you item, even though you have invoice right in front of you, and come up with their own declared value.
sunflower
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby sunflower » Fri Jan 18, 2013 10:34 am

No matter if you just call it "speeding up the process"; you are giving money so some official changes his behavior the way you want. Sorry my English is bad, but that exactly is bribery.
caliguy
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby caliguy » Fri Jan 18, 2013 11:08 am

Best wishes,
Philip :roll:[/quote]
USA has more quality control of what is accepted. for example: i bought a lighter at the bodega the other day for 1 sole! i went to lite it, and the flame just blew up in my face, and then dropped it, and it was broke. most of the Chinese exporters to Peru have long been established, so there is no need to inspect everything that comes in.
JanD
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby JanD » Sat Jan 19, 2013 2:55 am

Still is not clear to me whether I have to pay import duties or not or where to find this..... :?:
caliguy
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby caliguy » Sat Jan 19, 2013 7:37 am

JanD wrote:Still is not clear to me whether I have to pay import duties or not or where to find this..... :?:

you will be responsible for paying the import duties on the camera.
JanD
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby JanD » Sat Jan 19, 2013 8:01 am

It is quite obvious, that when there are import duties to be paid, I am the one to pay them.

Unclear to me is, and that is my question, whether importing this camera (USD 400) is subject to paying import duties and, if affirmative, where I can find how much I have to pay.
caliguy
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby caliguy » Sat Jan 19, 2013 9:02 am

JanD wrote:It is quite obvious, that when there are import duties to be paid, I am the one to pay them.

Unclear to me is, and that is my question, whether importing this camera (USD 400) is subject to paying import duties and, if affirmative, where I can find how much I have to pay.

i believe you will be paying the standard 18% of the declared value. $400.X18%=$72.00=$472.00.
JanD
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby JanD » Sat Jan 19, 2013 9:06 am

Oops :oops:
Tks!
sunflower
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby sunflower » Sat Jan 19, 2013 10:28 am

I'm sure you have to pay duties. On the SUNAT webpage (can't find the exact link at the moment) you have somewhere a list with product groups and what import fees apply. They vary between o% and up to 30% plus IGV.

Personally I wouldn't even think of importing a 400 Dollar camera. You can't really send something like this with the normal post. So you need to have it shipped with UPS, Fedex, DHL .... And as soon as your small package is here the problems start. Courier services here in Lima are known for charging strange fees, not excepting the value, using wrong product groups and then charging a higher percentage and so on.

If you can get the camera here, better pay a little bit more than go through all the hassle that await you. Other option have someone bringing it with him when coming to Peru
caliguy
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby caliguy » Sat Jan 19, 2013 11:34 am

JanD wrote:Oops :oops:
Tks!

here is a link that is very helpful and easy to use :D

http://www.dutycalculator.com/new-impor ... lculation/
rama0929
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby rama0929 » Sat Jan 19, 2013 11:44 am

In my experience, larger ticket items come out to be about the same, but in Peru there isn't or wasn't the selection I could get elsewhere. Also, there's the option to have things repaired there that would normally be pitched, which is pretty cool.
rama0929
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby rama0929 » Sat Jan 19, 2013 11:45 am

Philipc4u59 wrote:He did some research & found a promotion ONLINE/INTERNET; bought the camera in Peru - w/o anxiety!

site?
Kelly

Postby Kelly » Sat Jan 19, 2013 1:07 pm

Ripley's online shopping site has some really good deals sometimes - they have an "internet" price for a lot of products that's much lower than the store price. Probably lasts years model stuff that they're trying to get rid of, but still, really good prices.
panman
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby panman » Sat Jan 19, 2013 2:51 pm

Kelly wrote:Ripley's online shopping site has some really good deals sometimes - they have an "internet" price for a lot of products that's much lower than the store price. Probably lasts years model stuff that they're trying to get rid of, but still, really good prices.

plaza21.com also has some great deals, and definitely not just last years stock. A friend of mine recently bought 2 of the very latest Samsung smart cameras that retail at about S/. 1800 for under S/. 600 each.
Jalapenomel
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby Jalapenomel » Sat Jan 19, 2013 4:52 pm

I would be terrified that the camera would get "lost" in the mail, and then I would be out the camera and the money. I wouldn't do it.
chi chi
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby chi chi » Sat Jan 19, 2013 5:02 pm

You'll better buy it in Peru.

It might cost a little bit more but when you have a problem you can bring it to the shop to get it fixed and you get warranty.

If you buy it elsewhere, you might get warranty but you will always have to send it back where it comes from on your expense and the risk getting hassled by customs or the risk that it get lost somewhere.
Kelly

Postby Kelly » Sat Jan 19, 2013 5:35 pm

You can send it priority mail, and then insure it - if it gets lost, you're covered.

I know that my experience is not typical of everyone's but I've never a package lost in the mail here. My mom just shipped me an Amazon Kindle, regular mail, no insurance, and it got here fine in about a week.

Not recommending that for everyone, of course, just giving an example.
caliguy
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby caliguy » Sat Jan 19, 2013 6:44 pm

chi chi wrote:You'll better buy it in Peru.

It might cost a little bit more but when you have a problem you can bring it to the shop to get it fixed and you get warranty.

If you buy it elsewhere, you might get warranty but you will always have to send it back where it comes from on your expense and the risk getting hassled by customs or the risk that it get lost somewhere.

i agree, this is probably the best advise......
Jalapenomel
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby Jalapenomel » Sat Jan 19, 2013 7:11 pm

Kelly wrote:You can send it priority mail, and then insure it - if it gets lost, you're covered.

I know that my experience is not typical of everyone's but I've never a package lost in the mail here. My mom just shipped me an Amazon Kindle, regular mail, no insurance, and it got here fine in about a week.

Not recommending that for everyone, of course, just giving an example.
This is nice to know! :)
Ruud
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby Ruud » Sun Jan 20, 2013 8:15 pm

Why the Oops? This is less then the rate in The Netherlands, which is now 21% BTW on all imported goods.

JanD wrote:Oops :oops:
Tks!
lyndelld
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby lyndelld » Wed Aug 28, 2013 3:51 pm

Can you ship door to door with DHL? I sent a cheap $30 dollar electric item and never got here through serpost. I could see all sorts of problems occurring if I sent a $400 item.

sunflower wrote:I'm sure you have to pay duties. On the SUNAT webpage (can't find the exact link at the moment) you have somewhere a list with product groups and what import fees apply. They vary between o% and up to 30% plus IGV.

Personally I wouldn't even think of importing a 400 Dollar camera. You can't really send something like this with the normal post. So you need to have it shipped with UPS, Fedex, DHL .... And as soon as your small package is here the problems start. Courier services here in Lima are known for charging strange fees, not excepting the value, using wrong product groups and then charging a higher percentage and so on.

If you can get the camera here, better pay a little bit more than go through all the hassle that await you. Other option have someone bringing it with him when coming to Peru
argidd
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby argidd » Wed Aug 28, 2013 4:02 pm

lyndelld wrote:Can you ship door to door with DHL? I sent a cheap $30 dollar electric item and never got here through serpost. I could see all sorts of problems occurring if I sent a $400 item.

sunflower wrote:I'm sure you have to pay duties. On the SUNAT webpage (can't find the exact link at the moment) you have somewhere a list with product groups and what import fees apply. They vary between o% and up to 30% plus IGV.

I don't know if it is impossible... but if it is a $400 ítem, it will have to pay taxes, which means it is held at some customs agency until you pay them. I would recommend you buy it here, or wait until a family/friend can bring it, or until you travel. Taxes are so high it makes it really senseless to buy something in the US for a lower Price and ship it here.
Regards,

Argidd
Philipc4u59
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby Philipc4u59 » Thu Aug 29, 2013 10:55 am

As I have posted as a CONSUMER ADOCATE in many posts; I can share with you "horror stories" of people sending expensive cameras, computers, etc. with the actual SALES SLIP/INVOICE enclosed (with itemization - so there is proof that this is the actual price for tax purposes) & SUNAT decides on a greatly increased price!!!

Why does SUNAT have such an "attitude" problem; if they would just be FAIR (important word here); maybe more people would send items & thus the overall tax collection - would be even larger!!!

I don't recommend people "breaching the laws" with propinas or other; but sometimes Peru "forces" you to defend yourself from being over-charged (tax wise) or receiving the item in a timely manner.

As in an earlier post; Peru is getting more competitive with Internet promos & "close outs"; check locally, before you have a serious headache with the "archaic" laws of Peru. Plus as former moderator Kelly suggests, if service is needed; you can deal locally.

Good shopping to all,
BobLowry
Silver Member
Silver Member

Postby BobLowry » Tue Jan 21, 2014 7:06 am

I am interested in the exact same camera and I am wondering what you ended up doing? Where did you buy this camera and was it the best way? Thanks.

Return to “Expat Information”

Login  •  Register