SPAYING CLINICS?

Answers to your qestions about moving to, and living in, Peru,
Philipc4u59
Gold Member
Gold Member

SPAYING CLINICS?

Postby Philipc4u59 » Wed Jan 16, 2013 5:21 pm

Our daughter has a dog, some 7 months old.
We want to be responsible "parents" & have the dog - spayed.
As she has promised to pay all the costs of this mascota; are there any free/reduced clinics in Lima?

If not, what can be "loan" her to have this operation & suggested vets for same?

Muchas gracias,
Philip & Validia (our daughter) :roll:

chi chi
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: SPAYING CLINICS?

Postby chi chi » Wed Jan 16, 2013 5:25 pm

I heard there are some good and democratically priced vetenarias in Magdalena Del Mar. I heard that many rich people from San Isidro cross the border into Magdalena Del mar because it's much cheaper there than in San Isidro.
Philipc4u59
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby Philipc4u59 » Wed Jan 16, 2013 5:31 pm

YES, my sister-in-law has a vet on the corner where she lives in Magdalena Del Mar.
I remember seeing pictures of pets in the windows; near the Candy mercado off of Av. Brazil.
Thanks for the info; I guess we could call for a price...

The USA has a great program for steralizing pets; people I knew had the services for FREE!
There is nothing more heart-breaking that a hungry/stray cat or dog; these "guys" are great company.

Philip & Validia :roll:
chi chi
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby chi chi » Wed Jan 16, 2013 5:35 pm

Philipc4u59 wrote:The USA has a great program for steralizing pets; people I knew had the services for FREE!
There is nothing more heart-breaking that a hungry/stray cat or dog; these "guys" are great company.

In Peru, the government even doesn't care about people dying of illnes or hunger so the day they would slightly worry about a sick or hungry cat or dog won´t be for tommorow yet.
adrian Thorne
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby adrian Thorne » Wed Jan 16, 2013 6:21 pm

If you comply with the law and register your dog with the local Municipal most operate a free vet service for your pet, including anti rabies and other injections plus a four monthly de worming and spaying,all free of charge following the registration. If they do not have the facility I believe you can visit a neighbouring municipal clinic. The cost of this is 35 soles in my district.
I take our dog to La Molina for this service. They are fantastic people and have English to boot. We do however use our own private vet when necessary.
Philipc4u59
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby Philipc4u59 » Thu Jan 17, 2013 11:09 am

Adrian,

This is GREAT info for not just me; but all expaters.
Do you happen to have contact info for this vet clinic; or where to research online?
I tried a Google search; just received a lot of info about donating for said clinics in the provincas - I did.

Why is infomation, about virtually everything - so difficult to access for Lima?
I am so spoiled in the USA; type in a few words & 100's of responses - especially when comparison shopping.
I desire to know what others have "reviewed" as per a product/service & pricing for same.

Muchas gracias,
Philip & Validia (our daughter) :roll:
adrian Thorne
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby adrian Thorne » Thu Jan 17, 2013 11:28 am

Philip
Can I please make it clear to you. We live in Peru and at no time can we expect the same level of communication or competition as you would expect from the states or in my case the UK.
The service is opperated by your local Municipal because they are obligated to clear the streets of strays and maintain a good level of health. In my area we often get the odd wolf wander down the road and I am sure we would want some type of policing for this.
When you receive your annual municipal bill, which will be with you this month I am sure they will advertise the services available. I will pm you with my contact details if I can be of further help.

Adrian
MarcoPE
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby MarcoPE » Thu Jan 17, 2013 11:44 am

adrian Thorne wrote:Can I please make it clear to you. We live in Peru and at no time can we expect the same level of communication or competition as you would expect from the states

so true....

Anyway, Phillip, I think I saw you lived in Surquillo? (see below [click on the picture to enlarge]). Now there may be some minimal requirements, like you may have to register the dog with the municipality, pay a fee (usually not too much), etc... also you can get a lot of info about Surquillo municipalidad here:
https://www.facebook.com/munidesurquillo#!/munidesurquillo
Attachments
surquillo spay.jpg
(113.59 KiB) Downloaded 312 times
Philipc4u59
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby Philipc4u59 » Thu Jan 17, 2013 12:07 pm

Thanks guys,

We live in a large apartment complex; don't remember receiving any direct billing from the municipality?
This is great info & Adrian & I plan to comminicate - very shortly.
I need to educate myself on how to navigate the Internet in Peru; I am frustrated & intimidated.

Muchas gracias,
Surquillo; 271-3849
adrian Thorne
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby adrian Thorne » Thu Jan 17, 2013 12:36 pm

Philipc4u59 wrote:Thanks guys,

We live in a large apartment complex; don't remember receiving any direct billing from the municipality?
This is great info & Adrian & I plan to comminicate - very shortly.
I need to educate myself on how to navigate the Internet in Peru; I am frustrated & intimidated.

Muchas gracias,
Surquillo; 271-3849

Give me a call and I am sure between Mike and myself we should come up with a few answers for you. Thanks Mike for the Surquillo info.
Kelly

Postby Kelly » Thu Jan 17, 2013 1:03 pm

Personally, I would not take a female dog to a free spay clinic. Neutering a male is a fairly quick and simple procedure, but with a female it's equivalent to a getting a complete hysterectomy for a woman - I really would rather have my dog done by a vet that I trusted in a clinic. (I was a vet tech and surgical assistant in my younger days) It's a procedure that should be done under full anesthesia.

The cost of these services are not unreasonable here.

I go to Petland in Miraflores for most of our dogs needs, both cosmetic and veterinary. I like the veterinarian there, she's very good, patient and thorough.

Another very good veterinarian - although more pricey - is the Rondon Clinic at the corner of Aviation/Higuereta. It's actually walking distance from you, Philip - I used to walk my dog there for her shots. They also have 24 hour emergency attendance.
Last edited by Kelly on Fri Jan 18, 2013 11:49 am, edited 1 time in total.
Jalapenomel
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby Jalapenomel » Thu Jan 17, 2013 5:37 pm

I had my dog spayed last November, and I couldn't have found a better vet. The attention she gave my dog was incredible, and I would highly, highly recommend her. Animal Place in Miraflores. Oh and she studied in the States, so she speaks perfect English.

http://animalplacevetperu.com/Main.html
rama0929
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby rama0929 » Thu Jan 17, 2013 7:05 pm

Philipc4u59 wrote:I need to educate myself on how to navigate the Internet in Peru; I am frustrated & intimidated.

What are you trying to do?
Philipc4u59
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby Philipc4u59 » Fri Jan 18, 2013 10:11 am

Kelly,

Excellent advice; my dog experiences in the USA - were all with males.
It is obvious that the SPAYING process; is much more complicated & involved.

Our daughter has very minimal income & did promise to accept the extra expenses of a dog; but this is a situation where a "loan" (which will actually be a gift) - should be considered for this MEMBER of our family!

Thanks for the info - everyone...

Philip

PS - ramao929 - When I was in the USA, I always had a secretary that would do all the computer/Internet stuff for me; I had the money for classes - but not the time. Now, the situation is the opposite; I would welcome the opportunity to be involved with a computer class - for knowledge & meeting others. If you have any suggestions, please advise... Keep up the excellent posting!

Return to “Expat Information”

Login  •  Register