Transporting a Pet Out of Peru

Answers to your qestions about moving to, and living in, Peru,
BHTech
Member
Member
Posts: 11
Joined: Thu Jun 16, 2011 2:59 pm

Transporting a Pet Out of Peru

Postby BHTech » Wed Mar 06, 2013 11:50 am

Hi.

Maybe there is someone who has been in and out of Peru with their pet and who can assist.

Due to a family issue, I (and my cat) have to return to the States. Coming in two years ago, I flew him as cargo and was able to arrange that myself. No problems at either end of his journey.

It doesn't seem to be as easy (or affordable) to get him back out as I apparently need to use a third-party shipper, customs broker or freight forwarder.

Does anyone know of an airline which allows for the transport of a pet out of Lima where the owner can make the arrangements directly?

If not, do you know of any parties who could help with the arrangements?

Thanks.


User avatar
caliguy
Gold Member
Gold Member
Posts: 1210
Joined: Tue Jan 10, 2012 3:55 pm
Location: Lima-13

Re: Transporting a Pet Out of Peru

Postby caliguy » Thu Mar 07, 2013 6:10 pm

Lan offers pet transport. you will need a certificate of health before entering the U.S. though. take your cat to a veterinarian in Lima for the health cert :D
every place has it's own spirit. you just need to tune into it.
User avatar
Jalapenomel
Gold Member
Gold Member
Posts: 181
Joined: Tue Jun 21, 2011 10:38 am
Location: Miraflores
Contact:

Re: Transporting a Pet Out of Peru

Postby Jalapenomel » Thu Mar 07, 2013 8:14 pm

What about Continental's Pet Saver program?

I flew my pups in on American Airlines, do they not allow pets out of Peru?
Peludo
Member
Member
Posts: 10
Joined: Tue May 19, 2009 12:58 pm

Re: Transporting a Pet Out of Peru

Postby Peludo » Fri Mar 08, 2013 2:55 pm

We brought our dog in recently using www.petrelocation.com. It's pricey but it takes a lot of worry out of it.
BHTech
Member
Member
Posts: 11
Joined: Thu Jun 16, 2011 2:59 pm

Re: Transporting a Pet Out of Peru

Postby BHTech » Fri Mar 08, 2013 9:30 pm

Hi all,

Thanks for the suggestions.

I think I have found an affordable shipper to arrange his transport.

United's PetSafe program is how I got him here. I think it's a very good program.

Pets are allowed out of Peru. You may not be able to make those arrangements yourself, though.

What follows is the message I received from American:
"On November 8th, 2010, major Transportation Security Administration and Department of Homeland Security changes affected imports to and through the United States. Individuals without an established business relationship can not tender (check in) cargo shipments, including live animals.

Shipments heading to the United States require the use of a professional freight forwarder, IATA agent, or customs broker with an established business relationship with American Airlines. The freight forwarding company of your choice will provide a quote and shipping details."

Thanks.
User avatar
Jalapenomel
Gold Member
Gold Member
Posts: 181
Joined: Tue Jun 21, 2011 10:38 am
Location: Miraflores
Contact:

Re: Transporting a Pet Out of Peru

Postby Jalapenomel » Fri Mar 08, 2013 10:00 pm

BHTech wrote:Hi all,

Thanks for the suggestions.

I think I have found an affordable shipper to arrange his transport.

United's PetSafe program is how I got him here. I think it's a very good program.

Pets are allowed out of Peru. You may not be able to make those arrangements yourself, though.

What follows is the message I received from American:
"On November 8th, 2010, major Transportation Security Administration and Department of Homeland Security changes affected imports to and through the United States. Individuals without an established business relationship can not tender (check in) cargo shipments, including live animals.

Shipments heading to the United States require the use of a professional freight forwarder, IATA agent, or customs broker with an established business relationship with American Airlines. The freight forwarding company of your choice will provide a quote and shipping details."

Thanks.

I just had a friend bring her dog back to the US from Lima. I will ask her how she did it, and then I will report back to you.
User avatar
caliguy
Gold Member
Gold Member
Posts: 1210
Joined: Tue Jan 10, 2012 3:55 pm
Location: Lima-13

Re: Transporting a Pet Out of Peru

Postby caliguy » Fri Mar 08, 2013 11:16 pm

i brought my dog to Peru, and then back to the U.S. without any problems, has it changed that much :shock:
every place has it's own spirit. you just need to tune into it.
User avatar
marlia
Gold Member
Gold Member
Posts: 91
Joined: Sun Apr 18, 2010 7:08 pm

Re: Transporting a Pet Out of Peru

Postby marlia » Sat Mar 09, 2013 2:43 pm

Hello there,

I found Petwings on Planeta Mascota magazine, but I never used their service. Maybe you can contact them for more information. Petwings - Av. Petit Thouars 3831 San Isidro Telf: 4405805 / 2214956 / 815*8103 / 985091905. Website: www.petwingsperu.com and email: [email protected]. Please share information that you got from them.

Marlia
User avatar
Jalapenomel
Gold Member
Gold Member
Posts: 181
Joined: Tue Jun 21, 2011 10:38 am
Location: Miraflores
Contact:

Re: Transporting a Pet Out of Peru

Postby Jalapenomel » Mon Jun 17, 2013 5:44 pm

marlia wrote:Hello there,

I found Petwings on Planeta Mascota magazine, but I never used their service. Maybe you can contact them for more information. Petwings - Av. Petit Thouars 3831 San Isidro Telf: 4405805 / 2214956 / 815*8103 / 985091905. Website: http://www.petwingsperu.com and email: [email protected]. Please share information that you got from them.

Marlia

I contacted them, and the quote they gave me seemed pretty expensive. I am still trying to investigate on how to do this on my own.
User avatar
Jalapenomel
Gold Member
Gold Member
Posts: 181
Joined: Tue Jun 21, 2011 10:38 am
Location: Miraflores
Contact:

Re: Transporting a Pet Out of Peru

Postby Jalapenomel » Sun Jun 23, 2013 11:49 am

Jalapenomel wrote:
marlia wrote:Hello there,

I found Petwings on Planeta Mascota magazine, but I never used their service. Maybe you can contact them for more information. Petwings - Av. Petit Thouars 3831 San Isidro Telf: 4405805 / 2214956 / 815*8103 / 985091905. Website: http://www.petwingsperu.com and email: [email protected]. Please share information that you got from them.

Marlia

I contacted them, and the quote they gave me seemed pretty expensive. I am still trying to investigate on how to do this on my own.

Update, I hired PetWings, and so far, I am very pleased with their service. The dogs will head back on Thursday, and I will report back about how everything goes.
User avatar
marlia
Gold Member
Gold Member
Posts: 91
Joined: Sun Apr 18, 2010 7:08 pm

Re: Transporting a Pet Out of Peru

Postby marlia » Sun Jun 23, 2013 7:56 pm

Hello Jalapenomel,

thank you for sharing information that you got from Petwings, because I have 3 dogs at home, I really wish will bring them with us when we plan to move somewhere. Good luck for you and your dogs :)
User avatar
Jalapenomel
Gold Member
Gold Member
Posts: 181
Joined: Tue Jun 21, 2011 10:38 am
Location: Miraflores
Contact:

Re: Transporting a Pet Out of Peru

Postby Jalapenomel » Fri Jun 28, 2013 10:00 pm

Final update: PetWings was fantastic, and I would highly recommend them. She came and met the dogs about a week before the move, got all the information she needed and prepped them to leave. On the day of the move, the vet arrived at 8 am, picked up the dogs and traveled to the airport. The process for shipping the dogs takes an entire day, and she stayed with them the whole day as well as managing all the customs, paperwork, red tape, etc. She updated us with pictures and email throughout the day, and then made sure they got off safely (and emailed us with that information as well).

It would've been incredibly difficult for us to do on our own, especially with my limited Spanish and Peruvian democracy knowledge.

I would definitely recommend their services. :D

Return to “Expat Information”

Login  •  Register