Citizenship by Marriage -- it's all changed

Answers to your qestions about moving to, and living in, Peru,
jimuazu
Gold Member
Gold Member

Citizenship by Marriage -- it's all changed

Postby jimuazu » Wed Mar 27, 2013 9:06 pm

I'm just looking at doing my Peruvian Citizenship by Marriage, and it seems like the requisites changed significantly sometime in February. See here: http://www.digemin.gob.pe/servicios_nacionalizacion_inscripcion_peruano_matrimonio.html.

Having already got my marriage certificate and wife's birth certificate (both from distant highland villages) certified by RENIEC (two week turnaround in Huancayo) it seems like they'll be a write-off -- by the time I get a chance to go down to Lima they will have expired -- they want marriage certificates no more than 30 days old, it seems. They also want an INTERPOL check now -- I guess this is after the application, though, like for the CE. The spouse must also be present, it says here (but for which part of the process?), and their DNI address must be up to date. Also they want (unspecified) evidence of income, and a bunch of form letters signed and notarised. There is also an interview -- not sure if that was needed before. Oh well, look on the bright side.

chi chi
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: Citizenship by Marriage -- it's all changed

Postby chi chi » Wed Mar 27, 2013 9:37 pm

...and when you finally show up in Breña with all your paperwork, they come up with other requirements.

I sounds that you have to shop around at several immigration offices and get everything processed by the one that suits you best.

In January, I informed at the Breña office about a visa inversionista. The next day I informed about the same visa at the Iquitos office and the requirements were different.
jimuazu
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby jimuazu » Thu Mar 28, 2013 6:44 am

chi chi wrote:...and when you finally show up in Breña with all your paperwork, they come up with other requirements.

Actually they seem a lot more organized now than they were. For example, all the form letters are now provided on the website, and have you experienced the new queuing arrangements?

I sounds that you have to shop around at several immigration offices and get everything processed by the one that suits you best.

In January, I informed at the Breña office about a visa inversionista. The next day I informed about the same visa at the Iquitos office and the requirements were different.

As far as I am aware this tramite can only be done in the main office in Calle España.
jimuazu
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby jimuazu » Tue Apr 16, 2013 7:44 am

Update (after first attempt): They now require a cultural exam for Citizenship by Marriage. It is there in the requisites under the codename "evaluacion escrita". It is recommended to study the first-year Peruvian teaching materials on the following subjects: "Historia del Peru", "Geografia del Peru", "Educacion Civica", "Cultura General". The requirement is a broad but not deep knowledge of Peruvian life.

They are also looking for evidence that you really are married and living together, so imagine it is like the US or Europe and bring supporting evidence. This means evidence of property or contracts or whatever in both your names. The bit about "ingreso familiar" means (in our case at least) 1 year of bank statements showing income, translation of my employment contract, and documents showing that I've paid my tax.

Also, just as you were getting used to minor points being negotiable in discussion in Peru, here they have decided to show that Peruvians can be strict too! So the 30-day rule for marriage certificates is strict. We were hoping they'd let us off with a 40-day one since it takes so much messing about to get one certified in Junin (2 week turnaround). But no, we have to get a fresh one. I have a feeling they don't know whether they're being too strict or not strict enough -- I think too strict -- but anyway the balance may change as they settle into the new system.

All in all this is looking to be more difficult to get through than my wife's citizenship application in the UK. In the UK she got her cultural part done by sitting through a course (no exam!), and anyway it is all written in a book so you can study and know when you're finished even if you do have to do the exam.

Anyway, as ever with bureaucracy, when they say jump, just say "How high?". It's the fastest and least stressful way through the process.
panman
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby panman » Tue Apr 16, 2013 8:25 am

If you asked the majority of Peruvian students questions about " "Historia del Peru", "Geografia del Peru", "Educacion Civica", "Cultura General".
They wouldn't have a clue.
Alan
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby Alan » Tue Apr 16, 2013 10:48 am

Anybody doing this "tramite" should be careful. The information in English on the Digemin website is out-of-date, while the Spanish text is correct.

http://www.digemin.gob.pe/servicios_nac ... monio.html
http://www.digemin.gob.pe/en/servicios_ ... monio.html
Sergio Bernales
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby Sergio Bernales » Tue Apr 16, 2013 1:30 pm

So have the procedures for getting a carnet changed? And is still easier to stay married with your carnet rather than become a full citizen?
Chavin

Postby Chavin » Sun Apr 21, 2013 1:56 pm

Sergio Bernales wrote:So have the procedures for getting a carnet changed? And is still easier to stay married with your carnet rather than become a full citizen?

Yes, that's correct. You will get your carnet, but you must produce your civic wedding certificate within 30 days.
sunflower
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby sunflower » Sun Apr 21, 2013 3:01 pm

Yes the requirements for getting the Peruvian nationality are stricter since the beginning of this year.

I hope nobody minds that I'm hijacking the post. I have a related questions. As German I'm not allowed dual citizenship, so becoming a Peruvian as well isn't an option for me anyway. But I'm here now for over 6 yeas on a carné through marriage and still have to extent my residency each year. Isn't there any other option? Is there something like a unlimited resident permit in Peru? Even in Germany you can get a unlimited residency after 5 years living there. So there must be something similar in Peru.
jimuazu
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby jimuazu » Sun Apr 21, 2013 3:50 pm

sunflower wrote:I hope nobody minds that I'm hijacking the post. I have a related questions. As German I'm not allowed dual citizenship, so becoming a Peruvian as well isn't an option for me anyway. But I'm here now for over 6 yeas on a carné through marriage and still have to extent my residency each year. Isn't there any other option? Is there something like a unlimited resident permit in Peru? Even in Germany you can get a unlimited residency after 5 years living there. So there must be something similar in Peru.

See here:
http://theultimateperulist.blogspot.com ... -visa.html
and here:
http://www.digemin.gob.pe/servicios_inm ... toria.html
I don't know any more details that what I've read there.
sunflower
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby sunflower » Mon Apr 22, 2013 7:50 am

Thanks for the tip. But the problem with the inmigrante visa through marriage is, that even though my husband needs to sign a carta de garantia for me, I still have to have an income of 10 UITs. Or does my husband's income counts as well?
jimuazu
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby jimuazu » Mon May 20, 2013 7:58 pm

Update after second attempt.

Lesson learned: If they say you don't need an official legalised translation there is a significant possibility that they are lying and you will waste a lot of time and effort. We got a certified translation of my remote work contract (original in English from the UK), which is what they requested. When we got there today, they asked for some extra stamps from RREE (relaciones exteriores), but of course this is not possible because the original documents were not apostilled from the UK and stamped by RREE before translation. So this was a huge waste of time, especially because it meant my wife's and her sister's round trip around remote highland villages getting certificates and certifying them with RENIEC was likely wasted because they will expire before we can get a fully apostilled copy from the UK (which needs to wait for me to visit). (Process appears to be first a visit to a Notary Public (UK) with signatories of document, then to UK Legalization service, to RREE Lima, to official translator, then to RREE again -- the final part should be familiar from sorting out Birth certificates.)

However, they said they might accept the simple translation (certificada) if we can get paperwork from the bank showing evidence that my income really is coming from the company I say it is coming from. Our bank will take up to two weeks for this, and even then maybe it won't show the right information so it seems like a long shot.

I wish they would explain all of this up front clearly. They are very woolly on important details. I really thought that we had hit a complete dead end today and I would have to give up any idea of becoming Peruvian because of their vague and impossible-sounding requests. As it is, having researched it, it means a lot of messing around, but maybe still possible some months ahead. But I have lost all faith in them, and I can't be sure that after all that work they won't still find some detail which makes it all impossible again, or writes off weeks of effort.

(By comparison, I sorted out my wife's British citizenship successfully first attempt by simply following the instructions and gathering all the requested papers. It was a walk in the park compared to this.)

There appear to be two cultural exams a month now. You get two chances only. You are booked onto the next available one, and you can't put it off. Expect to start from zero again if you fail both. Good luck!
falconagain
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby falconagain » Tue May 21, 2013 11:10 am

What are the cultural exams about???
jimuazu
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby jimuazu » Tue May 21, 2013 6:58 pm

falconagain wrote:What are the cultural exams about???

Check out this thread: "Naturalization Exam in DIGEMIN"

http://www.expatperu.com/expatforums/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=22048

Tested is Peruvian History, Geography, Current Affairs, "Cultura General" and Civic Education. If you search through Expat Peru, you'll find a few more example questions that people have posted.
gringito
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby gringito » Tue May 21, 2013 10:22 pm

In general:
Please note that considerable changes in the Peruvian Aliens Law entered into force this year.
See the TUPA 2013!
http://www.digemin.gob.pe/documentos/TU ... IGEMIN.pdf

sunflower wrote: As German I'm not allowed dual citizenship, so becoming a Peruvian as well isn't an option for me anyway.

@Sunflower:
This is not fully correct. Germany allows double citizenship in exceptional cases - but you you have to pass through the so called “Beibehaltungsverfahren”. More Paperwork, more expenses, more etc. etc. And you have to get the OK from the “Beibehaltungsverfahren” BEFORE you file the application for the Peruvian citizenship. If you are married with a Peruvian, maybe have property in Peru, children in Peru etc. your chances are quite high that you identify reasonable grounds for double citiznships and will pass the German “Beihaltungsverfahren” successfully.

According to my point of view the Peruvian citizenship should always be considered if you have children with a Peruvian spouse. Your legal position is simply stronger.
jimuazu
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby jimuazu » Thu May 30, 2013 7:04 pm

Update (after third attempt). Success!

I got 4 SWIFT receipts from the bank to show that my income was coming from the company I said it was coming from. My wife persuaded the local bank branch to stamp them to show that they were official. I also got the normal bank statements stamped just in case -- because the ones the bank prints for you for 10 soles each look like photocopies otherwise, and they won't send us real ones in Huancayo for some reason.

I went to InterPol the same day they accepted the papers. WATCH OUT: Interpol is in the Comiseria of Monterrico now, behind Jockey Plaza. For Europeans at least, it takes 1 day for people in Lima, 2 days for people living in the provinces. I think things may be different for US folk. If you have a spare passport photo of yourself you might get seen quicker in InterPol if there is a big queue. They no longer send the result to Digemin -- you have to go back and pick it up.

The interview was yesterday. They asked a number of questions to my wife (whilst I was outside), then to me (with her outside). There was nothing too complicated -- ages of children, who lives in the house, when you got married, how you met, those kinds of basic details.

The exam was today. I studied a LOT, but I was lucky that almost all the questions had already been mentioned here on ExpatPeru. See this thread:http://www.expatperu.com/expatforums/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=22048.

They will take two weeks now to look over the papers. In two weeks I will call to check if they are ready for me to come in to get my photo and fingerprints taken. If they aren't happy, they may request more paperwork. That is all I know so far.
koplinfamilia
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby koplinfamilia » Mon Jun 03, 2013 7:49 pm

Sunflower, That is very strange that you can not hold dual citizenship as many members of my husband's family hold first their Peruvian Passport and secondly their German. Maybe it doesn't work the other way around but it is worth looking into because they enjoy the benefits of both countries.
Integrity Tourism & Transportation
ENTEL 985 059 944
RPM #949 811 404
USA Direct Line (585) 861-3106
http://www.integritytourism.com
sunflower
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby sunflower » Mon Jun 03, 2013 8:46 pm

koplinfamilia wrote:Sunflower, That is very strange that you can not hold dual citizenship as many members of my husband's family hold first their Peruvian Passport and secondly their German. Maybe it doesn't work the other way around but it is worth looking into because they enjoy the benefits of both countries.

Not sure how this worked with your husband's family. Normally when foreigners apply for the German citizenship they have to give up their for example Peruvian nationality.

Generally speaking Germans are not allowed to have dual citizenship. But there are a few exceptions, like my kids: father Peruvian, mother German, they are allowed to hold both nationalities. In my case I have to ask permission to obtain another nationality that might or might not be approved (as Gringito already stated the so called "Beibehaltungsverfahren"). During this process I would have to proof the disadvantages I would have if not having both nationalities, explain why I want to apply for another nationality, .... Additionally I would have to proof my bonding to Germany. In my case difficult and for everybody going through this expensive.
gringito
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby gringito » Mon Jun 03, 2013 11:15 pm

sunflower wrote:Generally speaking Germans are not allowed to have dual citizenship. But there are a few exceptions, like my kids: father Peruvian, mother German, they are allowed to hold both nationalities. In my case I have to ask permission to obtain another nationality that might or might not be approved (as Gringito already stated the so called "Beibehaltungsverfahren").

Sorry, Sunflower that I insist… but this is not fully correct.

You do not have to ask permission for obtaining another citizenship.
This is due to the fact that Germany (as any other nation) is not entitled to interfere with the sovereignty of another nation.
You have to ask permission for MAINTAINING (in German: “beibehalten”) your GERMAN citizenship. This is also the reason why the whole procedure is called “Beibehaltungsverfahren”.
Sure, you have to give good reasons for maintaining your German citizenship, but it is not impossible.

The fact that Germany also asks you during the “Beibehaltungsverfahren” to present reasons why you would suffer considerable disadvantages in the country the new citizenship of which you intend to adopt is – according to my legal understanding – highly questionable from the legal point of view.
Reason:
Germany, by doing so, barges into the other nation’s sovereignty since the other nationality is not Germany’s business. The cited German procedure is meant for MAINTAINING your German citizenship (not for OBTAINING the other nation’s nationality – which does not fall into Germany’s sovereignty). Consequently, any question in the German Beibehaltungsverfahren” referring to disadvantes in the country the citizenship of which you intend to obtain is clearly going to far. If I ever intend to obtain the Peruvian citizenship and have to go through the German “Beibehaltungsverfahren” this would be my first legal objection as regards.

PS:
Germany does not make a fuss if you obtain the citizenship of another country of the European Community. The fact that it still does such things with non EU countries is a “medieval relict” (as I call it). I think we will live to see that this will also change…
sunflower
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby sunflower » Mon Jun 03, 2013 11:33 pm

Yes Gringito you explained the legal part much better than I could. But if from a legal standpoint the whole procedure or parts of it are questionable or not, actually don't change anything. Fact is, I can't like many other citizens just apply for a second nationality, because the Germans generally don't allow it. You either have to find an exception that fits or need to do the Beibehaltungsverfahren where German bureaucracy puts obstacles in your way where they can.
jimuazu
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby jimuazu » Mon Jul 15, 2013 7:21 pm

Update: I visited about a month ago on the way to somewhere else because the phone number wasn't working. When I enquired, woman #2 (closer to the front) indicated that the paperwork was still all stacked up unprocessed. It seems that woman #1 had been called away to other duties for a while (which is why her phone wasn't answered).

Then I had a call last Wednesday asking me to attend for photos and fingerprints today at 9am. It was the gentleman on the desk closest to the door who handled me this time. He took a photo with a digital camera, did fingerprints on a digital reader, and then I had to sign a digital pad. Then I had to sign and finger print 3 blanks for him to prepare the certificate. Yes, it appears that I am almost Peruvian! He told me to come back Tuesday next week to pick up the final certificate (which will have a number of additional signatures by then).

Disappointment -- there is no ceremony! Just a simple hand-over of the certificate. I had learned the national anthem anyway, as it was quite handy to put myself in a suitably patriotic mood for dealing with the bureaucracy.

Another disappointment: I'd hoped they would let me use my mother's maiden name (which is also on my Peruvian marriage certificate), but it appears not. They insist it be the same as my CE, which they insisted was the same as my passport (2+ years ago). So I will be one appellido short compared to most Peruvians.

Also, the two women I'd dealt with previously were no longer there, and a different woman was sitting at woman #1's desk. So I guess they've changed around all the staff again. So remember the person you're dealing with may potentially know less than you about the precise detailed requirements, especially of unusual cases.
gringito
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby gringito » Mon Jul 15, 2013 10:06 pm

sunflower wrote:...because the Germans generally don't allow it. You either have to find an exception that fits or need to do the Beibehaltungsverfahren where German bureaucracy puts obstacles in your way where they can.

Sunflowerina: I strongly doubt that German bureaucrazy is worse than the Peruvian. If you survive here in Lima, you will survive the German Beibehaltungsverfahren.

According to a study of the U.S. army surviving is 10% skill and 90% WILL!

Run Forest ..aeh..Sunflower, runnnnnnn!!!!
gringuano
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby gringuano » Tue Jul 16, 2013 11:03 am

I showed up with all my paperwork, made all my payments and they told me my name on my passport and CE didn't match. They had no solution except to get a new passport, new CE and start over. I said [email protected]# it and stayed with the CE.
argidd
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby argidd » Tue Jul 16, 2013 3:23 pm

gringuano wrote:I showed up with all my paperwork, made all my payments and they told me my name on my passport and CE didn't match. They had no solution except to get a new passport, new CE and start over. I said [email protected]# it and stayed with the CE.

Did it really not match? Was it like a type-o, or did they moan because you didn't have a segundo apellido (which is insane because most expats don't)?
Regards,

Argidd
gringuano
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby gringuano » Wed Jul 17, 2013 11:28 am

Because on my passport it just has the first letter of my middle name, and on my CE it had the middle name spelled out. I had the same problem when I got married.
jimuazu
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby jimuazu » Tue Jul 23, 2013 11:01 pm

Update: I now have my nationality certificate "Registro de Peruanos por Matrimonio", and I have given up my CE. I am Peruvian! This is the easier part but I will write what happened anyway so that people know how it works.

I took 5 notarized copies of my CE just in case I need them for changing details on other paperwork, as recommended elsewhere, before handing it over. At the same time as taking my photos last week, the guy at the desk closest the front (seems like the one in charge of nationality in that office) also gave me form F-002 to request certified copies of the final certificate. This requires a copy of the CE and payment at Banco de la Nacion. After receiving my nationality certificate, he told me to get 6 copies of it and come back. Then I was sent to the guy at the second-to-last desk (Sr Oscar), a gentle and polite old chap, who dealt with the copies. You have to come back to pick them up, but I mentioned that I lived in Huancayo with a 12 hour round trip (actually 19 hours with current road and traffic conditions), and that I'd rather sort it out the same day, and he went off straight away and tried to get signatures on them. The person in charge was out so I had to come back anyway, but in the afternoon.

End result was that I now have the original nationality certificate and 5 certified copies of it for whatever paperwork may require them, and 5 notarized copies of my old CE. They have been very helpful in this last part -- seems like this is not part of the test (now that I'm approved). Sr Oscar joked about my punctuality on returning -- that my "hora inglesa" will have to become "hora peruana" now that I am Peruvian!

Next steps are applying for the DNI (which appears to take 3 weeks) and getting the passport (same day). I will document them briefly for completeness as they go through. I am currently without a DNI or CE so I guess the certificate takes their place.

@gringuano: I wonder whether they stress the applicants intentionally to see how much they really want citizenship. When they pushed what seemed like completely impossible requirements, and me and my wife became really hopeless, and I started talking in a resigned way that maybe I'd have to settle for permanent residence, they backed off a bit and looked for alternatives. So this is part of the test. I'm not sure whether this offers a way forward in your case, but still.
ariel
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby ariel » Wed Jul 24, 2013 5:23 pm

Congrats, jimuazu. Glad you made your way out of the labyrinthine process alive and triumphant. :D

Almost a year from now I'll start my own naturalization process and I'm pretty sure I'll look back to this thread and pick up bits of info even though I know that the citizenship rules change as frequently as my mother-in-law dyes her hair black.
marlia
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby marlia » Wed Jul 24, 2013 8:43 pm

Congratulations Jimuazu :) thank you for sharing your information
argidd
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby argidd » Thu Jul 25, 2013 10:15 am

Jimuazu, that's awesome! Congrats, and thanks for sharing!

Question... what made you decide to become a citizen and not just continue being a resident? I ask because my husband will be eligible for citizenship next year, and he considered taking on citizenship and seems hesitant at times; he kind of goes back and forth. I think he was discouraged when I told him we are obligate to vote, LOL.

Anyway, your thoughts, and anyone who went through or plans on going through the process, would be great.

Thanks!
Regards,

Argidd
jimuazu
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby jimuazu » Thu Jul 25, 2013 12:08 pm

argidd wrote:Question... what made you decide to become a citizen and not just continue being a resident? I ask because my husband will be eligible for citizenship next year, and he considered taking on citizenship and seems hesitant at times; he kind of goes back and forth. I think he was discouraged when I told him we are obligate to vote, LOL.

Well, I have a Peruvian wife, a Peruvian son, we have land here and plan to build, I'd be quite happy to die and be buried here (of old age, hopefully), I like the highlands, the mountains, the traces all around of the sun-cultures that came before, the kind of living history here (dances, etc). All in all it was not a difficult decision. It also means that I can establish myself here with less fear that I may be thrown out by future political changes in the world. If we decide someday to move elsewhere for some period then we can come back again without me having to start from scratch with the paperwork. Really it is about making permanent in paperwork terms the decisions I'd already made about my life. I think voting (or paying the fine) is a minor inconvenience!

Actually they ask you to write a few lines about your motivation for asking for citizenship, your future plans or whatever. I wrote about my long-term interest in Latin-American culture (since childhood), my especial interest in the highlands, and about trying to make a stable future for my family, which I think are all understandable reasons in terms of Peruvian thought. Certainly Peru is home to me now.

Also read Lon's reasons for choosing citizenship on the thread about the cultural exam (linked to higher up this thread).
jimuazu
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby jimuazu » Thu Jul 25, 2013 5:43 pm

Update: Thanks for all the congrats. Now starting on the DNI process -- in brief!

Requirements according to RENIEC in Huancayo (probably worth rechecking when you do it): original Acta de Matrimonio from last few months, Payment of S/31 in Banco de la Nacion code 02119 (with number from Acta de Matrimonio), copy of recent Electricity or Water bill, passport photo, and certified copy of naturalization certificate.

Unfortunately my place of birth is not in their system (coverage of the UK seems rather patchy), so this means they have to request that Lima adds it. This may take until 7-Aug due to the fiestas patrias. So it is all on hold until then. Also, there was a bit of confusion that my marriage certificate has two apellidos and my naturalization certificate just one. They are going with the naturalization certificate. Really my marriage certificate should have followed my passport and just had one.
fanning
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby fanning » Fri Jul 26, 2013 12:24 am

I had the same problem, according to my DNI i am born in Amsterdam, as my real birthplace was not in their system.. in the end it is only a code which appears on your DNI, and it hasnt given any problems so far on any document. when you apply for example for a credit card and they need your birthplace, i simply put Holland, and that is sufficient.

Also i have only one surname. If for example a bank request a motherssurname I always put nnn, or xxx and that works fine.
jimuazu
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby jimuazu » Wed Aug 07, 2013 6:19 pm

fanning wrote:I had the same problem, according to my DNI i am born in Amsterdam, as my real birthplace was not in their system.. in the end it is only a code which appears on your DNI, and it hasnt given any problems so far on any document.

Thanks for the reassurance. I went back today (since this is the day they told me to come back), and my birth district still hadn't appeared on their system. We tried to go for Inglaterra (which was on the list), but the system didn't accept it. In the end I went for the county that my birthplace was in when I was born, since the county it is in now is also not on the list. So it is kind of correct. He said Lima might still reject it. We'll see in just over 2 weeks.
windsportinperu
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby windsportinperu » Wed Aug 07, 2013 6:45 pm

jimuazu wrote:.... Now starting on the DNI process -- in brief!

Felicitaciones !! here you have a new "compatriota"
koplinfamilia
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby koplinfamilia » Wed Aug 07, 2013 7:47 pm

I'm going to take my exam on the 16th, what can I expect? Will they correct it the same day, do they take my CE that day? What is the next step in the process assuming I pass the exam... :)
Integrity Tourism & Transportation
ENTEL 985 059 944
RPM #949 811 404
USA Direct Line (585) 861-3106
http://www.integritytourism.com
jimuazu
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby jimuazu » Wed Aug 07, 2013 9:45 pm

koplinfamilia wrote:I'm going to take my exam on the 16th, what can I expect? Will they correct it the same day, do they take my CE that day? What is the next step in the process assuming I pass the exam... :)

They took us up to the staff canteen for the test. It was marked the same day when I did it. I guess you've already read the thread on the exam (linked high up this thread). Please add to that thread with whatever you learn about new questions/etc. After the exam, your application goes for further processing. Eventually (assuming all the paperwork is approved) they call you to come for photos/fingerprints and to check your certificate details. Then you come back a week later to receive your certificate and give up your CE.
MartitaAQP
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby MartitaAQP » Wed Aug 21, 2013 11:20 am

Although it's been a pill for you,I for one am really excited about them adapting the requirements for married-to-Peruvian naturalization. Having done the process on my own as a trabajador and NOT married to Peruvian, it was frustrating to watch other skip through it with no exam, no trip to LIma, etc...and end up with the same titulo de ciudania that I did. Of course, I did get a ceremony! Too bad you didn't - it was a very special moment after more than 5 years of tramites to get Peruvian citizenship. Sounds like fewer people will be becoming Peruvians now, but those who do will appreciate it more fully!
Tracyrteach
Silver Member
Silver Member

Postby Tracyrteach » Wed Aug 21, 2013 11:39 am

You guys are such troopers!!! After spending far too many months getting the CE and driver's license squared away, I don't want to get involved in any more bureaucracy here. Unfortunately, the CE is due to expire in three weeks. I'm taking the "easy" path and re-newing, but it doesn't seem to be a good long term strategy. I'm hoping the renewal is far less cumbersome than the initial.
argidd
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby argidd » Wed Aug 21, 2013 11:52 am

For sure Tracy. The renewal only means you go with your paperwork (if through marriage, with your partida de matrimonio and your partner's guarantee letter that you are still together), and pay the fee. Make sure you also have your tax up to date.

BTW, our attorney suggested doing it one month before it expired. Also, they took my husband's carnet for a few days, so make sure you have a Passport, or someother document if you need to do other paperwork, or identify yourself anywhere.
Regards,

Argidd
jimuazu
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby jimuazu » Sat Aug 24, 2013 12:23 pm

Hooray! My DNI came through today no problem, all correct, despite the different place of birth. So I think the worst is over. I have to sort out passport, bank, SUNAT, RRPP, etc, but I'll only comment here if there was some unusual difficulty that needed to be overcome.

Good luck to those still working through this tramite, or planning to do so in the future!
fanning
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby fanning » Sat Aug 24, 2013 12:37 pm

Congratulations !!
If you are registered in a business and need to change your document, you must register that in your 'Libro de Actas', then have a COPIA CERTIFICADA made out of it in a notario ( that is a bit more formal than a copia legalizada ). And together with that and a letter to Sunarp you can change your document in Sunarp as well.
lesgiu
Silver Member
Silver Member

Postby lesgiu » Tue May 31, 2016 9:18 am

jimuazu wrote:Hooray! My DNI came through today no problem, all correct, despite the different place of birth. So I think the worst is over. I have to sort out passport, bank, SUNAT, RRPP, etc, but I'll only comment here if there was some unusual difficulty that needed to be overcome.

Good luck to those still working through this tramite, or planning to do so in the future!

Jimuazu how about your peruvian passport? did you have any problem?
jimuazu
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby jimuazu » Tue May 31, 2016 9:52 am

lesgiu wrote:Jimuazu how about your peruvian passport? did you have any problem?

No, no problem at all. Passports are not a big deal in Peru because they are just issued based on your DNI. This unlike the UK where a passport is like the only identity and nationality evidence document we have, so they have to verify a lot more stuff. So passport issuing in Peru is done in just a day. I did mine in the little office in Huancayo.

Note that as soon as you are Peruvian, you cannot leave Peru unless you have a Peruvian passport. There is an emergency office in Lima airport that can issue a Peruvian passport on the spot. We had to do this for our son because we assumed that he could travel with just his British passport, but this is not the case.
goalie3443
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby goalie3443 » Tue Jul 12, 2016 1:49 am

Damn! Shouldn't have waited so long to get my citizenship! How is the test? what happens if you don't pass it? For crying out loud not like they have that many gringos trying to immigrate to Peru!

Any links to the entire ordeal?

Gras,

J
Jeffe

http://mochilerosperu.wordpress.com
Peru Budget Travel and Review Blog
jimuazu
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby jimuazu » Tue Jul 12, 2016 3:32 am

Note that there are problems getting Peruvian passports right now due to the introduction of biometric passports. The emergency passport office in Lima Airport is shut. There is at least a 5 day wait for new passports, or so I've heard. I guess in a few months all of this will be sorted out.

To the previous poster: Application for citizenship has all changed since I did it, so you need to hear from someone who's done it more recently.
TonyLeslie
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby TonyLeslie » Tue Jul 12, 2016 10:25 pm

I am going through the Citizenship by marriage at the moment. I will give update details when I have finished the ordeal, but I can tell you there is no tests for citizenship through marriage. You have to go through Interpol again, but that is no different than when you did the same for your carnet. Immigrations have the details you need at their information desk and Interpol has updated details at theirs. More details from me later.
Alan
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby Alan » Mon Jul 18, 2016 6:27 pm

jimuazu wrote:Note that there are problems getting Peruvian passports right now due to the introduction of biometric passports. The emergency passport office in Lima Airport is shut. There is at least a 5 day wait for new passports, or so I've heard. I guess in a few months all of this will be sorted out.

To the previous poster: Application for citizenship has all changed since I did it, so you need to hear from someone who's done it more recently.

Just as a sideline to the "Citizenship by Marriage" post:

The emergency passport office at the airport remains closed, and most Immigration offices are still not issuing the biometric passport. The offices in Breña and Ate are, and so too (apparently, but I can´t confirm this) is the office at Ovalo Guttierez.

They are working on an appointment basis, but if you have to travel soon, you can go and enter as a "caso especial", just be sure to bring a copy of your airline ticket, or reservation and go as early as you can (I showed up at 7am, and the Banco de la Nacion opened at 7:20). Also, if you are coming from out of town (which also makes you a caso especial), bring some kind of proof, like your bus ticket. If you do all this, you should be able to get your passport in the same day. I managed to pull it off in 4 hours today. The lines moved like clockwork and there were all kinds of staff helping out. Very impressive! Still, they are only issuing 600 passports a day, so clearly there is a backlog that will take a while to clear.
Danny55
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby Danny55 » Wed Nov 16, 2016 3:09 pm

TonyLeslie wrote:I am going through the Citizenship by marriage at the moment. I will give update details when I have finished the ordeal, but I can tell you there is no tests for citizenship through marriage. You have to go through Interpol again, but that is no different than when you did the same for your carnet. Immigrations have the details you need at their information desk and Interpol has updated details at theirs. More details from me later.

Hey Tony

How did you make out?
I am taking my paperwork in within the next week or two - what questions did you get asked in the interview?

Cheers
Dan
TonyLeslie
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby TonyLeslie » Wed Nov 16, 2016 6:13 pm

Danny55, can't help you much other than I can tell you they will go through everything in exact detail. I have put mine on hold till next year for a number of reasons, which include the tension caused in the household, the amount of hours my wife was missing from her work, (40 hours in 4 months) and we ran out of the 90 days the Interpol certificate was effective.

Having said all that, not many people would have run into the same problems that we did, that being, every official tramite we had was incorrect. That included my wifes Birth Certificate which has been in use for over 50 years, our marriage certificate through an error at the Municipality and not detected at Reneic but has been used for over 5 years and our information at Migraciones itself was incorrect even though I have updated my carnet every 6 months and no-one had picked up the error on their official records with my wifes DNI.

If I had been prepared to do Interpol again within a 15 day timetable, which with taxis from our house, the cost of Interpol and having to go through the AFP in Australia was another $/600.00 soles, I could have gone to the next step. At least I know next year when we do it again, when my wife is on holidays, all my tramites will be correct.

I can confirm they will comb every detail looking for an error. Every detail on every piece of paper will be checked, double checked, triple checked and be done every time you go back if for some reason something isn't right. Don't want to scare you, (but I am probably doing a good job) but you get the idea. There is no problem about how many times you need to go back as long as all the dates are within the time limit. If you go past 30 days for instance, you will need to get another marriage certificate for the next trip.

What I am describing is only the first step, there is more to come including a number of interviews but obviously, I have not been that far as yet.

Have fun and enjoy the experience.
Danny55
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby Danny55 » Tue Nov 22, 2016 3:35 pm

Tony

Thank you for the details - sorry to hear that you have had so many issues.
I will let you know how I get on... for those of us married to Peruvians it really should not be a huge hassle - but we are in red tape city :(

I spent a lot of time - or more like it feels like I have wasted a lot of time getting bits of paperwork together.
Cheers
Dan

TonyLeslie wrote:Danny55, can't help you much other than I can tell you they will go through everything in exact detail. I have put mine on hold till next year for a number of reasons, which include the tension caused in the household, the amount of hours my wife was missing from her work, (40 hours in 4 months) and we ran out of the 90 days the Interpol certificate was effective.

Having said all that, not many people would have run into the same problems that we did, that being, every official tramite we had was incorrect. That included my wifes Birth Certificate which has been in use for over 50 years, our marriage certificate through an error at the Municipality and not detected at Reneic but has been used for over 5 years and our information at Migraciones itself was incorrect even though I have updated my carnet every 6 months and no-one had picked up the error on their official records with my wifes DNI.

If I had been prepared to do Interpol again within a 15 day timetable, which with taxis from our house, the cost of Interpol and having to go through the AFP in Australia was another $/600.00 soles, I could have gone to the next step. At least I know next year when we do it again, when my wife is on holidays, all my tramites will be correct.

I can confirm they will comb every detail looking for an error. Every detail on every piece of paper will be checked, double checked, triple checked and be done every time you go back if for some reason something isn't right. Don't want to scare you, (but I am probably doing a good job) but you get the idea. There is no problem about how many times you need to go back as long as all the dates are within the time limit. If you go past 30 days for instance, you will need to get another marriage certificate for the next trip.

What I am describing is only the first step, there is more to come including a number of interviews but obviously, I have not been that far as yet.

Have fun and enjoy the experience.

Return to “Expat Information”

Login  •  Register