COUNTERFEIT 5 SOLES COINS...

Answers to your qestions about moving to, and living in, Peru,
Philipc4u59
Gold Member
Gold Member

COUNTERFEIT 5 SOLES COINS...

Postby Philipc4u59 » Mon Apr 15, 2013 10:11 am

Be carfeul expaters...
Over the weekend, I received 3 counterfeit 5 soles - coins; all from the same mercado.
I haven't examined closely, vs. a GOOD coin - but my Peruvian wife & daughter saw the problem immediately.

Be aware that Peru was listed as the COUNTERFEIT CASH CAPITAL OF THE (ENTIRE) WORLD - for 2010!
This is why the merchants examine every larger coin & billette - you give them; but they "missed" these coins.
I guess I have no recourse, even tho I am sure where they came from (don't like a lot of change in my pockets).

I was WRONG to assume that criminals wouldn't invest their time in 5 soles coins...

Philip :roll:

fanning
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: COUNTERFEIT 5 SOLES COINS...

Postby fanning » Mon Apr 15, 2013 1:01 pm

Today in the hotelcash I found a fake S/. 20. Of the new bills. It had a watermark ( not completely good, but the '20' showed OK, but not the flag ). The color of the 20 changed of color when moved, and it had the line with the fine-print of 20 in the bill.
So it is a good counterfeit, but you could feel the texture was not good, and some of the printing was not clear. Also in the UV light you could not see nothing ( that's how I detected it in the first place, as I check all the bills with the UV light in my office )

I casually give them back to the receptionist, and asked them if all bills were OK, it took them a while in detecting the fake one .. So beware.
( It is now punched through in the recepcion for others to see )
Lloyd007
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby Lloyd007 » Mon Apr 15, 2013 2:48 pm

Notes are quite easy to tell the difference with, but coins I have no idea at all unless it is really obviously fake. I had a lot in the past as I travelled around Peru (coins) but in Lima the problem seems to be much smaller than in provinces, at least in my experience.
Arroz con Pollo
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby Arroz con Pollo » Mon Apr 15, 2013 3:24 pm

In other news, Lima has lots of traffic.
chi chi
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby chi chi » Mon Apr 15, 2013 6:12 pm

Philipc4u59 wrote:I was WRONG to assume that criminals wouldn't invest their time in 5 soles coins...
Philip :roll:

A fiver is quite a lot of money in Peru. Most Peruvians can live off a few a day.
And they get checked less. A 100 or 200 note get checked more thoroughly.

Also checked that you don't get foreign coins as change.

The most risky times are when new coins and notes come out because most people don't know them yet.

Same with the EURO. Many 'smart' people paid with 10 Thai Baht coins as they looked similar to the 2 EURO coins. The difference is that the Thai coins is 10 times less worth.

1.jpg
1.jpg (12.44 KiB) Viewed 1359 times
jimuazu
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby jimuazu » Tue Apr 16, 2013 7:26 am

fanning wrote:Today in the hotelcash I found a fake S/. 20. Of the new bills. It had a watermark ( not completely good, but the '20' showed OK, but not the flag ). The color of the 20 changed of color when moved, and it had the line with the fine-print of 20 in the bill.
So it is a good counterfeit, but you could feel the texture was not good, and some of the printing was not clear.

What was the alignment like in the figure 20 in the corner? The printing on front/back should align to make up a complete "20" when held up to the light. Often the alignment is bad on fake notes. It would be reassuring if it failed that check. Otherwise -- do there exist portable UV sources?

Regarding 5 soles, there is supposed to be some difference in the colour of the metal. Please also check notes/coins given to you in banks! My wife had a fake dumped on her in Banco de la Nacion. We're at their mercy with the ATMs, but so far I've had no trouble there.
chi chi
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby chi chi » Tue Apr 16, 2013 7:54 am

jimuazu wrote:Otherwise -- do there exist portable UV sources?

There are special pens to dedect fake notes.
richorozco
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby richorozco » Sun Apr 21, 2013 11:10 pm

Be careful with relying on the pens since aquanet hair spray, paper used on phonebooks such as "white pages", and other chemicals can fool the marker.

Also, slick cashiers slip you the fake notes and have fake pens so that they can show you that it is real. That way they can play dumb as say it was a mistake in giving you fake money.
chi chi
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby chi chi » Mon Apr 22, 2013 1:59 am

richorozco wrote:Be careful with relying on the pens since aquanet hair spray, paper used on phonebooks such as "white pages", and other chemicals can fool the marker.

Also, slick cashiers slip you the fake notes and have fake pens so that they can show you that it is real. That way they can play dumb as say it was a mistake in giving you fake money.

For sure, we all received and paid with fake notes without knowing it. Some copies are so good.

Return to “Expat Information”

Login  •  Register