Transporting dogs to the US.

Answers to your qestions about moving to, and living in, Peru,
Jalapenomel
Gold Member
Gold Member

Transporting dogs to the US.

Postby Jalapenomel » Mon Apr 22, 2013 10:21 am

I have seen lots of stuff regarding getting dogs to Peru, but not much on getting them back. I searched and found one post, but it wasn´t very helpful.

Has anyone successfully transported their dogs/cats back to the US and are willing to share the details on how to do so?

Thanks!

argidd
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: Transporting dogs to the US.

Postby argidd » Mon Apr 22, 2013 3:40 pm

Hi! I have not done this, but was looking into taking my cat to the UK, and first thing I did was check all their requirements.

SENASA should be the ones to tell you if there are requirements from Peru in order for your dogs to leave (personally I think the US will be more thorough) and probably require more...

I found this! Hope it's helpful!! (it does take a while to load, please be patient)
http://www.senasa.gob.pe/0/modulos/JER/ ... =1&JER=127

Best!
Argidd
Regards,

Argidd
pelirojaperuana
Silver Member
Silver Member

Postby pelirojaperuana » Mon Apr 22, 2013 5:02 pm

I did it last week. Its way easier than you think if you're flying with your dog. LAN seems to be the easiest. I've done it a few times, but this time we've moved bacj to the USA. ALL you need is a "certificado de salud" and a vacunizacion certificate from a vet. I thought it needed to be a bilingual vet or something and this time just went to my local barrio vet. S/. 150 for all her shots, frontline treatment etc. Get a good kennel, be sure they have space needed to turn around. Call airline to be sure you have a spot and you are good to go. Do certificates 10 days before leaving. You dont need any permissions other than those. Airline will ask the breed.... there are a few limits on breeds (no pit bulls, bull dogs, pugs, those who have a ahrder time breathing). When I got through immigration, I got my dog, they asked if I had dog food, 1 meal worth was fine to have and we were done. SO EASY. I did direct Lima to LA and that means she was only in the crate a total of about 11 hours, like all night. Some airlines require medicating the dog, some dont allow it. I tire mine out, take her potty a few times and give her a half of a dose so she is sleepy but aware. Easy as pie!
Jalapenomel
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby Jalapenomel » Mon Apr 22, 2013 7:48 pm

Thank you! So flying with your pet is the best way to go it seems.

I have three dogs, so they'd all have to go. We flew them via Continental's pet program, so they went cargo not underneath the plane. I would rather them fly with us and not cargo if this can be avoided, but it seems that they can!

Thanks!

Return to “Expat Information”

Login  •  Register