Naturalization Exam in DIGEMIN

This is the place where administrators will move the most commonly asked questions.

Moderators: Alan, adrian Thorne

Lon
Silver Member
Silver Member

Naturalization Exam in DIGEMIN

Postby Lon » Fri Apr 26, 2013 9:34 pm

Naturalization exam – I just took the exam this afternoon in DIGEMIN. As a public service I wanted to share the questions as best I can remember them. This is only to give you an idea of the type of questions that will be on the exam. I doubt very much these will be the same questions next time. Usually the test is given the last Friday of every month if there are people approved to take it. The exam only took about 20 minutes. There were 10 questions. Each one is worth 2 points maximum. I believe you have to get a score of at least 11 to pass. Questions as follows: 1) What is the oldest culture found in Peru that dates back 5,000 years? Possible answers – Chavin, Sechin, Caral correct answer - Caral; 2) The Inca empire was divided into four regions. What were they? Answer: Chinchasuyu (NW), Antisuyu (NE), Kuntisuyu (SW), and Qullasuyu (SE); 3) Peruvian independence was declared by who, what date and where? Answer: José de San Martín, July 28, 1821, Lima, Plaza Mayor; 4) What are the border limits of Peru? Answer: North – Ecuador and Colombia, East – Brazil, South – Bolivia and Chile, West – Pacific Ocean; 5) What is the highest snowcapped mountain in Peru? Answer: Huascarán, 6,768 msnm; 6) What is the deepest canyon in Peru, in Latin America and the world? Answer: Cotahuasi Canyon in southwestern Peru. I thought it was Colca Canyon as would most people, I assume. 7) What are the symbols in the shield of Peru? Draw two of them. Answer: (no need for this detail): There are four variants. All four share the same escutcheon or shield, consisting of three elements: the top left section shows the vicuña, the national animal, on a light-blue field, representing the fauna of Peru; the tree in the top right section is the cinchona tree (the source of quinine, a powerful anti-malarial drug and the key flavorant in tonic water), on a white background, representing the national flora; and the bottom cornucopia with coins spilling from it, on a red field, represents the mineral resources of the country. The drawing depends on your artistic ability, of course. The funny thing here is that on the top of the page was the shield next to the letterhead. Therefore, I'm pretty sure they won't have this question on the test again or at least not on a page with the shield on the top. 8) Who is the mayor of your district and who is the mayor of your province? Answer: Miraflores – Jorge Muñoz, Lima – Susan Villarán; 9) Who is the Prime Minister (President of the Council of Ministers), the President of the Congress and the President of the Judicial Power? Answer: Juan Jiménez Mayor, Victor Isla, Enrique Javier Mendoza Ramirez; 10) What does the acronym VRAE mean and what problems have there been in this area? Answer:Valle del Rio Apurimac y ENE. There have been problems of terrorism (Sendero Luminoso remantns) and narco trafficking in this area – narco terrorism. Both soldiers and police have been killed. There is a threat to the natural gas pipeline.

Apparently there is a commission that grades these tests and I should have the results next week. After that the whole file goes through four filters with the last one being the Office of the President (believe it or not he actually signs it, but I doubt that he reads it)
I hope this is helpful to those of you who will be taking this exam in the future.

argidd
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: Naturalization Exam in DIGEMIN

Postby argidd » Sat Apr 27, 2013 8:43 am

Hi Lon

Quick question, are you becoming a citizen through marriage or some other circumstance?

I'm not sure if spouses naturalizing have to take that exam as well.

Thanks for sharing!
A
Regards,

Argidd
Lon
Silver Member
Silver Member

Postby Lon » Thu May 02, 2013 1:47 pm

Nope, not marrying a Peruvian (although it's amazing how many people have suggested that - a marriage of convenience). Just doing it on my own.
Lon
Silver Member
Silver Member

Postby Lon » Thu May 02, 2013 1:52 pm

BTW, I understand from those who have taken the test a year or two ago, that it is much easier now. That's why I posted the questions - so you can see the level of difficulty. I was told on Monday, 4/29 that I passed the test with a high score. I had studied for about a week and that was enough. Be glad to help anyone else who is going through this process in any way I can .
jimuazu
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby jimuazu » Sun May 05, 2013 7:22 pm

argidd wrote:I'm not sure if spouses naturalizing have to take that exam as well.

Yes, spouses naturalizing also have to take the exam -- I am one of them. I'm trying to figure out what depth to study at. These example questions help -- thanks!

To the OP -- what books did you study with? I have a few but the accuracy in some is pretty poor -- I am having to double-check the 'facts' on the 'net.
Lon
Silver Member
Silver Member

Postby Lon » Sun May 05, 2013 9:31 pm

To answer your question about what books I used to study and how I studied, I did a lot of research just by Googling certain subjects – e.g., Peruvian authors, Peruvian history, Peruvian geography, Peruvian government – Congress, executive branch, judicial branch. I thought they were going to ask questions about the Constitution so I got a very good book that has all the articles of the Constitution, but also summarizes them after they are stated verbatim (of course not one question about the Constitution or the structure of government which was surprising to me). It is very didactic. The title is: Aprendiendo la Constitución: Guía para Profesores y Alumnos by Raúl Chanamé Orbe (expensive S/. 80). Another book I used is Formacion Ciudadana y Civica which is basically civic education. I just bought volume 1 (I think there are seven volumes) because each one costs S/.50. The exam basically had three subject areas as you can see from the questions – history, geography and current events. I figured they would probably ask the names of certain important government officials and current events which was in fact the case as you can see from questions 8, 9 and 10. I hope this helps.
onurinal
Silver Member
Silver Member

Postby onurinal » Mon May 06, 2013 1:14 am

why you guys want to become citizen I don't get it.
Lon
Silver Member
Silver Member

Why I love Peru

Postby Lon » Mon May 06, 2013 7:35 am

To answer your question here is why I love Peru and want to become a citizen. Let’s start with Lima where there is no scarcity of things to do and see – literally hundreds of great restaurants with fantastic food, both classic Peruvian and fusion with other types, museums, art shows, concerts of some of the big names in the entertainment business – Elton John, Paul McCartney, Diego Torres, Juan Luis Guerra, Julieta Vinegas, Carlos Vives, Roberto Carlos, Rod Stewart, etc. etc. etc., theaters with both comedy and drama, events such as marathons, Noche de Blanco, etc. And of course in the rest of the country unlimited adventures.

Add what I said above to the rest of the country that I have been discovering over the last 48 years. . I now plan to stay for the rest of my life so I want to make a commitment to the country that has given so much to me. If you add up all the years I have lived here the total is 12, but not consecutively. I have also come many times for work and for vacation. I first came here in 1965 as a Peace Corps volunteer and have lived here three more times. This is the fourth time I have lived here and I am planning to stay as you can see. I love this country because I feel very comfortable here knowing the language, having many friends some of whom go back 48 years. This is really a fascinating country and I think it will take me the rest of my life to fully know it. In the last 48 years I have been to virtually every part of the country with the exception of Huancavelica, Apurimac, Abancay, Madres de Dios. I would especially like to visit Manu tropical forest. I would also like to revisit some of the places I have not been to in a long time such as Puno, Huaraz, Arequipa, Cusco,Trujillo, Chiclayo, etc. I have been to Cusco and Machu Picchu six times since 1965. One of my great dreams is to walk the Inca Trail for four days (on my bucket list).
jimuazu
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby jimuazu » Mon May 06, 2013 8:21 am

Lon wrote:I hope this helps.

Yes, thankyou. When I went, they suggested getting books intended for the 'primaria', but as I say the quality is not so good. I'm finding the geography and pre-conquest history fun to study, at least. "Didactic", I had to look that up -- I think I would have been somewhat less polite. I hope that the remainder of your tramite goes smoothly.
Philipc4u59
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby Philipc4u59 » Mon May 06, 2013 9:26 am

Lon,

This is GREAT IFO, thanks from all those that will read...

It would be an HONOR & PRIVILEGE, to have you (& a companion) to our place for a nice meal.
My wife is Peruvian & a good cook; I am 62 (similar to your age) & she is 47.

This give us an idea of what an expat goes thru to become an American citizen; but I believe the process is much more involved & expensive. I would have NO PROBLEM with answering these questions if they were relative to the US; I too, enjoy history (have a unique ATLAS del Peru from 1989, some 400 pages huge!).

Philip :roll:
PS - I and my partner William have a new business - WORLD-WIDE TREASURES SA; we buy and sell antique & vintage artifacts - mostly from Peru (have had a few unique pieces from Africa, China, France, Germany,Italy). As you enjoy the HISTORY of Peru; what better way to acquire a special flavor/piece of the past???
jimuazu
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby jimuazu » Tue May 28, 2013 4:04 pm

Lon wrote: 6) What is the deepest canyon in Peru, in Latin America and the world? Answer: Cotahuasi Canyon in southwestern Peru. I thought it was Colca Canyon as would most people, I assume.

Just came back from Digemin. I was shown this same past exam as an example, and she talked me through a couple of questions to see if I seemed ready. For 6 above, I said Cañon de Cotahuasi, but apparently the correct answer is the Cañon de Apurímac! It all depends on which book you read! Peru needs an Encyclopedia Peruana to act as the authoritative reference.
Lon
Silver Member
Silver Member

Postby Lon » Thu May 30, 2013 9:15 am

jimuazu wrote:
Lon wrote: 6) What is the deepest canyon in Peru, in Latin America and the world? Answer: Cotahuasi Canyon in southwestern Peru. I thought it was Colca Canyon as would most people, I assume.

Just came back from Digemin. I was shown this same past exam as an example, and she talked me through a couple of questions to see if I seemed ready. For 6 above, I said Cañon de Cotahuasi, but apparently the correct answer is the Cañon de Apurímac! It all depends on which book you read! Peru needs an Encyclopedia Peruana to act as the authoritative reference.

You are right. Sra Grimaneza Meza, the head of the office, showed me this also. I must admit, I had never heard of it. BTW she and Sr. Percy Neyra have been extemely helpful throughout this process. I think they have changed people in Naturalization - much more helpful and positive attitude. It is also a very low key environment as I'm sure you have noticed, much like a private club. Quite a contrast to the Immigration side of the office.

FYI, I called the other day and Sra. Meza said my expediente has been signed off by the Superintendant of Immigration with no observations. She said what slows down the process is if there are observations and the applicant has to provide more information, more docuemtns, etc. I surely hope that doesn't happen. My expediente is now in the asesor legal's office.
jimuazu
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby jimuazu » Thu May 30, 2013 6:24 pm

I just did the exam this afternoon, after a LOT of study (I will post my study notes when I get back to Huancayo). However, it was a disappointment in a way because there was only one question that I hadn't seen before (i.e. posted here on the forum). So I'm not sure what to advise people studying for it ... learn everything or just learn the example questions that people post?

The new question was to name the Constitutional President of the Republic, The Minister of the Interior, and the National Superintendent of Migration. So I recommend learning all the ministers.

For reference here are the other questions that someone else posted some time back: Write down the last verse of the national anthem. Name six coastal rivers. How many volcanoes are there in Peru? How many cordilleras are there in Peru? Name the countries that share a border with Peru? Who was known as the Brujo de los Andes? Name five of Peru's departments. Name the president, the prime minister, and the president of congress. Name three Peruvian authors and at least one work by each author. The date of independence and of the Combate de Angamos.

Yes, I think they move people between offices, and this may cause problems if you're unfortunate enough to get someone who is still learning the ropes.

Lon wrote:It is also a very low key environment as I'm sure you have noticed, much like a private club. Quite a contrast to the Immigration side of the office.

FYI, I called the other day and Sra. Meza said my expediente has been signed off by the Superintendant of Immigration with no observations. She said what slows down the process is if there are observations and the applicant has to provide more information, more docuemtns, etc. I surely hope that doesn't happen. My expediente is now in the asesor legal's office.

I think I'm starting this process now. It's true that they have to get to know us and it is a more one-to-one kind of thing. After the exam, there was lots of clapping as people received their results -- especially one old guy who came out saying "Por Fin!". You can only imagine what he had been through!
jimuazu
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby jimuazu » Fri May 31, 2013 9:51 pm

I've put my study notes up on my site in case they might be of any use to anyone:
http://uazu.net/notes/nacionalidad.html
Philipc4u59
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby Philipc4u59 » Thu Jun 06, 2013 9:47 am

My wife & I had a DELIGHTFUL evening with Lon recently.
He is quite the "character"; in a good sense & makes a "mean" PISCO SOUR!
He played "throw & return" with our young dog; who was so excited for a new partner.

Any expats that haven't had the PLEASURE & PRIVILEGE of meeting Lon; is missing out on a GOOD GUY!!!

See you Monday evening, at your place Lon...

Best wishes,
Philip & Rosmery
philipc4u59@yahoo.com or 271-3849 (Aurora Este - Surquillo, close to Plaza Vea on Angamos & Principal - south)

PS - we ALWAYS have an open invitation for EVERY EXPAT (& companion); a lot of people say this (& don't really mean this) - but in our case "IT IS THE TRUTH & NOTHING BUT..." Expats, I make a wonderful ARROZ ESPECIAL - with sweet corn (Delmonte - US), fresh tomatoes, carne molida, chorizo, & lots of Mozarella.
Lon
Silver Member
Silver Member

Postby Lon » Thu Jun 06, 2013 3:32 pm

Philipc4u59 wrote:My wife & I had a DELIGHTFUL evening with Lon recently.
He is quite the "character"; in a good sense & makes a "mean" PISCO SOUR!
He played "throw & return" with our young dog; who was so excited for a new partner.

Any expats that haven't had the PLEASURE & PRIVILEGE of meeting Lon; is missing out on a GOOD GUY!!!

See you Monday evening, at your place Lon...

Best wishes,
Philip & Rosmery
philipc4u59@yahoo.com or 271-3849 (Aurora Este - Surquillo, close to Plaza Vea on Angamos & Principal - south)

PS - we ALWAYS have an open invitation for EVERY EXPAT (& companion); a lot of people say this (& don't really mean this) - but in our case "IT IS THE TRUTH & NOTHING BUT..." Expats, I make a wonderful ARROZ ESPECIAL - with sweet corn (Delmonte - US), fresh tomatoes, carne molida, chorizo, & lots of Mozarella.

Thanks for the kind words and for the great dinner and hospitality, Philip
ariel
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby ariel » Mon Aug 12, 2013 11:34 am

onurinal wrote:why you guys want to become citizen I don't get it.

A few benefits I can think of:

1. It will put you on an equal footing with your Peruvian spouse when dealing with your kids, especially with regards to traveling with them overseas and/or custody dispute.

2. I can't confirm this one about the naturalized citizens, but it should allow you to bring immediate family members to Peru on a long-term basis using visa familiar, which I suppose is easier than looking for an employer to sponsor them.

3. Enjoy whatever benefits there may be for being the local partner of foreign investors. Being called a gerente general sounds kinda cool. :)

Anyone, please feel free to correct me if I got any/all of the above wrong.
mammamia
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby mammamia » Tue Aug 20, 2013 12:13 pm

ariel wrote:

1. It will put you on an equal footing with your Peruvian spouse when dealing with your kids, especially with regards to traveling with them overseas and/or custody dispute.

2. I can't confirm this one about the naturalized citizens, but it should allow you to bring immediate family members to Peru on a long-term basis using visa familiar, which I suppose is easier than looking for an employer to sponsor them.

3. Enjoy whatever benefits there may be for being the local partner of foreign investors. Being called a gerente general sounds kinda cool. :)

ariel wrote:

Hi,

What does your nationality have to do with travelling with your kids overseas? As far as I know, one will just need his/her spouse's notarized permission to take his/her kid(s) abroad regardless of the passport one holds. Am I wrong here?
star*

Postby star* » Tue Aug 20, 2013 12:43 pm

I also took the exam last Friday 16th and let me tell you that now the exam is much more difficult then year or two ago. Now you have to score min 12 points ( of 20 ) The questions that you have posted here had nothing to do with the questions now. I am not sure if i will pass it but luckly there is a second chance. They told me that will send the results by e mail but until now i haven´t received it. How much did you wait for the results?
jimuazu
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby jimuazu » Tue Aug 20, 2013 3:38 pm

star* wrote:I also took the exam last Friday 16th and let me tell you that now the exam is much more difficult then year or two ago. Now you have to score min 12 points ( of 20 ) The questions that you have posted here had nothing to do with the questions now. I am not sure if i will pass it but luckly there is a second chance. They told me that will send the results by e mail but until now i haven´t received it. How much did you wait for the results?

They marked it the same day when I did it (2-3 months ago), same scoring system (12/20). But as I mentioned the staff keep changing, so who knows how it works now (regarding E-mail).

Can you give us an example of the type of questions you were asked? (I posted my study notes here: http://uazu.net/notes/nacionalidad.html )
koplinfamilia
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby koplinfamilia » Tue Aug 20, 2013 4:28 pm

I too took the exam on the 16th and I was extremely frustrated. I had prepared and studied for two weeks, I had all of the questiones memorized that were noted here and had taken notes on the 18 bullet points they told us to study... I also spent a few hours memorizing the strofa sexta and coro of the national himno... all to no avail, I think I failed for sure.
Last edited by koplinfamilia on Fri Aug 23, 2013 9:11 am, edited 1 time in total.
Integrity Tourism & Transportation
ENTEL 985 059 944
RPM #949 811 404
USA Direct Line (585) 861-3106
http://www.integritytourism.com
koplinfamilia
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby koplinfamilia » Tue Aug 20, 2013 4:33 pm

By the way, Jimuazu, I did use your notes to help me prepare. They were great and very extensive, but unfortunatly the test did not focus on basic facts, no questions about independence or the president, not even the departments of Peru or the symbols, the most basic things... go figure!
ENTEL 985 059 944
RPM #949 811 404
star*

Postby star* » Tue Aug 20, 2013 5:09 pm

Here are the questions of my test, I think there were like 4 or more different tests that day.

01 The lake Titicaca is situated between the territories ( regions ) of ___________ and it is considered as________________

02 Name 4 rivers that end in the pacific

03 Name 2 of the attractions that belongs to the Chavin culture

04 Then there were 4 statements about the incas and you have to tell if it is true or false
The territory of the incas was known as collasuyu ( F )
The inca was considered as the son of the inca del sol ( T )
The inca Huascar has offered 2 rooms full of gold and silver in exchange for his freedom ( F )
The inca was the mayor authority in the inca empire ( T )

05 Who can obtain the Peruvian nationality by/or as option?
06 When was the battle of Arica and who was the hero of that battle?
07 In which battle participated Jose Galvez and the date of that battle?
08 Name the 8 natural regions of Peru
09 Who is the minister of interior and the minister of tourism and foreign trade?
10 Then there were 5 or 6 names of some people between them there were names of congressman too so you have to mark with X the name which belongs to some of the 120 congressman

I am also frustrated because I expected more basic and easy questions.
ariel
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby ariel » Tue Aug 20, 2013 8:23 pm

mammamia wrote:
What does your nationality have to do with travelling with your kids overseas? As far as I know, one will just need his/her spouse's notarized permission to take his/her kid(s) abroad regardless of the passport one holds. Am I wrong here?

Hi mammamia, you're right about the notarized permission. I was just referring to a scenario where a non-Peruvian divorcee might want to gain custody and try to take the kids to their home country. Seems messy to me in so many different levels. But it would be easier if one were a naturalized citizen if only for the benefits of, say, unrestricted entry to or unlimited residence in the country while the case is ongoing; at least one hurdle is out of the way. I'm sure no spouse will easily give permission and run the risk of losing their kids for good in this situation.
koplinfamilia
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby koplinfamilia » Tue Aug 20, 2013 8:52 pm

Thanks Star, I was trying to remember them all correctly. I am also trying to put together a study sheet of all the things I didn't know on the test and I just looked up the Congressmen, there are 130! Seriously, do they think we will memorize that list! For all the folks out there, the question was something like:

Mark an X next to the Congressmen voted in for the term of 2011-2016 and then there were about 5 names listed. The only one I knew (and selected) was Fredy Otarola since he was just chosen to be the presidente (del congreso)...
ENTEL 985 059 944
RPM #949 811 404
jimuazu
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby jimuazu » Tue Aug 20, 2013 9:05 pm

star* wrote:Here are the questions of my test, I think there were like 4 or more different tests that day. I am also frustrated because I expected more basic and easy questions.

Wow, that IS a lot harder. I'm sorry you've had a difficult paper, and I hope things work out okay.
MartitaAQP
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby MartitaAQP » Wed Aug 21, 2013 11:07 am

For those preparing... Just prepare to know EVERYTHING and you'll be fine :) I took it twice...the first time was INSANELY difficult and I was underprepared because I was familiar with Peruvian culture, history, and geography, I underestimated the amount of memorization needed. For example, I was given a list of several books and needed to know the author of every single one to get points for that question. This was January 2012. I took it again in February 2012 and it was MUCH easier (I was over-prepared this time) and had at least a few basic questions along with a few trickier ones. I think the lack of consistency in difficulty is difficult to predict and control! Also, the staff were completely changed in the office between when I took the exam (and there were pretty horrible people working there who stood over us and mocked us as we took the exam) and when I completed my citizenship a year later. I saw Percy recently at the airport so I guess he's been transferred, but I pretty much like everyone working there this year and it sounds like they have been helpful with the exam too. (Last year they refused to give me ANY idea of how/what to study or prepare for). If you can get help like sample exams, do so. Also, as to what to study, get the books students use for entrance exams to the universities and study the culture/political sections of those books. Easiest way to memorize up-to-date information in a condensed form. And read newspapers! Both times I was asked about events in newspapers - once I needed to know a detail about a specific story (too difficult!) and in the second I just needed to mention something that was currently in the papers (too easy!).
koplinfamilia
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby koplinfamilia » Wed Aug 21, 2013 8:08 pm

Ok, so I am not going to be so hard on the Migracciones people because they quite obviously showed a lot of mercy on me.... I passed!! I have no idea how but I am so relieved.... if anyone needs any advice on the process please feel free to contact me. Best wishes to all of those preparing for this exam in the future!
ENTEL 985 059 944
RPM #949 811 404
stubbypeeps

Postby stubbypeeps » Sat Oct 12, 2013 7:32 am

The sample questions from previous exam candidates are very useful for exam prep. Thank you all for taking the time to post. Continuing in this spirit I took the exam yesterday (10 Oct 2013)and here's what was asked:
Name two functions and two services of DIGEMIN.
Which one of the following two people was elected to the 2011-2015 session of Congress:
Fredy Otárola or Luciana León?
Name the Minister of Defense.
Name the Minister of Development and Social Inclusion.
Name the ¨mightiest" (más caudaloso) river in Peru and who discovered it.
True or False:
--The Inca was the highest authority of the empire
-- Huascar was the 10th Inca in the line of succession
Battle of Junin: Date and name of Peruvian hero.
Name one Peruvian author and one Peruvian poet.
Which persons may obtain Peruvian citizenship?
Name two features of the Chavín culture.

Don´t freak out about insane questions (who discovered the Amazon) just skip and move on. Remember that you only need to answer 6 (technically 5 1/2) correctly to obtain the passing score of 11. Good luck!
stubbypeeps

Postby stubbypeeps » Tue Oct 22, 2013 3:11 pm

PS A DIGEMIN rep called me at home last night (10 days after taking the Oct 11 exam) to inform me that I had passed with a score of 14, just sorta squeaked by!
A final few tips:
- Learn the names of ALL of the ministers, including those obscure ministries. (Total 4 points on my exam.)
- Memorize the basics of the Law of Nationality (i.e. who can become a citizen) and the services and functions of DIGEMIN (Another 4 points on my exam).
- Cover every topic, at least superficially, on the subject list (balotario) that they give you prior to the exam.
- Don´t worry too much: there will some very easy questions, some more dificult, and maybe one or two extremely difficult ones ("Who discovered the Amazon River?").

Good luck!

Return to “Frequently Asked Questions”

Login  •  Register