Need to buy a USB Microcontroller IC

Answers to your qestions about moving to, and living in, Peru,
ariel
Gold Member
Gold Member

Need to buy a USB Microcontroller IC

Postby ariel » Fri May 31, 2013 3:12 pm

Guys, any ideas where I can find this here in Lima? The stores I've called don't have it. It's a USB microcontroller IC for a certain gadget that I have at home.

2013-04-05 17.36.49.jpg
2013-04-05 17.36.49.jpg (25.12 KiB) Viewed 1841 times

Many thanks!

Hitoruna
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: Need to buy a USB Microcontroller IC

Postby Hitoruna » Wed Jun 05, 2013 8:22 pm

Interesting.

You cant get this things delivered in Peru? ( I mean from the manufacturers)

There are no sale agents for this in Peru?
ariel
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby ariel » Wed Jun 05, 2013 8:37 pm

Hitoruna wrote:Interesting.

I can get it delivered here but it doesn't make sense to pay for shipping that is at least 3x more expensive than the item (item costs around US$6-8). Found it on eBay but the item is either in the US or Hong Kong.

Sales agents? For an IC?

Interesting indeed.
Hitoruna
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby Hitoruna » Wed Jun 05, 2013 8:45 pm

ariel wrote:
Hitoruna wrote:Interesting.

I can get it delivered here but it doesn't make sense to pay for shipping that is at least 3x more expensive than the item (item costs around US$6-8). Found it on eBay but the item is either in the US or Hong Kong.

Sales agents? For an IC?

Interesting indeed.

indeed, not only for a IC but for all kinds of circutry. I find it here so normal that I couldnt imagine that those kind of things are not available there. Pardon my ignorance
ariel
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby ariel » Wed Jun 05, 2013 8:54 pm

ariel wrote:indeed, not only for a IC but for all kinds of circutry. I find it here so normal that I couldnt imagine that those kind of things are not available there. Pardon my ignorance

I wouldn't have sought help in this forum if I hadn't exhausted my efforts to find it. Even the guy who was trying to repair the gadget in question couldn't find it.

If you happen to know where to find it, such info would be greatly appreciated. There's no need for sarcasm.
Hitoruna
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby Hitoruna » Wed Jun 05, 2013 8:59 pm

ariel wrote:
ariel wrote:indeed, not only for a IC but for all kinds of circutry. I find it here so normal that I couldnt imagine that those kind of things are not available there. Pardon my ignorance

I wouldn't have sought help in this forum if I hadn't exhausted my efforts to find it. Even the guy who was trying to repair the gadget in question couldn't find it.

If you happen to know where to find it, such info would be greatly appreciated. There's no need for sarcasm.

I ll ask around but I dont live in Peru.
Btw, I didnt use any sarcasm.
ariel
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby ariel » Wed Jun 05, 2013 9:08 pm

ariel wrote:I ll ask around but I dont live in Peru.
Btw, I didnt use any sarcasm.

Fair enough. And pardon my reaction. Just getting a little frustrated trying to find a simple spare part. I would have thought it would be easy to find here. All I'm getting from stores is a unanimous "it's out of stock" response.
Philipc4u59
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby Philipc4u59 » Thu Jun 06, 2013 9:29 am

YES, the shipping costs (& then possible tariff costs) are PROHIBITIVE in Peru!
I was looking for a good quality hair trimmer that costs 24.95 on Amazon; the shipping to Peru was over $25!!!
Is this some sort of PROTECTIONALISM that Peru subscribes to; please explain - as I have no idea?

I did find a cheap Chinese trimmer at a street vender for 25 soles; at that price, can replace many times...

Best wishes in finding your item,

Philip :roll:

PS - I am told that even if the price was $25; the government can "value" the item at what the "book" says & charge additional customs/tariff fees - accordingly. You may get a good bargain in the US & get a financial headache when you try to pick up your item at Serpost (plus wait a few hours - from experience).
ariel
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby ariel » Thu Jun 06, 2013 10:32 am

You hit the nail on the head, Philip.

Exactly what I'm saying; you just said it better.

Aside: Electronics here are so expensive you'd think they have a retirement plan for every item sold. Repeat business is not their strong suit.
Hitoruna
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby Hitoruna » Thu Jun 06, 2013 8:35 pm

There goes my hopes of setting an advanced technology company in Peru :? sigh
stuart
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby stuart » Thu Jun 06, 2013 11:40 pm

The prices are high here because of taxes and other costs.

30%+18% right off the bat. Plus the guy who imported the thing had to pay shipping anyway. Obviously the guy who imported it can't handle everything himself so he has to pay someone to help. Regardless of how cheap he can get someone to work for him, for every 100 soles in salary he has to pay about 64 soles in additional labor costs from obligatory socialized health care to 14 salaries a year. On top of all this he has to make a profit in order to live.

Peru isn't a particularly competitive place to set up any business, and the government is always looking for ways to make it less so.
Omikron
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby Omikron » Thu Jun 13, 2013 12:12 am

Quote "Found it on eBay but the item is either in the US or Hong Kong."

What's wrong if the item is located in Hong Kong? by experience, most Items from H.K./China either offer "free international Shipping" (""Free"" = Base price has been increased to include shipping :S) or they DO ship to Peru without charging a lot as opposed from the U.S.

For example, the following item that seems to match your requirement costs $9.80 and the shipping to Peru $5. Having it shipped to U.S. costs the same in this particular case. Based on your explanation on why you do not feel like buying it from H.K, $14.80 seems like a good deal.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/USB-MICROCONTRO ... 3a4e6e293a
ariel
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby ariel » Thu Jun 13, 2013 7:56 am

Omikron wrote:Quote "Found it on eBay but the item is either in the US or Hong Kong."

What's wrong if the item is located in Hong Kong? by experience, most Items from H.K./China either offer "free international Shipping" (""Free"" = Base price has been increased to include shipping :S) or they DO ship to Peru without charging a lot as opposed from the U.S.

For example, the following item that seems to match your requirement costs $9.80 and the shipping to Peru $5. Having it shipped to U.S. costs the same in this particular case. Based on your explanation on why you do not feel like buying it from H.K, $14.80 seems like a good deal.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/USB-MICROCONTRO ... 3a4e6e293a

Thanks for your response, but it's not as much about the cost as it is about the idea. It's such a small item.

Anyway, the repair guy found it a few days ago from a local store.

Return to “Expat Information”

Login  •  Register